PDA

View Full Version : NFL Europa Folds

royalfan5
6/29/2007, 02:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2920738

The CFL is still kicking though.

Newbomb Turk
6/29/2007, 02:48 PM
I remember watching the CFL on ESPN when I was a kid. That was when Warren Moon played for the Edmonton Eskimos. Never did watch a NFL Europe game.

Scott D
6/29/2007, 04:16 PM
well since the CFL has minimal involvement with the NFL that's probably to their advantage...that and the fact that they are on the same continent as us.

critical_phil
6/29/2007, 04:19 PM
good news for Mark Cuban

tulsaoilerfan
6/29/2007, 08:53 PM
will anyone on here admit to watching this anyway? I never watched a game in the 15 years of it's existence

royalfan5
6/29/2007, 09:00 PM
I watched a few games when they were on Fox, and a guy I knew was playing on one of the teams.

Scott D
6/30/2007, 10:10 AM
will anyone on here admit to watching this anyway? I never watched a game in the 15 years of it's existence

a few people this past season watched a couple of teams with interest because of Quentin Griffin and Remi Ayodele. Some probably watched last year and the year before to catch up on Nate Hybl.

Sooner_Bob
6/30/2007, 10:26 AM
It was good for a quick football fix, but I never knew or never remembered when it was on most of the time.

Mixer!
7/1/2007, 12:19 AM
I think the last game I saw was the London Monarchs vs. Barcelona Dragons.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/2/2007, 01:21 AM
I watched it fairly extensively in its first year, when it was known as the World League. Couldn't get enough of the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks and the Orlando Thunder with their lime-green "neon" jerseys.

JohnnyMack
7/3/2007, 09:57 AM
I don't understand why the NFL doesn't make an effort at having a developmental league here in the U.S. involving 8 or so teams. Put the teams in areas that don't have NFL teams, but have good football support. Mid-sized to large size cities that have colleges or existing stadiums within those cities so the league can rent stadiums from the schools.

A few places that come to mind are Los Angeles, Columbus, Orlando, San Antonio, Austin, Memphis, Ft. Worth, Louisville, Fresno, etc. (I'd make a push for Tulsa, but would be called a homer. Although I remember that Outlaws drew very well).

Have two 4 team divisions, play an 8 game schedule (home and home against division, once game against two of the teams in the other division). top two teams in each division make playoffs, then a championship game. With a bye week, you could have the season over in 11 or 12 weeks.

The games could be put on NFL Network or obviously sold to another Network that would probably pay to pick up the games.

Play the season from March - May before it gets too hot.

Scott D
7/3/2007, 10:30 AM
you should try pushing that idea to the NFL...seriously.

birddog
7/3/2007, 12:31 PM
I don't understand why the NFL doesn't make an effort at having a developmental league here in the U.S. involving 8 or so teams. Put the teams in areas that don't have NFL teams, but have good football support. Mid-sized to large size cities that have colleges or existing stadiums within those cities so the league can rent stadiums from the schools.

A few places that come to mind are Los Angeles, Columbus, Orlando, San Antonio, Austin, Memphis, Ft. Worth, Louisville, Fresno, etc. (I'd make a push for Tulsa, but would be called a homer. Although I remember that Outlaws drew very well).

Have two 4 team divisions, play an 8 game schedule (home and home against division, once game against two of the teams in the other division). top two teams in each division make playoffs, then a championship game. With a bye week, you could have the season over in 11 or 12 weeks.

The games could be put on NFL Network or obviously sold to another Network that would probably pay to pick up the games.

sounds like a good idea to me. there's definitely a market for it, if it's done properly.

i'll get on the horn with goodell.

John Kochtoston
2/2/2008, 11:30 AM

There's already something like that sorta in the works.

http://www.allamericanfootballleague.com/

bluedogok
2/2/2008, 06:03 PM
well since the CFL has minimal involvement with the NFL that's probably to their advantage...that and the fact that they are on the same continent as us.
There are a couple of CFL games on the regional sports networks every week on the Directv Sports Pack, I watch some of those. I also watched some of the NFL Europe games as well. There needs to be a developmental league of some kind and the NFL needs to be in control of it, the Arena Football League is not one. Outside leagues have too hard of a time trying to keep one going as it seems the NFL tries to kill them off if they get any sort of traction.