PDA

View Full Version : Dear person who invented floor ducts

Sooner_Bob
6/29/2007, 11:34 PM
you suck!

All this freakin' rain and it finally made it's way into our floor ducts. :mad:

I stopped trying to vacuum the stuff out after about 120 gallons or so.

I guess I'll get to check around the house tomorrow and see if I can tell where it might be seeping under the foundation.

And I also get to replace the alternator in my truck, finish tiling a bathroom wall and then painting and trimming out the new wall I framed in a few weeks ago.

Norm, have you driven through Stillwater in the last week or two? :P

Sigh . . .

Czar Soonerov
6/29/2007, 11:35 PM
Take it to the smack board.

;)

OUHOMER
6/30/2007, 05:26 AM
i heard the radio, that the duct in the floor is a major problem this week. Most are going to have to run new duct overhead and fill in the old duct with concrete because of mold issues. About 4000 to 6000 grand per house.

good luck

MamaMia
6/30/2007, 08:51 AM
Our home is over a half a century old and has floor ducts. I had to get those Sharper Image Ionic Breezes for every room. When we enlarge the back bedroom, move the garage forward and add the extra bath, I'm having all that duct work changed.

Mjcpr
6/30/2007, 09:05 AM
The folks I bought my house from had to re-route all the ductworth because of that.....they weren't that jazzed about it I bet.

Sooner_Bob
6/30/2007, 10:25 AM
I have no idea how you'd be able to re-route the duct work in our house since it's a two-story.

I mean it could probably be done, but I'm not that excited about all the drywall that would have to get trashed because of it.

I don't suppose this would be covered by home owner's insurance unless you have flood insurance or something?

toast
6/30/2007, 10:44 AM
Just install jets and make your house a huge jacuzzi

Scott D
6/30/2007, 11:35 AM
pretty sure unless you flood enough with enough damage that it's just a remodeling matter Bob.

Boarder
6/30/2007, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a poor installation to me. I love my perfectly dry floor ducts. If I recall correctly they are PVC with glued joints. They could run underwater and not leak.

Hate the player, not the game.

Scott D
6/30/2007, 12:44 PM
no doubt you have your ducts properly taped and screwed as well.

Sooner_Bob
7/1/2007, 01:32 PM
Well considering this house is in Stillwater what do you guys expect? Perfectly installed floor ducts?

After further investigation I'm pretty sure it's not due to water leaking into the ducts, but the fact that our part of town is so saturated that the water table is so hight that the water has to go somewhere.

This is the first time this has happened in the almost 3 years we've lived here, and we've gotten quite a bit of rain before that I think would've lead to the same problem if the water was getting under the foundation.

I'm just going to pump out the water as best I can and then get the duct work all cleaned out and call it good.

Sooner_Bob
7/1/2007, 01:33 PM
Sounds like a poor installation to me. I love my perfectly dry floor ducts. If I recall correctly they are PVC with glued joints. They could run underwater and not leak.

Hate the player, not the game.

PVC with glued joints should be water-proof. Metal ducts not so much . . . again, see aggieville comment. :D

Scott D
7/1/2007, 05:10 PM
PVC with glued joints should be water-proof. Metal ducts not so much . . . again, see aggieville comment. :D

pshaw...properly sealed duct work wouldn't have that problem ;)

Sooner_Bob
7/2/2007, 06:20 PM
pshaw...properly sealed duct work wouldn't have that problem ;)

RiiiIIIIiight . . . that's why most of Stillwater and the surrounding area is dealing with the same issue. ;)