PDA

View Full Version : Got a tour of a drilling rig today

Jerk
6/30/2007, 09:38 PM
My dad puts them together.

I first met a Hodge's truck driver. Total number of axils: 9. Total gross vehicle weight: 150,000 pounds :eek: He was pulling one of those draw-work motors on a flat-bed trailer, that, empty, weighed 60,000 pounds.

Total cost of rig: 12 miiiiiiillion dollars.

I asked my dad about jobs and he says I'm limited because of my back problems. He thinks I might be able to do the directional drilling part on the computer. I dunno. I think that's like, for smart people and stuff.

The rig had 2 diesel-electric generators that had the same Cat that a train engine uses, 2 mud pumps, various other stuff that I had no idea what was, and a mast that was capable of lifting a miiiiiillion pounds off the winch thingy. Yeah, 1,000,000 pounds. That's 5 deisel locomotives.

Lots of messicans working for him. He said if they don't get 80 hours a week, they quit and go find another job. Right now they're doing 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, even when the yard is under water and looks like a lake.

Right now their biggest problem is finding people who can a) pass a drug test and b) know what they're doing.

I can do A but I'm not sure about B.

I really want to get in. I don't know if I can even chain-down a flat-bed with my back, but I don't think I'll have any problems making more $$$ than I'm making now.

I like the job I have now, but, things are going to change soon and I don't know if I will survive those changes. I'm not in a corporate environment. I'm very independent. 90% of the time I'm by myself. I show up for work when I want to and leave when I want to. Sometimes the only way I know I still work there is when I get my pay-check. If it gets to where people are looking over my shoulder, telling me how to do my job, then I'm a gone-er.

But all good things must come to an end.

SoonerBorn68
6/30/2007, 09:45 PM
He thinks I might be able to do the directional drilling part on the computer. I dunno. I think that's like, for smart people and stuff.

Dude: oumartin, Mongo, 1TC, SB68, oilmud, Petro Sooner. You'd prolly do just fine. :)

Jerk
6/30/2007, 09:50 PM
I don't know, man. Most of my computer knowledge is playing first-person shooter games and posting here.

eta- and searching pron sights.

SoonerBorn68
6/30/2007, 09:55 PM
Heh. The computer work we do is mostly constructing reports, building plots, monitoring the data, & emailing.

The physical work isn't bad either. The most you'd have to lift is about 75 lbs.

The only really techincal stuff is troubleshooting but there's only a finite amout of things that can go wrong & you'll learn OJT.

SoonerBorn68
6/30/2007, 09:59 PM
The worst thing is being gone a lot. oumartin & I have been away from home 81 out of the last 111 days.

Jerk
6/30/2007, 10:02 PM
Well, that sucks.

I volunteer for panhandle of Texas duty. (as long as they don't care if I bring along my varmint guns)

Seriously, It may come to a point to where I have to do it. I should know by the middle of August.

SoonerBorn68
6/30/2007, 10:05 PM
Most rigs don't allow firearms of any kind on location.

A couple of months ago we had a tweaked out derrick hand point a loaded AR-15 at the floor driller. Luckily the night directional driller (DD) talked him out of pulling the trigger.

Jerk
6/30/2007, 10:15 PM
Most rigs don't allow firearms of any kind on location.

A couple of months ago we had a tweaked out derrick hand point a loaded AR-15 at the floor driller. Luckily the night directional driller (DD) talked him out of pulling the trigger.:eek:

My dad tells me wild stories about these guys. Some of his hands are making $100,000+ a year, but their families go hungry whilst they blow their paychecks at Valleybrook.

oumartin
6/30/2007, 10:36 PM
hodges! They have a mansion up in Woo town(woodward).

Jerk, nothing like living in cramped quarters on a dirty location catching West Nile while making your way through knee deep mud! You'll love it
I literally have 20 misquito bites on my arms alone. With any luck I'll die soon and my wife and kids can live comfortably

Jerk
6/30/2007, 10:42 PM
hodges! They have a mansion up in Woo town(woodward).

Jerk, nothing like living in cramped quarters on a dirty location catching West Nile while making your way through knee deep mud! You'll love it
I literally have 20 misquito bites on my arms alone. With any luck I'll die soon and my wife and kids can live comfortably
That Hodges driver was a buff mofo. (I don't mean to sound gay). I was wondering if a fat arse like me could make the change. He had a Cat 475 and a 10 speed. He left the yard with that draw-motor on the trailer and accelerated so slow that I knew he started out in 1st gear (went of 0 to 5mph in 10 seconds, lol).

I thought, damn, what an inviting target for a Honda Civic. A Honda Civic could run into the back of him at 100mph and he'd keep going on, thinking that he'd hit a small pot-hole.

oumartin
6/30/2007, 10:45 PM
hey, I love me some honda civics. If I was gonna make any suggestion to you my friend. where do you wanna live? do you like your family?
I'm tellin' ya like this. This drilling may or may not last. but the gas that is being produced will last another 30 years. take that as some advice.

soonerboomer93
6/30/2007, 10:57 PM
My dad puts them together.

I first met a Hodge's truck driver. Total number of axils: 9. Total gross vehicle weight: 150,000 pounds :eek: He was pulling one of those draw-work motors on a flat-bed trailer, that, empty, weighed 60,000 pounds.

Total cost of rig: 12 miiiiiiillion dollars.

I asked my dad about jobs and he says I'm limited because of my back problems. He thinks I might be able to do the directional drilling part on the computer. I dunno. I think that's like, for smart people and stuff.

The rig had 2 diesel-electric generators that had the same Cat that a train engine uses, 2 mud pumps, various other stuff that I had no idea what was, and a mast that was capable of lifting a miiiiiillion pounds off the winch thingy. Yeah, 1,000,000 pounds. That's 5 deisel locomotives.

Lots of messicans working for him. He said if they don't get 80 hours a week, they quit and go find another job. Right now they're doing 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, even when the yard is under water and looks like a lake.

Right now their biggest problem is finding people who can a) pass a drug test and b) know what they're doing.

I can do A but I'm not sure about B.

I really want to get in. I don't know if I can even chain-down a flat-bed with my back, but I don't think I'll have any problems making more $$$ than I'm making now.

I like the job I have now, but, things are going to change soon and I don't know if I will survive those changes. I'm not in a corporate environment. I'm very independent. 90% of the time I'm by myself. I show up for work when I want to and leave when I want to. Sometimes the only way I know I still work there is when I get my pay-check. If it gets to where people are looking over my shoulder, telling me how to do my job, then I'm a gone-er.

But all good things must come to an end.

Heh, I should send you a picture of a block transporter. Lifting capacity varies, but the big one carries over 200 tons (some of our blocks are close to 300 tons and they carry them). Wheels vary, but each set of 2 can indepantly turn, and they have to do some wicked manuveurs at times.

Petro-Sooner
7/2/2007, 01:14 PM
Dude: oumartin, Mongo, 1TC, SB68, oilmud, Petro Sooner. You'd prolly do just fine. :)

Exactly. :texan:

1stTimeCaller
7/2/2007, 01:41 PM
seriously, can you turn on a computer? There ya go.

On the DD side you'll use trig but heck, only if your laptop dies and then the programs in your hp 49g+ calculator quit will you have to do any cipherin' on your own.

You need to like midday TV or late late night TV if you wanna be an MWD. ;)

PAW
7/11/2007, 02:19 AM
I'm working on getting in . . . got a couple of insiders over at SD, but I'm not sure they're holding up their end of the deal. ;) (check your messages)

Hopefully, the rig cost will go down and they'll get more rigs in the field soon opening up some positions. SD lost an MWD and the coordinator said they're not going to replace him.

The Quantum guy said to call him every week, but I don't know if he was just trying to scare me off or what. They start people off in a trainee position, which he says is 90 days straight in the field along with 18 hour days (he did say you could pick the 6 hours you wanted off). Apparently, it's more of a grunt position until you learn the position.

Baker has some MWD positions in Malaysia, Qatar, Brazil, Denmark, Kazakhstan, China, and Algeria. I guess they got that position in Russia filled.

Rogue
7/11/2007, 05:54 AM
Or you could haul diamond mining equip over frozen lakes a few months a year and get famous like those crab boat d00ds. (http://www.history.com/minisites/iceroadtruckers)

Petro-Sooner
7/11/2007, 07:29 AM
Hopefully, the rig cost will go down and they'll get more rigs in the field soon opening up some positions.

I dont see rig costs going down anytime soon. Good luck to ya.

Oh yeah, whos SD?

PAW
7/11/2007, 08:09 AM
I dont see rig costs going down anytime soon. Good luck to ya.

Oh yeah, whos SD?

Scientific Drilling

Thanks