PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Reynolds update!

Collier11
6/29/2007, 12:06 PM
This article makes me happy!

Reynolds' Rehab Going Well
Courtesy: SoonerSports.co
Release: 06/29/2007

OU linebacker Ryan Reynolds is beaming over his recovery from LCL surgery.
View larger Courtesy: SoonerSports.com

OU linebacker Ryan Reynolds is beaming over his recovery from LCL surgery.

NORMAN, Okla. -- The gray skies of this Oklahoma summer contradict the mood surrounding Ryan Reynolds’ recovery from knee surgery.

The Oklahoma linebacker says, “It doesn’t even feel like I injured it,” and Jim Hillis, OU’s Coordinator of Rehabilitation says, “The surgery went extremely well and right now he’s as good as he could possibly be.”

That’s music to the ears of Sooner defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Brent Venables, who often gushes over Reynolds’ ability and smarts. It appears that when August rolls around, Venables will have full access to this sophomore, who is poised for a breakout season on the weak side after redshirting in 2006.

The outlook was different on March 28 when Reynolds suffered a somewhat uncommon tear of the lateral collateral ligament in his right knee. He underwent surgery on April 3.

Given the fact that the Las Vegas native had undergone reconstructive surgery on a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in the previous spring and missed the 2006 season, he could have been forgiven for losing heart.

He didn’t.

“My first thought was really on just the whole process of rehabilitation,” he said. “I didn’t get down at all. I had a goal to get back and that really motivated me.”

Reynolds said the LCL tear actually hurt a lot more than the ACL, even though the latter is a more severe injury.

“The LCL is a very repairable injury,” Hillis pointed out. “It’s not common, but it’s easier to repair (than an ACL tear).”

Beginning the week of July 1, Reynolds, who has been working in the weight room and running straight-line drills, will get the green light to run laterally and make cuts. In recovery from knee surgery, that is the last hurdle.

“I feel like I am way ahead of schedule,” he said. “The ACL recovery was a lot more difficult. This is night and day. I feel like I will be just as fast as I was before, but I’m not in shape yet. That will take about a month.”

Reynolds’ optimism about a quick return is fueled by the fact that he also watched his waist line more closely during this particular rehabilitation. Last summer, the weight on his 6-foot-2 frame ballooned to 248 pounds. Now he’s around 230 and he hopes to play at 235.

“I didn’t have to wait as long to start my rehab this time, but I also took a lot better care of myself this time,” he confessed. “I was able to do more cardio and I was doing leg curls and hip flexors with ankle weights in my first week back.”

Reynolds is still working out out twice per day with Hillis. When he’s not working out, he’s spending time in the film room.

“There is nothing like being out there, but I’ve learned a lot from watching practice and film,” he said. “You can pick up a lot of little things and you get a better idea of your role on the defense when you get a better feel for what everybody else is doing. I think I am a much better student of the game now.”

That’s a mouthful for someone that was already noted for his heady play. Now that it appears he has two good knees to go with that knowledge, Reynolds looks like a player that could have significant impact on the 2007 Sooner defense.

IndianJack
6/29/2007, 12:17 PM
Saw the article this morning, as well. And as it does give us something to look forward to about our much needed LB performance, Reynolds has yet to perform on the field against UT, Miami or anyone else for that matter. To hear BV, he's the next great LB with his athleticism, and more importantly his ability to line up correctly (and help others do the same) and play assignment sound defense. Hopefully he stays healthy and the Sooner D builds upon what they have accomplished up to this point. Reed, Reynolds and Lofton or Baker or Pleasant could make for a formidable LB crew, and we all know how important the LB's success is to the D's ability to smack people around.

boomersooner28
6/29/2007, 12:27 PM
GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT, did I mention GREAT?, NEWS!!!

htownsooner7
6/29/2007, 01:35 PM
Great post. Better news. I hope his speed is still there. Besides that, he is the type of player that can really help. They said "help on the weak side." Is that right? Will it be Lofton at SAM, Reed at MIKE, and Reynolds at WILL?

Boomer.....
6/29/2007, 01:36 PM
Good to hear!

BigUgly
6/29/2007, 04:58 PM
He's due for some good luck!

soonerspudman
6/29/2007, 05:01 PM
Good news indeed, but let's temper with some realism. We're roughly 60 days from opening kickoff (oh baby) and R2 hasn't made a cut yet on his repaired knee. Would expect at best he'd work slowly into rotation, maybe ready for a full game by Tejas. Would be wrong to assume he'd be starting by Miami...

Collier11
6/29/2007, 05:18 PM
Would be wrong to assume he'd be starting by Miami...

Youd be wrong to assume anything, if Jerry Schmidt says he is ready by North Texas or ghey Texas then that is what I will accept as truth

insuranceman_22
6/29/2007, 05:19 PM
I'm ready to see what he can do when he's in the defense for a couple of games! Congrats to Ryan, we're pulling for you!

auto
6/29/2007, 06:07 PM
awesome, guy obviously has desire.

the_ouskull
6/29/2007, 06:33 PM
Had a chance to meet the guy while I was still bartending, like a day or two after the second injury. He, and his family, were great. Engaging to talk to, and very courteous. Ryan was also very forthcoming about the injury. I want to see this kid do nothing but well, which he will when he hits the field.

the_ouskull

okienole3
6/29/2007, 06:41 PM
Had a chance to meet the guy while I was still bartending, like a day or two after the second injury. He, and his family, were great. Engaging to talk to, and very courteous. Ryan was also very forthcoming about the injury. I want to see this kid do nothing but well, which he will when he hits the field.

the_ouskull

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95308

What was he doing in a bar when he was only 18-19?

:eek:

OUTrumpet
6/29/2007, 06:48 PM
Youd be wrong to assume anything, if Jerry Schmidt says he is ready by North Texas or ghey Texas then that is what I will accept as truth

As much as I hate to say it...Coach Schmidt has told us things like that before. Jason White, Adrian Peterson just to name a few.

the_ouskull
6/29/2007, 06:59 PM

It was also a restaurant. They sat in the bar area because it's 1) out of the way, and 2) had a TV. The booths weren't 21+.

Sorry to ruin your "scoop." Lol.

the_ouskull

soonerboomer93
6/29/2007, 07:21 PM
normally this would be a pwned phrase

but i'll go with

okienole just got skull****ed...

the_ouskull
6/29/2007, 10:00 PM
Oh, I know he wasn't being confrontational... I react quite differently to those folk. :D Okienole's a good dude, I think...

the_ouskull

auto
6/29/2007, 10:30 PM

Are you joking or serious? Fantasyland meet reality:D

soonerboomer93
6/29/2007, 11:29 PM
Oh, I know he wasn't being confrontational... I react quite differently to those folk. :D Okienole's a good dude, I think...

the_ouskull

dude, doens't matter, the whole point was being able to say someone got skull****ed...

:D

goingoneight
6/30/2007, 02:47 AM
Question: gimme an honest answer.

If Ryan Reynolds has yet to see significant if any play-time for OU... why do people say he's gonna be "huge" but they neg DeMarco Murray for just the same scenario?

Good news, I'm glad he's feeling/doing good.

Newbomb Turk
6/30/2007, 02:12 PM
If Ryan Reynolds has yet to see significant if any play-time for OU... why do people say he's gonna be "huge" but they neg DeMarco Murray for just the same scenario?

who are these people?

starrca23
6/30/2007, 06:29 PM
I thouhgt everyone was high on DeMarco...I guess I don't understand what you are saying.

goingoneight
7/1/2007, 01:34 AM

You forgot the stupid :stunned: quotation marks.

goingoneight
7/1/2007, 01:40 AM
I thouhgt everyone was high on DeMarco...I guess I don't understand what you are saying.

The media and the rivals keep saying he "hasn't proven anything yet." Even a few fans have said that. Yet RR hasn't either, and there's sunshine coming from every direction for him. I hope he does well, but the truth is, they both played in the same HS, and both have yet to "prove" anything in a game.

My point about DeMarco is that he has been explosive ever since he arrived in Norman. He has taken on the 1's form day one and dominated. He played full-pads, full-conact, and no phony blue numbers on his jersey unlike AD did. Now, AD was/is a star, don't get me wrong... but how many spring games did he play where the whistle wasn't blown after two touches? DeMarco wasn't hit hard or tackled well for a reason, HE DOMINATED THE 1's AND 2's in full-pads, full-contact.

I don't like excessive hype or neg for anyone, but was has to be said has to be said. No one outside of maybe AD handled OU's starting defense the way DM did.

stoopified
7/2/2007, 08:10 AM
GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT, did I mention GREAT?, NEWS!!!
Exactly