PDA

View Full Version : any electricians or someone who knows a little about the subject?

def_lazer_fc
6/25/2007, 11:29 PM
so i just moved into a house (renting) about two months ago, and the electricity seems to go haywire every so often. it happened a couple times when we first moved in, but seemed to have stopped up until last week when we had that nasty storm roll through okc. so the problem is this: three rooms in the house will just go dead. sometimes only for a second, sometimes longer. the weird thing is that is doesn't flip the breaker either. the second odd thing is that i found one breaker that controls all three affected rooms. that struck me as odd since usually a single breaker only controls one room, or so i thought. so anyway, our landlord comes over and installs a new breaker. that was probably the simplest solution i could think of, but i had my doubts if that was it or not. i guess the landlord just wanted to try that first before calling an electrician. so it was fine for a few days following, but tonight it started doing the same thing again. my guess is that one breaker can't handle all the electronics and stuff for all these rooms. any other opinions? :confused:

Vaevictis
6/25/2007, 11:40 PM
If the breaker can't handle the load, it should be tripping, so it's probably not the breaker.

Do you know if you have three phase coming in? You might be loading one of the legs too much.

silverwheels
6/25/2007, 11:42 PM
Sounds like a loose neutral to me.

goingoneight
6/25/2007, 11:44 PM
Where is your breaker located? Sometimes the box oxidizes from condensation and the auto-breakers (switches) need replacement. That happened to go8's 'rents house last year.

picasso
6/25/2007, 11:47 PM
bend your knees when you stick your finger in the power socket.

it's all in the knees.

def_lazer_fc
6/25/2007, 11:55 PM
bend your knees when you stick your finger in the power socket.

it's all in the knees.
i don't have to. i make my cat do it. but yeah, all this stuff is above me. when the old breaker was taken out, it did look like it had been fried. the power is usually fine if im just watching tv with the ceiling fan. but if i turn on the receiver and 7.1 and my buddy is running his computer, etc., then **** goes crazy.
oh, and the breaker is in a bedroom closet btw.

picasso
6/25/2007, 11:56 PM
220?

critical_phil
6/26/2007, 12:05 AM
the power is usually fine if im just watching tv with the ceiling fan. but if i turn on the receiver and 7.1 and my buddy is running his computer, etc., then **** goes crazy.

i saw this on an episode of Green Acres one time.

can't remember what Eb did to fix it.

Vaevictis
6/26/2007, 12:12 AM
i don't have to. i make my cat do it. but yeah, all this stuff is above me. when the old breaker was taken out, it did look like it had been fried. the power is usually fine if im just watching tv with the ceiling fan. but if i turn on the receiver and 7.1 and my buddy is running his computer, etc., then **** goes crazy.
oh, and the breaker is in a bedroom closet btw.

You could go buy a cheap $20 multimeter at Radio Shack with an AC clamp style measurer; put the clamp around one of the leads going into/coming out of the breaker, load it up and see how much current it draws.

If it draws more than 15 or 20 amps, you're loading it too much.

AlbqSooner
6/26/2007, 06:38 AM
I know four things about electricity:

1. It is invisible;
2. It can kill me;
3. It does not tolerate a fool; and,
4. There are people who, for a price, will deal with it on my behalf.

Turd_Ferguson
6/26/2007, 06:39 AM
220?

...or 221, whatever it takes.

Okla-homey
6/26/2007, 06:46 AM
i saw this on an episode of Green Acres one time.

can't remember what Eb did to fix it.

He called Ralph silly. That woman could fix anything.

SoonerTerry
6/26/2007, 06:49 AM
Make the landlord get a qualified licensed electrition to come out... unless you are just wanting to buy all new electronics. Computers don't like low voltage.

BTW: got renters insurance?

Harry Beanbag
6/26/2007, 07:12 AM
You've got an electron leak.

pb4ou
6/26/2007, 07:43 AM
or the ghost just wants you out.

;)

Tiptonsooner
6/26/2007, 07:46 AM
Sounds like a loose neutral to me.

We have a winner.....

RacerX
6/26/2007, 07:48 AM
Could be a loose wire in a junction box in the attic.

OUDoc
6/26/2007, 07:52 AM
Pfetzer valve.

RedStripe
6/26/2007, 08:17 AM
Check the ball bearings

Turd_Ferguson
6/26/2007, 08:17 AM
Pfetzer valve.

Speaking of valves Doc....I have a problem with my ****/fart seperator valve. Got any advice?

C&CDean
6/26/2007, 08:25 AM
After reading some of your crapola, I'm pretty sure it's just Lucifer coming home to roost.