PDA

View Full Version : Cursive or Printing

royalfan5
6/29/2007, 02:48 PM
Is the majority of your handwriting in cursive or print. I would say I write cursive 75% and print 25%.

Beef
6/29/2007, 02:53 PM
The only thing I write in cursive is my signature, but that's debatable if it's even an accepted written language.

IronSooner
6/29/2007, 02:57 PM
I go back and forth, depending on the order of the letters and which form of them I like. Of course I do very little handwriting anymore...I even take notes using notepad on the computer. Shopping lists and call #s are handwritten. That's about it.

slickdawg
6/29/2007, 02:59 PM
Like beef, I only write illegible cursive for my signature, print for everything else.

HskrGrl
6/29/2007, 03:07 PM
I go back and forth. If I'm writting a word that's more than 2 letters long more than likely it will be a mix of both cursive and printing. Isn't there some way to psychoanalyze someone by their handwritting?

olevetonahill
6/29/2007, 03:19 PM
If I do cursive NO one can read it , If I print some can

Vaevictis
6/29/2007, 03:24 PM
I will not, and never would, do cursive unless it was mandatory.

Penguin
6/29/2007, 03:33 PM
print because people need to be able to read my handwriting at work.

I tried writing in cursive the other day and it looked like an 8 year old wrote it. I'll stick with print.

goodonya
6/29/2007, 03:36 PM
Before engineering school: Cursive
After engineering school: Lettering

Fugue
6/29/2007, 03:43 PM
I go back and forth. If I'm writting a word that's more than 2 letters long more than likely it will be a mix of both cursive and printing. Isn't there some way to psychoanalyze someone by their handwritting?

I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I have some weird combo thing going.

I_SMELL_FEAR
6/29/2007, 03:44 PM
Im like hskrgrl, I use both. In one sentence I might have 3 cursive words and the rest is print or vice versa. And some instances I use both on the same word, like if the word ends in ing, like looking...look will be print and the ing will be cursive.

Jimminy Crimson
6/29/2007, 03:52 PM
I write in print... and in all caps, at that. My chemistry teachers hated me.

I also write in epileptic-cursive for my signature.

Partial Qualifier
6/29/2007, 03:53 PM
100% print.

When I write cursive, it looks like a 4th grader's handwriting. :( I guess because that's when I stopped writing in cursive.

Jimminy Crimson
6/29/2007, 04:03 PM
PS - I am right handed, but write like I am left handed. If that makes any sense.

BajaOklahoma
6/29/2007, 04:04 PM
There is talk that cursive is on its way out as a skill learned in school. With the increase usage of computers, it isn't worth the time it takes to teach it.

I_SMELL_FEAR
6/29/2007, 04:10 PM
There is talk that cursive is on its way out as a skill learned in school. With the increase usage of computers, it isn't worth the time it takes to teach it.

sweet. In 30 years when the young people start trying to kill off old people, as Logans Run has prophesized, we old people will have our own, easy to understand code to communicate with.

HskrGrl
6/29/2007, 04:17 PM
My great Aunt was an English teacher for many years. She use to tell me about this weird looking writing thing called "short hand" that she taught her students. I also saw her use it a lot when writing things down.

Preservation Parcels
6/29/2007, 04:31 PM
How much do you think penmanship has declined because of computers?

Before computers, my handwriting was legible and usually cursive. Over the years, it deteriorated to the point where most of my handwriting is filling out forms (requiring printing.) My master grocery lists and packing lists for different places are on the computer, and I just enter amounts and check off what I need. Computers are faster and things are easier to find on the computer. I've lost handwritten papers in the past, but I can always find the computer.

Very few people write actual letters any more, and handwriting just isn't as important as it was during the days of John Hancock and the Founding Fathers.

OCUDad
6/29/2007, 05:26 PM
Seems to me not only penmanship, but also spelling and grammar have all declined significantly in the computer age. The advent of phone text messaging killed spelling ability altogether. ;)

bluedogok
6/29/2007, 05:47 PM
The only thing I write in cursive is my signature, but that's debatable if it's even an accepted written language.
Same here, been drafting since I was in jr. high and being in architecture, I print everything.

Fraggle145
6/29/2007, 05:48 PM
I write in this weird chicken scratch hybrid that is mostly print with lines between the letters because I am too lazy to pick up my writing utensil. Everything that can be abbreviated with me still understanding it is abbreviated.

TUSooner
6/29/2007, 06:04 PM
Equal split, often in the same word!

soonerboomer93
6/29/2007, 06:21 PM
Seems to me not only penmanship, but also spelling and grammar have all declined significantly in the computer age. The advent of phone text messaging killed spelling ability altogether. ;)

you haz prblem with speling nows???????

soonerboomer93
6/29/2007, 06:22 PM
when I'm in a class, normally cursive

otherwise print

OCUDad
6/29/2007, 06:31 PM
you haz prblem with speling nows???????LOL. NFW. YWIA.

Okla-homey
6/29/2007, 07:52 PM
My printing is kinda itallic-y, thus I blend the two.

It's how I roll.

BajaOklahoma
6/29/2007, 08:08 PM
My great Aunt was an English teacher for many years. She use to tell me about this weird looking writing thing called "short hand" that she taught her students. I also saw her use it a lot when writing things down.

I took a "Notehand" class in high school - a poor man's version of shorthand. I think I still have the textbook. Never used it liked I hoped I would in college.

My older son learned D"Nealian instead of block letters. It's very pretty and easy to write and read.

GottaHavePride
6/29/2007, 09:44 PM

I've read that in general, more intelligent people tend to break letters apart and lift the pen off the page more because printing is faster than cursive.

Thus: if I'm in a hurry I print, if I want it to look good, cursive. Oh, and I've started writing with a fountain pen. It just looks better than ballpoint.

goingoneight
6/30/2007, 02:34 AM
One for heiroglyphics.

MamaMia
6/30/2007, 09:08 AM
I use cursive when making notes, signing a card or writing correspondence. If its a list or work related I usually print.

OU-HSV
6/30/2007, 09:31 AM
Where's the chicken scratch option?

bluedogok
6/30/2007, 11:21 AM
Where's the chicken scratch option?
That would qualify as cursive.....

Boarder
6/30/2007, 12:32 PM
I've read that in general, more intelligent people tend to break letters apart and lift the pen off the page more because printing is faster than cursive.

Thus: if I'm in a hurry I print, if I want it to look good, cursive. Oh, and I've started writing with a fountain pen. It just looks better than ballpoint.
Fountain pen? Straight Razor? Are you training to go back in time?

:D

GottaHavePride
6/30/2007, 12:36 PM
Fountain pen? Straight Razor? Are you training to go back in time?

:D

Heh. I think it's the music thing - I've become much more willing to learn how to do things in ways that require more skill (and frequently a lot more time) than most people are willing to put forth.

Although honestly, I can get a good shave off a straight razor in about 10 minutes now. And writing with a fountain pen doesn't take any longer than with a regular pen once you learn how to use it.

Boarder
6/30/2007, 12:43 PM
You break out a powdered wig and there may have to be an intervention.

GottaHavePride
6/30/2007, 12:45 PM
Oh hell no.

Rogue
6/30/2007, 03:56 PM
Print. One of my neighbors argued that cursive still needed to be taught in schools. I thought "yeah, as an elective." Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Newbomb Turk
6/30/2007, 04:38 PM
I've become much more willing to learn how to do things in ways that require more skill (and frequently a lot more time) than most people are willing to put forth.

that will change when you get a little older.

SoonerInKCMO
6/30/2007, 05:49 PM
I write in print... and in all caps, at that.

Me too. I use bigger capitals for what are supposed to be capitals and small caps for lower-case letters. And like others have mentioned, this all began for me in engineering school. I can barely sign my name anymore.