PDA

View Full Version : Amnesty Bill CLOBBERED in Senate!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/28/2007, 12:13 PM
Cloture vote falls short 47-53, or close to that. Dingy Harry Reid not likely to bring up the bill again anytime soon. So sad...WHERE'S THE FENCE?

OklahomaTuba
6/28/2007, 12:26 PM
http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2007/0701/borat_lebanon0109.jpg

Very Nice!

CUinNC
6/28/2007, 12:37 PM
Quote from POTUS
"Legal immigration is one of the top concerns of the American people"

damm straight, as well as amnesty for illegals...

approval rating at 26% & falling....maybe the people are being heard sometimes...

I can always hope, can't I?

6/28/2007, 12:39 PM
AMNESTY = BAD! It's not Mensa stuff. WHERE'S THE FENCE?

thenotman
6/28/2007, 12:52 PM
I thought Amnesty and the fence were two different issues.

Fence = Keeping out new illegals
Amnesty = Dealing with the present illegals

So build the fence then what?

6/28/2007, 12:56 PM
I thought Amnesty and the fence were two different issues.

Fence = Keeping out new illegals
Amnesty = Dealing with the present illegals

So build the fence then what?That's right, build the fence first. Then, once we have at least partial control over immigration, we can deal with those that are here. It's not difficult for the general populace to understand. The politicians, well, many don't get it.

TheBobbyTrain
6/28/2007, 12:56 PM
catapult the residing illegals to the other side of it.

garland sooner
6/28/2007, 01:00 PM
just a thought, pay mexican generals to keep illegals on their side of the border.

6/28/2007, 01:02 PM
just a thought, pay mexican generals to keep illegals on their side of the border.I don't think they would keep their jobs very long if they did that.

CatfishSooner
6/28/2007, 01:13 PM
amen

thenotman
6/28/2007, 01:16 PM
catapult the residing illegals to the other side of it.
Think they'd let me ride. That'd be SAWEET!

6/28/2007, 01:48 PM
Think they'd let me ride. That'd be SAWEET!No way. Mexico requires proper documentation for entry, through legal ports of entry. Skydiving in won't work for you.

Hatfield
6/28/2007, 01:49 PM
so just build a fence in the south?

Frozen Sooner
6/28/2007, 01:52 PM
Heh. Filibuster when done by people I disagree with=denial of the will of the majority. Filibuster when done by people I agree with=the will of the people being done.

royalfan5
6/28/2007, 01:57 PM
Wouldn't a sensible compromise be to build the wall around California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas borders with the rest of the United States instead?

def_lazer_fc
6/28/2007, 02:03 PM
how bout a giant dome. or those crazy fences in Lost that make your head explode. or we could put an electric fence up. or perhaps shock collars for the mexicans that'll go off when they get to close. man, i should be in congress. i'm oozing out the ideas here.

6/28/2007, 02:04 PM
Heh. Filibuster when done by people I disagree with=denial of the will of the majority. Filibuster when done by people I agree with=the will of the people being done.IMO, even a goodly number of democrats in the general populace want border security.(terrorism, ya know)

Petro-Sooner
6/28/2007, 02:05 PM
The Great Wall of America. I'm not joking either.

TUSooner
6/28/2007, 02:18 PM
My first thought was that "Amnesty Bill" was guy's nickname and that there was a fight on the Senate floor.

I don't get out much...

TheHumanAlphabet
6/28/2007, 02:47 PM
Heh. Filibuster when done by people I disagree with=denial of the will of the majority. Filibuster when done by people I agree with=the will of the people being done.

If I read the stories correctly, this wasn't a filibuster. This was a procedural vote that failed to push the bill to the next level. Isn't a filibuster when one person through a parlamentarian move prevents work of the Senate from proceeding because the filibusterer has the floor and will not relinquish it by continually speaking?

And oh yeah,

I am thankful that a really bad piece of law has been procedurally set aside. This bill as it was progressing was sort of like showing up for an exam, you sitting down to write it and the test not being completed, but that you were being held to the answers of the questions that you didn't know about yet...

soonervegas
6/28/2007, 02:58 PM
Ok so I think everyone agrees that step #1 should be building a fence so that future immigrants have to do things the RIGHT way.

With that being said, why so much knashing of teeth about Amnesty? Many of these people have been become a productive part of society for some time. Get them on the books, make them start paying federal/state taxes, etc. etc.

I don't understand the throw them all back over the wall mentality. There may be good point as to why to do that....I just haven't heard them. It has to be more than that "they are here illegally." That is as much the governments fault as it is these people wanting to better themselves.

6/28/2007, 03:01 PM
Ok so I think everyone agrees that step #1 should be building a fence so that future immigrants have to do things the RIGHT way.

With that being said, why so much knashing of teeth about Amnesty? Many of these people have been become a productive part of society for some time. Get them on the books, make them start paying federal/state taxes, etc. etc.

I don't understand the throw them all back over the wall mentality. There may be good point as to why to do that....I just haven't heard them. It has to be more than that "they are here illegally." That is as much the governments fault as it is these people wanting to better themselves.WORD!(Deluxe version)

Petro-Sooner
6/28/2007, 03:05 PM
If they want to better themselves then they need to fix there OWN corrupt country and better themselves there. Dont bring your poverty and disease into America.

Scott D
6/28/2007, 03:11 PM
If they want to better themselves then they need to fix there OWN corrupt country and better themselves there. Dont bring your poverty and disease into America.

and following this mindset, this country never would have ever had european immigration.

IronSooner
6/28/2007, 03:14 PM

There doesn't appear to be enough incentive. At some point we're going to have to realize that the only real and lasting solution to this is to make Mexico suck less. No small feat, I know. But what sort of deterrent is there given the fact that millions are willing to risk death sneaking in here to get away from their ****ty country.

Petro-Sooner
6/28/2007, 03:26 PM
Did the majority of the europeans come illegally?

Scott D
6/28/2007, 03:29 PM

legality has absolutely nothing to do with your previous statement.

NormanPride
6/28/2007, 03:43 PM
I don't think getting citizenship was such a convoluted process back then, either.

Scott D
6/28/2007, 03:58 PM
nor did everyone enter the country via Ellis Island like the history books seem to want you to believe.

Petro-Sooner
6/28/2007, 04:09 PM
Scott do you want the borders enforced?

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:14 PM
Absolutely I do, however there is a right way to do it, and a wrong way to do it. Unfortunately our government doesn't have a clue how to go about it the right way.

My objection to your previous statement was that there were immigrants who fled poverty and disease in Europe. Not everyone came over from there because of religious/ethnic persecution.

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2007, 04:29 PM
Quote from POTUS
"Legal immigration is one of the top concerns of the American people"

damm straight, as well as amnesty for illegals...

approval rating at 26% & falling....maybe the people are being heard sometimes...

I can always hope, can't I?

Did you type this correctly? I don't know anybody that is concerned about legal immigration.

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2007, 04:32 PM

Like THA said, it wasn't a filibuster. But since anywhere from 70-90% of the American public appears to have been against this bill, I'd say the will of the people actually was followed, in this instance at least.

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:37 PM
Did you type this correctly? I don't know anybody that is concerned about legal immigration.

psst..we are talking about Mr. Verbal Faux Paux here. You know the same guy that said he wanted OB/GYN's to practice their LOVE on their patients. ;)

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2007, 04:39 PM
psst..we are talking about Mr. Verbal Faux Paux here. You know the same guy that said he wanted OB/GYN's to practice their LOVE on their patients. ;)

I forget, sorry. :O :)

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:40 PM
well at least he keeps his speechwriters entertained ;)

Ike
6/28/2007, 05:03 PM
The Great Wall of America. I'm not joking either.

we can make it look like this too...
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/5/5d/Berlinermauer.jpg

Jerk
6/28/2007, 05:15 PM
we can make it look like this too...
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/5/5d/Berlinermauer.jpg
Yeah, that sure kept all of those poor, sick, and hungry West Germans out of the prosperous utopia that was East Germany.

CUinNC
6/28/2007, 05:18 PM

That was a quote I pulled directly from CNN.COM as soon as he issued his statement...CNN also had the quotation marks..

which is why I posted it,by deflection, GW will sidebar anything to do with this, while his troops are drivin' the truck, so to speak, with some kind of perceived agenda...

Got another one for ya from today...

quote: "at some point the congress will have to face the tough issues..."

WTF? at who's watch have we not enforced the laws, or enabled enforcement of employment of illegal aliens...I do not think for one minute the POTUS intends to restrict anything...

that's why they are here, and have become enabled to enjoy what they have....

Frozen Sooner
6/28/2007, 05:22 PM
If I read the stories correctly, this wasn't a filibuster. This was a procedural vote that failed to push the bill to the next level. Isn't a filibuster when one person through a parlamentarian move prevents work of the Senate from proceeding because the filibusterer has the floor and will not relinquish it by continually speaking?

And oh yeah,

I am thankful that a really bad piece of law has been procedurally set aside. This bill as it was progressing was sort of like showing up for an exam, you sitting down to write it and the test not being completed, but that you were being held to the answers of the questions that you didn't know about yet...

Cloture is the procedure by which a motion on the floor is given a timetable for vote, thereby bypassing filibuster. The motion for cloture was defeated, effectively killing the bill.

Frozen Sooner
6/28/2007, 05:23 PM
Like THA said, it wasn't a filibuster. But since anywhere from 70-90% of the American public appears to have been against this bill, I'd say the will of the people actually was followed, in this instance at least.

See my last post.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/28/2007, 05:27 PM
OH SNAP

Jerk
6/28/2007, 05:28 PM
I guess the democrats will have to wait a little longer to get their 40 million new voters.

And rich country club Republicans can't make cheap labor legal yet.

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2007, 05:29 PM
See my last post.

So what are you trying to say then, I'm confused.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/28/2007, 05:31 PM
So what are you trying to say then, I'm confused.

OH SNAP PART DEUX

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5694/ohsnap7ft.gif

royalfan5
6/28/2007, 06:13 PM
One branch of my family just kind of wandered down from Canada. I don't think anybody ever checked on them at any point, so they were probably illegal.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/28/2007, 06:25 PM
Cloture is the procedure by which a motion on the floor is given a timetable for vote, thereby bypassing filibuster. The motion for cloture was defeated, effectively killing the bill.

Thanks, as I said, I wasn't exactly sure of the vehicle here. I'm no parlimentarian or parlamentarian...one would be funky! ;)

usmc-sooner
6/28/2007, 06:44 PM
what I think is scary is congress tried to go ahead and do this when about 70% of the American people did not want it. The citizens both Dems and Pubs did not want this.

Okieflyer
6/28/2007, 06:53 PM
I guess the democrats will have to wait a little longer to get their 40 million new voters.

And rich country club Republicans can't make cheap labor legal yet.

Man isn't that a fact!

Frozen Sooner
6/28/2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks, as I said, I wasn't exactly sure of the vehicle here. I'm no parlimentarian or parlamentarian...one would be funky! ;)

Just the dog in me, baby.

BU BEAR
6/28/2007, 06:59 PM
Was Mike Rich wrong... again?

Frozen Sooner
6/28/2007, 07:01 PM
Was Mike Rich wrong... again?

Do you sit in front of a mirror practicing?

cloture - The only procedure by which the Senate can vote to place a time limit on consideration of a bill or other matter, and thereby overcome a filibuster. Under the cloture rule (Rule XXII), the Senate may limit consideration of a pending matter to 30 additional hours, but only by vote of three-fifths of the full Senate, normally 60 votes.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/glossary_term/cloture.htm

Octavian
6/28/2007, 08:38 PM

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2249/libertyhh3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these — the homeless, tempest-tossed — to me;

I lift my lamp beside the Golden Door.

usmc-sooner
6/28/2007, 08:48 PM
give me your vote

Vaevictis
6/28/2007, 08:58 PM

I bet the Republicans are happy they didn't gut the fillibuster right about now ;)

Personally, I think it would be nice if the leadership would make them actually, you know, do a fillibuster, instead of just backing down at the threat of one. (Granted, this would be the WRONG bill to do it on, but they've had and will have other, better opportunities.)

OklahomaTuba
6/29/2007, 08:41 AM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2249/libertyhh3.jpg (http://http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2249/libertyhh3.jpg)

Send these — the homeless, tempest-tossed — to me;

Of course, no one (except the indians maybe) is against legal immigration, but never mind that fact. :rolleyes:

Petro-Sooner
6/29/2007, 08:51 AM
give me your vote

Bingo.

Why is it so hard to enforce the laws we currently have?

thenotman
6/29/2007, 09:06 AM
Bingo.

Why is it so hard to enforce the laws we currently have?

I watched a little something last night where the border patrol just said they don't have the staff to catch everyone that crosses. Perhaps we need to contact our representatives and tell them to stop giving tax breaks to oil companies and use the additional revenue to hire more border patrol agents... just a thought...

Petro-Sooner
6/29/2007, 09:21 AM
:shaking fist: Lousy oil companies.

Okieflyer
6/29/2007, 10:10 AM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2249/libertyhh3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Send these — the homeless, tempest-tossed — to me legally;

Fixed!

TUSooner
6/29/2007, 10:27 AM
Sorry again, but every time I read the title of this thread, this is what I see:

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3513/billsblackeyeak6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
In the Senate, they used call me...
"Amnesty Bill."

6/29/2007, 10:48 AM
I watched a little something last night where the border patrol just said they don't have the staff to catch everyone that crosses. Perhaps we need to contact our representatives and tell them to stop giving tax breaks to oil companies and use the additional revenue to hire more border patrol agents... just a thought...There's lots of stupid and wasteful spending in Washington. If oil companies were taxed more, they would pass the tax on to the consumer, so that's prolly not a very good example of wasteful govt. spending.

OKC Sooner
6/29/2007, 12:55 PM
My first thought was that "Amnesty Bill" was guy's nickname and that there was a fight on the Senate floor.

I don't get out much...

http://www.aatrevue.com/images1/schoolhouse07.jpg

thenotman
6/29/2007, 01:37 PM
There's lots of stupid and wasteful spending in Washington. If oil companies were taxed more, they would pass the tax on to the consumer, so that's prolly not a very good example of wasteful govt. spending.

Yep, Free market