PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather coach the Sooners if you had a choice?

CatfishSooner
6/27/2007, 04:42 PM
Stoops right now or Switzer in his prime?? :pop:

The_Red_Patriot
6/27/2007, 04:54 PM
Stoops. The game is much more difficult today than it was in the 70's, 80's.

Especailly defense.

Stoops all the way.

CatfishSooner
6/27/2007, 04:58 PM
You don't think Switz could handle it now?

oumartin
6/27/2007, 05:07 PM
stoops of 2000-01

IndianJack
6/27/2007, 05:11 PM
Both coaches have/had the knack for surrounding themselves with a staff that knows/knew Xs and Os and are/were able to scout great talent. King probably comes across better in the living room, but was it always as genuine as he made it seem? (King was probably reared in more religious traditions than any other college coach in history) I think both have mastered the "we'll win championships with you or without you" philosophy.

The nod has to go to Stoops in a current NCAA football setting b/c King's laisezz-fairre approach trying to co-exist in today's college football world of fast action and faster headlines, could produce predicaments causing Buster Rymes to blush.

zeke
6/27/2007, 05:32 PM
Stoops

Octavian
6/27/2007, 05:35 PM
co-head coach possible?

Switzer in charge of recruiting and Stoops as the gameday coach?

That's my vote.

insuranceman_22
6/27/2007, 07:07 PM
Amen Octavian..that's a nice combo!

XingTheRubicon
6/27/2007, 07:27 PM
As a college football HC, I'll take the King.

I like Defense.

Switz in 190 games, the D gave up 30+ points 10 times
Stoops in 105 games, the D gave up 30+ points 19 times

Also the King was something like 18-1 in games decided by 3 points or less. The lone loss a 17-14 defeat at Neb in '78 when Billy fumbled on the 3.

Nothing against Stoops, he's the best coach in the country this decade, but the King is the King for a reason.

Big Red Ron
6/27/2007, 07:30 PM

I like Defense.

Also the King was something like 18-1 in games decided by 3 points or less. The lone loss a 17-14 defeat at Neb in '78 when Billy fumbled on the 3.

Nothing against Stoops, he's the best coach in the country this decade, but the King is the King for a reason.The magic is strong with you. :D

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 07:46 PM
that 18-1 figure is pretty sick, if true. i've heard the stat like that....before. but 18-1? it's like that, but i'm not sure it's quite that good.

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 07:58 PM
Ok. i went at counted them up at soonerstats.com. 18-1 is correct, 4 ties.

Barry's record against Osborne, Bowden, Paterno, Royal, Hayes, and Schembechler is something like 21-6.

word to your mother.

goingoneight
6/27/2007, 08:00 PM
It's impossible to guage who is truly better. Today's offenses can score in mere seconds, yesterday's teams could stack up a lot better without scholly limits and so on and so on.

I'd be thrilled to have the choice, honestly. The game has changed so much, you just kind of have to respect what has been accomplished for what it is. Stoops has a number of accomplishments so far off the top of my head, including a MNC in his second year as HC. Switzer had been building us up for quite a while before he took over and won in '74. Stoops' team was about as bad or worse than last year's version of Colorado when he arrived. Stoops hasn't been shut out so far, despite all of the people who criticize his offense. And he's still at 83% winning I believe.

Can you really say anythign bad about Stoops after last season's stretch of nastiness and he still won the CCG and went 12-2??? And how do you argue against Switzer's consistency?

Push.

Big Red Ron
6/27/2007, 08:03 PM
Barry's record against Osborne, Bowden, Paterno, Royal, Hayes, and Schembechler is something like 21-6.

Or as I refer to them, "Barrah's B!tches":D

budbarrybob
6/27/2007, 08:04 PM
stoops with leach's offensive schemata

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 08:16 PM
Or as I refer to them, "Barrah's B!tches":D

i'm not going to count em out, but there is a tie against Royal. so, 21-6-1 or something. it's close to that.

OU-HSV
6/27/2007, 08:18 PM
This should be a poll!

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 08:25 PM
This should be a poll!

not really. just let it go.

IndianJack
6/27/2007, 08:28 PM
If Stoops could be convinced and be so bold as to wear the "BEAT TEXAS" cap in the Cotton Bowl, then he would have attained that mythical-type character status that King was able to transcend coaching with.

oumartin
6/27/2007, 09:07 PM
Stoops is great and I don't want him to go but overall I say Switzer was head and shoulders better as I see it now. five years ago I might have said different. Like I said I would love to have the Bob Stoops of 2000-03 era. Before Snyder got the better of him in the big 12 champ. Since then there seems to be a little something missing.

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 09:24 PM
Stoops is great and I don't want him to go but overall I say Switzer was head and shoulders better as I see it now. five years ago I might have said different. Like I said I would love to have the Bob Stoops of 2000-03 era. Before Snyder got the better of him in the big 12 champ. Since then there seems to be a little something missing.

so losing to Okie State was OK in 01 and 02?

'cmon? we overachieved last year to win the conference.

oumartin
6/27/2007, 09:36 PM
Not sayin' Bob didn't lose some he should have won before then or didn't do a good job. Heck Barry had a four year run in the early 80's that were not great. I just don't see the same Bob Stoops walkin' the sideline. Just personal observation

AzianSooner
6/27/2007, 10:11 PM
Nick Saban.

Even though that guy is all about money. But he is a better coach than Stoops according to Stoops himself.

oumartin
6/27/2007, 10:16 PM
Saban is a wuss. Stoops was being kind.

OU-HSV
6/27/2007, 10:25 PM
not really. just let it go.
done

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 10:27 PM
Nick Saban.

Even though that guy is all about money. But he is a better coach than Stoops according to Stoops himself.

i don't buy that based on one game played in Louisiana. LSU scores zero points on offense in the second half. Chuck hands the ball off to KeJuan out of the I and we go for two to win.

there's no outcoaching there. we give them 7 on our first drive of the second half. Jason throws it to their blitzing end for an untouched TD. that's the difference in the game. and still, we have it first and ten on their twelve. we pound the ball we win. i don't know if we deserve the MNC after it, but we go for two to win the game.

but the media and popular opinion says we got blown out.

goingoneight
6/27/2007, 10:38 PM
Nick Saban is about to be exposed for his mediocrity at 'Bama. The guy did good at LSU in 2003, what else does his record boast? Has he ever endured even half of what happened to Stoops in 2006? A 7-point win means nothing. Les Miles beat us twice by a margin of 13 points combined. We responded by beating him twice and resting our starters in one of the games so we didn't score 70 or 80 points on him.

Mack Brown has beaten us, is he better than Stoops? Not a chance. You win some, you lose some.

IndianJack
6/27/2007, 10:57 PM
How in the world did Saban's coon arse ;) enter the conversation?

insuranceman_22
6/27/2007, 11:19 PM
so losing to Okie State was OK in 01 and 02?

'cmon? we overachieved last year to win the conference.

I think I'd call it "got lucky." The Whorens faded badly down the stretch (which I did enjoy) and we didn't.

IndianJack
6/27/2007, 11:32 PM
I hesitate to offer up any criticism of King b/c its probably a violation of the alien and sedition act and could get my tongue cut out, but here goes (kind of). I know that King says that if Aikman doesn't go down against Miami, that we probably don't win the '85 National Championship. And he's probably right. At least not if they would have continued to run the 'bone with him at QB. I know you can't tell for sure that an 18-19 year old from Henryetta is going to be a Hall of Famer, but, damnit, if Dupree's goofy *** doesn't make King so gunshy about restructuring an offensive strategy to fit the skills of a real special player, then we may have been transitioning to a more pro-style attack to combat the athletic defenses that clearly were getting the better of our running the bone. (see: Canes. I mean that's all there was that kept us from back to back to back NCs, and I know I was still pretty young, but it seems that Aikman and Testaverde were headed for a real shoot it out duel in that '85 game before J. Brown does a Theissman on Aikman's leg) If Aikman finishes the game and makes it his coming out party at Miami's expense, then who knows? I like to think they would have been un-f'n-stoppable, and we would being going into this year's showdown with the Canes with a slightly different overall series record. Speculation? Yes. 20/20 hindsight? You bet. Just some critical thoughts on the best. Long live the King.

KantoSooner
6/28/2007, 12:42 AM
I hesitate to offer up any criticism of King b/c its probably a violation of the alien and sedition act and could get my tongue cut out, but here goes (kind of). I know that King says that if Aikman doesn't go down against Miami, that we probably don't win the '85 National Championship. And he's probably right. At least not if they would have continued to run the 'bone with him at QB. I know you can't tell for sure that an 18-19 year old from Henryetta is going to be a Hall of Famer, but, damnit, if Dupree's goofy *** doesn't make King so gunshy about restructuring an offensive strategy to fit the skills of a real special player, then we may have been transitioning to a more pro-style attack to combat the athletic defenses that clearly were getting the better of our running the bone. (see: Canes. I mean that's all there was that kept us from back to back to back NCs, and I know I was still pretty young, but it seems that Aikman and Testaverde were headed for a real shoot it out duel in that '85 game before J. Brown does a Theissman on Aikman's leg) If Aikman finishes the game and makes it his coming out party at Miami's expense, then who knows? I like to think they would have been un-f'n-stoppable, and we would being going into this year's showdown with the Canes with a slightly different overall series record. Speculation? Yes. 20/20 hindsight? You bet. Just some critical thoughts on the best. Long live the King.

I was at the game in '85 and what I saw was Aikman and Testaverde toe to toe. I don't have the stats in front of me and I am not going to look them up, but I doubt if there was any significant gap between them. Aikman doesn't go down, Switzer engineers a change to a pro-offense. What happened, happened and Switzer did the best he could with what he had after Aikman left. And it turned out more than okay. So, props to him for flexibility and for seeing the writing on the wall regarding offenses. He was not dated, he was not old, he was not one dimensional.
All that being said, I've got nothing bad to say about Stoops. On a given day: whichever one of them demands the job. Fire in the belly is the only thing that separates them in terms of winning.

stoopified
6/28/2007, 07:18 AM

I like Defense.

Nothing against Stoops, he's the best coach in the country this decade, but the King is the King for a reason.
While I appreciate your points,it should be noted that the Sooners face tougher competition under Stoops than under Switzer.The OOC schedule is tougher year in and year out.The conference schedule is tougher with the Big 12 than the old Big 8.A&M and TT are definitely teams to reckon with that Swizer did not have to deal with as well as K-Stae being at their pinnacle under Snyder while Stoops has been here.

Not saying you are wrong because I don't think there is a WRONG answer to this question,just saying there is more to consider than the numbers.As for me I think I would take either without hesitation but would give a slight edge to Stoops.In todays game you CANNOT be one-dimensional on offense.

Should also add that parity in talent due to lower scholly numbers is also an issue that Switzer didn't have to deal with to the same degree.

sammmo
6/28/2007, 10:39 AM
I'm glad Stoops got the program back on track. Putting 60 plus on ut twice was sweet. I hope he sticks around and figures out a way to end the really bad losses. The meltdowns have been really bad.

Other than the Arkansas Orange Bowl, the Kings teams had more heart and spirit. I don't remember him getting out coached and being arrogant about it.

Partial Qualifier
6/28/2007, 10:43 AM
Great thread. Switzer in his prime, ftw

MojoRisen
6/28/2007, 10:46 AM
Switzer had the keys to victory - then and would adjust to now. Please 3 tittles

NS5
6/28/2007, 12:08 PM
Bob Stoops and second choice Bob Stoops. If the above two are not available
then I'd choose Bob Stoops. That should cover it. Nothing against Barry Switzer,
but that was a different era.

Beat saxet and Beat imaim !!!!

Big Red Ron
6/28/2007, 12:17 PM
Bob Stoops and second choice Bob Stoops. If the above two are not available
then I'd choose Bob Stoops. That should cover it. Nothing against Barry Switzer,
but that was a different era.

Beat saxet and Beat imaim !!!!Barry pwn3d ut so hard that it didn't ever occure to me that they were a real rivalry until I was about 17 and Gibbs took over.

Octavian
6/28/2007, 12:28 PM
Switzer was the best recruiter in the country for a couple decades. A lot of his critics like to point out that he "inherited" Chuck's talent for his first two NCs.

What they don't say is that Switzer was the head recruiter for the Fairbanks regime that stockpiled all that talent. He was also in charge of Texas recruiting under Broyles in the early '60s...that produced the best era in Razorback football history and their only (however shaky) national title in 1964.

He also had the onions to convince Fairbanks to switch to the Bone in the middle of the 1970 season....and then run it as OC like a basketball fast break on grass. We ran the Bone differently than Bama or Texas. Theirs was a ball control, beat-you-down Wishbone. Ours was a track meet on the gridiron and that was Switzer's imprint.

He was also a pioneer in the integration of college football.

But the points stoopified brought up are good ones...there were circumstantial advantages Switzer had over Stoops with the landscape of the game at the time.

I personally think Bob could be the next Bear Bryant if he stayed 20+ years in Norman. He's only 47 (I think). That's a long way off and I doubt it'll happen, but the Stoops legacy could be unrivaled...if that's what he wants.

SteelClip49
6/28/2007, 12:43 PM
Nick Saban lead LSU to a win over a 50 percent OU squad and it was decided within the last 3 minutes of the game.

Bob Stoops over SataNick Saban.

Granted Saban coached in the SEC and it is a tough conference but he had a loss in his championship season. Stoops went undefeated in his championship season which included wins over #10 Texas, #2 KSU and #1 NU all in a row. That is tougher than any SEC schedule. Also, Stoops and Oklahoma is the only program to hold an opposing team to no touchdowns or field goals in a BCS Title Game. FSU was the #1 scoring offense that year and the defending national champion.

Seamus
6/28/2007, 01:27 PM
He also had the onions to convince Fairbanks to switch to the Bone in the middle of the 1970 season....and then run it as OC like a basketball fast break on grass. We ran the Bone differently than Bama or Texas. Theirs was a ball control, beat-you-down Wishbone. Ours was a track meet on the gridiron and that was Switzer's imprint.

Agreed. Always loved our version of the bone, but I was down with Major Ogilvie. That dude was bad arse ...

https://www.ua.edu/academic/museums/bryant/Shopping/images/Photos/OgilvieMajor.jpg

Petro-Sooner
6/28/2007, 02:26 PM
Chuck Long. Cause according to OKC media he was the greatest coach to ever come to OU. :rolleyes: :D

Tear Down This Wall
6/28/2007, 03:25 PM
This isn't even close...Switzer. If feel sorry for the posters who didn't grow up in the Switzer Era. Born in 1969, I was right in the thick of the Switzer Era. It was the greatest.

Switzer may have occassionally...and I mean very occassionally lost a game. But, he never had anyone hang 55 or 45 points on his teams. He also had tons of bona fide assistants on both sides of the ball. Part of Gary Gibbs downfall was firing secondary coach Bobby Proctor, a long-time Switzer guy.

Mike Shanahan started his coaching career as a graduate assistant under the Switz. Ditto Gary Gibbs, who was hands down the best defensive coordinator OU has ever had. Other Switzer assistants - Jim Dickey, Galen Hall, Mack Brown, Jim Donnan.

In Switzer first eight years, the Sooners won five Big 8 titles and shared the other three. He won back-to-back national titles, and played for another. The Sooners only lost four conference games during the Switz's first eight season. Bob's eight seasons have produced 10 conference losses - one shy of Barry 16-year conference loss total of 11.

Bob is a great coach, but he's no Switzer...yet! And, he won't be if he doesn't bite the bullet and make some staff changes sometime.

Big Red Ron
6/28/2007, 03:28 PM
This isn't even close...Switzer. If feel sorry for the posters who didn't grow up in the Switzer Era. Born in 1969, I was right in the thick of the Switzer Era. It was the greatest.

Switzer may have occassionally...and I mean very occassionally lost a game. But, he never had anyone hang 55 or 45 points on his teams. He also had tons of bona fide assistants on both sides of the ball. Part of Gary Gibbs downfall was firing secondary coach Bobby Proctor, a long-time Switzer guy.

Mike Shanahan started his coaching career as a graduate assistant under the Switz. Ditto Gary Gibbs, who was hands down the best defensive coordinator OU has ever had. Other Switzer assistants - Jim Dickey, Galen Hall, Mack Brown, Jim Donnan.

In Switzer first eight years, the Sooners won five Big 8 titles and shared the other three. He won back-to-back national titles, and played for another. The Sooners only lost four conference games during the Switz's first eight season. Bob's eight seasons have produced 10 conference losses - one shy of Barry 16-year conference loss total of 11.

Bob is a great coach, but he's no Switzer...yet! And, he won't be if he doesn't bite the bullet and make some staff changes sometime.We have a winna!

Soonerus
6/28/2007, 03:55 PM
I'll take Switzer until Stoops wins his third MNC, then I will re-visit the issue....

HTown77095
6/28/2007, 04:26 PM
I like 'em both. I like Stoops squeaky clean image, even our rivals respect him.
But Barry never let us get embarrassed...if we got beat, its because we got beat by the better team, not because we didn't "show up" or quit trying.

Tear Down This Wall
6/29/2007, 04:25 PM
I can remember only three embarassing losses under Switzer:

The 1978 Orange Bowl: Arkansas 31, OU 6
Fumble, fumble, fumble...I mean from the get go. I win here would have been Switzer's third national title in five years.

The 1981 OU-Texas game: Texas 34, OU 14
We led this game 14-3 at halftime. People, the bottom just fell out of this one in quarters three and four. It was sad to watch...especially since I was 12 years old. It saddened me.

The 1982 West Virginia game: West Virginia 41, OU 27
We led this game 14-0 in the first quarter. Jeff Hostetler then woke up and spent the rest of the day lighting us up. WVU also had a linebacker named Darryl Talley that later played for the Buffalo Bills in all their Super Bowls.

TripleOption14
6/29/2007, 08:28 PM
Given the talent level at OU; I think Mike Stoops would do some SERIOUS damage w/ the way he is/coaches. That sort of attitude is just infectious!! If it's not Bob you might as well keep in the family. :D

elderlysooner
6/29/2007, 10:32 PM
I still like Bud.

Piware
6/30/2007, 12:00 AM
I still like Bud.

When I was a little kid, Bud and his teams were considered superhuman. He was brilliant and his teams were tough as nails. Bob has done what Gibbs tried to do with image, no excuses - Gibbs just didn't have the horsepower to pull it off when it came to coaching.

Barry will always be Numero Uno in my book. From his humble beginnings to his "spit in your eye" bravado, he is one of a kind. When God made that one he broke the mold.

dog-knee
6/30/2007, 11:17 AM
Well, if I didn't spend a good portion of the 80s defending the off-field bulls*** to non-Sooner co-workers, my vote would be for Switzer in a walk. Don't get me wrong, I love Stoops, love the way he deals with the team, the media, the legends, and with screw-up players. It's just that, so far, the force seems stronger with Switzer throughout his reign. In short, more magic was displayed from '72 to '88, than so far in Stoops' tenure.

Switzer wins 3 to 1.

zeke
6/30/2007, 11:31 AM
Having an OU player in handcuffs on Sports Ill. is a bit embarrasing. Barry smoking cigs on the sidelines IS embarrasing. Players shooting Uzi's.
Wasnt there something with Barry & one of the assistant coaches wife?...thats embarrasing.

I did grow up during Barry Switzer's era and I'm proud of what he did by winning games.
But this day & time no question Bob Stoops is who gets my vote.

budbarrybob
6/30/2007, 01:47 PM
I'm glad Stoops got the program back on track. Putting 60 plus on ut twice was sweet. I hope he sticks around and figures out a way to end the really bad losses. The meltdowns have been really bad.

Other than the Arkansas Orange Bowl, the Kings teams had more heart and spirit. I don't remember him getting out coached and being arrogant about it.

Its not easy to compare Bob and Barry. The conference is top to bottom harder now than it was then. Additionally, the recruiting is much a much different ballgame now than it was with Barry (proposition 48? players).

limey_sooner
6/30/2007, 04:48 PM
Switzer, Switzer, and Switzer. I'm very biased. Grew up an OU fan in Omaha during Switzer's reign. The oh so fond memories of going back to school after thanksgiving and asking my friends if they watched the game. Good times, good times.

101sooner
6/30/2007, 05:19 PM
Switzer.

Bob could change my opinion over the next few years. If he keeps his winning % close to Bud/Barry's and wins a NC or two, then I would probably pick Bob because of scholarship limits/parity.

But damn, Sooner Magic and Barry.

I researched this and posted it back in'05.

LINK (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38893&highlight=Switzer)

It's the off-season, so.....

From 1974-1980 Barry Switzer was 21-2-1 vs. teams coached by:

Johnny Majors
Darryl Royal
Bo Schembechler
Tom Osborne
Bobby Bowden
Woody Hayes
Lou Holtz
Bill Walsh
Hayden Frye
Jimmy Johnson
Chuck Fairbanks

That's just crazy.

WA. Sooner
7/1/2007, 02:25 AM
Switzer!

Spray
7/1/2007, 10:16 AM
Switzer.

And I will remind everyone that since Saban's days at Mich. St. he has only had one season with less than 3 losses.

AzianSooner
7/1/2007, 10:32 AM
you know, If BOB want to change the staff, it is easy. But does he be sure that other assistant coach want to work with him due to his act to other coaches?

There is always Yin and Yang in any matter.

Blues1
7/2/2007, 01:25 AM
Just for Fun...!!! -- I like to see Barry coach this season with all the backfield talent we have.....!!!

the_edge
7/2/2007, 02:00 AM
Like elderlysooner, I'm going to totally dissent and say Bud Wilkinson.

I'm only 30, so I'm not giving into the age bias. The man, for all intents and purposes, created Oklahoma Football.

Yeah, he might have gotten burned out and lost his edge during the last few years that he was the coach, but from 1948 to 1958, he went 107-8-2. That's ridiculous regardless of weak competition. The man lost 8 freakin' games in 11 years.

Barry and Bob are magnificent coaches, but they wouldn't have had the opportunity to win championships at Oklahoma if it hadn't been for the dominance established by Bud.

Bud, in his prime, didn't lose.

goingoneight
7/2/2007, 09:07 PM
Once again, one would be stupid to chose one over the other "definitely." If I was told I could have Bud, Barry or Bob governed solely by a rock, paper, scissors game, I'd jump on that oppurtunity and roll with it.
Stoops has set an example that will help us years from now. Regardless of how the lifeless aggies and whorns view him, he has run the program with class and by the book.

1. In Bob's defense: As much as my family loves The King, not a one of us would have expected him to cut a player like Stoops has done several times simply for just being boneheads like Bomar and Rawls.

On the versus Texas argument:
Barry never played a National Champion Texas team, and never faced a Vince Young. As much as I despise the guy (VY), I have to admit he's a once-a-lifetime guy for the Hook 'em s. Did I mention VY's showing against us in 2003 and 2004? Barry never faced a team like USC's 2004 effort, either. Again, as much as I despise them, they could do anything to anyone, IMHO.

2. In Barry's defense: He stressed never giving up, and you never saw us get beat 45-12 or 55-19 on National TV. This was evident by his coachign changes throughout the years, adn the fact that Oklahoma was never truly down and out of a game under him. Sure, we lost some embarassing games *COUGH!!! KANSAS!!! COUGH!!!* but we were never finished at halftime.

3. In Bud's defense: This one's easy. The game is lightyears different these days. Players didn't have the dynamic stars like Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders to study hours on end in a film room. Studying the greats is a major reason why players get better over time. The game has changed, and Bud was smart enough that if thrown into todays game... at HIS prime, it wouldn't take long to establish a winner. Racism is not much of an issue anymore, either. It is very little, but people didn't look at guys like AD back in the 50s and 60's the same way they do today. The common growls among fans were "hope this *you-know-what* doesn't screw things up" and the vicious stereotypes about black students. For that much, I'm glad society has grown up.

The answer is circumstantial. On the bas side: Bud could get burnt out fast, Barry could be on endless probation, or Stoops could have silly-looking defenses for decades.

OTOH, Bud could set unbelievable records, Barry would never give up, and Bob could continue to win with class.

OU Adonis
7/2/2007, 09:47 PM
Guys,

I think people tend to put too much stock in “that was a different era”. It’s like people don’t adapt to current trends or something. Who knows how Barry would be in the 2000’s. He might be running the option or he might be throwing 50 times a game, but he would be a winner.

It’s clearly Barry over Bob by a wide margin in my opinion. Let’s give Bob the same tenure and then we can revisit these opinions.

If I recall, barry didn’t lose his first 29 games or so. I think he had one tie. He was well into his 3rd season until he lost his first game as head coach.

Big Red Ron
7/2/2007, 10:51 PM
Barry never faced a team like USC's 2004 effort, either. Again, as much as I despise them, they could do anything to anyone, IMHO.

I disagree. Barry faced, in some ways, better teams in his day. "dr. tom" would have about six MNCs if not for Barry Switzer. We beat the best team "joepa" ever put together. There was also a few Miami teams that would have lit that usc team.

Barry didn't always win, that's my only gripe. Bob has lost more, in nine seasons, that he was supposed to win, than Barry did ever.

Don't get me wrong, I love Bob but dang, he is no Barry Switzer or Bud, right now.

rhombic21
7/2/2007, 10:52 PM
Wow, this is a tough question. I think both have their strengths and weaknesses.

One thing that nobody really seems to be giving Bob enough credit for is program discipline. I don't think you can give Barry all the credit for what he did during the good years, and then absolve him from the fallout that resulted when he lost control of the team at the end. His coaching style was a big part of why we had those kinds of discipline problems. I'm not saying it was all Barry's fault, but he does at least deserve some of the blame. To me, that's a major deal. The 1990s never happen if it had been Bob instead of Barry at the helm.

Also, I don't think it's really fair to compare the two unless you take into account some of the serious limitations that Stoops has to deal with. Scholarship limitations, the rise of the mass media and the NFL which has resulted in players transfering when they don't play immediately, the increasing difficulty of keeping together a coaching staff, and a super-vigilant NCAA are all things that Barry didn't really have to deal with (at least for most of his career). It's a lot harder to maintain success and to win championships in today's environment, because the margin for error is a lot smaller now than it was when Barry was coaching.

That being said, it's hard to argue with the King's success in big games. His teams played with a confidence and swagger, and a poise under pressure that was simply incredible. And people don't give him nearly enough credit for his gameday adjustments. If you go back and watch some of those games, Barry made some really good Xs and Os adjustments that put players in position to make great plays. It wasn't just all about having better talent. Of course, conversely you could argue that there is a lot more parity in coaching quality today now too, so it's harder to out-scheme people now than it was 30 years ago.

I think you also have to give Bob some credit for what he inherited. OU was TERRIBLE before he got here. Switzer, on the other hand, inherited a National Championship quality team from day one. So I think you have to take that into consideration when you compare their win-loss records. To be fair to Bob, you really need to throw '99 out the window. If you do that, then Bob has won 11+ games every year except one, has won 4 conference championsips (and in Barry's era where Texas wasn't in the conference and where there was no conference title game, would have won 7), has gone 5-2 against Texas, and has played in 3 NC games.

I would take either. I guess I would go with Bob over the long haul, because of the discipline factor, and Barry in the short-term because of his success in big-games.

goingoneight
7/2/2007, 11:22 PM
^^^ Major good point there, rhombic. Texass is the main reason we haven't won eight consectutive BIG 12 Championships. If they were in the SEC or SWC, the RRS would remain important, but OU would have been Conference Kings from day one in the Stoops era.

1999 7-5 (losses to Notre Dame, Texas, Colorado, Tx Tech, Bowl loss): take Texass out of the BIG 12, and OU goes to play for the CCG. Call me crazy, but methinks if Josh Heupel can win a MNC, he can win the 1999 CCG.
2000 13-0: 'nuff said
2001 11-2: Minus Texass... OU plays Colorado for CCG.
2002 11-2: OU = BIG 12 Champions.
2003 12-2: I give K-State this one, but a 5th consecutive South title eventually phases out the fluke south titleist dominance.
2004 12-1: OU = BIG 12 Champions
2005 8-4: OU down, but still the second-best team in the conference. Second to, guess who... TEXAS!!! :mad: Once again, take out Texas, we're BIG 12 Champions.
2006 12-2: OU = BIG 12 Champions.

Football Jim
7/3/2007, 03:03 PM
My first choice would be Switzer. To think he could not change with the times and field a modern team is rediculous. He was a great coach, and great coaches are the ones who can "go with the flow" when the situation calls for it.
Switzer was a good recruiter, a good practice coach and a good game day coach, but what Switzer did best were these two things, he could get into his players heads and inspire them to great deeds and he could get into the opposing coaches head about a week before the game and take them out of their rhythm.

My second choice would be Bud, again, being a great coach I believe if he had the opportunity, he could field a great team with modern schemes.
Bud was tough and got the most out of each and every player. He was a winner.

My third choice would be Stoops, not that he is a second level coach, I believe that each of these three are first rate legends. I simply feel that Stoops doesn't quite inspire the Sooner magic from his players as much as Barry and his teams are not mentally as tough as Bud's.
Stoops will be a hall of fame coach and will go down as one of the all time greats. He will be in good company with Barry and Bud.

CatfishSooner
7/3/2007, 05:00 PM
What about bringing Switz back as an assistant???????

Big Red Ron
7/3/2007, 08:15 PM
What about bringing Switz back as an assistant???????Recruiting coordinator/Director of Football operations?

OU Adonis
7/3/2007, 08:28 PM
Recruiting coordinator/Director of Football operations?

I don't think he would go for it.

I think I heard an interview one time where the reason he didn't want to go back to college football was because he didn't want to put in the time on recruiting.

And I don't think recruiting coordinators actually get to talk to recruits. They aren't in home recruiters. I could be totally off base on this though.

Big Red Ron
7/3/2007, 08:30 PM
I don't think he would go for it.

I think I heard an interview one time where the reason he didn't want to go back to college football was because he didn't want to put in the time on recruiting.

And I don't think recruiting coordinators actually get to talk to recruits. They aren't in home recruiters. I could be totally off base on this though.Oh I know but we can always dream, right? ;)

CatfishSooner
7/4/2007, 06:54 PM
It would be cool...btw how old is Switzer?

goingoneight
7/4/2007, 07:06 PM
King said he wasn't healthy enough to fly all over the country for the stuff 35-50 year old guys do these days. And whoever brings up JoePa or Bowden should know those guys are more sideline icons than they are coaches nowadays. King recently had some surgeries and stuff, so the story is legit. And people in their 60's typically don't like dealing with the Rhett Bomars of this world at 18 years of age. It's a stressful job, and the game has changed so much in every aspect that it would require a lot of time for him to catch up to it all.

To me, it's not a question of who's better. We're a fine program with a lot of luck to have landed three guys who are as special as Bud, Barry and Bob. Bob has had some really bad breaks in his day so far, and is still leading the nation in wins for the 2000s. King ran the winningest show of the 70s and Bud ran the winningest show of the 50s. If 2010 rolls around, and we still have only 7 MNCs, but are still the top program (winning %) in the country, I'll still be happy. How many other teams can truly say they own three decades of a sport? The Yankees?