PDA

View Full Version : Before anyone complains about the tuition hike

1stTimeCaller
6/27/2007, 10:31 PM
at OU that was announced at about the same time a few OU coaches got raises, I would like to remind everyone that financially, the University of Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma Athletics Department are seperate entities and that 0% of your tuition goes to pay for coaches salaries and cleats.

OUinFLA
6/27/2007, 10:36 PM
how about scholarships?
:D

sanantoniosooner
6/27/2007, 10:37 PM
The tuition hike coincides with the startup of slickdawgs forum...........

1stTimeCaller
6/27/2007, 10:40 PM
Athletic scholarships?

I would also like to add that my post may be pregnant as it is missing it's period.

goingoneight
6/27/2007, 11:11 PM
:stunned: it all gos to the uo playrs pockits

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 11:27 PM
universities are run by economists these days, and education is being colonized by the corporate form. don't expect to pay less.

rufnek05
6/27/2007, 11:50 PM
all i know is 10% is too much, greedy bastards. but its still pretty cheap for a top univeristy. well for us in-staters

PhxSooner
6/28/2007, 12:04 AM
Wow. Out-of-state tuition looks about $14K for this year. I never knew there was such a difference.

yermom
6/28/2007, 03:12 AM
so much for the lottery

BajaOklahoma
6/28/2007, 06:37 AM
When Lil Baja was accepted for Fall 2004, tuition jumped 10.7% over the summer.
Summer 2005, another 5. something % increase.
Summer 2006, another 5. something % increase.
Now another 9.9%
And next year will be how much?

Basically a 30% increase since she was acceted. And because she will be taking 7000 level classes, it will be even more out-of-our pcoket.
Add in the fact that the Regents just approved a change in the PT program. Students entering PT in Fall 2008 will be working on their doctorate, not just masters.

I understand the need to pay the bills. I understand the need for and agree to pay a higher rate because we don't live in Oklahoma anymore. I really miss the Generations program. This is going to decrease the number of Alumni sending their kids to OU.

I do think that this last increase is going to cause some kids to go elsewhere - especially the out-of-staters. You may not agree, but I think that is not good in the long run. These are the kids helping foot the bill so the instate rate stays so low. The lack of exposure to other ideas, customs, and experiences will hurt the education level.

It used to cost the same to go to OU (out-of-state rates) when compared to some of the bigger schools here (instate). Cheaper cost-of-living offset part of the higher tuition rate. Now, not so much.

I am glad that the entrance requirements for out-of-state students has gone up, Hopefully the instate requirements will go up too.

Okieflyer
6/28/2007, 07:02 AM
so much for the lottery

Yeah, personally I think with all of the money rooolllllling in from the Lottery we should be able to send our kids to college for free.

Oh wait, that would be a "Tax Cut on the most wealthy" in this country or something.

SoonerStormchaser
6/28/2007, 07:23 AM
You all know how pi$$ed I am about this...the fact they keep jacking with the tuition while hiring math teachers who don't give a **** and English teachers who can barely speak English...so I'll just leave it at that and call it a day before someone negs me.

King Crimson
6/28/2007, 07:41 AM
we should bomb OU, Iran, Mexico, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and Canada.

but, i feel y'all. tuition % increases are out of hand. but education is a business these days--which is a detriment to the classroom experience, but the administrators all drive really sweet cars and go on sweet paid for "retreats" to places like Estes Park, Colorado on the tax payer dime.

Hamhock
6/28/2007, 08:22 AM
we should bomb OU, Iran, Mexico, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and Canada.

you forgot the dude that won the US Open.

King Crimson
6/28/2007, 08:29 AM
and bomb Angel Cabrera.

Taxman71
6/28/2007, 09:04 AM
Tuition will continue to increase until it causes a decrease in enrollment.

MamaMia
6/28/2007, 09:08 AM
Hasn't it been quite a while since OU raised tuition?

Hamhock
6/28/2007, 09:08 AM
Tuition will continue to increase until it causes a decrease in enrollment.

:les: Get your logic out of here!!!

C&CDean
6/28/2007, 09:14 AM
It's all relative....

I wouldn't ever send my kids out of state unless there was a relative they could live with and lie and say they were in-state. But then again, I don't send my kids to college either. If they want to go, I'll pay their books and tuition. Nothing more. If they need an apartment, a car, insurance, etc., it's on their dime. I honestly believe kids get a much better, meaningful, and learning college experience by not having the traditional college experience. There's time for parties for the rest of your life. There's a party somewhere every night of the week, and several on the weekends. I ain't sweating so you can go party for 4-5 years when you're supposed to be learning about life and your future.

Scott D
6/28/2007, 10:03 AM
This thread should be an amusing one to watch.

Petro-Sooner
6/28/2007, 10:22 AM
so much for the lottery

Yeah I was thinking Governor Sleepsalot's big plan was going to solve ALL our problems. :rolleyes: What a joke. OU is not getting another dime of my money.

C&CDean
6/28/2007, 10:27 AM
Yeah I was thinking Governor Sleepsalot's big plan was going to solve ALL our problems. :rolleyes: What a joke. OU is not getting another dime of my money.

And I bet David Boren is gonna lose some sleep about that.

Taxman71
6/28/2007, 10:30 AM
The same ills that plague public schools in Oklahoma also affect its state colleges. There will never be enough money to satisfy any education administrators....ever. The money is largely mismanaged or they simply spend more than their budget allows followed by the annual "we need more money to offer a good education" bailout. Meanwhile, teachers are on the low end of the pay scale while Superintendents, etc. get raises and perks galore. And the Oklahoma Educator's union is a joke.

As for the lottery, the annual education budget includes "estimated" income from the lottery. Thus, the blame game falls on Okies not gambling "enough" rather than others not being able to make and stick to a budget.

Beef
6/28/2007, 10:34 AM
It used to cost the same to go to OU (out-of-state rates) when compared to some of the bigger schools here (instate). Cheaper cost-of-living offset part of the higher tuition rate. Now, not so much.
That's one of the reasons I went to OU instead of that ****ty school in Austin. There was almost no housing whatsoever for freshmen, so you had to pay a fortune to live off campus.

1stTimeCaller
6/28/2007, 10:49 AM
The lack of exposure to other ideas, customs, and experiences will hurt the education level.

I agree with 99.99% of your post but if that line is talking about kids that live in Texas, the metroplex in particular, OU isn't missing out on any other ideas, customs or experiences if some of them choose not to attend OU.

College still isn't very expensive. Those that want to go can still go.

sanantoniosooner
6/28/2007, 11:27 AM
College still isn't very expensive.
Your opinion is needed in the "steak thread".

They're arguing about paying with 2 $50s or a Ben Franklin.

def_lazer_fc
6/28/2007, 01:51 PM
It's all relative....

I wouldn't ever send my kids out of state unless there was a relative they could live with and lie and say they were in-state. But then again, I don't send my kids to college either. If they want to go, I'll pay their books and tuition. Nothing more. If they need an apartment, a car, insurance, etc., it's on their dime. I honestly believe kids get a much better, meaningful, and learning college experience by not having the traditional college experience. There's time for parties for the rest of your life. There's a party somewhere every night of the week, and several on the weekends. I ain't sweating so you can go party for 4-5 years when you're supposed to be learning about life and your future.
don't be a buzzkill dude. party!!

C&CDean
6/28/2007, 02:04 PM
don't be a buzzkill dude. party!!

Me? I party like a mofo. I can afford it. I just can't afford for my kids to.

royalfan5
6/28/2007, 02:08 PM
I'm all for college being more expensive. Hopefully it discourages the ****-ups from going to school, and wasting the time of the people who actually want to learn and achieve.

Scott D
6/28/2007, 02:16 PM
I'm all for college being more expensive. Hopefully it discourages the ****-ups from going to school, and wasting the time of the people who actually want to learn and achieve.

no offense, but there are plenty of ****-ups that come from well to do and wealthy families who are only there to waste the time of people who actually want to learn and achieve.

SoonerStormchaser
6/28/2007, 04:06 PM
Hasn't it been quite a while since OU raised tuition?

Yah...A WHOLE YEAR!!!

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:18 PM
You know, for all of the people complaining about a tuition hike. There are public state universities in this country whom charge more in tuition for in-state students than OU charges for out-of-state students.

BajaOklahoma
6/28/2007, 04:55 PM
1TC, yes, I was referring to all of the out-of-state students, not just the ones around here. I think it's important for the students to meet a variety of people.

Scott, the instate rate is lower than what some of the community colleges charge for a year of classes.

I also have no issue with the out-of-state admission requirements being higher than the instate requirements. I do agree that the instate admissions requirements should be higher.

Scott D
6/28/2007, 05:00 PM
1TC, yes, I was referring to all of the out-of-state students, not just the ones around here. I think it's important for the students to meet a variety of people.

Scott, the instate rate is lower than what some of the community colleges charge for a year of classes.

I also have no issue with the out-of-state admission requirements being higher than the instate requirements. I do agree that the instate admissions requirements should be higher.

That'd be a no win situation Baja, if you raise the in-state admission requirements you open yourself up to exclusionary/discriminatory lawsuits. There isn't really much of a happy medium out there, but the way things are heading in this country via college we're going to end up with one of two conclusions. Either only the wealthy will be able to afford to send their children to college, or 95% of graduates will be in debt over their heads by the time they graduate (especially with these new loan programs out there).

1stTimeCaller
6/28/2007, 05:11 PM
Either only the wealthy will be able to afford to send their children to college

Please stop saying stuff like this. That's simply not true. If someone wants to go to college they can. Some have to want to attend more than others but any kid in America that has a desire to obtain a bachelor's degree can.

Unless you consider my mother, a math and science teacher, wealthy. Neither my brother nor I had any debt when we graduated other than car loans.

yermom
6/28/2007, 05:21 PM
you are a pretty special case

and a teacher may not make a lot of money, but it's a decent and stable job

Mjcpr
6/28/2007, 05:28 PM
you are a pretty special case

That's putting it mildly.

1stTimeCaller
6/28/2007, 05:29 PM
I've always been told that I was special.... ;)

Seriously, I lived in a 5th wheel travel trailer for three of my years at OU. It was not nice by any stretch of the imagination. My address at one point was 2601 (I think) Classen Lot 7A then the PO changed it to simply 7 A Street Norman, OK 73069. It was cheap. Mom kicked in $150/ month to help out.

royalfan5
6/28/2007, 06:06 PM
no offense, but there are plenty of ****-ups that come from well to do and wealthy families who are only there to waste the time of people who actually want to learn and achieve.
But they have the money to buy beer for everyone. That makes them more useful than poor ****-ups.

Scott D
6/28/2007, 06:07 PM
Please stop saying stuff like this. That's simply not true. If someone wants to go to college they can. Some have to want to attend more than others but any kid in America that has a desire to obtain a bachelor's degree can.

Unless you consider my mother, a math and science teacher, wealthy. Neither my brother nor I had any debt when we graduated other than car loans.

I'm not saying it's now, or the near future. However, if things continue "down the same path", that will be only one of two viable alternatives. Like it or not, in a lot of places, the "middle class" is being squeezed out.

Mjcpr
6/28/2007, 06:11 PM
Like it or not, in a lot of places, the "middle class" is being squeezed out.

Fortunately, nobody that posts here will be affected.

sanantoniosooner
6/28/2007, 06:43 PM
Fortunately, nobody that posts here will be affected.

I will only eat steaks cooked by the Queen of England herself

usmc-sooner
6/28/2007, 07:46 PM

exactly

if you want it bad enough it is there, I've worked with underprivileged kids, that have made it through college. Part of it is their attitude. Some people say nothing can hold me down, and others give in and fail and blame others and make excuses. I had a young Marine, from Georgia who lost both parents (neither had any money) the kid had nothing but what he got paid every two weeks. He told me he would get his Degree (neither parent had any type of education) I told him I would help him with (homework)his classes if he could swing it. He also was a YOUNG newlywed with a child. This kid worked hard, sacrificed a lot "good times" I used to go with him to his nightly math classes so I could help him with it. The kid worked hard and earned his Degree. He went on to OCS and then got out and is doing well.

I've seen guys from my hometown who came from absolutely nothing and finish college. It's attainable and anyone can do it. It's probably harder for a kid from middle class America than one from dirt poor America.

BajaOklahoma
6/28/2007, 08:24 PM
Scott, I don't think that raising the minimum ACT score, the SAT score or GPA is going to be considered discriminatory. Do it like they are doing the tuition increases, a little each year. It doesn't have to be as high as the Ivy League schools either. It's just embarassingly low.

Yeah, I'm middle class. We make too much to qualify for help, but not enough to send them to school without some belt tightening. I now have an hourglass figure. :D