PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been by used-to-be Bell's (Tulsa) lately?

goingoneight
6/27/2007, 11:05 PM
Man, that's just depressing. I drove by there today and it just felt strange seeing all that stuff being torn apart. I think everyone in Tulsa has somwe kind of memory of that place. :(
What exactly is being done in that area again? Robby Bell said something about relocating, did he just hate Tulsa or something?

PhxSooner
6/27/2007, 11:37 PM
Man, that's just depressing. I drove by there today and it just felt strange seeing all that stuff being torn apart. I think everyone in Tulsa has somwe kind of memory of that place. :(
What exactly is being done in that area again? Robby Bell said something about relocating, did he just hate Tulsa or something?

I thought the story was that he ticked off someone on the fair board, and they yanked/didn't renew the contract Bell's had with the city or county.

I loved Bell's as a kid and teenager. Our church used to go there when they still had the water slide, and we went every year to the fair.

bri
6/27/2007, 11:44 PM
the county decided not to renew Bell's lease, saying they weren't bringing in enough revenue or some such. Bell's didn't want to go, but they have no choice. :mad:

SicEmBaylor
6/27/2007, 11:45 PM
I went by there Sunday. Yes, it was depressing.

PhxSooner
6/27/2007, 11:59 PM
Ah, Zingo. Every time I rode it, I wasn't completely sure that it would make it up that first hill.

goingoneight
6/28/2007, 01:41 AM
I remember when I was in middle school, there was a kid from the same school as me who was killed on the "Wildcat" rollercoaster. It was just one of those freak-accidents, just-so-happened to be Bell's that the ride broke.

soonersponge
6/28/2007, 09:06 AM
They are building a brand new one in one of the suberbs. It will be alot better and a tad bit safer. Broken Arrow, Sand Springs, Bixby, and Jenks are all bidding to get it.

M
6/28/2007, 09:14 AM
From yesterday's Tulsa World:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/DixieChickMissy/Bells1.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/DixieChickMissy/Bells2.jpg

:(

blueyedsooner
6/28/2007, 09:31 AM
Awww...come on! I didn't need pics! That was the first roller coaster I ever rode. I was probably about 6, and it scared the bejebus outta me! :(

TMcGee86
6/28/2007, 10:54 AM
oh man, I didn't need to see that either. Poor Zingo. First roller coaster evar. Many, many memories of Bells. I hope they relocate.

yermom
6/28/2007, 11:08 AM
Awww...come on! I didn't need pics! That was the first roller coaster I ever rode. I was probably about 6, and it scared the bejebus outta me! :(

i rode it at 3 or 4 after begging to get on

oh man, i was a dumb little kid :O

when i was a fair amount older i loved that thing

**** you, Tulsa

bri
6/28/2007, 11:10 AM
**** you, Tulsa County

I'm cool with hating Tulsa County, 'cause that inclues all the damnable suburbs. :D

yermom
6/28/2007, 11:12 AM
hey, i'm from the hills and trees county, i'm still ****ed. hell, i grew up like a mile and a half away from Bell's

bri
6/28/2007, 11:14 AM
I'm p*ssed too; I was looking forward to getting my Himalaya on this summer/fall. But that doesn't change the fact that anger should be directed at the county, not the city. :D

M
6/28/2007, 11:24 AM
I was looking forward to getting my Himalaya on this summer/fall.

That made me laugh. I loved that ride, but I'd always forget that when I sat on the outside of the seat, I'd get squished to death. Same thing on the Scrambler.

OKLA21FAN
6/28/2007, 11:58 AM
I'm p*ssed too; I was looking forward to getting my Himalaya on this summer/fall.

'do ya wanna go faster?!?' :pop:

PhxSooner
6/28/2007, 12:02 PM
I loved the Himalaya. And that 1001 Nights or whatever magic carpet thingy it was back in the late 80s. My lack of a social life precluded me from fully enjoying Phantasmagoria.:O

bri
6/28/2007, 12:35 PM
'do ya wanna go faster?!?' :pop:

YEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Pricetag
6/28/2007, 01:18 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo

bri
6/28/2007, 01:23 PM
Wait, I that was Space Mountain?

;)

IB4OU2
6/28/2007, 01:41 PM
hey, i'm from the hills and trees county, i'm still ****ed. hell, i grew up like a mile and a half away from Bell's

I lived about 2 miles from there for about twenty years...:(

IB4OU2
6/28/2007, 01:43 PM
I'm p*ssed too; I was looking forward to getting my Himalaya on this summer/fall. But that doesn't change the fact that anger should be directed at the county, not the city. :D

Nothing like puking while being propelled backwards while listening to 60's Rock...:D

TMcGee86
6/28/2007, 01:51 PM
I am remembering wrong or didn't Zingo used to have a tunnel you went through? With a scary face?

anyone? anyone? something d...o...o ecomonmics?

M
6/28/2007, 01:52 PM
I am remembering wrong or didn't Zingo used to have a tunnel you went through? With a scary face?

anyone? anyone? something d...o...o ecomonmics?

Yeah, it went through Joker's mouth.

TMcGee86
6/28/2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, it went through Joker's mouth.

Yeah! I thought it did, but when I saw pictures I thought maybe I had remembered it different than it really was. I remember wanting to hold my hands up as you go under that but I was always too scared that somehow I would be the one that got my arms ripped off. lol.

And i second the notion about missing out on the popularity of the phantasmagoria, when i was really young I couldnt understand why it was such a hit with the older crowd.

M
6/28/2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah! I thought it did, but when I saw pictures I thought maybe I had remembered it different than it really was. I remember wanting to hold my hands up as you go under that but I was always too scared that somehow I would be the one that got my arms ripped off. lol.

And i second the notion about missing out on the popularity of the phantasmagoria, when i was really young I couldnt understand why it was such a hit with the older crowd.

I used to think I'd get my arms ripped off too!

The first time I went on Phantasmagoria, I kept my eyes closed the whole time because I was so scared. Several years down the road, I kept my eyes closed on that ride but for different reasons. ;)

Pricetag
6/28/2007, 02:17 PM
That bus that popped down and honked its horn was my least favorite part. I rode for several years of my childhood with my hands over my ears in preparation for that one. It didn't work for like the last 10 years of the ride's existence, but I still was ready for it every time.

bri
6/28/2007, 05:03 PM

The first time I went on Phantasmagoria, I kept my eyes closed the whole time because I was so scared. Several years down the road, I kept my eyes closed on that ride but for different reasons. ;)

:les: IT BURNS!!!

:D

soonersweetie
6/29/2007, 02:29 PM

Same here on keeping the eyes closed.

I had forgotten about the Himalaya. One day during my mom's company picnic there, my girlfriend and I were the only ones on the Himalaya and I swear he let us ride for like an hour without even getting off. It was great fun.

This is just sad :(

Soonrboy
6/29/2007, 02:59 PM
Wasn't there a giant slide beside the phantasmagoria? you'd take a burlap sack up to the top...

PhxSooner
6/29/2007, 03:19 PM
Wasn't there a giant slide beside the phantasmagoria? you'd take a burlap sack up to the top...
Yes, but they got rid of that sometime in the mid to late 80s, I think. They also had a water flume or two that was taken down around that time.

TheLurker
6/29/2007, 03:56 PM
Here's a pretty cool flash vid featuring the Phantasmagoria.
http://www.secretfunspot.com/PHANTASMAGORIA.swf