PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Raises $$$$

OU-HSV
6/27/2007, 11:18 PM
Surprisingly I didn't see this posted yet....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2918722

Raises approved for Castiglione, Oklahoma coaches
Associated Press

Updated: June 27, 2007, 5:29 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
ARDMORE, Okla. -- Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione and five of the Sooners' head coaches -- including football coach Bob Stoops and basketball coaches Sherri Coale and Jeff Capel -- had raises approved Wednesday by the university's Board of Regents.

Stoops, already one of the nation's highest-paid coaches, received a $50,000 annual raise, increasing his guaranteed annual income to $2.55 million, and had his contract extended by two years to December 2013.

Stoops, who guided the Sooners to the Big 12 Conference title last season, is eligible to receive a "stay bonus" of $3 million following the 2008 season if he remains at Oklahoma. His contract also is laden with incentives, including $150,000 if Oklahoma wins the national title.
Castiglione, who has been mentioned as a possible candidate to replace outgoing Big 12 Commissioner Kevin Weiberg, had his base salary increased by $30,000 to $325,000 and his potential bonus amount increased by $50,000 to $155,000.

Oklahoma also extended Castiglione's contract by four years and gave him a new title -- vice president for intercollegiate athletics programs -- in a move that university President David Boren said "sends a strong message ... that we desire and expect Joe Castiglione to lead our athletic department for many years."

Coale, whose squad has reached the round of 16 in the NCAA tournament the past two seasons behind reigning national player of the year Courtney Paris, received the largest bump. Coale had made $550,000 annually in guaranteed money, but now will be paid $800,000 a year. On Sunday, she will be eligible to receive $250,000 in deferred compensation and she could receive another $200,000 in deferred compensation if she remains at Oklahoma through June 2011.

Her contract, which was set to expire in 2010, now runs through 2017. It calls for Coale to receive a $20,000 raise each year, except for the 2011-12 contract year, during which the raise will be $70,000.

Castiglione said Coale now will be the third-highest paid coach in the Big 12, behind new Texas coach Gail Goestenkors and Baylor coach Kim Mulkey. Mulkey has won a national title, while Goestenkors (while at Duke) and Coale each have taken a team to the championship game.

Boren said that even before Oklahoma's contract discussions with Coale began, she turned down an offer to become Texas' head coach, following the retirement of Jody Conradt in March.

"They offered quite a bit more money than she was making, and she turned them down," Boren said.

"When people do things like that voluntarily all the time for you, you shouldn't just take them for granted, because she could have gone to Texas for more money than even this contract. She more than deserves what we're doing and we're just trying to send a signal of how much we appreciate her," Boren said.

Capel, who went 16-15 during his first season as the Sooners' men's coach, now will make $750,000 annually, up $100,000. His contract now extends to June 2012.

Boren and Castiglione said all the raises were market-driven and given in an attempt to ensure that the coaches will remain at Oklahoma.

"It was a good year, and it also reflects what's happening around the country," Boren said.

Stoops once was the nation's highest-paid football coach, a status now held by Nick Saban, who receives $4 million annually at Alabama.

"There are some real outliers like Alabama in football, but our coaches have not been pushing us to do things like that," Boren said. "We're mindful that we have a program that's very successful. It's generating increased revenues every year, which puts them in a position that we don't have to put any of our university budget money into athletics. In fact, they help us."

Castiglione said that while he's flattered about talk of a possible candidacy to become Big 12 commissioner, he's happy at Oklahoma.

"I'm fully committed to the University of Oklahoma," he said. "I've always considered it an honor and a privilege to have this role. While, in my business, that might be the natural next step, I still believe my best work is an extension of my passion to work with student-athletes and, of course, the coaches and staff, on a campus."

Softball coach Patty Gasso, whose Sooners won the Big 12 title and reached a super regional this past season, will receive a $11,900 raise in base salary to $122,000 annually. Track and cross country coach Martin Smith, who guided Oklahoma's men to the Big 12 outdoor title earlier this year, will have his base salary increase from $117,000 annually to $130,000. Both contracts now extend through June 2011.

Oklahoma also increased the annual guaranteed money received by Brent Venables, Stoops' defensive coordinator, by $50,000 to $315,000.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

aurorasooner
6/27/2007, 11:31 PM
Boren said that even before Oklahoma's contract discussions with Coale began, she turned down an offer to become Texas' head coach, following the retirement of Jody Conradt in March.

"They offered quite a bit more money than she was making, and she turned them down," Boren said.

"When people do things like that voluntarily all the time for you, you shouldn't just take them for granted, because she could have gone to Texas for more money than even this contract. She more than deserves what we're doing and we're just trying to send a signal of how much we appreciate her," Boren said.F*in whorn poachers. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Seamus
6/27/2007, 11:31 PM
I wonder how much Gel Boy's incentive is if the Sheep Pokers win the national title :rolleyes:

IndianJack
6/27/2007, 11:35 PM
Incentive: more sheep to poke.

Sooner74
6/27/2007, 11:48 PM
This type of thing makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside by giving all these coaches raises while a new levy of 500 dollars is being tacked onto each students tuition.

sooner518
6/27/2007, 11:56 PM
Incentive: more sheep to poke.
lol. nice

John Kochtoston
6/28/2007, 12:31 AM
This type of thing makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside by giving all these coaches raises while a new levy of 500 dollars is being tacked onto each students tuition.

Of course, the athletic department is self-sufficient, so tuition money isn't ending up paying for Stoops' new grotto.

Seamus
6/28/2007, 03:02 AM
Uh oh. Facts getting in the way of another good argument :D

John Kochtoston
6/28/2007, 03:06 AM
Plus, Stoops went for one of the lower-end grottos. You know, to keep costs down. Only a couple of waterfalls and just one reflecting pool. He splurged a little on the hanging garden, though.

swardboy
6/28/2007, 05:45 AM
Whew! Good news. Now Stoops won't be forced into one of those pyramid schemes to feed his family...

TheBigRedMachine
6/28/2007, 10:02 AM
Just so all of you don't go crazy over these raises.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070627_1_A9_spanc34632

Sooners in Rare Air: OU's endowments top $1 billion mark

By April Marciszewski, World Staff Writer
6/27/2007

ARDMORE -- University of Oklahoma President David Boren said Tuesday that the school has raised its endowment to $1 billion, joining only 19 other colleges nationwide in reaching that goal.

In the last few months, OU's endowment has risen to $1.108 billion, up from $219 million in 1992, according to the school.

The university received $125.8 million in donations in the last year. The endowment amount fluctuates based on the stock market.

Boren and other OU administrators reviewed the last year's accomplishments and 2007-08 goals at a board of regents meeting Tuesday in Ardmore.

Only interest earned from the endowment is spent, and that money primarily provides scholarships to students and pays faculty members whose jobs are endowed, Boren said.

OU faculty members, on average, earn about $11,000 more than Oklahoma State University's faculty members, and that is because of OU's endowment, Boren said. In the last two years, OU has provided 3,500 additional students with scholarships, also because of the endowment.

A large endowment helps a university weather poor leadership and hard times by keeping top faculty members and helping students pay for college, Boren said.

OU has increased its donor base from 17,000 in 1994 to almost 113,000 in 2006. Boren said the group of people capable of making large donations is small, so the university is working on grooming the younger generation -- people in their 20s through 40s -- to make donations.

:twinkies:

Sooner74
6/28/2007, 05:41 PM
Hell if they hand money around like they are and endowments are suposedly up their would be no need to raise tuiton.

OU-HSV
6/28/2007, 06:14 PM
I wonder how much Gel Boy's incentive is if the Sheep Pokers win the national title :rolleyes:
He gets a stoolwater sheephumper paid stock option in Paul Mitchell products

goingoneight
6/28/2007, 07:11 PM
Hell if they hand money around like they are and endowments are suposedly up their would be no need to raise tuiton.

See: "self-supporting athletic department." :texan:

Piware
6/28/2007, 08:56 PM

There is the Orange alternative. Why do you think Puke State has an enrollment at all. You get what you pay for. The endowment doesn't come from tuition funds so don't freak out.

Vaevictis
6/28/2007, 09:05 PM

That doesn't follow, at all. Harvard and Yale have massive endowments ($25 billion and $15 billion respectively), and they charge something like $15k/semester. And they've been raising it recently too.

Sooner74
6/28/2007, 09:56 PM
Sorry, I was under the misconception of OU having a yearly budget and this was part of it. Thanks for the clarification.

Herr Scholz
6/29/2007, 10:25 AM
F*in whorn poachers. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
Our women's AD said that was a complete lie by Boren. FYI.

Texas denies talking to OU's Coale

04:03 PM CDT on Thursday, June 28, 2007
By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

AUSTIN – Texas women's athletic director Chris Plonsky on Thursday issued a statement refuting Oklahoma president David Boren's claim that OU women's basketball coach Sherri Coale was offered the Texas job that went to Gail Goestenkors.

I did not speak to Sherri Coale about our coaching position," Plonsky said in the statement. "The fact is, Gail Goestenkors is the only individual who was interviewed, who considered and who ultimately accepted our offer to become head coach of the University of Texas women's basketball team. We are proud she is our coach."

Goestenkors accepted a seven-year contract worth $1 million annually.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/062907dnspoutbrief.231ee8cb.html

Ash
6/29/2007, 10:35 AM

[email protected]

AUSTIN – Texas women's athletic director Chris Plonsky on Thursday issued a statement refuting Oklahoma president David Boren's claim that OU women's basketball coach Sherri Coale was offered the Texas job that went to Gail Goestenkors.

I did not speak to Sherri Coale about our coaching position," Plonsky said in the statement. "The fact is, Gail Goestenkors is the only individual who was interviewed, who considered and who ultimately accepted our offer to become head coach of the University of Texas women's basketball team. We are proud she is our coach."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/062907dnspoutbrief.231ee8cb.html

And we all know that the public statements about coaching searches can be taken at face value.

Petro-Sooner
6/29/2007, 10:40 AM
so the university is working on grooming the younger generation -- people in their 20s through 40s -- to make donations.

I got your donation right here Boran.

Herr Scholz
6/29/2007, 10:43 AM
And we all know that the public statements about coaching searches can be taken at face value.

Don't think so. We went after the Duke coach before the position was even open. She was obviously our first choice. Maybe Coale played your President for a fool to get a raise?

Ash
6/29/2007, 10:58 AM
Don't think so. We went after the Duke coach before the position was even open. She was obviously our first choice. Maybe Coale played your President for a fool to get a raise?

After the success that Coale has had and where she's brought the program, the recruits she's bringing in, the exposure she's brought to the program I seriously doubt she needed to dangle the Hook 'em job in front of the AD to get a raise.

That kind of crap happens, but don't fool yourself, I seriously doubt it happened here.

Even if it did, who cares. Coale is still a Sooner. She's also the best and hands down hawtest wimmens BB coach in the B12. Succ it, whorns.

Herr Scholz
6/29/2007, 11:00 AM
That kind of crap happens, but don't fool yourself, I seriously doubt it happened here.
Why? Stoops has used this tactic a few times.

And sorry, but we didn't want your coach, that much is clear. We got a better one, the one we were after.

Ash
6/29/2007, 11:07 AM
Why? Stoops has used this tactic a few times.

And sorry, but we didn't want your coach, that much is clear. We got a better one, the one we were after.

********* whorn trolls are the succ.

End of discussion.

IndianJack
6/29/2007, 11:10 AM

This statement could be, and probably is, completely true, and it does not change the fact that Coale was offered. Just because the :texan: AD didn't speak to Coale personally does not foreclose the proposition that someone in the AD's office did (and almost certainly at the behest of the AD). Also AD is quoted as saying GG is only individual who was interviewed. Just because Coale didn't interview, does not mean she was not offered. Words mean things. Read and listen closely - especially in our world of coach speak and AD spin.

Herr Scholz
6/29/2007, 11:33 AM
This statement could be, and probably is, completely true, and it does not change the fact that Coale was offered. Just because the :texan: AD didn't speak to Coale personally does not foreclose the proposition that someone in the AD's office did (and almost certainly at the bequest of the AD). Also AD is quoted as saying GG is only individual who was interviewed. Just because Coale didn't interview, does not mean she was not offered. Words mean things. Read and listen closely - especially in our world of coach speak and AD spin.
Plausible explanation but I'm still not buying it. My gut tells me Coale was shining Boren and Joe C on to grease the wheels to get a raise. That, or Boren was just trying to needle UT.

IndianJack
6/29/2007, 11:51 AM
Plausible explanation but I'm still not buying it. My gut tells me Coale was shining Boren and Joe C on to grease the wheels to get a raise. That, or Boren was just trying to needle UT.

I would be more inclined to believe the latter. Having witnessed and being incredibly impressed by Coale since she was coaching at Norman High in the early 90's, I have never had the impression that she was a "greaser." Boren is a politician, though. Greasing comes with the title.

Stoop Dawg
6/29/2007, 12:11 PM
Capel, who went 16-15 during his first season as the Sooners' men's coach, now will make $750,000 annually, up $100,000. His contract now extends to June 2012.

A first year coach who barely managed .500 gets a 15% raise? Holy crap, I need to go work for OU.

Stoop Dawg
6/29/2007, 12:14 PM

Here's the bottom line: You don't know jack **** about what happened. Neither do I.

Seamus
6/29/2007, 12:21 PM
PWN3D.

IndianJack
6/29/2007, 12:25 PM
A first year coach who barely managed .500 gets a 15% raise? Holy crap, I need to go work for OU.

They are rather generous, huh? However, he did do some good things with a squad that practically lost its entire incoming freshman class. I do not proclaim to be any sort of expert on OU basketball, but I think he got more out of that group during the season than any other coach could have, and I'm looking forward to what he can do once some more upper echelon talent starts rolling in.

TexasLidig8r
6/29/2007, 01:32 PM
. . . Boren is a politician, though. Greasing comes with the title.

I thought he was still busy trying to learn the difference between "principal" and "principle" and getting the Oregon game fiasco erased from the record books. :D

IndianJack
6/29/2007, 02:42 PM
I thought he was still busy trying to learn the difference between "principal" and "principle" and getting the Oregon game fiasco erased from the record books. :D

As in Satan is the undiclosed principal of :texan: football and it's principles?;)

Caveat on those alcoholic nymphos. See: Palahniuk's Choke. Unless, of course, you are an addiction-ridden satyr. :)

Herr Scholz
6/29/2007, 03:04 PM
Here's the bottom line: You don't know jack **** about what happened. Neither do I.
Not definitively, no. But I do know we got a coach who has been to Four Final 4s and two national title games since '99. Logic tells me that we would talk to a coach with those credentials before one who doesn't have them.

C&CDean
6/29/2007, 03:20 PM
Not definitively, no. But I do know we got a coach who has been to Four Final 4s and two national title games since '99. Logic tells me that we would talk to a coach with those credentials before one who doesn't have them.

Hey Herr, STFU. If Boren said she was offered, she was offered. I don't give a **** what your dyke-lovin' biznacho AD said. She's a whorn, therefore she's a ****ing liar.

Herr Scholz
6/29/2007, 03:24 PM
Hey, Dean, what's up?

And Boren is a politician. I thought you knew better than to trust political spin.

And regardless of the he said/she said going on here, I feel like we got the better coach anyway so no big whoop.

C&CDean
6/29/2007, 03:40 PM
Hey, Dean, what's up?

And Boren is a politician. I thought you knew better than to trust political spin.

And regardless of the he said/she said going on here, I feel like we got the better coach anyway so no big whoop.

Yes, but you also feel that penis is preferable to poon, so your opinion ain't valid around here.

And I'm doing fine. Other than all the dang rain.

Herr Scholz
6/29/2007, 03:43 PM
We almost got washed away down here. Marble Falls near Austin got 19 inches the other night. Huge Lake Travis went up 12 feet and flooded (was going up a foot an hour).

Tear Down This Wall
6/29/2007, 04:17 PM
If Boren's lip were moving, he was lying.

oumartin
6/29/2007, 10:44 PM
Sherri owned GG in the final four

elderlysooner
6/29/2007, 11:01 PM

[email protected]

Plonsky's statement sounds like a ton of hay that's been recycled through a cow.:pop: :pop:

OU-HSV
6/29/2007, 11:41 PM
Yes, but you also feel that penis is preferable to poon, so your opinion ain't valid around here.

And I'm doing fine. Other than all the dang rain. Haha.
And yep, we've had our fair share of rain in OK. I don't believe what the effin whorns say

goingoneight
6/30/2007, 02:46 AM

[email protected]

Right... and Nick Saban isn't leaving Miami... Les Miles loves his job at Oklahoma State... Mack Brown is excited about North Carolina's future so he's staying, too.

TexasLidig8r
7/2/2007, 07:55 AM
If Boren's lip were moving, he was lying.

DING DING DING.. and we have a winner!!!

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/06/30/0630sptmakers.html?COXnetJSessionIDbuild40a=1GrQGG WVVTVxLLmyn6SjQGN11c2fTYlF3pQGLGWGN601cXgjhQJD!-845022865&UrAuth=%60N_NUO%60NTUbTTUWUXUVUZTZUTUWU_UbUZU]UZUcTYWYWZV&urcm=y

In the article, Boren is quoted as...

On Friday, Boren said, "I did not ever assert that Sherri Coale was offered any other job. I made a general statement that Sherri Coale, if she would allow herself to be considered, would have many opportunities to go other places. I noted as only an example that the new Texas coach was offered a much higher salary than Sherri Coale now receives. My statements were clearly misinterpreted. My point was she could have numerous opportunities if she would allow herself to be considered, but she is very loyal to OU."

Previously Boren stated . . .

"They (TEXAS) offered quite a bit more money than she (COALE) was making, and she turned them down. When people do things like that voluntarily all the time for you, you shouldn't take them for granted, because she could have gone to Texas for more money than even this contract."

And THIS guy appeared before the NCAA in April? Makes you wonder whether the NCAA is thinking.. "well, he lied about this, what else did he lie about?"

Herr Scholz
7/2/2007, 10:45 AM
Wow, that's impressive backpedaling by Boren. Sounds like Slick Willie there. Make up a complete lie, get called out on it, and subsequently spin like a windmill. :D