PDA

View Full Version : Patent and mechanical engineers

OUHOMER
7/1/2007, 07:46 AM
How does some one with a GREAT IDEAL get something designed and patented? I have done a quick search and don’t see my ideal out there. But I think its great ideal.

Are there engineers firms that help with design and stuff with out stealing the ideal?

Probably cost more than I have but I thought I would ask

:pop:

jk the sooner fan
7/1/2007, 07:54 AM
are you certain you spelled "pooper scooper" correctly when you did your search?

Okla-homey
7/1/2007, 07:56 AM
They're called "patent attorneys." It is a legal speciality. You can probably google one up in your area or check the US Patent and Trademark Office website. For inventions, it can cost up to $20K to get it all done. You can do it pro se, but its very complicated and you could screw it up.

http://www.uspto.gov/

OUHOMER
7/1/2007, 08:05 AM
when i googled for it there were thousands of patents in every area. from how to put a nut on a screw to every thing else, but i did not see anything pertaining to what I am thinking about. I may be better off making the device abd selling it.
20 grand is a lot of money to me, but i guess a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things

Okla-homey
7/1/2007, 08:49 AM
when i googled for it there were thousands of patents in every area. from how to put a nut on a screw to every thing else, but i did not see anything pertaining to what I am thinking about. I may be better off making the device abd selling it.
20 grand is a lot of money to me, but i guess a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things

I read once the guy who invented the socket wrench sold the rights to Sears (Craftsman) for about 5000.00. :(

OUHOMER
7/1/2007, 08:51 AM
yea, thats my luck. i have had other ideas before and seen them come to market a few years later. i just wish i had the balls and money to just go for it

BajaOklahoma
7/1/2007, 09:10 AM
If it is a good idea, and you don't patent it, someone can take the item you've made and patent. Then you'll either pay them to be able to make it or stop making it.
A good friend of mine made a ton of money as a patent attorney - now she is Fed Court Judge.
OTOH, my b-i-l has several patents which are paying for his new place in CA.
Good luck.

OUHOMER
7/1/2007, 09:15 AM
I may have to pursue this one. it will work on 90% of homes today. So if a guy could get into just 1 % ?? who knows

Vaevictis
7/1/2007, 09:25 AM
You definitely want a patent lawyer, as Homey says, not an engineer. Patents are written in legalese.

There are firms out there that are willing to front the startup costs on a patent and legal action defending it for a large piece of the pie. But they don't call them "vulture capitalists" for nothing, so be careful if you decide to go that route. Usually, you'll get the share you negotiated, but they'll wrest control from you as soon as they're able.

My understanding is that you can also start the patent process and start marketing the item before the patent is granted, and still end up protected. If the item is as good as you think, you might be able to bootstrap the company and fund the patent process from sales.

OUHOMER
7/1/2007, 09:32 AM
You definitely want a patent lawyer, as Homey says, not an engineer. Patents are written in legalese.

There are firms out there that are willing to front the startup costs on a patent and legal action defending it for a large piece of the pie. But they don't call them "vulture capitalists" for nothing, so be careful if you decide to go that route. Usually, you'll get the share you negotiated, but they'll wrest control from you as soon as they're able.

My understanding is that you can also start the patent process and start marketing the item before the patent is granted, and still end up protected. If the item is as good as you think, you might be able to bootstrap the company and fund the patent process from sales.

good ideal, I needed a engineer to help finish the design. I know a few guys in the the related field that this would relate too, But just hate to mention it to them. they may run with it before me, so i need to get started on this deal.

jk the sooner fan
7/1/2007, 09:49 AM
contact the friendly people at Ronco.......

Vaevictis
7/1/2007, 09:56 AM
Ah hah, I misunderstood your need for engineers.

Your best bet is to find a firm with a good reputation that has an interest in preserving it. This will obviously cost you more. Have a lawyer review the contract and ensure that there are provisions in it assigning IP ownership of the result to you -- I believe the term for this is a "for hire" work -- and don't work with them if they're not willing to do this. You may also want to enter into an NDA or other appropriate legal device prior to entering negotiations.

If you really think the idea is that good, you're going to want to talk to a lawyer before you discuss it with anyone.

OUHOMER
7/1/2007, 10:34 AM
Ah hah, I misunderstood your need for engineers.

Your best bet is to find a firm with a good reputation that has an interest in preserving it. This will obviously cost you more. Have a lawyer review the contract and ensure that there are provisions in it assigning IP ownership of the result to you -- I believe the term for this is a "for hire" work -- and don't work with them if they're not willing to do this. You may also want to enter into an NDA or other appropriate legal device prior to entering negotiations.

If you really think the idea is that good, you're going to want to talk to a lawyer before you discuss it with anyone.

Agreed, its amazing how trust can be thrown out the door, But one never knows. It was just one of those ideals that popped into my head, with a need here at home. i was like you know, i bet there are a lot of people
that could use this.

OUHOMER
7/1/2007, 10:37 AM
contact the friendly people at Ronco.......

1. contact engineers to help finish design
2. contact patent lawyer
3. contact china to make a billion of them
4. contact Ronco for infomercial
5. contact bank,

Am i rich yet :D