PDA

View Full Version : Golf in OKC/Edmond area

SoonerAcesUp
6/27/2007, 02:45 PM
If you had to choose one public golf course out of the area to play which one would it be? I've been looking at Jimmie Austin, Rose Creek, and Coffee Creek. Any other suggestions? I've never played any courses in the area so I can only go off of the ones I've heard of.

Petro-Sooner
6/27/2007, 02:47 PM
Cant beat OUs course.

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 02:50 PM
a question, not an answer: is Belmar fully private now? it's got some good holes...and was pretty cool inna day before they started building the houses.

if i had to choose one: for me it would be the OU course since i grew up playing the old Perry Maxwell layouts and learned the golf swing from longtime pro Robert O. Smith....and i'm from Norman and not Edmond. i would not care to live in Edmond.

SoonerAcesUp
6/27/2007, 02:51 PM
Cant beat OUs course.

So it's worth the $51? I've heard it's pretty good but I've never seen any pictures or anything. Is it hard to get a tee time there?

Petro-Sooner
6/27/2007, 03:04 PM
I would say so. Man, $51? I'm going to miss student discounts. Shouldnt be hard at all to get a tee time. It is hosting some US junior amatuer tourny in a few years. That should tell ya something about it.

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 03:27 PM
i don't know what's worth 51$ anymore (with a cart?), I always prefer to walk. but i do know they have some reduced rate evening green fees as the days get longer. might look into that.

this was before the renovation, as a junior player if you passed a rules and etiquette exam (which many players really effin need) you could play the OU course for like 2 bucks an 18 hole green fee in the summers. those were different times.

Petro-Sooner
6/27/2007, 03:44 PM
(which many players really effin need)

I played some crappy Moore course last week. Three guys shirtless, with doorags, raising hell were on the faiway next to us. We watched in amasment.

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 03:56 PM
I played some crappy Moore course last week. Three guys shirtless, with doorags, raising hell were on the faiway next to us. We watched in amasment.

it't not even that hillbilly, too many Coors thing. that's gonna happen. i've seen juniors hike up their standup bags on greens. not rake the traps. etc. spike their putter in the greens. sad.

Partial Qualifier
6/27/2007, 04:11 PM

Welcome to Moore, OK ;)

My top 3 public courses in the metro:

- Jimmie Austin - a little more expensive but the course is really nice, difficult-but-fair for the intermediate handicapper, and always in good shape - you'll like it

- Kickingbird - About the same as Hefner North but quicker rounds, generally. Classic holes. I love Kickingbird

- Coffee Creek - as stated in previous threads, kindofa hokey back nine but otherwise very nice and GPS carts for teh win

Taxman71
6/27/2007, 04:17 PM

Sounds like Broadmoor. Boots and wranglers are normal golf attire there. On the good side, I plan to take my boys there when they start playing because (a) there are water hazards on all but 2 or 3 holes (learn to hit irons) and (b) I won't have to worry about it if they take a crap in the fairway or leave a divot on a green.....everyone else does.

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 04:20 PM
i've always liked Kickingbird, myself. but, again, i haven't played it in 15 years and today's players want more video game looks. good cheeseburgers back inna day.

Petro-Sooner
6/27/2007, 04:21 PM
It was Broadmoore. For the first time ever I started a round 2 over after five. It all went down hill after that. 9s 10s. UGH.

Jimminy Crimson
6/27/2007, 04:44 PM
I'd pick Rose Creek just because I play there a lot and am familiar with it...

Others I play frequently: Coffee Creek, Kickingbird, & Silverhorn

Taxman71
6/27/2007, 05:03 PM
It was Broadmoore. For the first time ever I started a round 2 over after five. It all went down hill after that. 9s 10s. UGH.

Don't feel bad, I am usually 2 over after 1 hole. Of course, I drink 1 beer for every shot over par which takes the sting out of it.

r5TPsooner
6/27/2007, 05:07 PM
Rose Creek. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Condescending Sooner
6/27/2007, 05:14 PM
Rose Creek. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

I would play Coffee Creek, their fairways are always lush. Kickingbird is nice also, but it is always very crowded. I haven't played Rose Creek, but drive by it a lot and it just looks ugly, links style with no trees.

soonersponge
6/27/2007, 06:29 PM
Public Course Golf sucks.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/28/2007, 06:48 AM
I don't play that much (read: at all), but the charity tournament I work every summer is always at Coffee Creek. The golfers really like it and they give us a good deal on greens fees.

And this year Jimminy is playing!

OU4LIFE
6/28/2007, 06:55 AM
Rose Creek is one of the better courses that aren't private in that area you are looking. Plus it's a Troon course, so they treat you pretty good with free bag tags, yardage books, etc. It's classic golf, as it was meant to be played. If you don't like this, then you don't like real golf.

Can't really go wrong at Jimmy Austin, it's a nice place, and I just really enjoy Maxwell designs.

Coffee Creek...feh. If you haven't played it, it worth going....but as a daily play kind of place I wouldn't like it, too many tricked up holes.

I haven't played Kickingbird since they rebuilt it a few years ago, but it was nice before.

Another decent course in that area is Fairfax on Sooner road and Covell. It has a couple of tricked up holes too, but overall it's a nice layout.....and that 648 yard par 5 from the back is a lotta golf hole.

King Crimson
6/28/2007, 07:12 AM
coffee creek looks really tight (as in narrow off the tee, not as in phat) from the road. never played there.

Jimmie Austin is only about half Maxwell these days. but, it's for the better, i guess. the shot values on 1,2,3,4 and the approach on nine and most of the back nine are mostly Perry's work. the last 5-6 holes are mostly intact. 18 is a better hole now than the original Maxwell that went up the hill west towards the road/parking lot and the water tower...since it brings the creek into play on the right on the approach. but, otherwise, the closing holes outside the green complexes and bunkering are pretty much as they were.

Newbomb Turk
6/28/2007, 07:17 AM
Played Coffee Creek last Saturday - it was in pretty good shape.

It was a tournament and we had a 9:45 tee time, range balls provided. We went up to get our cart and range balls at 9:13. The dude there says "we can only call your group 30 minutes before your tee time - you guys will have to wait a few minutes". Two minutes later, he calls our name over the loudspeaker - all four of us were standing right in front of him. I felt like Gaylord Focker in Meet The Parents.

That's one thing I hate about Edmond golf - all of the courses think they are Oak Tree.

I'd go to Jimmie Austin.

Jimminy Crimson
6/28/2007, 11:04 AM
Another decent course in that area is Fairfax on Sooner road and Covell. It has a couple of tricked up holes too, but overall it's a nice layout.....and that 648 yard par 5 from the back is a lotta golf hole.

I always forget (to mention & play) Fairfax. Nice course with a decent layout.

Yeah, that #9 is a beast of a hole!

Partial Qualifier
6/28/2007, 11:15 AM
Coffee Creek...feh. If you haven't played it, it worth going....but as a daily play kind of place I wouldn't like it, too many tricked up holes.

I haven't played Kickingbird since they rebuilt it a few years ago, but it was nice before.

Totally agree on Coffee Creek; great every now & then but not a cool "home course". Re-designing 10, 12 & 18 would make a huge difference.

I'm still trying to figure out why they made the changes at Kickingbird. I can't say it was a big improvement; in fact they took some of the character away on 3 and 9 and umm 17 (the one that had the split-level green) .. I think it was 17. Still, it's a great muni

picasso
6/28/2007, 02:37 PM
while we're at it, I was coming back from Anadarko on highway 9 last week and noticed a few gated golf courses near Blanchard. also some new developments.

what gives? good golf out there?

Petro-Sooner
6/28/2007, 02:39 PM
Its the soil. Good rich soil. Lots of nutrients.

picasso
6/28/2007, 02:56 PM
Its the soil. Good rich soil. Lots of nutrients.
I got the minerals.

Turd_Ferguson
6/28/2007, 03:00 PM
while we're at it, I was coming back from Anadarko on highway 9 last week and noticed a few gated golf courses near Blanchard. also some new developments.

what gives? good golf out there?

Winter Creek GC is betwixt Blanchard and Chickasha. I havn't played it. Heard it's really nice and it's also semi-private.

picasso
6/28/2007, 03:04 PM
semi or bi?

Jimminy Crimson
6/28/2007, 05:04 PM
What's the other one, Indian Ridge or sumpin?

Soonerus
6/28/2007, 09:48 PM
Belmar is totally private...

TMcGee86
6/28/2007, 10:01 PM
$51 bucks and you guys are complaining?

Lucky barstids. Move to Houston, where they consider $60 a "cheap" round of golf.

If I can find a round for $40 bucks I consider it the bargin of the century. Yet another reason to not live in Houston.

Jimminy Crimson
6/29/2007, 02:39 AM
Belmar is totally private...

I love this course....

Sooner-jackman
6/29/2007, 09:05 AM
Jimmie Austin-if you want the feel of a PGA course

r5TPsooner
6/29/2007, 11:06 AM
I played Surrey Hills with the wife on Sunday because I'm looking for a club to join and it's ten minutes up the Turnpike. It's an OK course, but for 2k per year, I want grass on all of the greens.

Nice course to play with beginners and to work on your own game, but I wouldn't take anyone there that I was wanting to impress. I certainly wouldn't pay $2000 a year to be a member.

Partial Qualifier
6/29/2007, 11:16 AM
There have been times in the past 20 years that Surrey was decent but most years it's ridiculous they charge people to play it. I wouldn't pay $100 for a year's membership to that goat trail. As a beginner's course, Brookside puts that place to shame if that tells you anything. They just don't have the resources to provide regular course maintenance and probably never will. Too bad because the layout isn't terrible.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/29/2007, 11:18 AM
You're cranky, old man.

Newbomb Turk
6/29/2007, 11:43 AM
There have been times in the past 20 years that Surrey was decent but most years it's ridiculous they charge people to play it. I wouldn't pay $100 for a year's membership to that goat trail.

We refer to it as Sorry Hills.

King Crimson
6/29/2007, 12:35 PM
i played Surrey a couple times in high school tournaments. i hated it. too much ridiculous OB. kind of a silly golf course, IMO.

Petro-Sooner
6/29/2007, 12:39 PM
Is it #2 at Surrey that it dog legs right and then back to the left? Its a goofy design.

Mjcpr
6/29/2007, 12:40 PM
I played Surrey Hills with the wife on Sunday because I'm looking for a club to join and it's ten minutes up the Turnpike. It's an OK course, but for 2k per year, I want grass on all of the greens.

Nice course to play with beginners and to work on your own game, but I wouldn't take anyone there that I was wanting to impress. I certainly wouldn't pay $2000 a year to be a member.

I wouldn't pay $100 for a year's membership to that goat trail.

I think they're playing the British Open there in a couple of years.

Newbomb Turk
6/29/2007, 01:49 PM
Is it #2 at Surrey that it dog legs right and then back to the left? Its a goofy design.

That would be #3.

#2 is a par 3.

Newbomb Turk
6/29/2007, 01:50 PM
I think they're playing the British Open there in a couple of years.

pfft. The British could only hope for a course that nice.

r5TPsooner
6/29/2007, 08:14 PM
Btw, I'm playing in a fund raiser for UCP at a course in Purcell called Brent Bruehl Memorial Golf Course in July. Anyone played it? Is it a decent track? It's for a good cause so it really doesn't matter.

Newbomb Turk
6/30/2007, 08:57 AM
Btw, I'm playing in a fund raiser for UCP at a course in Purcell called Brent Bruehl Memorial Golf Course in July. Anyone played it? Is it a decent track? It's for a good cause so it really doesn't matter.

I played at a course in Purcell several years ago - don't know the name of it but I don't imagine there are very many different courses there. Anyway it was right off I-35. It was just OK. There were some decent holes but the thing I remember is some real crappy fairways - bunch of crabgrass. Not a nice clubhouse either.