PDA

View Full Version : Question about buying out-of-state vehicle

Widescreen
6/29/2007, 01:31 PM
The seller and I are not sure how to handle the license plates. Would the out-of-state plates stay on the vehicle and I would just replace them with TX plates when I get home or would they be removed and I'd need to obtain temporary tags and use those for the drive home? I've never purchased out-of-state so I'm really ignorant about that kind of thing (insert wise-acre response here).

Hugs and kisses!

Tulsa_Fireman
6/29/2007, 01:37 PM
This might not jive, but I purchased a vehicle out of state, but it was for use in that state, not here.

I purchased it, took the title and whatnot, and got a temp tag. From my understanding, the tax at a minimum needs to be paid in the state of purchase. The transfer of title probably oughta be done in your home state. Just get it signed and notarized and you should be good until you process it in Texas. Which would make a fella think the plate would be taken care of when you take the signed title down to the tag agency.

I dunno. I make a lot of this stuff up.

Widescreen
6/29/2007, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure your situation is the same. I'm buying from a private seller so I'm not certain that sales tax will be due in that state. I'm trying to figure that out too.

Edit: I just spoke to a government employee of the great state of Ohio who said that sales tax would not be collect via a private sale so I'll just have to pay my tax in TX when I get home.

I'm still trying to figure out the license plate situation though.

Boarder
6/29/2007, 02:34 PM
As long as it has a current tag, take one of your insurance verifications with you and keep the bill of sale and just drive it home. If you get pulled over you tell them you just bought it and are going back home. Your insurance should cover another car you drive. When you get home, go get the tag.

Widescreen
6/29/2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I spoke to my insurance agent today and she said that same thing - just take my insurance card and I'll be insured for 30 days on the new vehicle.

olevetonahill
6/29/2007, 03:29 PM
What st are buying in ? are you takin it to saxet right ?

Widescreen
6/29/2007, 03:48 PM
Buying in OH. Taking it to TX.

olevetonahill
6/29/2007, 03:51 PM
Then do what Boarder said you should be fine .
Here in OK if you buy an O/S car you have to actually take the car to the tag office so they can check the VIN

Widescreen
6/29/2007, 05:36 PM
For the tags, I've arranged to get temporary TX tags and I'll take them up next week when I pick up the car.

Seller's a rabid THE Ohio State University fan. Said he traveled down to the OSU/UT game in Austin in '05. He seems cool anyway.

bluedogok
6/29/2007, 05:40 PM
Seller's a rabid THE Ohio State University fan.
I didn't know there was any kind other than that.

soonerboomer93
6/29/2007, 06:25 PM
Then do what Boarder said you should be fine .
Here in OK if you buy an O/S car you have to actually take the car to the tag office so they can check the VIN

you have to do the same in colorady, get a VIN check when you have your inspection done...

OUHOMER
6/30/2007, 05:54 AM
I bought a car from Ohio once. just drove it to the local tag agency in Oklahoma. they inspected it , i gave them money, they gave me tag

Widescreen
6/30/2007, 11:34 AM
Here's an interesting tidbit I just read while reviewing the TX DOT website. If you buy a vehicle from a private seller, the state comes up with its own calculation of what a vehicle is worth and taxes you on that if it's more than what you paid. So if I pay $20000 for a vehicle and the state calcs that it's worth $25000, I get to pay $1563 instead of $1250. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Also (although this doesn't apply to me as I got a really good deal) if you paid more than their calc, guess what? You pay the tax on what you paid - so you get screwed twice.

Edit: Wanted to clarify this with new info I just read. If the price of the vehicle is at least 80% of the state calculated value for the vehicle, they'll still let you pay the tax on the sales price.

OUHOMER
6/30/2007, 11:38 AM
Its that way in OK as well. They have something like the blue book price. keeps folks from buying a car for a dollar

Okieflyer
6/30/2007, 11:39 AM
Bought mine from Texas and kept the tags. I had to fill out a transfer from Texas to Oklahoma. No big deal though.

OUHOMER
6/30/2007, 11:40 AM
I do know that i told them how much i paid. I think i just gave them the notarized title

Widescreen
6/30/2007, 11:52 AM
I got the tag issue resolved. The seller was told by Ohio to remove the OH plates so I got temporary insurance cards showing the new vehicle info and then I'll go to the local tag agency and pick up temporary tags to put on it for the drive back to TX. I love dealing with bureaucracy.