PDA

View Full Version : Question for the left-leaning folks here

Jerk
6/29/2007, 11:54 AM
I don't want to debate you or anything, I'm just curious about something.

Iran is going to have to be dealt with soon, one way or the other. I'm thinking there is a chance that Bush will launch a limited bombing campaign before his term expires. This wouldn't be a land invasion or occupation. Most likely it would be multiple strikes with cruise missles and precision bombers aimed at the nuclear fascilities and the political leadership.

For those who consider themselves liberal, would you support a move like this or would there be a back-lash?

I'm not going to argue with you or make counter-points. I just want to listen.

royalfan5
6/29/2007, 11:56 AM
So you expect him to imitate a Clintonesqe policy?

Of course Iran is suffering from internal unrest over their gas rationing right now. We could see how that plays out.

Jerk
6/29/2007, 12:05 PM
Ah, well. Maybe I shouldn't have asked. I'm just trying to guage how united the country would be.

Give it 10-15 years and we will be in a major world war. Putin is a nutjob and will bring the Cold War back. China is building their military and will make a grab for Tawain. Iran's mullah's will get nukes. The whole ME is about to explode. Like I said before, get ready for perpetual, never-ending warfare.

Oh, and have a nice day. :)

Petro-Sooner
6/29/2007, 12:08 PM
All we have to do is have all the leaders from all the countries meet for a world leaders conference and talk it out. We would have world peace if we did that. Talk it out. :rolleyes: :D

Vaevictis
6/29/2007, 12:09 PM
Bush has no political capital to do anything "voluntarily" at this point. There will be the ever-present initial support bump from military action, but if he's going to do something and expect any kind of extended unity, there has to be unequivocal, undeniable, clear-to-everyone-even-the-reflexive-Bush-Bashers naked aggression on Iran's part. And even if he has that, he better be the very model of competence.

He's not going to get the benefit of the doubt again.

Flagstaffsooner
6/29/2007, 12:10 PM
As I said in 1979, "Nuke 'em 'til they glow!".

TUSooner
6/29/2007, 12:12 PM
Ah, well. Maybe I shouldn't have asked. I'm just trying to guage how united the country would be.

Give it 10-15 years and we will be in a major world war. Putin is a nutjob and will bring the Cold War back. China is building their military and will make a grab for Tawain. Iran's mullah's will get nukes. The whole ME is about to explode. Like I said before, get ready for perpetual, never-ending warfare.

Oh, and have a nice day. :)
Oh c'mon! Pessimist!

It will eventually end, when we're ALL DEAD.

Petro-Sooner
6/29/2007, 12:14 PM
I believe its called.

Armageddon.

And its coming soon.

OklahomaTuba
6/29/2007, 12:15 PM
I hope you are not serious Jerk.

A defeat for America is a victory for the left.

Besides, all this terrorism stuff is BS. Bush was responsible 9-11, just watch Loose Change and listen to Rosie, Michael, etc. We should be fighting the true evil in this world, evil money grubbing private corporations, right-wing hate radio and global warming.

Jerk
6/29/2007, 12:23 PM
I hope you are not serious Jerk.

A defeat for America is a victory for the left.

Besides, all this terrorism stuff is BS. Bush was responsible 9-11, just watch Loose Change and listen to Rosie, Michael, etc. We should be fighting the true evil in this world, evil money grubbing private corporations, right-wing hate radio and global warming.

At the end of the Gulf War, HW Bush had like a 91% approval rating. Only a few moonbats weren't impressed.

Question is: Can we ever be that united again if need be? Cuz we sure aren't now. Things are going to get bad. Very bad.

TexasLidig8r
6/29/2007, 12:24 PM
I vote to send these guys in. . .
http://www.impawards.com/2004/posters/team_america_world_police_ver2.jpg

Mjcpr
6/29/2007, 12:27 PM
First thing I need to know is does Iran have WMD's?

Jerk
6/29/2007, 12:29 PM
First thing I need to know is does Iran have WMD's?

Either they're trying to build them or they're doing an excellent job of blowing a lot of smoke up people's as,ses.

sooner_born_1960
6/29/2007, 12:29 PM
who are the impawards.com folks?

TexasLidig8r
6/29/2007, 01:25 PM
who are the impawards.com folks?

These people.. (dang innerweb complex not working thing!)

http://www.yourstandardlife.com/images/team-america-world-police-1.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
6/29/2007, 01:32 PM
AMERICA!

**** yeah!

sooneron
6/29/2007, 01:34 PM
Can we use the neutron bomb on em? Cuz if so, IN.

mikeelikee
6/29/2007, 01:36 PM
Sorry, I'm not qualified to respond to your question. I'm a Reagan conservative. :D

Tulsa_Fireman
6/29/2007, 01:43 PM
Bush has no political capital to do anything "voluntarily" at this point. There will be the ever-present initial support bump from military action, but if he's going to do something and expect any kind of extended unity, there has to be unequivocal, undeniable, clear-to-everyone-even-the-reflexive-Bush-Bashers naked aggression on Iran's part. And even if he has that, he better be the very model of competence.

Short of congressional support for an actual declaration of war or for establishment of funding, who gives a rip about "political capital"? If that ain't a buzzword to sling around, I'll kiss your butt.

If there's a threat to national security or to our interests abroad, the POTUS needs to uncork a can. Period. Screw a bunch of political capital. That's just a fancy way of saying the other side of the aisle thinks you owe them a favor. Not to mention, I'm just a big fan of war and death and drafted hippies because I'm a conservative.

Anyone have any kittens I can kill?

royalfan5
6/29/2007, 01:57 PM
Short of congressional support for an actual declaration of war or for establishment of funding, who gives a rip about "political capital"? If that ain't a buzzword to sling around, I'll kiss your butt.

If there's a threat to national security or to our interests abroad, the POTUS needs to uncork a can. Period. Screw a bunch of political capital. That's just a fancy way of saying the other side of the aisle thinks you owe them a favor. Not to mention, I'm just a big fan of war and death and drafted hippies because I'm a conservative.

I don't how if the President has his own side of the aisle any more.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/29/2007, 02:00 PM
Huh?

GrapevineSooner
6/29/2007, 02:03 PM

He's not going to get the benefit of the doubt again.

What Vaevictis said.

Even though I don't consider myself left-leaning. ;) Though, there's very little I support the present administration on anymore.

Vaevictis
6/29/2007, 02:11 PM

Are you serious, or are you just a ninja at subtle hyperbole?

MamaMia
6/29/2007, 02:13 PM

Oh, and have a nice day. :)China hates Taiwan? Now I know why my Chinese friends always get all frowny faced when I suggest lunch at the Thai place. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/34.gif

Tulsa_Fireman
6/29/2007, 02:14 PM
*throws down a smoke bomb*

Neenja, VANISH!

Vaevictis
6/29/2007, 02:17 PM
Just had to ask, because I've seen comments like that where the poster was serious :)

Tulsa_Fireman
6/29/2007, 02:20 PM
Or WAS I?

*cue dramatic music*

Stoop Dawg
6/29/2007, 02:21 PM
I believe its called.

Armageddon.

And its coming soon.

And by "soon" do you mean "sometime in the next 10,000 years"?

People have been predicting the end of the world since, well, since forever. I don't doubt that mankind will one day vanish from the face of this planet, but we've been a lot closer to it before than we are now.

Prepare for perpetual war? How is that any different than what we've had for centuries?

royalfan5
6/29/2007, 02:25 PM
China hates Taiwan? Now I know why my Chinese friends always get all frowny faced when I suggest lunch at the Thai place. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/34.gif
:confused:

leavingthezoo
6/29/2007, 02:32 PM
For those who consider themselves liberal, would you support a move like this or would there be a back-lash?

i guess it would depend on what the initial proposed reason is and how often it changes during the process and how far past declaration of mission accomplished we find ourselves mired in the craziness. i think, sometimes, by lumping everyone into a general mentality- several think if you're leaning left you see no reason for war or military action, and that's just not the case. the problem with bush is- it would be difficult to muster confidence in his decision making at this point, and that's not a party line affliction. he's losing his base as well.

(some of us, ironically, have felt all along the real danger was in Iran and not Iraq but have difficulty comprehending how we can afford the manpower, budget and intelligence to focus in another area at this point.)

the good news is (i guess) he's going to do what he wants to do without the support or desire to do the will of the American people. so... explosions for everyone! YAY! ;)

MamaMia
6/29/2007, 02:39 PM
I don't how if the President has his own side of the aisle any more.:confused:

Are we confusing each other today?

royalfan5
6/29/2007, 02:41 PM

I was always under the impression that thai food came from Thailand, and not Taiwan.

royalfan5
6/29/2007, 02:41 PM

And probably.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/29/2007, 02:42 PM
I was always under the impression that thai food came from Thailand, and not Taiwan.

You're both wrong.

It comes from the dog pound.

Petro-Sooner
6/29/2007, 02:43 PM
I don't how if the President has his own side of the aisle any more.

Hes not acting very conservative. Thats for sure.

MamaMia
6/29/2007, 02:51 PM
Thats probably right. :D

Petro-Sooner
6/29/2007, 02:52 PM
Jack cant talk Thai.

Beef
6/29/2007, 02:57 PM
I think everyone in America should pick a day and moon and fart in Iran's general direction at the same time.

OklahomaTuba
6/29/2007, 03:31 PM
I just wonder when Iran finally crosses that line? Obviously killing our soliders in Iraq and supporting terrorism against us and our allies isn't enough for us to start bombing them yet. I guess they have to have a goold ol fashioned German style holocaust go down in Israel or something first.

Pricetag
6/29/2007, 03:33 PM
I think everyone in America should pick a day and moon and fart in Iran's general direction at the same time.
Should we lean left or right when we do it?

Vaevictis
6/29/2007, 03:53 PM
I just wonder when Iran finally crosses that line? Obviously killing our soliders in Iraq and supporting terrorism against us and our allies isn't enough for us to start bombing them yet. I guess they have to have a goold ol fashioned German style holocaust go down in Israel or something first.

... and that's a problem with screwing up as badly as Iraq has been screwed up. They would have long since crossed the line -- and Bush would have all the support he could want -- if not for the political situation that resulted from the ****ups in Iraq.

OklahomaTuba
6/29/2007, 04:45 PM
... and that's a problem with screwing up as badly as Iraq has been screwed up. They would have long since crossed the line -- and Bush would have all the support he could want -- if not for the political situation that resulted from the ****ups in Iraq.

it wouldn't matter if Iraq was a glorious success (which it still may be). Hell, your peeps on the left have been calling Afganistan a **** up since, well since we invaded and defeated the Taliban.

Its about bashing Bush more than anything, even if it puts America in a position that we can't defend ourselves and our allies.

And compared to the political capital that Congress has at the moment, Bush is sitting pretty right now. Their approval rating is a lot lower than anything Bush as ever seen.

At least they got a pay increase passed though. Kudos to the dims for that!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/29/2007, 05:15 PM
it wouldn't matter if Iraq was a glorious success (which it still may be). Hell, your peeps on the left have been calling Afganistan a **** up since, well since we invaded and defeated the Taliban.

Its about bashing Bush more than anything, even if it puts America in a position that we can't defend ourselves and our allies.

And compared to the political capital that Congress has at the moment, Bush is sitting pretty right now. Their approval rating is a lot lower than anything Bush as ever seen.

At least they got a pay increase passed though. Kudos to the dims for that!You have cut to the heart of the matter, there. The leftists and their media have done everything they can think of to destroy the Bush administration, and they've been a lot more successful than I would have predicted. Of course, the POTUS could have chosen to fight back, by proceeding with realistic ROE in the conduct of the War in Iraq, knowing the left is going to condemn him, no matter what he does or says.

Stoop Dawg
6/29/2007, 05:39 PM
You have cut to the heart of the matter, there. The leftists and their media have done everything they can think of to destroy the Bush administration

This sounds vaguely familiar. Where have I heard this before? Hmmm, I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like this may have happened before, to another president. Hmmm, maybe I imagined it.

bluedogok
6/29/2007, 05:45 PM
I have been reading some stories about unrest in Iran against the current regime. It seems that Ahmenah-whatever-his-name-is was elected on a "cure poverty" ticket and the natives are getting restless since Iran is having to import gasoline and they raised the state-controlled price along with high inflation and rampant unemployment.

Harry Beanbag
6/29/2007, 05:47 PM
This sounds vaguely familiar. Where have I heard this before? Hmmm, I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like this may have happened before, to another president. Hmmm, maybe I imagined it.

I'm wondering if it's going to happen to every president from now on. Politics in this country has turned into a caricature of itself.

Harry Beanbag
6/29/2007, 05:49 PM
I have been reading some stories about unrest in Iran against the current regime. It seems that Ahmenah-whatever-his-name-is was elected on a "cure poverty" ticket and the natives are getting restless since Iran is having to import gasoline and they raised the state-controlled price along with high inflation and rampant unemployment.

Sounds like the Carter administration. :)

soonerscuba
6/29/2007, 06:01 PM
I'm wondering if it's going to happen to every president from now on. Politics in this country has turned into a caricature of itself.

Pretty much, I blame Bush.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/29/2007, 06:10 PM
Pretty much, I blame Bush.Of course you do.

Ike
6/30/2007, 01:33 AM

Vast X-wing conspiracies....

Damn you Skywalker!!

Rogue
7/1/2007, 04:30 PM
I've said it before...the scary thing about GWB is his uncanny ability to be so consistently effective and incompetent at the same time. Regarding the original question, I can't predict my possible future support for anything he does or might do without knowing a helluva lot more than "Iran will have to be dealt with soon." The bottom line is that I had high hopes for GWB when he picked his initial cabinet. At this point, I would second guess him if he thought aloud that the sky is blue because I have lost any confidence in him and his ability to make correct decisions or reverse wrong ones. So, probably I'd wail and gnash my teeth if he prompted a military engagement with another country.

jk the sooner fan
7/1/2007, 05:11 PM
i think Iran is going to make any decision we have to make really easy

which of course means it will lead to wrist slitting all over the country

SleestakSooner
7/1/2007, 11:52 PM
If Iran is having to import oil and the ecomony is all screwed up, then what reason would Cheney and his secret good-ole-boys club have to talk GW into sending in the troops?

If there's no money in it they won't bother. Of course they could always have us pay Haliburton a kazillion dollars to rebuild it after it stops glowing! That would set old Dick to salivating like a dog staring at a pork chop.

OklahomaTuba
7/2/2007, 12:01 AM
That evil bastard Cheney and his good ole boys from Haliburton convinced Bush to invade and occupy New Orleans while executing thousands of brown people Slee. Its only a matter of time till the innocent peace loving Democratic Republic of Iran gets the same treatment by Bu****ler and his RethugliKKKans.

Rhino
7/2/2007, 01:44 AM
Hmm, I used to think RLIMC was crazier than 'Tubs.

rufnek05
7/2/2007, 03:41 AM

I'm not going to argue with you or make counter-points. I just want to listen.

i think there would be a massive back lash from the extreamists like hamas, ect. most targeted at US militaryt baes, possibly even more 911ish attacks here in the US.