PDA

View Full Version : One way to get all our RBs in the game

stoopified
6/26/2007, 06:58 AM
at the same time occurred to me the other day.Because both UPS(Brown) and AP are straight ahead classic tailbacks I was thinking they could both also be used at FB.Anyhow my scenario involves having AP and UPS lined up in the I formation with DM7 (Murray) in the slot and M&M(Madu) at wideout.Not saying this could be an every down situation but an occassional cahnge of pace thing like the NINJA was.

This woule require Bob to change his FB philosophy since Bob doesn't like to use the FB as a runner.That is something I agree with Switzer on vs. Stoops,I like having and using runners at FB.With all those running threats on the field at the same time it should make for a little indecesion on the part of the defense.Often times that can create a big play.Just a thought anyhow.

Ash
6/26/2007, 08:07 AM
The Maryland I!

soonerlaw
6/26/2007, 09:38 AM
We could also score 12 TD's per game and make sure they all get carries. :)

Soonermagik
6/26/2007, 09:59 AM
at the same time occurred to me the other day.Because both UPS(Brown) and AP are straight ahead classic tailbacks I was thinking they could both also be used at FB.Anyhow my scenario involves having AP and UPS lined up in the I formation with DM7 (Murray) in the slot and M&M(Madu) at wideout.Not saying this could be an every down situation but an occassional cahnge of pace thing like the NINJA was.

This woule require Bob to change his FB philosophy since Bob doesn't like to use the FB as a runner.That is something I agree with Switzer on vs. Stoops,I like having and using runners at FB.With all those running threats on the field at the same time it should make for a little indecesion on the part of the defense.Often times that can create a big play.Just a thought anyhow.

Are you dating all those guys with those cute nicknames you are giving? them ;)

stoopified
6/26/2007, 10:11 AM
Are you dating all those guys with those cute nicknames you are giving? them ;)
AP and UPS are commonly used nicknames for for Patrick,Brown.I heard M&M on a call-in show,DM & is my own creation for a possible star.As for dating them first of all my wife would object.and second I don't go thst way.Bob often calls his players by nicknames,does this mean he is dating them?

CatfishSooner
6/26/2007, 12:54 PM
You're leaving out Gute!

Doged
6/26/2007, 01:05 PM
Bring back the wishbone formation! :D

sooner518
6/26/2007, 02:22 PM
You're leaving out Gute!
Gute at OT!!!!

The_Red_Patriot
6/26/2007, 03:00 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bring back the wishbone formation! :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jimminy Crimson
6/26/2007, 03:09 PM
AP and UPS are commonly used nicknames for for Patrick,Brown.I heard M&M on a call-in show,DM & is my own creation for a possible star.As for dating them first of all my wife would object.and second I don't go thst way.Bob often calls his players by nicknames,does this mean he is dating them?

I thought UPS sounded familiar... I should have copyrighted that! :texan:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1667676&postcount=16

TexasLidig8r
6/26/2007, 03:12 PM
Stop with the flippin' nicknames.... Nicknames have become the most overused, trite, contrived thing in sports (other than uniforms getting consistently uglier and more obnoxious). There are too many K-rods, A-rods, U-rods, Rod-on-this in sports today!

How about passing a rule that NO ONE is allowed to have a nickname until they have earned at least TWO unanimous, All-American awards in any sport, or have won at least two championships in any sport or have been named All-Pro in their sport at least twice.

SoonerStormchaser
6/26/2007, 03:14 PM
Shut up Lid-rod!

Jimminy Crimson
6/26/2007, 03:44 PM
How about passing a rule that NO ONE is allowed to have a nickname until they have earned at least TWO unanimous, All-American awards in any sport, or have won at least two championships in any sport or have been named All-Pro in their sport at least twice.

Does that include your boy 'VY'? :pop:

fadada1
6/26/2007, 03:48 PM
seriously, line up in the bone somewhere in the second quarter against the horns. they'd "**** themselves and forget who they were for an hour"... at least mack would.

fwsooner22
6/26/2007, 03:51 PM
Isn't every single person in here going by a nickname.

The post was pointless but entertaining.

For the record I hate nicknames too.

TexasLidig8r hates nicknames.....what the heck is TexasLidig8r

There....my post was pointless and not entertaining.

Ash
6/26/2007, 04:35 PM
Lid's just skeered of the beatdown our backfield is going to deliver...

that, and he was cranky cuz it wasn't happy hour yet.

insuranceman_22
6/26/2007, 05:26 PM
Use DeMarco M. as the QB in the bone, have Allen P. and Mosis M. at halfback with Chris B. at fullback. Stick J.J. Finley & B. Eldridge on one side & run the unbalanced line, option attack.

Next play come out with the Ninja w/ Madu, Finley & Eldridge on one side and have Murray and Patrick in the backfield (shotgun). That would make a helluva bubble screen or zone-read.......

insuranceman_22
6/26/2007, 05:27 PM
Dammit - how many more days must we wait........

goingoneight
6/26/2007, 07:29 PM
I laugh everytime I hear people say bring the bone back. No offense, I just wonder how many people really think it will happen. Not that IM22 believes it or anything, but I have actually heard some people say that over the radio before like they really thought it was going to happen. :D

Boomerfreakinsooner
6/26/2007, 07:40 PM
I laugh everytime I hear people say bring the bone back. No offense, I just wonder how many people really think it will happen. Not that IM22 believes it or anything, but I have actually heard some people say that over the radio before like they really thought it was going to happen. :D

I don't think anyone wants to bring it back on a fulltime basis - but it sure is a cool wrinkle to throw into a game on occasion.

KantoSooner
6/26/2007, 07:54 PM
like, say, from their 5 against Texas? just to make the point regarding who they're playing.

Sooner74
6/26/2007, 11:32 PM
Eh? I like the fact of using a real fullback that can block for our QB and be athletic enough to get 4 yards. We will use a one back system and split murray out.

KantoSooner
6/26/2007, 11:43 PM
you're undoubtedly right. But there's still something that would warm my heart in using the bone to score against Texas.

Doged
6/27/2007, 12:14 AM
In all seriousness there's no reason not to show the wishbone in a short/mid yardage situation. No one says you have to run a pitch option out of it. It's well suited for a team with a stable of starting runners, a stand-out tight end and an All America candidate wide out. Just show the formation, threaten the run (or even hand it off if the matchup is there), release one back up and in, release the TE and send the wide out on a crossing pattern. QB rolls off the play action and has a full list of check downs.

It'd be great fun for us as fans, but not something I expect we'll ever see. Of course, it'd be even more fun to see a pitch option out of it, but I'd think that's an even more remote possibility.

KantoSooner
6/27/2007, 01:51 AM
Or do exactly as you say, with a run threat QB like Nichol and then a simple handoff to AP up the middle. Whoops, I thought you guys were going to run around the corner.

insuranceman_22
6/27/2007, 11:37 PM
That's why we ran the "Option" out of the bone, you never knew where the ball was going!

I don't look for it to re-emerge in the OU arsenal, but I would like to see it to give the defense a little more to think about and dammit because the King ran it & I like the King!

KantoSooner
6/28/2007, 12:45 AM
I was just thinking of a way we could do it with a qb who was young.

Ash
6/28/2007, 09:40 AM
It ain't the 'bone, but a more likely option in today's offenses would be a split back set with wideouts.

It would still give you lots of options..multiple run/pass options and could easily accomodate having two different kinds of RBs in the backfield.

Doged
6/28/2007, 01:36 PM
Since we're designing a new play book (yeah, I'm having way too much fun with this thread) let's go with Ash's 2 wide out, 2 back set... MK split on the strong side, Gresham on the weak, Finley at TE on the strong side. Motion Gresham into a 'bone set at the FB spot, set for 1 second and snap the ball. QB fakes to Gresham, turns, fakes to Murray and rolls to the strong side with AP leading. Gresham goes down and out to the weak side (if he doesn't get mired up at the line), Murray releases his block and moves into the flat, crossing with Finley who also released his block, Kelly goes down and out to the strong side. QB has half the width of the field to make his option read with AP out front as either a pitch target, lead blocker or to pick up a blitzer.

A variation would have Murray in place of Gresham motioning into the weak side HB spot on the 'bone, AP lined up in the FB spot and Brown leading on the strong side.

LB's have to stay home because of the run threat and to pick up coverage in the flat, DE's are taken out of play by the roll out. If the DB's bite on the play action or blitz, there's an uncovered receiver. If the DB's pick up the receivers then the QB has the run/pitch option available with a little open space to run to. If they read the play and have a LB and safety in position to make the play with a DE in pursuit then someone has to beat their man, with Kelly downfield being the most likely. If nothing else is available, QB keeper still nets a couple yards.

Ash
6/28/2007, 01:49 PM
Murray could be set in motion from the backfield to become a third receiver.

Lots of options could be audibled at the line from this set as well.

Piware
6/28/2007, 08:59 PM
Stop with the flippin' nicknames.... Nicknames have become the most overused, trite, contrived thing in sports (other than uniforms getting consistently uglier and more obnoxious). There are too many K-rods, A-rods, U-rods, Rod-on-this in sports today!

Nimrod comes to mind - but I agree with the no cutesy name thingy.

XingTheRubicon
6/28/2007, 09:43 PM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9779/wishbone3ot3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)