PDA

View Full Version : greatest movie of all time

rufnek05
6/26/2007, 09:13 PM
according to the radio while listening to during work today, some movie dudes voted "Citizen Kane" the best movie ever made.

let the disagrements be swift and amusing.

oklaclarinet
6/26/2007, 09:23 PM
That would be the American Film Institute, who released the list last Wednesday in a special on CBS. This was the tenth anniversary list, so many films moved around, but Citizen Kane, which was number one on the original list, remained first on the new list.

rufnek05
6/26/2007, 09:25 PM
i don't have time to watch much tv, and when i do i don't watch cbs.

soonerhubs
6/26/2007, 09:36 PM
Citizen Kane... was kinda very BORING!

royalfan5
6/26/2007, 09:37 PM
There is no justice until Smokey and the Bandit is number 1.

illinisooner
6/26/2007, 09:52 PM
I had to watch Citizen Kane in Intro to FVS sophomore year and it was horrible! To give you an idea about how bad the class was, it was my 2nd favorite movie we watched (out of about 15, IIRC). Anytime the AFI comes out with a list, it's populated by a majority of movies that came out before 1970. The panel is just a bunch of old people who say things like "things just aren't the same anymore" or whatever. When they came out with the top comedy list, this was clearly evident, as most of the comedies were ones that people born between the World Wars love.

Soonerus
6/26/2007, 09:53 PM
The Legend of Boggy Creek...

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 09:54 PM
http://my.opera.com/Bozinsek/homes/blog/mikehenry54.jpg

Put the evidence in the car

SoonerStormchaser
6/26/2007, 09:55 PM
Dances With Wolves

rufnek05
6/26/2007, 10:02 PM
Dances With Wolves
you and my dad would get along great. he has both versions on vhs and the directors cut on dvd.

goingoneight
6/26/2007, 10:04 PM
CBS = See BS

rufnek05
6/26/2007, 10:06 PM
i think "any which way you can"

right turn clyde

oumartin
6/26/2007, 10:18 PM
Dumb and Dumber! No contest

OU Adonis
6/26/2007, 10:25 PM
Saving Private Ryan

OCUDad
6/26/2007, 11:02 PM
Witness For The Prosecution.

The original. Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power.

SteelClip49
6/26/2007, 11:05 PM
The Shawshank Redemption

(#2 out of the top 250 on imdb.com)

Soonerus
6/26/2007, 11:07 PM
Swashank and Dumb are great picks !!!

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 11:22 PM
Forest Gump.

And that's all I have to say about that.

rufnek05
6/26/2007, 11:23 PM
space balls.

Mongo
6/26/2007, 11:25 PM
any movie done by oumartin

oumartin
6/26/2007, 11:41 PM
ah shucks! ;)
I think my still work is far better than My motion pictures.

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2007, 12:25 AM
Pretty hard to argue seriously against Citizen Kane.

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2007, 12:26 AM
I had to watch Citizen Kane in Intro to FVS sophomore year and it was horrible! To give you an idea about how bad the class was, it was my 2nd favorite movie we watched (out of about 15, IIRC). Anytime the AFI comes out with a list, it's populated by a majority of movies that came out before 1970. The panel is just a bunch of old people who say things like "things just aren't the same anymore" or whatever. When they came out with the top comedy list, this was clearly evident, as most of the comedies were ones that people born between the World Wars love.

Is it possible that the reason you didn't like the films in your Film Appreciation class is that you have terrible taste? I'm just throwin' that out there, because I remember my FVS 1113 class and the movies they showed in there were pretty uniformly great or at least furthered the filmmaking art.

rufnek05
6/27/2007, 12:30 AM
. The panel is just a bunch of old people who say things like "things just aren't the same anymore" or whatever.

so your sayin its the same people that listen to "malt shop memories"?

PrideTrombone
6/27/2007, 12:38 AM
The Usual Suspects

NormanPride
6/27/2007, 05:26 AM
Serious question - what was their reasioning behind Citizen Kane being #1? I know it's deep and full of symbolism and great cinematography, but there are quite a few other movies out there that are like that.

dolemitesooner
6/27/2007, 05:28 AM
Dolemite's List

1. The Godfather 2
2. Citizen Kane
3. The godfather 1
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Shawshank
6. Rear window
7. The empire Strikes Back
8. The Departed
9. Memento
10. It's a wonderful life

Honerable Mentions
Munich
the usasal suspects

dolemitesooner
6/27/2007, 05:30 AM
Serious question - what was their reasioning behind Citizen Kane being #1? I know it's deep and full of symbolism and great cinematography, but there are quite a few other movies out there that are like that.
Name 1. Citzen Kane was the first of is kinda in 100 ways. Orson wells is the reason movies are the way they are today

illinisooner
6/27/2007, 05:35 AM
Is it possible that the reason you didn't like the films in your Film Appreciation class is that you have terrible taste? I'm just throwin' that out there, because I remember my FVS 1113 class and the movies they showed in there were pretty uniformly great or at least furthered the filmmaking art.

Most of them were some combination of black and white, foreign, silent, or extremely boring. There are many different teachers that teach FVS, so if you ask 3 different people how they liked the class, you'd probably get 3 different answers. One of my friends took it, same semester but different teacher, and it was his favorite class. For the record, my favorite movie in the class was "Some Like It Hot", although "Singing in the Rain" wasn't bad either. I realize Citizen Kane had alot of great cinematography and all that...but movies are entertainment, and I was not very entertained.

soonerinabilene
6/27/2007, 05:36 AM
I know its new, but the departed is the best movie i have ever seen

dolemitesooner
6/27/2007, 05:36 AM
Most of them were some combination of black and white, foreign, silent, or extremely boring. There are many different teachers that teach FVS, so if you ask 3 different people how they liked the class, you'd probably get 3 different answers. One of my friends took it, same semester but different teacher, and it was his favorite class. For the record, my favorite movie in the class was "Some Like It Hot", although "Singing in the Rain" wasn't bad either. I realize Citizen Kane had alot of great cinematography and all that...but movies are entertainment, and I was not very entertained.
What the plot twist is awesome

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 05:39 AM
Dolemite's List

Munich

that movie was awful. typical Spielberg melodrama and faux moral dilemma. Munich is filled with so many implausibly stupid scenes i watched it twice. OK, we are in someone's apartment we are trying to blow up. so, i explain to Eric Bana for *the first time* how it is the plastic explosives are going to work while we are in the apartment illegally and trying to work fast. Oh wait, that's not explosives guy talking to Eric Bana....it's Stevie Spielberg talking to the audience...telling you what's happening! one of the most blatant examples of crappy expository dialogue i've EVAR seen. just terrible writing.

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 05:41 AM
Most of them were some combination of black and white, foreign, silent, or extremely boring.

this is an interesting set of categories for outright dismissal.

Taxman71
6/27/2007, 05:44 AM
Hollywood Knights.

And True Romance > Pulp Fiction....both are in the top 10 though.

Hamhock
6/27/2007, 07:53 AM
Porky's

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2007, 03:18 PM

And none of them came out before Citizen Kane. It's recognized as a great film precisely because it was a HUGE leap forward in film making.

silverwheels
6/27/2007, 03:20 PM
I love Citizen Kane. Now, since there aren't any explosions or bewbs, a lot of people don't find it interesting, but I can watch it and admire the story line and new (at the time) film making techniques.

dolemitesooner
6/27/2007, 03:20 PM
that movie was awful. typical Spielberg melodrama and faux moral dilemma. Munich is filled with so many implausibly stupid scenes i watched it twice. OK, we are in someone's apartment we are trying to blow up. so, i explain to Eric Bana for *the first time* how it is the plastic explosives are going to work while we are in the apartment illegally and trying to work fast. Oh wait, that's not explosives guy talking to Eric Bana....it's Stevie Spielberg talking to the audience...telling you what's happening! one of the most blatant examples of crappy expository dialogue i've EVAR seen. just terrible writing.
Yeah your wrong..and may gawd have mercy on your soul

Harry Beanbag
6/27/2007, 03:21 PM
And none of them came out before Citizen Kane. It's recognized as a great film precisely because it was a HUGE leap forward in film making.

Citizen Kane is Gigli compared to Gladiator.

:pop:

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2007, 03:28 PM
I'd throw a list up there like Doleo, but every time someone asks me to name what I think the best movies of all time are I always end up drawing a blank. There's tons of movies out there that I really enjoy simply because of the associations I make with my own life on them-I watched them with a girl I really liked, or my friends and I make constant allusions to the movies. Most of them aren't particularly grand examples of the film maker's art, though. Putting a gun to my head to name what I thought the most important films I've seen are, I'd probably go with:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Potemkin
3. Wizard of Oz
4. Casablanca
5. Star Wars

As for my list of "Favorite" movies:

1. The Big Lebowski
2. The Departed
3. Swingers
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. True Romance

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2007, 03:28 PM
Citizen Kane is Gigli compared to Gladiator.

:pop:

:D

Ridley Scott isn't fit to suckle at Orson Welles' massive teat.

dolemitesooner
6/27/2007, 03:29 PM
I'd throw a list up there like Doleo, but every time someone asks me to name what I think the best movies of all time are I always end up drawing a blank. There's tons of movies out there that I really enjoy simply because of the associations I make with my own life on them-I watched them with a girl I really liked, or my friends and I make constant allusions to the movies. Most of them aren't particularly grand examples of the film maker's art, though. Putting a gun to my head to name what I thought the most important films I've seen are, I'd probably go with:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Potemkin
3. Wizard of Oz
4. Casablanca
5. Star Wars

As for my list of "Favorite" movies:

1. The Big Lebowski
2. The Departed
3. Swingers
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. True Romance
Calmer than you are dude...calmer than you are

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2007, 03:31 PM
Calmer than you are dude...calmer than you are

This UNCHECKED agression WILL NOT STAND DUDE! LINE in the SAND!

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2007, 03:34 PM
You know, I've never seen any of the Godfather movies?

Every time they come on I've got something else going on. Now I'm just waiting for it to come out on one of the high definition formats 'cause I want the best possible viewing experience when I finally see them for the first time.

Beef
6/27/2007, 03:37 PM
Roadhouse

End. Of. Discussion.

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2007, 03:37 PM
Roadhouse

End. Of. Discussion.

I've ****ed prettier men than you in prison.

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 03:39 PM
You know, I've never seen any of the Godfather movies?

Every time they come on I've got something else going on. Now I'm just waiting for it to come out on one of the high definition formats 'cause I want the best possible viewing experience when I finally see them for the first time.

it's all about the technology, it's substance. content is the afterthought or product. maybe Marshall McLuhan was right when he punned the medium is the message.

a very misunderstood statement, by the way.

personally, we all know this question is really: the american movie i liked the best, in color, and was most entertaining i saw in a theatre in the US.

Sooner in Tampa
6/27/2007, 03:40 PM
Days of Thunder beyotches!!!!

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2007, 03:42 PM
it's all about the technology, it's substance. content is the afterthought or product. maybe Marshall McLuhan was right when he punned the medium is the message.

a very misunderstood statement, by the way.

Sorry, but macroblocking and aliasing are distracting for me when I'm watching a movie-particularly when I watch it for the first time. Nothing as yet approaches the theater experience-so if I get a chance to watch the Godfather in the theater, I'll jump all over it. Until that time, I'll wait until I can watch the film as close to the director's vision as possible with the state of the art.

Aren't you the guy who was complaining a few weeks back about how crappy iTunes music sounded?

yermom
6/27/2007, 03:48 PM
lots of love for True Romance... i love that flick

i'm with SW on Citizen Kane, that's a great film. i'm not going to just throw it in the DVD player all the time or anything, but it's a good flick and without it there would be no Usual Suspects or Fight Club or whatever else

Pulp Fiction tops my personal list, but i can't argue with Citizen Kane

King Crimson
6/27/2007, 03:51 PM
Sorry, but macroblocking and aliasing are distracting for me when I'm watching a movie-particularly when I watch it for the first time. Nothing as yet approaches the theater experience-so if I get a chance to watch the Godfather in the theater, I'll jump all over it. Until that time, I'll wait until I can watch the film as close to the director's vision as possible with the state of the art.

Aren't you the guy who was complaining a few weeks back about how crappy iTunes music sounded?

sort of. my complaint about iTunes is that the compression rate you pay for is far inferior to what you can get illegally. why pay? it has nothing to do with content itself.

i'd rather listen to my Who Quadraphenia tape that sounds like it came out of an alarm clock speaker than some **** that's digital that sucks.

i can appreciate the commitment to the director's vision....and the ascetism.

i love Kurosawa and Tarkovsky and i've been lucky to see *some of those* film on a bigger screen than my old 19".....and the difference is real. like i say and you say, to some degree, the medium is the message.

greatest movie ever is a dumb question. if i could see Teshigahara's Rikyu/Princess Goh double dip. i might vote that. or Sajayit Ray? Godard? as they were meant to see.

the Usual Suspects. good movie. ever?

movie i liked the best. more like it.

ousoonerfan
8/3/2007, 08:32 PM
So myself and a bottle of scotch sat down and watched "12 Angry Men" on Netflix just now. My vote goes to this movie. Others mentioned all have merit, but my god, this movie just seems to get better with age. The last time I watched it was several years ago. The characters in this movie are just as relevant now as they were in 1957. The entire movie takes place in three scenes. The courtroom. The jury room. The steps outside of the courthouse. Not to mention black and white. This movie pwns all others IMHO.

Thanks for listening.

I'm going to get another scotch and watch Shrek 2 with the little ones!!!:D

usmc-sooner
8/3/2007, 08:54 PM
Lonesome Dove #1
the cast alone was impressive as Hell Robert Duvall (greatest Actor of all time) Tommy Lee Jones, Diane Lane, Angelica Huston, nutty ole Danny Glover

I like a lot of old movies I'm not a fan of Citizen Kane

Old Movies I like
Gone With the Wind
Wizard of Oz
No Time For Sgts
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Cool Hand Luke
Caine Mutiny
King Kong
HUD
Hombre
The Longest Yard

StoopTroup
8/3/2007, 09:13 PM
Perfume.

I just watched it this morning. :D

http://www.indiewire.com/people/Perfume.jpg

Chuck Bao
8/3/2007, 10:00 PM
Rocky Horror Picture Show is the best film ever made. Most innovative for its time. Best music. Best cult following (besides the Wizard of Oz, of course).

So my list would be:

1. Rocky Horror
2. Wizard of Oz
3. Star Wars
4. Dr. Zhivago
5 Lion in Winter

KC//CRIMSON
8/3/2007, 10:16 PM
In no order

Godfather II
Empire Strikes Back
True Romance