PDA

View Full Version : You Go Germany!

Scott D
6/26/2007, 05:34 AM
Ve haff decided zat Scientology iz a scham!

Germany bans Cruise film from military sites

Berlin (ANTARA News) - Germany has barred the makers of a movie about a plot to kill Adolf Hitler from filming at German military sites because its star Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, the Defence Ministry said on Monday.

Cruise, also one of the film's producers, is a member of the Church of Scientology which the German government does not recognise as a church. Berlin says it masquerades as a religion to make money, a charge Scientology leaders reject.

The decision drew a sharp response from Cruise's film producing partner, Paula Wagner, chief executive of United Artists Entertainment, who said Cruise's "personal beliefs have absolutely no bearing on the movie's plot, themes or content."

The U.S. actor will portray Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, leader of the unsuccessful attempt to assassinate the Nazi dictator in July 1944 with a bomb hidden in a briefcase.

Defence Ministry spokesman Harald Kammerbauer said the film makers "will not be allowed to film at German military sites if Count Stauffenberg is played by Tom Cruise, who has publicly professed to being a member of the Scientology cult."

"In general, the Bundeswehr (German military) has a special interest in the serious and authentic portrayal of the events of July 20, 1944 and Stauffenberg's person," Kammerbauer told Reuters.

Stauffenberg had been deeply opposed to the Nazis' treatment of the Jews and planted a briefcase bomb under a table near Hitler in his "Wolf's Lair" headquarters on July 20, 1944. The bomb went off but only wounded the Fuehrer.

The film, slated for a 2008 release, will be directed by Bryan Singer and co-star Kenneth Branagh. It is called "Valkyrie" after Operation Valkyrie, the plot's codename.

In a statement, Wagner said von Stauffenberg is characterized as a "heroic and principled figure."

"We believe it (the film) will go a long way toward reminding the world that even within the ranks of the German military, there was real resistance to the Nazi regime," she said.

The main site of interest would be the "Bendlerblock" memorial inside the Defence Ministry complex in Berlin, where Stauffenberg and his co-conspirators hatched the plot and where he and his closest comrades were executed when it failed.

Kammerbauer said the ministry had not yet received official filming requests from the producers of "Valkyrie."

While Wagner did not cite requests for specific locations, she did add: "We believe Germany is the only place we can truly do the story justice." (*)

stoopified
6/26/2007, 07:31 AM
I agree with Paula.He is an actor,he ain't running for office.Scientologists although I don't agree with their viewpoints that is no reason to ban the making of a MOVIE.

Paperclip
6/26/2007, 08:22 AM
Bryan Singer has already directed Apt Pupil. I guess he likes the subject matter of Nazis.

Xstnlsooner
6/26/2007, 08:29 AM
Deutschland ueber alles!

OUDoc
6/26/2007, 08:30 AM
They would let David Hasselhoff do it. :)

KABOOKIE
6/26/2007, 08:35 AM
Ze Holocaust was unt Vabewrkashen by ze Amerikans.

RFH Shakes
6/26/2007, 09:13 AM
They would let David Hasselhoff do it. :)
Ze Germans love ze Hasselhoff

Okla-homey
6/26/2007, 09:43 AM
Mind you, it's just one small step to banning Baptists.

You'd think those Krauts would have learned their lesson about repressing religions by 1945.

bastages.

picasso
6/26/2007, 09:54 AM
it seems to me that the Count Stauffenberg is considered some sort of hero and I would dare say that since the movie is being filmed in Germany they could have sort of say in who is playing the part if said actor is a certified looney.

Okieflyer
6/26/2007, 09:56 AM
Mind you, it's just one small step to banning Baptists.

You'd think those Krauts would have learned their lesson about repressing religions by 1945.

bastages.

Maybe, but I think their point was that it wasn't a religion. I would have to agree. I don't have to pay any money to be Baptist. Of course banning it is another argument.

mdklatt
6/26/2007, 10:02 AM
Maybe, but I think their point was that it wasn't a religion. I would have to agree. I don't have to pay any money to be Baptist.

Isn't tithing commanded by the Bible?

Okieflyer
6/26/2007, 10:30 AM
Isn't tithing commanded by the Bible?

Yes, but whether you do or not, does not, and should not, determine church membership, salvation or help given you by the church.

mdklatt
6/26/2007, 10:58 AM
Yes, but whether you do or not, does not, and should not, determine church membership, salvation or help given you by the church.

There is an expectation of payment to be a Baptist, if not an outright requirment. In that regard, it's not so different than Scientology. I don't think charging for membership should automatically discount something as a religion. All the arguments being made against Scientology could be made against most religions. It's pretty ridiculous to me that Scientology helps you remove the thetans from your body so you can commune with L Ron Hubbard or whatever the hell they believe, but I also think most of the stuff in the Bible is pretty incredulous, too. Are Scientolgists really hurting anybody but themselves? If not, let them believe whatever bat**** crazy nonsense they want.

As for Germany, I don't see why they can't separate Tom Cruise the actor from Tom Cruise the Scientologist. It's not like he evangelizes in his movies.

Frozen Sooner
6/26/2007, 11:20 AM
That's just a really bad precedent. Scientology is nuts, but dude's just making a movie.

sooner_born_1960
6/26/2007, 11:22 AM
It's their country. They can do whatever they want.

M
6/26/2007, 11:27 AM
Defence Ministry spokesman Harald Kammerbauer, you're glib! ;)

Frozen Sooner
6/26/2007, 11:27 AM
It's their country. They can do whatever they want.

Yeah, I think we've all figured out where that road leads in der Vaterland.

OUDoc
6/26/2007, 11:39 AM
They still pay Tom Cruise to make movies? Who sees them?

soonerinabilene
6/26/2007, 12:10 PM
Seriously guys, this is Germanys way of paying the world back for all their stupidity in the first half of the 20th century. THEY ARE DELAYING A TOM CRUISE MOVIE FROM BEING MADE!!! I , for one, am starting to forgive them now.;)

sooner_born_1960
6/26/2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I think we've all figured out where that road leads in der Vaterland.
So your suggesting that this is equal to a crime against humanity?

picasso
6/26/2007, 12:41 PM
There is an expectation of payment to be a Baptist, if not an outright requirment. In that regard, it's not so different than Scientology. I don't think charging for membership should automatically discount something as a religion. All the arguments being made against Scientology could be made against most religions.
I'd dare say that giving 10% of your check to the church in the name of God's work is quite different than being moved up in the church brass according to how much money you give.

Okieflyer
6/26/2007, 12:47 PM
There is an expectation of payment to be a Baptist, if not an outright requirment. In that regard, it's not so different than Scientology. I don't think charging for membership should automatically discount something as a religion. All the arguments being made against Scientology could be made against most religions. It's pretty ridiculous to me that Scientology helps you remove the thetans from your body so you can commune with L Ron Hubbard or whatever the hell they believe, but I also think most of the stuff in the Bible is pretty incredulous, too. Are Scientolgists really hurting anybody but themselves? If not, let them believe whatever bat**** crazy nonsense they want.

As for Germany, I don't see why they can't separate Tom Cruise the actor from Tom Cruise the Scientologist. It's not like he evangelizes in his movies.

What are you babbling about? You hate God. We got that already, but you shouldn't throw stuff out there you know nothing about. It is not a requirement. Period, end of story. You are saved by grace through faith. Whether you give nothing or everything doesn't make a difference. Poor or rich have equal access to God. Now do some research on these Scientogist before defending or comparing.