PDA

View Full Version : We Are Not Alone: The Roswell Cover-up

FaninAma
7/2/2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287643,00.html
Interesting stuff. If something(or someone) not of this world was really discovered in Roswell why would the US government work so hard to keep it a secret?

What are the implications of society knowing there is intelligent life from another world that worries government officials?

And if some of the aliens had survived would the US government have given them a green card?

yermom
7/2/2007, 01:54 PM
haven't you seen Men in Black? :D

just the idea of their technology would be enough, probably

Petro-Sooner
7/2/2007, 01:57 PM
This should be a poll. I would be interested to see what those on the SO believe. Do they exist or are people just crazy? Or both.

OUHOMER
7/2/2007, 02:06 PM
I dont see why there couldnt be some intelligent life out here. And they could probably make their own green card.

King Crimson
7/2/2007, 02:09 PM
. And they could probably make their own green card.

sure they could, until about 7 years ago you could just go to the guy who sells guitars at the Mile High Flea Market in Denver and with a few select words buy a social security card for 50$. not that i ever saw this happen, mind you.

Boomer.....
7/2/2007, 02:09 PM
I absolutely believe that there is other life out in the universe. With millions of other galaxies, just like ours, how could there not be.

They cover up the aliens to avoid a mass panic among people and probably to find out more about them.

soonerscuba
7/2/2007, 02:10 PM
Who knows. But, it would be interesting to see the number of people that simply gave up religion if aliens were discovered.

I also think that is the reason that if a crash took place they fight so hard to keep it secret, it would change the social fabric of every society on earth overnight.

Mjcpr
7/2/2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.gamepolitics.com/images/tinfoil-hat.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
7/2/2007, 02:11 PM
Yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah.

Aliens, schmaliens. Who gives a rip whether they're here or not?

All I wanna know is what's up with all the anal probing, huh? What does jammin' a metal rod up my *** tell you about humanity other than the fact that you jammed a metal rod up my ***?

yermom
7/2/2007, 02:14 PM
some of them actually like it...

soonerscuba
7/2/2007, 02:15 PM
some of them actually like it...

God I miss that show.

Fugue
7/2/2007, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure it would do anything to religion. I would think, however, that science would take some cool new steps though because someone(aliens) has figures out how to fly spaceships around like cars.

soonerscuba
7/2/2007, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure it would do anything to religion.

I think that religion has a hard time explaining dinosaurs, let alone other intelligent life.

jk the sooner fan
7/2/2007, 02:20 PM
i just have a feeling that if there was intelligent life out there, we'd not have to rely on them showing themselves to the types that we routinely see reporting them

we've got one of the finest space programs in the world, and the space invaders show themsevles to bubba in the trailer out in the BFE....

sorry, i just dont buy it

King Crimson
7/2/2007, 02:21 PM
I think that religion has a hard time explaining dinosaurs, let alone other intelligent life.

some specific religions might, but not necessarily the concept of religion itself.

fair enough?

Fugue
7/2/2007, 02:29 PM

I don't see how that would change a person's faith in God or Jesus in a Christians faith. In fact, I bet it would increase religion on earth.

OklahomaTuba
7/2/2007, 02:31 PM
I think alien life might bolster the idea of and belief in God. If God created earth and us, he could have certainly created others and other worlds. Afterall, what is God if not other intelligent life???

Mjcpr
7/2/2007, 02:32 PM
I think alien life might bolster the idea of and belief in God. If God created earth and us, he could have certainly created others and other worlds.

I don't think he has that kind of time. Plus, he's not as young as he used to be.

OklahomaTuba
7/2/2007, 02:34 PM
I don't think he has that kind of time. Plus, he's not as young as he used to be.

I suspect he has learned what NOT to do at least.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/2/2007, 02:35 PM
Yeah. Like don't ever enter in a land war in Asia.

Or talk death with a Sicilian.

King Crimson
7/2/2007, 02:37 PM
I think alien life might bolster the idea of and belief in God. If God created earth and us, he could have certainly created others and other worlds. Afterall, what is God if not other intelligent life???

i tend to agree with this, to a degree. belief in a God.

though i think there would be a lot of sectarian weird stuff both inclusive and exclusive. just like now.

FaninAma
7/2/2007, 02:44 PM
After reading the description of the physical characteristics of the aliens found near Roswell I definitely think we could take them in basketball.

King Crimson
7/2/2007, 02:49 PM
After reading the description of the physical characteristics of the aliens found near Roswell I definitely think we could take them in basketball.

maybe, but i doubt we can get them to play BBall for supremacy--i hope their FM radio is better than ours.

toast
7/2/2007, 02:50 PM

So did Michael and Bugs

http://www.defensetech.org/images/Space%20Jam.jpg

crawfish
7/2/2007, 02:53 PM

You sure? :eek:

http://petcaretips.net/spacejam.jpg

Scott D
7/2/2007, 03:28 PM
There's intelligent life in the universe.....and they don't even want to vacation on Earth. ;)

TexasLidig8r
7/2/2007, 03:52 PM
But.. if God created mankind in his own image.... would an alien race and culture, so dramatically different than our own, perhaps with different moral and ethical values, perhaps who don't cherish life as we do... isn't it logical to assume that would cause many, many people to question their faith and the impact of organized religion?

Tailwind
7/2/2007, 03:54 PM
He created MANKIND in his own image....not ALIENKIND. Duh.

Pricetag
7/2/2007, 03:56 PM
There's intelligent life in the universe.....and they don't even want to vacation on Earth. ;)
Gallagher has some good stuff about this--he says the aliens drove by, saw a traffic jam of off road vehicles, and just kept on going.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/2/2007, 04:02 PM
I just wonder how you could take an inter-galactic journey in a 12' x 6' disc. I can't even stand flying coach overseas.

King Crimson
7/2/2007, 04:26 PM
But.. if God created mankind in his own image.... would an alien race and culture, so dramatically different than our own, perhaps with different moral and ethical values, perhaps who don't cherish life as we do... isn't it logical to assume that would cause many, many people to question their faith and the impact of organized religion?

so, yer premise begins with the idea that a God invented our "culture"?

it's logical to assume they would question it, or consider the differences, but no logical conclusion to how they/we (the people of religion, minus your distancing qualifier "organized") would respond. some faiths who cherish Creation as such and anthropomorphize existence and "being".....would be threatened, no doubt.

olevetonahill
7/2/2007, 04:44 PM
maybe, but i doubt we can get them to play BBall for supremacy--i hope their FM radio is better than ours.
Think we can Stan 1 to Challenge em ?

picasso
7/2/2007, 05:19 PM
ahem, here's the deal.

if our gubment is just to blame then why the hell is their not proof in other countries?????? is the alienseseses just landing on our turf?

:D

olevetonahill
7/2/2007, 05:21 PM
ahem, here's the deal.

if our gubment is just to blame then why the hell is their not proof in other countries?????? is the alienseseses just landing on our turf?

Hell the Russkies hid em to , Dont you read ?:eek: ;)

85Sooner
7/2/2007, 05:28 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287643,00.html
Interesting stuff. If something(or someone) not of this world was really discovered in Roswell why would the US government work so hard to keep it a secret?

What are the implications of society knowing there is intelligent life from another world that worries government officials?

And if some of the aliens had survived would the US government have given them a green card?

No green cards but free social program bennies along with healthcare and edumacation.:)

King Crimson
7/2/2007, 05:30 PM
ahem, here's the deal.

gawdamn, you don't ever listen to Art Bell or George Nori or whatever the F his name is?

anyway, no logic here either. no one said "proof". thereby your premise that it is generalizable to other countries as point of refutation does not work.

of course they are landing on our turf, they are jealous of the freedoms we have here in America and want to illegally steal jobs and clean toilets from Joe Bob or Jolene in the Meth Lab in Noble County....

OU Adonis
7/2/2007, 09:32 PM
I just wonder how you could take an inter-galactic journey in a 12' x 6' disc. I can't even stand flying coach overseas.

Yeah, thats way too small ,even the dudes being short. The only thing I would think is that they had a mothership nearby to pick them up.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/Heavensgatelogo.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
7/2/2007, 09:57 PM

Sure, but I bet they could run a bunch of trick plays and beat us in a bowl game!

Jerk
7/2/2007, 10:06 PM
oops

Jerk
7/2/2007, 10:09 PM
ahem, here's the deal.

I think people who believe in this stuff (and I'm neutral here, because I don't know if 'they' exist or not) would say that the U.F.O. went to N.M. in 1947 because they wanted to see just what kind of super-duper fire-cracker we set off in 1945.

It was a mission to investigate our discovery of nuclear energy:D

You see, we really weren't much of a threat to our cosmic neighbors until we figured out how to split the atom. Now, somewhere far away on a distant planet, the President Alien is arguing for a missle defense shield. Liberal aliens are saying, "don't worry about it! We mean them no harm, so they won't harm us!" Conservative aliens reply, "Have you studied their history? They are sure to attack us!" But liberal alien creatures will counter-argue that increased social spending out-weighs any perceived risk from rogue nuclear planets. Besides, most life-forms just want to live in peace.

I bet it's a very divisive issue.

Vaevictis
7/2/2007, 10:33 PM
Heh. My opinion on the matter... If there's alien life out there, and it's come to visit us, they're probably visiting us for the same reason we send subs down into the oceans to look at trench worms. :D

Octavian
7/3/2007, 12:06 AM
Whether life exists outside of Earth is practically guaranteed.

Whether intelligent life (civilization) exists outside of Earth is practically guaranteed.

Whether that intelligent life has found Earth and it's amazing wealth of biodiversity...that's tough. There's some good info that says yes, but there's a lot of loons who take up the cause and make it look foolish. The odds are bad, but its not an impossibility. The problem with me believing it is that so many of the proponents are people who seem to want to believe...almost like they're substituting modern prospects of alien contact for traditional forms of religion (and many of them will be the first to criticize traditional religion).

But if it is real...then these beings are at least a million years worth of technology ahead of 21st Century CE man...the complexities of space travel have limited us to trips to and from our own moon. We can't even get to our nearest planet yet...much less across our solar system or to another galaxy.

Their species has survived every social, political, economic, etc. movement imaginable. They've probably fled at least one planet over the course of those 1 million + years in order to survive war, interspace disaster, pollution, overcrowding, etc so their civilization and knowledge could avoid annihilation. Their history would be more than we could practically comprehend.

They're probably not mamilian....surely they've mastered concepts of travel that we are only starting to conceptualize. They wouldn't need any sort of fuel source. They could bend space...and maybe time. They might not even be three dimensional life forms...having tested and perfected their own M Theory several million years ago for all we know.

Hawking assesses that human contact with extraterrestrial life would be really, really, bad for us...and that's probably true. They most likely wouldn't view us as anything more than poorly organized cattle. Unless they were just some sort of benevolent intergalactic givers of knowledge and spiritualism, they probably wouldn't hesitate to squash us like bugs.

If our government or any other government in the world knew about the existence of extraterrestrial life visiting Earth, it's easily conceivable how those governments would see it in their best interests to keep it under the rug and stay quiet (the top scientists in the field have said as much) until the flyswatter comes down and goes splat.

def_lazer_fc
7/3/2007, 12:14 AM
Who knows. But, it would be interesting to see the number of people that simply gave up religion if aliens were discovered.

I also think that is the reason that if a crash took place they fight so hard to keep it secret, it would change the social fabric of every society on earth overnight.
this is what i was gonna say.

jk the sooner fan
7/3/2007, 06:47 AM
practically guaranteed? based on what?

practically guaranteed sounds a lot like "almost pregnant"

Harry Beanbag
7/3/2007, 06:56 AM
Whether that intelligent life has found Earth and it's amazing wealth of biodiversity...that's tough. There's some good info that says yes, but there's a lot of loons who take up the cause and make it look foolish. The odds are bad, but its not an impossibility. The problem with me believing it is that so many of the proponents are people who seem to want to believe...almost like they're substituting modern prospects of alien contact for traditional forms of religion (and many of them will be the first to criticize traditional religion).

There's a lot of this kind of thing going around, not just in regards to extraterrestrial life.

7/3/2007, 07:00 AM
They've probably fled at least one planet over the course of those 1 million + years in order to survive war, interspace disaster, pollution, overcrowding, etc so their civilization and knowledge could avoid annihilation.

This is what I was going to say.

Then I realized I needed to hop in the shower, fix breakfast for the kids and go to work.

Petro-Sooner
7/3/2007, 07:06 AM
If the aliens to exist and they were in America. Would that not make them, illegal aliens?

heh. I crack myself up.

Jerk
7/3/2007, 07:10 AM
If the aliens to exist and they were in America. Would that not make them, illegal aliens?

heh. I crack myself up.

They're only here to do the jobs that most normal aliens won't do.

SoonerProphet
7/3/2007, 07:34 AM
Red Rover, Red Rover, Bob Lazar's coming over.
So honey clear the airstrip and light up that stove.
By Jove, I think it's started. Oh yeah,
Escape From the Prison Planet.

Billion people harvest on Mars.
Rebuild the remnants of the obelisk,
One mile from the pyramid.
Escape From the Planet of the Apes.
Go forth, ad infinitum.
Return the relics to the Elephant.
And Atlantis rises.

Boomer.....
7/3/2007, 07:44 AM
But if it is real...then these beings are at least a million years worth of technology ahead of 21st Century CE man...the complexities of space travel have limited us to trips to and from our own moon. We can't even get to our nearest planet yet...much less across our solar system or to another galaxy.
I know that is figuratively speaking, but I would say that we are hundreds of years away, if not less. If you think of all the advancements in technology in the last 100 years or last 20 years, anything seems possible soon.

picasso
7/3/2007, 08:58 AM
gawdamn, you don't ever listen to Art Bell or George Nori or whatever the F his name is?

anyway, no logic here either. no one said "proof". thereby your premise that it is generalizable to other countries as point of refutation does not work.

of course they are landing on our turf, they are jealous of the freedoms we have here in America and want to illegally steal jobs and clean toilets from Joe Bob or Jolene in the Meth Lab in Noble County....
no. I don't read most of what most of you folks read. I have time for history mostly and that's it.
my point was, and I've heard it many times from a quacky artist friend of mine who says our government has been hiding the fact that aliens exist. if so, is this a world conspiracy? Crap hole countries don't have the resources to hide these discoveries.

just show me the proof Jack. Same as Bigfoot and Nessie.

otherwise you're a wackjob whackin a dream.

King Crimson
7/3/2007, 09:03 AM
Art Bell and George Nori are hosts of a late night AM radio show that is all about UFO's, aliens, the pyramids, life after death experiences, conspiracy theories etc....and really quite hilarious to listen to.

i was funnin.

picasso
7/3/2007, 09:06 AM
Art Bell and George Nori are hosts of a late night AM radio show that is all about UFO's, aliens, the pyramids, life after death experiences, conspiracy theories etc....and really quite hilarious to listen to.

i was funnin.
I THOUGHT maybe that's who you were talking about.:D

my old lady has the boombox hooked up in our bathroom so's I hear the dudes on Saturday night when I hit the lavatory. good stuff awight.

Vaevictis
7/3/2007, 01:28 PM
practically guaranteed? based on what?

The notion goes like this: The universe is huge. It's so huge that it likely extends beyond our ability to see. Not because our optics or technology are insufficient, but because it's so goddamn big that the furthest reaches are so far away that the light hasn't had time to reach us.

IF that's the case, and those far reaches of the universe have as much matter as the reaches we can see... then there were so many possible opportunities for life to occur that it's VERY probable that it occurred in many places.

Now, this does require you to accept that it is possible for life to randomly occur. If you don't think that's possible, then clearly you won't buy this line of argument. And if you do, then it's kind of hard not to.

practically guaranteed sounds a lot like "almost pregnant"

Not really. "Practically guaranteed" is really just another way of saying, "highly probable", which is not truly nonsensical like "almost pregnant" is.

OklahomaRed
7/3/2007, 01:59 PM
If they show up here, it ain't to get friendly. It's to make sure they mine our world for whatever it is that is worth zillions of alien money, or that they ran out of.

I'm with Pic, why would the discovery of aliens cause people to lose their faith? To me, it would cause me to believe that much more in intelligent design.

If I was the government, I would definitely cover it up. There's no telling what nut jobs around the world would do, or try to do with that type of information and knowledge.

Perhaps that is how our military stays light years ahead of everyone?

cantwait48
7/3/2007, 03:38 PM
if aliens are real they are obviously much more advanced than us so they are probably controlling humanity on earth without us even knowing it.

picasso
7/3/2007, 04:14 PM
They've had more than enough time to study our pathetic persons.

Vaevictis
7/3/2007, 04:17 PM
if aliens are real they are obviously much more advanced than us so they are probably controlling humanity on earth without us even knowing it.

Pfft, this assumes they want to.

Like I said, trench worms.

IronSooner
7/3/2007, 04:30 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility that aliens are actually dumber than us?

Ponder that for a minute. ;)

Scott D
7/3/2007, 04:43 PM

I only consider that feasible if they show up in droves on Earth ;)

Vaevictis
7/3/2007, 04:46 PM

Yes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Footfall%281stEd%29.jpg

Sooner_Bob
7/3/2007, 04:47 PM
Two atoms are walking down the street and they run in to each other. One says to the other,
"Are you all right?"
"No, I lost an electron!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah, I'm positive!"

Scott D
7/3/2007, 04:47 PM
Yes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Footfall%281stEd%29.jpg

wikimediowned. damn you for fixing it!

Vaevictis
7/3/2007, 04:51 PM
Editowned? :D

Scott D
7/3/2007, 04:57 PM
indeed. :D

Sooner_Bob
7/3/2007, 05:00 PM
http://op-for.com/starship%20troopers.jpg

Sooner_Bob
7/3/2007, 05:15 PM
Ok . . . here.

http://revistes.upc.es/~ekiza23/WEB/starshiptroopers/denise02.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
7/3/2007, 06:02 PM

Maybe, but I bet their play-by-play guys are better than ours.

oops i dropped my spacedog.

Okla-homey
7/3/2007, 06:09 PM
PPPPPPshaw. Do you people actually believe three generations of federal employees could keep such a "secret" for 50 years? Puh-leeze!

Hell, our sworn enemies the Russians had our nuclear weapons technology and plans within five years of Nagasaki and that program was one of the tightest and most locked-down in history.

OU Adonis
7/3/2007, 06:20 PM
PPPPPPshaw. Do you people actually believe three generations of federal employees could keep such a "secret" for 50 years? Puh-leeze!

Hell, our sworn enemies the Russians had our nuclear weapons technology and plans within five years of Nagasaki and that program was one of the tightest and most locked-down in history.

Actually yes, I think people can keep quiet for generations.

Has anyone found hoffa yet?

Okla-homey
7/3/2007, 06:24 PM
Actually yes, I think people can keep quiet for generations.

Has anyone found hoffa yet?

The guys who whacked Hoffa were'nt government employees.

King Crimson
7/3/2007, 06:26 PM
i'm pretty sure Denise Richards wants to have unruly, unconventional sex with me.

OU Adonis
7/3/2007, 08:32 PM
The guys who whacked Hoffa were'nt government employees.

True.

But If it was something as big as an alien cover up they would act like mobsters.

I think the government would kill to keep something that huge covered up. No joke.

The single biggest shock to the fabric of society behind an asteroid that would end human life would be the revelation that we are not alone AND we are inferior to another race(Technologically speaking).

TheUnnamedSooner
7/3/2007, 11:52 PM
maybe there are some aliens that look like this...

http://www.animationalley.com/images/prints/mpa/mpa_trek9.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
7/4/2007, 12:08 AM
maybe there are some aliens that look like this...
Meh...that's a two bagger