PDA

View Full Version : Why does Capel make more $ than Coale?

stoopified
6/27/2007, 06:56 PM
I don't mean to slam him but what gives?Sherri has established the womans team as a national player and Capel is rebuilding a program that does not appear to be on par with the Lady Sooners.According to KWTV 9 Sherri got a $250,000 raise bringing her up to $595,000 and Capel makes $705,000 .It doesn't make sense to me.Sorry,I have no link just saw it on 6PM news.

hurricane'bone
6/27/2007, 07:11 PM
Coale's overall record with the Sooners is 232-118. OU regents on Wednesday approved $250,000 raise for Coale, bumping her annual guaranteed compensation to $800,000, and extended her contract by seven years to 2017.

Story from The Oklahoman (http://newsok.com/article/3071811)

LittleWingSooner
6/27/2007, 07:30 PM
Probably because womens basketball doesn't make half as much as mens basketball.

Big Red Ron
6/27/2007, 07:34 PM
Same reason why I make more $$ than my wife. He's a man. pffftt

:D

stoopified
6/27/2007, 08:37 PM
Same reason why I make more $$ than my wife. He's a man. pffftt

:D
That is EXACTLY what my wife said.

SOONER STEAKER
6/27/2007, 09:47 PM
Mens basketball is considered a revenue producing sport whereas women's may not be considered a revenue producing sport.

Also, men coaches make more at the D-1 level and to get a good coach one has to pay the national average or above.

If a bigtime school made a run at Coale, I think she would be given a healthy raise which is what happened today, she was given a $250K raise and she now makes something in the neighborhood of $800K. Which isn't bad for a women's coach.

Sooner74
6/27/2007, 11:54 PM
So basically what everyone is saying is that if you want to make it big without trying your hardest; their are 3 rules:

1)Drop Out of School
2)Become a guy if not one already
3)Go coach somewhere because your bound to make money.

LittleWingSooner
6/28/2007, 12:33 AM
You can't compare Coal's salery to Capel's, You compare Coal with other women's coaches. That's probably the best comparison.

fwsooner22
6/28/2007, 11:08 AM
The Womens program loses money...............

CobraKai
6/28/2007, 12:49 PM
The same reason the world's most successful teachers make less than an average doctor. The market sets the price for both.

Jimminy Crimson
6/28/2007, 12:54 PM
The Womens program loses money...............

I believe the OU women are one of probably less than a dozen programs that actually turn a profit...

fwsooner22
6/28/2007, 02:49 PM
I believe the OU women are one of probably less than a dozen programs that actually turn a profit...

Not True.....Football is the only program that operates in the black.....read that in one of the OU circulars one month.....which, if they didn't have so many of those they might have a little more $$$

fwsooner22
6/28/2007, 02:52 PM
You can't compare Coal's salery to Capel's, You compare Coal with other women's coaches. That's probably the best comparison.

I compare coal with crude oil or solar power.....Now, Coale you are probably correct.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Off-season ya know!

the_ouskull
6/28/2007, 06:25 PM
Don't apologize. If people don't want to take the time to spell things correctly, and to put a premium on doing so when they allow their words and thoughts to appear in a public forum, then they are bringing the ridicule upon themselves. As for the jist of what he said though, it's dead-on.

Coale makes less because she coaches the women's team at OU. They don't make money. The men's team does historically... albeit barely lately, I'm sure. I'll bet Pat Summit makes more than Coach Caple.

the_ouskull

crawfish
6/28/2007, 07:08 PM
You pay what the market demands. It demands more for men's coaches.

the_ouskull
6/28/2007, 07:45 PM
Yep.

the_ouskull

TheHumanAlphabet
6/29/2007, 05:12 AM
Mens basketball is considered a revenue producing sport whereas women's may not be considered a revenue producing sport.

Also, men coaches make more at the D-1 level and to get a good coach one has to pay the national average or above.

If a bigtime school made a run at Coale, I think she would be given a healthy raise which is what happened today, she was given a $250K raise and she now makes something in the neighborhood of $800K. Which isn't bad for a women's coach.

This arguement is not really valid any longer. Per Thursday's announcement (if I read correctly), Sherri Coale and OU has fully endowed every Sooner Women's Bball scholly through donations to the University. This would mean that it just got a lot less expensive to run the womens bball program. So the women's program may not be fully revenue, but it just got a lot closer and easier to that to happen. And, that kind of fund-raising should at least equal contract compared to Capel IMO.

spaceman
6/30/2007, 01:07 PM
For the same reason female models make more money than male models? They generate more revenue. That's why Pat Summitt gets paid the big bucks.

SoonerInKCMO
6/30/2007, 06:06 PM
Don't apologize. If people don't want to take the time to spell things correctly, and to put a premium on doing so when they allow their words and thoughts to appear in a public forum, then they are bringing the ridicule upon themselves. As for the jist of what he said though, it's dead-on.

Coale makes less because she coaches the women's team at OU. They don't make money. The men's team does historically... albeit barely lately, I'm sure. I'll bet Pat Summit makes more than Coach Caple.

the_ouskull

Heh. ;)

sanantoniosooner
6/30/2007, 06:15 PM
Heh. ;)
Don't ;) . If people don't want to take the time to spell things correctly, and to put a premium on doing so when they allow their words and thoughts to appear in a public forum, then they are bringing the Heh upon themselves. As for the jist of what he said though, it's dead-on.

the_ouskull
6/30/2007, 06:41 PM
Am I the only person that read the title of this thread? Oh well...

the_ouskull

John Kochtoston
6/30/2007, 08:12 PM
This may have been what 'bone was driving at, but Coale now makes more $$$ than Capel.

http://sportsline.com/general/story/10239055

"Coale, whose squad has reached the round of 16 in the NCAA Tournament the past two seasons behind reigning national player of the year Courtney Paris, received the largest bump. Coale had made $550,000 annually in guaranteed money, but now will be paid $800,000 a year. On Sunday, she will be eligible to receive $250,000 in deferred compensation and she could receive another $200,000 in deferred compensation if she remains at Oklahoma through June 2011."

"Capel, who went 16-15 during his first season as the Sooners' men's coach, now will make $750,000 annually, up $100,000. His contract now extends to June 2012."

the_ouskull
6/30/2007, 08:34 PM
She's in upwards of a million a year if you count her shoe and modeling contracts.

Okay, I made that last part up, but you f*ckers don't need to sit here and act like you wouldn't buy a calendar too.

the_ouskull

stoopified
7/25/2007, 10:30 AM
She's in upwards of a million a year if you count her shoe and modeling contracts.

Okay, I made that last part up, but you f*ckers don't need to sit here and act like you wouldn't buy a calendar too.

the_ouskull
True dat.

Petro-Sooner
7/25/2007, 12:32 PM
I blame the lousy oil companies. :shakes fist:

7/27/2007, 04:03 AM
This thread is worthless without hot S.C. photos...

Oh, and this discussion is about someone who brings home more than half-a mill...

LO-freaking L

birddog
7/27/2007, 09:42 PM

the_ouskull
it's capel.

OU Adonis
7/28/2007, 01:18 AM
It has nothing to do with her being female and everything to do with her coaching females.

If she was coaching a mens team and they were winning like her womens team was, she would be making a lot more.

The bigger question is, why do we not see women coaches in mens basketball?

badger
7/30/2007, 01:52 PM
I believe the average difference between women's basketball coaching salaries and men's basketball coaching salaries is about $30,000 in I-A.

The difference is much larger, of course, at larger programs.

As for why women don't coach more men's teams, there was once an offer to Pat Summitt to help the men's Tennessee program. She turned it down.:D