PDA

View Full Version : Question About Other People's Kids

VeeJay
6/29/2007, 05:50 PM
Years ago when I was running a retail store, a couple of times this happened. A lady would come up to me with her little kid, and explain to me that Junior had stolen something - usually a candy bar or something. I was supposed to do what?

Scold the kid? Bitch slap 'em? Ponder aloud, with my arms folded across my chest and my right hand in a fist underneath my chin, whether to call the police?

I know nothing about people's temperaments with their kids. Kudos to the moms for scaring the kid and humiliating them by making them stand there with puppy dog eyes and say "I'm sorry, Mister." But how was I supposed to react? Just how bad did mom want me to blister the little fugger?

I probably sounded more like a Sunday School teacher than a drill sergeant when I was handling the situation. But, without fail, I'd take the candy into my office and have a snack.

Flagstaffsooner
6/29/2007, 05:55 PM
"You wanna grow up to be like Gene Stipe?"

Pricetag
6/29/2007, 05:59 PM
I think a crook of the eyebrow and an "I'll be keeping an eye on you" probably would have sufficed.

You'll likely pull back a bloody nub for the laying of hands, though.

TUSooner
6/29/2007, 06:02 PM
Sunday school teacher is probably much better than drill sgt. in that situation. Well done. :)

sanantoniosooner
6/29/2007, 06:35 PM
You should have had stickers that said "I'm a thief!"

Kids love stickers.