PDA

View Full Version : I really dont understand people sometimes...

Pages : [1] 2

Melo
6/25/2007, 07:26 PM
So, on average, I get to spend about one day out of the week visiting my bf. This last week, I spent a good little amount of time up there, and one night, him and I, plus the 12 year old brother went out to eat.

We were all in enjoyable moods, walked in, sat down, and conversated like normal. We were not being loud, offensive, anything of that nature when a man walked up to us and asked my bf to step outside, due to the shirt he was wearing. He explained that it was offensive and that he didnt want the wrong impression being given to his two daughters, one of them looked about 12 and the other maybe 14, at oldest. The shirt said 'F**k yall Im from Texas', which I understand isnt exactly proper, but it IS just a word.

Anyways. The bf told the man that he wasnt doing anything wrong, it was just a shirt, and that the other family was leaving to begin with. The man started yelling, exclaimed that he was a retired cop, the shirt was considered 'disorderly conduct' and that he was calling the police. The police showed up, made the bf turn his shirt inside out and left.

My problem is - what did that man gain from making a big deal out of a stupid shirt? Couldnt he just make an example out of the situation, tell his daughters that the word wasnt one he ever wanted to hear them say and then get over it? I mean, sure, fine, make an example out of the bf. I dont care. That man ruined OUR meal by interrupting us and calling the police. Over what? A shirt. Why involve us in things that you as parents should handle? It wasnt ANY of his business to come over and bother us. IMO, anyways.

Plus, the word is probably something the daughters have heard before.

As parents, would you have done the same thing? Was this man justified, or was he just being ridiculous?

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 07:28 PM
what did your bf gain by wearing that shirt?

he wasnt being ridiculous..........there is such a thing as having respect for those around you, you go into a family restaurant wearing that?

i would have applauded the man myself

OUHOMER
6/25/2007, 07:30 PM
hell yes, your BF was dead wrong , they should have taken him outside whipped his ***

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 07:31 PM
you know melo, its ok to have acceptable standards for your bf.......it would have been ok for you to say "i'm not going out in public with you wearing that shirt"

Melo
6/25/2007, 07:35 PM
you know melo, its ok to have acceptable standards for your bf.......it would have been ok for you to say "i'm not going out in public with you wearing that shirt"

I didnt see a problem with it to begin with. Its just a shirt. With a word on it. Maybe I am in the wrong, too. To me, words are just that, words. I mean, if it said something like 'Id like to F**k your daughter' or 'I f**king hate you'... then yea, it would be completely different, in my eyes.

soonerscuba
6/25/2007, 07:35 PM
I think shirts with phrases on them are kinda trashy to begin with. Putting the word **** on it takes it into Whiskey Tango, and Texas just deserves an *** whooping.

PrideTrombone
6/25/2007, 07:38 PM
I find it trashy, but I suppose he's got a right to wear it if that's what he's into.

Melo
6/25/2007, 07:39 PM
I think shirts with phrases on them are kinda trashy to begin with. Putting the word **** on it takes it into Whiskey Tango, and Texas just deserves an *** whooping.

Personally, I wouldnt wear the shirt myself. If he would have asked me which shirt he should wear, that would not have been my first choice.

I just dont understand WHY the man was SO offended and why he was yelling. Dont you think it would have been a little bit more intelligent to just simply state that you think it is offensive, and that it would be much more appreciated if the shirt was turned inside out? As a cop, wouldnt he know not to come over yelling and accusing? And why did he do it in front of EVERYONE? Couldnt he just have told the store owners something about it and let them deal with it? Or even call the cops after the fact and not made a big deal out of it? It was turned into a big deal BY this man. I was offended that he was even yelling and making such an ordeal out of it, though I did understand where he was coming from with it.

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 07:41 PM
maybe he was equally offended that your bf would wear that shirt in a family restaurant and thats why he reacted the way he did?

soonerscuba
6/25/2007, 07:44 PM
Personally, I wouldnt wear the shirt myself. If he would have asked me which shirt he should wear, that would not have been my first choice.

I just dont understand WHY the man was SO offended and why he was yelling. Dont you think it would have been a little bit more intelligent to just simply state that you think it is offensive, and that it would be much more appreciated if the shirt was turned inside out? As a cop, wouldnt he know not to come over yelling and accusing? And why did he do it in front of EVERYONE? Couldnt he just have told the store owners something about it and let them deal with it? Or even call the cops after the fact and not made a big deal out of it? It was turned into a big deal BY this man. I was offended that he was even yelling and making such an ordeal out of it, though I did understand where he was coming from with it.

I agree with you, but I think that your bf made himself something of a target.

Melo
6/25/2007, 07:44 PM
maybe he was equally offended that your bf would wear that shirt in a family restaurant and thats why he reacted the way he did?

Possibly. I still dont get it, though. He made such a big deal about being an 'ex cop' that I figured he would have been the first one to handle the situation with more decency.

OUHOMER
6/25/2007, 07:45 PM
I am totally surprised that you think this way Melo. It just a word, let me ask you an honest question.

Would you invite him over for a family dinner and have him wear this shirt?

Melo
6/25/2007, 07:48 PM
I am totally surprised that you think this way Melo. It just a word, let me ask you an honest quetion.

Would you invite him over for a family dinner and have him wear this shirt?

Sure, why not? Its better than the 'I want to f**k your daughter' shirt. :D

But seriously, like I said, it wouldnt be my first choice. Im not disagreeing with anyone that its not a shirt for public, just that it got more attention than I felt it deserved.

OUHOMER
6/25/2007, 07:52 PM
IMO, more folks need to stand up and say "That Is Wrong". I guess respect is getting to be a thing of the past

VeeJay
6/25/2007, 07:53 PM
IMHO, there's a measure of common decency that's inherent. Yes, it's just a word, and yes, we use variations of the word of this board. But we are adults.

If I am in a restaurant with my seven year old, and the t-shirt is at the next table, my kid is going to ask questions about what the word means. That's not the time or the place. As I navigate my way through an awkward situation, my dinner is ruined by your bf's poor taste.

What's the point of the boyfriend's actions by displaying this? Plainly, it's to shock. Do not be surprised by the retired cop confronting him. WTF did you expect? (of course pun's intended)

Wear the shirt around the house - to a bar - but not to a restaurant where there are kids or families.

A little common sense usually works.

reevie
6/25/2007, 07:54 PM
I say they're both in the wrong.

The shirt is can be inappropriate, especially in certain settings.

The offended party should have been more dignified in the way he dealt with your bf. You listed several approaches that are much more appropriate to deal with the situation than to ask someone outside.

AlbqSooner
6/25/2007, 07:58 PM
I am old. When I was in high school, guys did not even say hell or damn in front of girls. Silly? Yeah by today's standards. The shirt was IMO inappropriate for a family restaurant. The reaction was IMO inappropriate for a family restaurant or a t*tty bar.

JohnnyMack
6/25/2007, 08:00 PM
This thread amuses JohnnyMack.

I think I'm getting old or something because I agree with JK more than I do with Melo.

I'm all for allowing individuals to express themselves, but common sense must prevail in situations such as this. Five years ago I wouldn't have given the shirt a second thought, but now that I'm a responsible father an' ****, I'm starting to see things differently.

VeeJay
6/25/2007, 08:02 PM
I am old.

How old a boy are you?

And what would Roy Mercer say about this?

silverwheels
6/25/2007, 08:08 PM
I think I'm getting old or something because I agree with JK more than I do with Melo.

I'm 21 and I agree with JK on this one. I have my fair share of...controversial shirts, but if I'm going to wear them in a public setting where there could be kids around, I cover them up with a button-down or something, or I just don't wear them. The guy overreacted, but he wouldn't have had to react if the shirt would have stayed at home.

Melo
6/25/2007, 08:19 PM
IMHO, there's a measure of common decency that's inherent. Yes, it's just a word, and yes, we use variations of the word of this board. But we are adults.

If I am in a restaurant with my seven year old, and the t-shirt is at the next table, my kid is going to ask questions about what the word means. That's not the time or the place. As I navigate my way through an awkward situation, my dinner is ruined by your bf's poor taste.

What's the point of the boyfriend's actions by displaying this? Plainly, it's to shock. Do not be surprised by the retired cop confronting him. WTF did you expect? (of course pun's intended)

Wear the shirt around the house - to a bar - but not to a restaurant where there are kids or families.

A little common sense usually works.

Well, I understand your point. If I had a child, I wouldnt want to explain it, either. BUT - he used his children as an example. They arent small children. In a few years, my best bet would be that they will know what the word 'f**k' means and be able to give various examples. :rolleyes:

My point is, I understand and somewhat agree with ALL of you. I wouldnt wear the shirt, nor would it be my first choice for him to wear. BUT - my argument is in how it was handled, not why it was brought up.

Knowing the bf the way I do, if the guy would have walked up, explained how and why he thought it was inappropriate for the place we were in and just simply asked him to change the shirt or leave, not only would the bf have been more willing to oblige, but he probably would have thought twice about wearing it the next time. The fact that the man, as he was leaving
, approached us while yelling, demanding that the bf leave, and calling the cops without giving more opportunity for the situation to be changed.

Two wrongs dont make a right, people.

olevetonahill
6/25/2007, 08:23 PM
Im all for Free speach , But If I saw that and Had my Grandaughters. Id have whooped his ***:pop:

Melo
6/25/2007, 08:26 PM
So what if instead of Texas, the shirt said 'F**k yall, Im a Sooner!'

Would it STILL be inappropriate?

;)

olevetonahill
6/25/2007, 08:33 PM
So what if instead of Texas, the shirt said 'F**k yall, Im a Sooner!'

Would it STILL be inappropriate?

;)
Yup

Melo
6/25/2007, 08:35 PM
That last part was more of a joke.

Haha?

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 08:35 PM
i dont have a daughter, but if i did, no boy would ever walk away from my house with her wearing that shirt......not out to eat anyway

and i DO have 2 sons, and i'd kick their *** if they ever took a girl out on a date wearing something like that

call me old fashioned i guess

oh, and i do get that there are places kids these days wear that sort of thing

GottaHavePride
6/25/2007, 08:39 PM
Yeah, although generally speaking if I'm going to any restaurant that isn't a fast food place, I won't wear a t-shirt. I go change into at least a polo, if not a button-down shirt first.

Oh, and I think both the bf AND the ex-cop were in the wrong on this situation.

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 08:42 PM
perhaps he's an "ex" cop because he lacked the necessary people skills :)

OCUDad
6/25/2007, 08:46 PM
I'm with the majority here. It was wrong to wear that shirt in a public place. And I do NOT understand the "it's only a word" mentality at all, possibly because I am an Old Fart. If your boyfriend had worn a shirt with the N-word on it, would you say "it's only a word"?

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 08:52 PM
So, on average, I get to spend about one day out of the week visiting my bf. This last week, I spent a good little amount of time up there, and one night, him and I, plus the 12 year old brother went out to eat.

We were all in enjoyable moods, walked in, sat down, and conversated like normal. We were not being loud, offensive, anything of that nature when a man walked up to us and asked my bf to step outside, due to the shirt he was wearing. He explained that it was offensive and that he didnt want the wrong impression being given to his two daughters, one of them looked about 12 and the other maybe 14, at oldest. The shirt said 'F**k yall Im from Texas', which I understand isnt exactly proper, but it IS just a word.

Anyways. The bf told the man that he wasnt doing anything wrong, it was just a shirt, and that the other family was leaving to begin with. The man started yelling, exclaimed that he was a retired cop, the shirt was considered 'disorderly conduct' and that he was calling the police. The police showed up, made the bf turn his shirt inside out and left.

My problem is - what did that man gain from making a big deal out of a stupid shirt? Couldnt he just make an example out of the situation, tell his daughters that the word wasnt one he ever wanted to hear them say and then get over it? I mean, sure, fine, make an example out of the bf. I dont care. That man ruined OUR meal by interrupting us and calling the police. Over what? A shirt. Why involve us in things that you as parents should handle? It wasnt ANY of his business to come over and bother us. IMO, anyways.

Plus, the word is probably something the daughters have heard before.

As parents, would you have done the same thing? Was this man justified, or was he just being ridiculous?

Okay two things...

1) conversate IS NOT A WORD. It is converse. This drives me crazy

2) I think the Old man should have his damn eyes and tongue ripped out. If he doesnt like it, dont look. What gives him the right to say what your bf can or cant wear in a public place regardless of its "decency." The restaurant owner should have done something about it if they dont want that type of patronage. I am so tired of this holier than thou attitude and people cramming their ideals down other peoples throats. Do I think the shirt is tasteless? probably. But why would I get to dictate what someone else wears. I think people need to get over the **** about telling other people how to conduct themselves and then handing me this "when I was your age crap." Sorry for the rant, I am just so tired of this. :hot:

Melo
6/25/2007, 08:55 PM
1) conversate IS NOT A WORD. It is converse. This drives me crazy

As long as were handing out English smack:
Conversate (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conversate)

;)

OCUDad
6/25/2007, 08:57 PM
I am so tired of this holier than though attitude and people cramming their ideals down other peoples throats.
OK, the term is not "holier than THOUGH." It is "holier than THOU." This drives me crazy.

The rest of the rant isn't worth comment.

OU Adonis
6/25/2007, 08:58 PM
perhaps he's an "ex" cop because he lacked the necessary people skills :)

I call BS.

Cops don't have people skills. :D

OU Adonis
6/25/2007, 09:01 PM
FYI - My opinion on the matter is that the BF has a right to wear the T-Shirt because I am a supporter of free speech.

Saying that I think he does look like a tool for wearing it. Thats whats great about free speech. People can look like idiots in the process and we can discard what they are trying to say.

tulsaoilerfan
6/25/2007, 09:03 PM
I consider myself fairly open minded to most things, but one thing i think is totally wrong is wearing a T-shirt ANYWHERE in public with the F word on it; IMO, those shirts shouldn't even be made, let alone worn.

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 09:05 PM
As long as were handing out English smack:
Conversate (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conversate)

;)

heh.

Usage: slang :P

Sorry I just hate it

Melo
6/25/2007, 09:07 PM
heh.

Usage: slang :P

Sorry I just hate it

Its all good, dawg...

;) :P

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 09:13 PM
OK, the term is not "holier than THOUGH." It is "holier than THOU." This drives me crazy.

fixed.

The rest of the rant isn't worth comment.

Apparently it was. you did by stating its relative worth from your point of view.

I am just so tired of people with children, thinking that they are somehow better and have a right to have things the way they want them or the way that is "proper, decent and moral" because of their kids.

Hypothetically, What if I didn't want your kid at the restaurant because then I couldnt say ****? (that would fly like a lead balloon, but anyway...)

You might tell me well its a family place... go someplace else? Why the hell do I have to go someplace else? why dont you go someplace else?

Why is every restaurant a family restaurant?

Just because you can bring your kids doesnt always mean they should be there.

And just because you have daughters or granddaughters doesnt mean that their rights or yours supercede the rights of someone else.

soonersponge
6/25/2007, 09:15 PM
Good rule of thumb: If your own parents will slap your arse for wearing a shirt, don't wear it.

Melo
6/25/2007, 09:18 PM
Good rule of thumb: If your own parents will slap your arse for wearing a shirt, don't wear it.

But see... neither of our parents would 'slap our arse' for that shirt. So... if thats rule of thumb, then is it still wrong?

OUHOMER
6/25/2007, 09:22 PM
I'm with the majority here. It was wrong to wear that shirt in a public place. And I do NOT understand the "it's only a word" mentality at all, possibly because I am an Old Fart. If your boyfriend had worn a shirt with the N-word on it, would you say "it's only a word"?

very good point, I see Melo and Fraggle didn't touch this quote.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2007, 09:25 PM
NAGGERS!

royalfan5
What restaurant was this in? A chain? A local joint?

olevetonahill
But see... neither of our parents would 'slap our arse' for that shirt. So... if thats rule of thumb, then is it still wrong?
Yes
Totally inappropriate to wear it to a Family restaurant
If Yall going to a punk type club then OK .

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 09:28 PM

I'll touch it.

These are different because ****** has a lot more connotations behind it than does ****. One is a racial slur the other is a swear word. So one is offensive to an entire race of people and implies all of the things that occurred during slavery etc, while the other is offensive to a given moral standard often based in religion.

But I never was down with the its only a word comment. I believe in freedom of speach. yes even stupid speech. I mean, hell by your logic, should the guy in the The Jerk's thread (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95361) be allowed to have a swastika on his ****ING FACE!?

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 09:29 PM
fixed.

Apparently it was. you did by stating its relative worth from your point of view.

I am just so tired of people with children, thinking that they are somehow better and have a right to have things the way they want them or the way that is "proper, decent and moral" because of their kids.

Hypothetically, What if I didn't want your kid at the restaurant because then I couldnt say ****? (that would fly like a lead balloon, but anyway...)

You might tell me well its a family place... go someplace else? Why the hell do I have to go someplace else? why dont you go someplace else?

And just because you have daughters or granddaughters doesnt mean that their rights or yours supercede the rights of someone else.

wow.........

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 09:31 PM
fixed.

You are wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

Melo
6/25/2007, 09:33 PM

Well, since you so kindly brought it up...

'Its just a word'. Exactly that. Its JUST a word. I dont know how else to explain it. Taboo on the word 'f**k'. It used to not be okay to say 'bitch' and '****'... but thats okay, now. Why? They all have negative connotations, for the most part.

And yes, the 'N-word' is only a word, too.

The way I see it - who gives a f**k about me? None of you do, when it comes down to it. You have your own families. My family, my friends, my bf, God... they all love me and care about me. So who else even considers me? When I walk into a restaurant, do I get applauded for holding the door open for someone? Do I get a hug for helping up a little kid who falls down? Nope. So why should I go out of my way to accommodate YOU when you couldnt care less about me?

royalfan5
6/25/2007, 09:34 PM
This thread should have emo bangs.

VeeJay
6/25/2007, 09:34 PM
Meh - give him a few years. Now, it's idealism.

I went through it too. 25 years ago.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2007, 09:35 PM
You are wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

He's taking the argument to ridiculous extremes, but he has a bit of a point. Why should one person's wishes (ex-cop) infringe on the other person's right to free expression (bf)? I mean, that's the point of the bill of rights - to prevent the many from trampling the rights of the few.

Now, with that said, the restaurant would be perfectly within their rights to deny service, too - they're not a government agency.

Melo
What restaurant was this in? A chain? A local joint?

A 'local' chinese place.

jk the sooner fan

'Its just a word'. Exactly that. Its JUST a word. I dont know how else to explain it. Taboo on the word 'f**k'. It used to not be okay to say 'bitch' and '****'... but thats okay, now. Why? They all have negative connotations, for the most part.

The way I see it - who gives a f**k about me? None of you do, when it comes down to it. You have your own families. My family, my friends, my bf, God... they all love me and care about me. So who else even considers me? When I walk into a restaurant, do I get applauded for holding the door open for someone? Do I get a hug for helping up a little kid who falls down? Nope. So why should I go out of my way to accommodate YOU when you couldnt care less about me?

are you holding the door open for the sole purpose of getting applauded?

are you helping the kid just so you can get a hug?

its not about accomodating anybody, so much as it is just having respect for those around you - you certainly cant expect to ever get it if you dont give it

in 10 years, i'm betting you'll think differently about all this, at least i certainly hope so

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 09:36 PM

If you feel the need for accolades for doing these things then you are doing them for the wrong reasons.

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 09:38 PM
He's taking the argument to ridiculous extremes, but he has a bit of a point. Why should one person's wishes (ex-cop) infringe on the other person's right to free expression (bf)? I mean, that's the point of the bill of rights - to prevent the many from trampling the rights of the few.

Now, with that said, the restaurant would be perfectly within their rights to deny service, too - they're not a government agency.

Common courtesy.

soonersponge
Inersting thread.

jk the sooner fan
Melo - earlier in this thread you said you wouldnt personally wear the shirt, or pick it for your bf to wear

that tells me you dont really approve of the shirt, although you seem to be a little indifferent

however, when somebody joins your argument, then you swing over to the "its just a word, who are you to tell me what to wear" side

so exactly where do you stand? i'm confused....

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 09:43 PM

Thanks, for seeing my logic and that is exactly my point. I would have no problem with the restaurant refusing service.

soonersponge
6/25/2007, 09:43 PM
I think you can do what you want. To each his own. Just expect others to think the same way. You want to wear it, fine. To expect others to like it as well, not fine. People who read the shirt have the right to react in any way they want. Just like you have the right to wear it.

That is all I got to say about that. haha

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 09:45 PM
Common courtesy.

For who? Why is one worth more than the other? Becuase you dont like ****? give me a break.

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 09:46 PM
My point is, I understand and somewhat agree with ALL of you. I wouldnt wear the shirt, nor would it be my first choice for him to wear. BUT - my argument is in how it was handled, not why it was brought up.

Well, he probably thought that any jackhole who was such a loser to even wear a shirt like that probably wouldn't have the brain cells to have a rational discussion about it.

Melo
6/25/2007, 09:46 PM
are you holding the door open for the sole purpose of getting applauded?

are you helping the kid just so you can get a hug?

its not about accomodating anybody, so much as it is just having respect for those around you - you certainly cant expect to ever get it if you dont give it

in 10 years, i'm betting you'll think differently about all this, at least i certainly hope so

Why do I want the respect of people who call the cops on others for wearing something that says 'f**k'? I dont respect that at all.

Heres the thing - If I wanted the respect of others, wouldnt it make sense for me to try and earn it? If I wanted the respect of others, would I do the things I do? No. I just dont care. Is that so bad? I dont care about a lot of other people and what their opinions are of me.

And no, JK, Im not looking for applause or anything. I open the door so that the old person wont have to struggle with it and waste more of my time. I help the little kid up, because its easier to see a smile and smile back, than get a headache from all the crying.

Maybe Ill grow out of it, maybe I wont. I know Ive said it before on this board - I just dont take well to people telling me what to do, or shoving their ideas down my throat. I dont like being told Im wrong, and I dont like feeling inferior. I dislike people who make me feel that way. They dont get my respect because they obviously didnt care about getting it in the first place.

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 09:47 PM
the only person that can make you feel inferior to anybody is yourself

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 09:47 PM
For who? Why is one worth more than the other? Becuase you dont like ****? give me a break.

For 99% of the public.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2007, 09:48 PM
Common courtesy.

Well, yeah. That's why I said I thought both sides of the situation were in the wrong.

This brings to mind a thought, though. Just today I was at dinner and a rather large woman came in wearing a tank-top undershirt (aka "wifebeater"), shorts that appeared to be men's boxer shorts turned inside out (so you can see the elastic band and tag), and crocs. That was it. Honestly, I'm far more concerned about people thinking that's suitable attire to wear out into public anywhere than I am about people wearing shirts with rude words on them.

leavingthezoo
6/25/2007, 09:48 PM

wait. so... instead of being kind for no reward we should be rude because a negative response is better than no response? is that what you meant? that's what i got out of it. i'm 32 and my mother would still kick my backside from here to kingdom come if... 1) i wore a shirt in a public place that i knew was offensive to people (even if it were not directly offensive to me) and 2) thought i should be applauded for simply holding a door open.

you asked who considers you... it sounds like you consider you. a lot even.

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 09:49 PM
...its not about accomodating anybody, so much as it is just having respect for those around you - you certainly cant expect to ever get it if you dont give it

I guess I just disagree with this mentality. Maybe he doesnt want that guys respect... Maybe he doesnt care about what those people think, and he shouldnt have to.

And it is about accommodating people. Its about accommodating people that dont like the word ****.

For the sake of argument why doesnt that guy have some respect for the bf and leave him alone? I mean he cant get respect unless he gives it right?

47straight
6/25/2007, 09:49 PM
How old is the boyfriend in question? It might matter, it probably doesn't.

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 09:50 PM
I guess I just disagree with this mentality.

we were probably brought up differently then

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 09:51 PM
I just dont take well to people telling me what to do, or shoving their ideas down my throat. I dont like being told Im wrong (when I dont believe I am wrong)... ...I dislike people who make me feel that way. They dont get my respect because they obviously didnt care about getting it in the first place.

This is it right here.

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 09:51 PM
I would hate to think my daughter would be dating anyone stupid enough to wear that on a shirt to start with.

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 09:53 PM
I guess I just disagree with this mentality. Maybe he doesnt want that guys respect... Maybe he doesnt care about what those people think, and he shouldnt have to.

And it is about accommodating people. Its about accommodating people that dont like the word ****.

For the sake of argument why doesnt that guy have some respect for the bf and leave him alone? I mean he cant get respect unless he gives it right?

The guy wore the shirt to get a reaction. He got a reaction and someone didn't like the reaction that it got. End of story.

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 09:53 PM
we were probably brought up differently then

Probably not. I dont wear **** shirts in public. and I dont curse around my parents. and I do most everything that I should in polite company. I just respect the right to free speech, unfortunately there are a bunch of stupid people that feel they need to be heard too and they are equally protected.

Melo
6/25/2007, 09:54 PM
the only person that can make you feel inferior to anybody is yourself

You could tell me I am a loser and that youre better, and Id get a small feeling of inferiority. :D

I dont know. Like I said, personally, I wouldnt haven chosen the shirt, not because of the word 'F**k' but more because I just wouldnt want to wear the shirt. Its not very feminine. BUT - I dont really care what he wears, really. I appreciate it when he looks nice and cares, but I also appreciate it when he manages to find something clean. :)

The reason for the 'side swinging' is because I am pretty indifferent to the situation in general. Okay, fine, wear the shirt, dont be offended when someone is offended. BUT - I didnt like how the man handled the situation. If what you say is true, then he gave all the respect back that the word 'f**k' seems to imply. If the older generation has such better ideas, and is to be respected, why yell, make a scene and call the cops? And if we're stereotyping here (older people vs. younger people) What kind of example are you guys setting? If were so wrong, how did we learn this?

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 09:55 PM
Probably not. I dont wear **** shirts in public. and I dont curse around my parents. and I do most everything that I should in polite company. I just respect the right to free speech, unfortunately there are a bunch of stupid people that feel they need to be heard too and they are equally protected.

no, probably so, because there's a difference between two people who wont wear that shirt,.......and two people where one is indifferent to others that do, and one isnt

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 09:56 PM
no, probably so, because there's a difference between two people who wont wear that shirt,.......and two people where one is indifferent to others that do, and one isnt

I never said that I liked it.

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 09:57 PM
You could tell me I am a loser and that youre better, and Id get a small feeling of inferiority. :D

I dont know. Like I said, personally, I wouldnt haven chosen the shirt, not because of the word 'F**k' but more because I just wouldnt want to wear the shirt. Its not very feminine. BUT - I dont really care what he wears, really. I appreciate it when he looks nice and cares, but I also appreciate it when he manages to find something clean. :)

The reason for the 'side swinging' is because I am pretty indifferent to the situation in general. Okay, fine, wear the shirt, dont be offended when someone is offended. BUT - I didnt like how the man handled the situation. If what you say is true, then he gave all the respect back that the word 'f**k' seems to imply. If the older generation has such better ideas, and is to be respected, why yell, make a scene and call the cops? And if we're stereotyping here (older people vs. younger people) What kind of example are you guys setting? If were so wrong, how did we learn this?

Hollywood. :D

soonersponge
6/25/2007, 09:57 PM
We're talking about unchecked aggression here, dude.

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 09:59 PM

he called the cops likely because he knew they could order/force him to either leave or change the shirt, whereas he couldnt......i have no idea why he yelled and made a scene, most likely because he didnt know any other way to handle it, or quite possibly he had a ****ty day and that shirt was the straw that broke his mood and your b/f was the target of his meltdown.

i dont think you're as indifferent to the situation as you'd like any of us to think

how did you learn what? that wearing that shirt in public is ok? certainly not from the man that went off in the restaurant

i cant speak for everybody my age, but i can tell you that if you're looking for an example in this area, you'd never wear or be seen with that shirt in public

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 10:01 PM
I never said that I liked it.

but you're indifferent to it......thats where we differ

i never said that you liked it

i was raised that standards and principles go hand in hand........

my father taught me early on that if i saw something that was wrong, and didnt do anything about it, then i accepted that low standard as my own

granted thats a bit extreme as principles go, but for the most part i agree with it

probably the reason i ended up in the career field i did

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:01 PM
he called the cops likely because he knew they could order/force him to either leave or change the shirt, whereas he couldnt......i have no idea why he yelled and made a scene, most likely because he didnt know any other way to handle it, or quite possibly he had a ****ty day and that shirt was the straw that broke his mood and your b/f was the target of his meltdown.

i dont think you're as indifferent to the situation as you'd like any of us to think

how did you learn what? that wearing that shirt in public is ok? certainly not from the man that went off in the restaurant

i cant speak for everybody my age, but i can tell you that if you're looking for an example in this area, you'd never wear or be seen with that shirt in public

I think that the larger point that I hate here is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease again. Isnt there something more important to be doing and dealing with a kid in a **** shirt?

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 10:02 PM
no offense to melo, but i'm betting that since she and her dinner party was on the receiving end of the whole thing, it probably sounded louder than it actually was

i could be wrong, but i wouldnt be surprised if i wasnt

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 10:03 PM
I think that the larger point that I hate here is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease again. Isnt there something more important to be doing and dealing with a kid in a **** shirt?

We should never be too busy to make a stand for decency.

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 10:04 PM

my father taught me early on that if i saw something that was wrong, and didnt do anything about it, then i accepted that low standard as my own

granted thats a bit extreme as principles go, but for the most part i agree with it

Spek!!!

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:06 PM

I think we are just adhering to a different principle. I think we are standing by it equally passionately, and I bet both sides can have low things associated with them. Free speech can lead to **** shirts, Personal Morality can lead to yelling oppressive messes (this is just how I view it)... I am sure the list goes on and on.

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:07 PM
We should never be too busy to make a stand for decency.

tell me that when your house gets robbed twice on christmas as a kid and then once as an adult being made to hug the floor at gunpoint. And you think I am idealistic?

Melo
6/25/2007, 10:08 PM
wait. so... instead of being kind for no reward we should be rude because a negative response is better than no response? is that what you meant? that's what i got out of it. i'm 32 and my mother would still kick my backside from here to kingdom come if... 1) i wore a shirt in a public place that i knew was offensive to people (even if it were not directly offensive to me) and 2) thought i should be applauded for simply holding a door open.

you asked who considers you... it sounds like you consider you. a lot even.

You should act how you want. Im not saying you have to act any one way towards other people. You act how you want, I act how I want. But when people are rude to me, then they get what they gave. Is that the right thing to do? Nope. I wasnt really meaning I expect applause and confetti when I hold a door open. But there have been plenty of times when I have held a door open, or helped a kid up who tripped and gotten vacant stares and even looks of confusion. Look, Im sorry for going out of my way, I didnt know it would bother you. I DO consider myself. A lot. You know why? I dont have children, I dont have a spouse. So, Im high up there on my priority list. I have to look out for myself, because no one else does. Are YOU going to keep me out of trouble? Are YOU going to pay for my school, help me study pay for the oil change I need on my car? Nope. Thats all me. Right now, I dont even remember what 'fun' is. Im not even 20 years old yet, and every. single. day. is filled with class, studying, and work. Why? Because no one else is paying my way through the world. My day is FILLED with doing nothing BUT me. Aside from family/friends/bf, Im not always too quick to help others, because most of the time, its wasted effort on people who dont give a f**k.

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 10:08 PM
I think we are just adhering to a different principle. I think we are standing by it equally passionately, and I bet both sides can have low things associated with them. Free speech can lead to **** shirts, Personal Morality can lead to yelling oppressive messes (this is just how I view it)... I am sure the list goes on and on.

yet you vigorously defend the guy wearing **** on his shirt in a public restaurant......you find more fault in the guy who calls him on it than you do with the guy wearing the shirt

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:09 PM

I also have a problem with you inferring that my father and family did not instill proper moral values, ethics and beliefs in me. That may not be your intention, but if it was I think that is kind of a low blow and completely untrue.

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:10 PM
yet you vigorously defend the guy wearing **** on his shirt in a public restaurant......you find more fault in the guy who calls him on it than you do with the guy wearing the shirt

I hate oppression more than idiocy, what more can I say? Sometimes you cant fix stupid. :O

OU Adonis
6/25/2007, 10:10 PM
he called the cops likely because he knew they could order/force him to either leave or change the shirt, whereas he couldnt......

Thats an interesting point. Could the cops legally? I really doubt it. If the owners of the restaurant did not say anything to the bf, then I doubt the cops could legally make him change his shirt.

Vaevictis
6/25/2007, 10:11 PM
1. It's your right, generally speaking, to say something offensive.
2. Conversely, if you say something offensive, don't be surprised when someone is offended.

BF wore a shirt that's offensive. Anyone older than 3 knows that **** is an offensive word.

It's his right to do so, but hell, don't act all indignant or surprised when someone is offended and acts like people do when offended. I think the guy overreacted, but if you're going to wear an offensive shirt... well, get used to people overreacting to it on occasion.

JohnnyMack
6/25/2007, 10:11 PM
I know approximately how old jk is.

I know approximately how old Melo is.

Having read the posts of one Fraggle145 I have a pretty good idea of that posters age.

Like if I was working at the carnival I could probably come within 2 years either side of it.

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:12 PM
You should act how you want. Im not saying you have to act any one way towards other people. You act how you want, I act how I want. But when people are rude to me, then they get what they gave. Is that the right thing to do? Nope. I wasnt really meaning I expect applause and confetti when I hold a door open. But there have been plenty of times when I have held a door open, or helped a kid up who tripped and gotten vacant stares and even looks of confusion. Look, Im sorry for going out of my way, I didnt know it would bother you. I DO consider myself. A lot. You know why? I dont have children, I dont have a spouse. So, Im high up there on my priority list. I have to look out for myself, because no one else does. Are YOU going to keep me out of trouble? Are YOU going to pay for my school, help me study pay for the oil change I need on my car? Nope. Thats all me. Right now, I dont even remember what 'fun' is. Im not even 20 years old yet, and every. single. day. is filled with class, studying, and work. Why? Because no one else is paying my way through the world. My day is FILLED with doing nothing BUT me. Aside from family/friends/bf, Im not always too quick to help others, because most of the time, its wasted effort on people who dont give a f**k.

Preach on!

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 10:13 PM
Thats an interesting point. Could the cops legally? I really doubt it. If the owners of the restaurant did not say anything, then I doubt the cops could.

the cops can give the kid the option of going to jail for disturbing the peace or switching his shirt inside out

its not just on the owners.......if the general public is around and can be offended.........there are public decency laws

yermom
the thing with "free speech" is that it has limits

you can't just say **** anywhere. was the cop violating his first amendment rights by making him turn his shirt inside out?

i'm sure it would have gone smoother if dude didn't go 0-bastard in 5 seconds though. what kind of example is he setting for these kids he's trying to protect?

but yeah, you don't wear that shirt unless you want JK or his ilk to say **** to you. it's like wearing anti-wh0rn **** in Dallas for OU/Texass

Fraggle145
I know approximately how old jk is.

I know approximately how old Melo is.

Having read the posts of one Fraggle145 I have a pretty good idea of that posters age.

Like if I was working at the carnival I could probably come within 2 years either side of it.

Do I get :twinkies: if you are wrong?

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:15 PM
But relatively which is more important for a cop to be doing, turning a kids **** shirt inside out or doing, hell I dont know, anything else?

1stTimeCaller
6/25/2007, 10:15 PM
Going with soonersponge, Across this line you do not cross.

It's been said before but Melo, your boyfriend is an idiot. The ex-cop is an idiot.

New to the thread; Do the police have the authority to make someone turn their shirt inside out? I don't think they do. Sure, they asked him to do that so that the guy leaving would be happy but I don't think they can make anyone turn their shirt inside out due to something another person finds offensive.

While I don't agree with the shirt, I'm going to go with Voltaire on this issue.

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 10:16 PM
tell me that when your house gets robbed twice on christmas as a kid and then once as an adult being made to hug the floor at gunpoint. And you think I am idealistic?

What's that got to do with the shirt?

OU Adonis
6/25/2007, 10:17 PM
the cops can give the kid the option of going to jail for disturbing the peace or switching his shirt inside out

its not just on the owners.......if the general public is around and can be offended.........there are public decency laws

Which generally won't stand up in court if the kid presses on it.

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 10:18 PM
Im not even 20 years old yet, and every. single. day. is filled with class, studying, and work. Why? Because no one else is paying my way through the world. My day is FILLED with doing nothing BUT me. Aside from family/friends/bf, Im not always too quick to help others, because most of the time, its wasted effort on people who dont give a f**k.

Oh cry me a river. Plenty of people do this without portraying themselves as a victim. You and your boyfriend both need to grow up.

Melo
6/25/2007, 10:18 PM
Look, the shirt is considered disorderly conduct. I know that. The cop told us. The cop also said he thought the man was being ridiculous with the situation, and kindly asked bf to turn the shirt inside out.

My bf did NOT get offended by all of this. Thats being said a lot. My problem, through ALL of this, was how badly the man reacted to the situation. I mean, if you want to make an example so your daughters know that 'f**k' is a bad word, fine. But what, exactly, did they learn from him yelling, pacing between the door and our table, and having the cops show up? If my father did something like that in a public place, I dont think I would respect that as much as if it were handled differently. All I was saying that a little patience and some tact can go a LONG way to get your own ends accomplished than pointng fingers and making demands.

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 10:19 PM
But relatively which is more important for a cop to be doing, turning a kids **** shirt inside out or doing, hell I dont know, anything else?

right, the cops shouldnt respond to where they are dispatched.......they should make decisions about responding to calls from the seat of their cruiser

brilliant!

if the public calls, they respond

Fraggle145
What's that got to do with the shirt?

When Paperclip says to me
We should never be too busy to make a stand for decency. then it is relevant. Because I asked it before and just asked it again. What is it more important for the cops to be doing? attending to the squeaky wheel who wants his way?

Vaevictis
Again.

1. Dude overreacted.
2. If you wear an offensive shirt, it's going to happen from time to time.

Melo
6/25/2007, 10:21 PM
Oh cry me a river. Plenty of people do this without portraying themselves as a victim. You and your boyfriend both need to grow up.

She made a comment about me placing myself highly. I was merely agreeing with her. Im not the victim and I know that. My POINT was that I work equally as hard as others, I think about things just as much as others, so I think I am entitled to my own opinion.

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:22 PM
right, the cops shouldnt respond to where they are dispatched.......they should make decisions about responding to calls from the seat of their cruiser

brilliant!

if the public calls, they respond

not what I said... but nice try for a twist. I just think that some things should be told at the dispatcher "Ummm... No, but thanks for the call there is more important **** to do." JMO

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 10:22 PM
When Paperclip says to me then it is relevant. Because I asked it before and just asked it again. What is it more important for the cops to be doing? attending to the squeaky wheel who wants his way?

i'm betting when the cops are called to respond and investigate both of those offenses, they will

however if you expect them to be sitting on YOUR house before the crime happens, and prevent it....then you've got some pretty wild expectations

melo - if your bf was willing to turn his shirt inside out for the cops, why didnt he just defuse the situation in the beginning and say to the loud man "i'm sorry you're offended, i'll turn it inside out"

and end the situation

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 10:23 PM
not what I said... but nice try for a twist. I just think that some things should be told at the dispatcher "Ummm... No, but thanks for the call there is more important **** to do." JMO

in a utopian world, this is how the police would work

but thats not where we live - generally speaking, you call for the cops, they come

especially in a small town like Katy

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:23 PM
i'm betting when the cops are called to respond and investigate both of those offenses, they will

however if you expect them to be sitting on YOUR house before the crime happens, and prevent it....then you've got some pretty wild expectations

melo - if your bf was willing to turn his shirt inside out for the cops, why didnt he just defuse the situation in the beginning and say to the loud man "i'm sorry you're offended, i'll turn it inside out"

and end the situation

Not saying that at all. I am just saying having one more unit available couldnt have hurt and when something that is a an actual crime and not a **** shirt happens to you it changes your perspective.

And I'm betting he didnt offer that because the guy was being an ***.

olevetonahill
6/25/2007, 10:24 PM

Heres the Deal as I see it . Wear what ya want to . Just be ready to have your aszwhooped when you do !
Ya know Kinda like burning the Flag in front of me !:cool:

Sooner24
When Paperclip says to me then it is relevant. Because I asked it before and just asked it again. What is it more important for the cops to be doing? attending to the squeaky wheel who wants his way?

A guy in a shirt with an obscenity on it robbed you three times? You should have called the police and had him turn it inside out.

Melo
It's been said before but Melo, your boyfriend is an idiot. The ex-cop is an idiot.

Let me now take a moment to also say that I do not disagree with this. Hes a guy. Hes a young guy. Hes not too smart sometimes. But, I am not his mother, so I wont be the one telling him what to do.

But if were placing blame on the younger, stupid generation, then really... the ex cop is the only one without an excuse.

JohnnyMack
Going with soonersponge, Across this line you do not cross.

New to the thread; Do the police have the authority to make someone turn their shirt inside out? I don't think they do. Sure, they asked him to do that so that the guy leaving would be happy but I don't think they can make anyone turn their shirt inside out due to something another person finds offensive.

While I don't agree with the shirt, I'm going to go with Voltaire on this issue.

**** you, you piece of ****.

You ****bag eating piece of ****.

I mean, Hi, I missed you.

Vaevictis
6/25/2007, 10:25 PM

Because the police are tasked with enforcing the law, from the worst of felonies to the smallest of traffic violations.

Additionally, if they refused to respond to the situation, and the dude went out to his glove box and came back into the restaurant with a handgun, just who do you think gets sued?

OU Adonis
6/25/2007, 10:25 PM

Did you used to date my ex?

yermom
6/25/2007, 10:26 PM
well, and if they don't come old dude might just kick emo kid's *** ;)

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 10:26 PM
and really, i know for a fact that in the middle of that situation, if the radio goes off and they need to respond to something felonious, they'll drop that donut and hit the road faster than you can say boo

Melo
6/25/2007, 10:28 PM

THIS is why I had an issue in the first place. The guy never left room for questions or promises. He just walked over, stated how offended he was, told my bf to leave, then called the cops when bf said he wasnt leaving.

This didnt happen in Katy. It happened out in Bellville. And just fyi - Katy is FAR from small. Plop it next to Houston, yea, its smaller, but with 7 HS's and growing population, we're not really that whole 'conservative, tiny town' thing.

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:30 PM
and really, i know for a fact that in the middle of that situation, if the radio goes off and they need to respond to something felonious, they'll drop that donut and hit the road faster than you can say boo

Well that makes me a lot happier to know.

1stTimeCaller
6/25/2007, 10:30 PM

You kiss your wife with that mouth?

'Cause I kiss her with this :P

You and JK can go **** yourselves with wooden spoons. :D

seriously, don't try it. Mongo told me that it hurts.

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 10:31 PM
Why are you dating a guy who would wear a shirt like that at all, no to mention in public and in front of the 12 year old brother? This should tell you this guy is not right for you.

Fraggle145
6/25/2007, 10:32 PM
Why are you dating a guy who would wear a shirt like that at all, no to mention in public and in front of the 12 year old brother? This should tell you this guy is not right for you.

Good thing it is up to you... :rolleyes:

Thanks Mom.

royalfan5
6/25/2007, 10:34 PM
Why has nobody addressed the fact that apparently the dude is proud to be from Texas? Seriously, who plays that up?

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 10:39 PM

Thanks Mom.

She's too busy with school and work to realize what's apparent to the rest of us. I'm just helping out.

Vaevictis
6/25/2007, 10:42 PM
Why has nobody addressed the fact that apparently the dude is proud to be from Texas? Seriously, who plays that up?

A Texan. In fact, almost all Texans, especially the ones IN TEXAS.

NormanPride
6/25/2007, 10:45 PM
I say the ex-cop should have been talked to about disorderly conduct himself if he was really disturbing the other patrons of the restaurant. I'm surprised the management didn't ask them all to leave.

royalfan5
6/25/2007, 10:47 PM
It's situation like this, where it is too bad that duels aren't an acceptable means of dispute settling.

Melo
6/25/2007, 10:47 PM

Because A) I obviously dont care about the shirt. I said it before, Ill say it one more time: Its just a word.

B) Hes 12 and in public school. plus he lives with the guy. Im pretty sure the kid knows the appropriate places for the word 'f**k'.

C) What does ANY of this have to do with this guy being 'right' for me. Because a f**k shirt has EVERYTHING to do with a relationship, I see. Almost got me on that one!

Okay, I'm not trying to be mean, honestly. I never once said I agreed or supported his choice of clothing. BUT - hes my bf, not my child. Im not going to dictate to him what he can or cannot do.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2007, 10:48 PM
Inersting thread.

Not really. The sheer stupidity of it is mind blowing.

Melo
6/25/2007, 10:49 PM
Not really. The sheer stupidity of it is mind blowing.

:D :D :D :D :D

It WAS a stupid incident. However, I did think it would be a good little argument/dispute for the SO.

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 10:51 PM
C) What does ANY of this have to do with this guy being 'right' for me. Because a f**k shirt has EVERYTHING to do with a relationship, I see. Almost got me on that one!

Okay, I'm not trying to be mean, honestly. I never once said I agreed or supported his choice of clothing. BUT - hes my bf, not my child. Im not going to dictate to him what he can or cannot do.

It's indicative of what he thinks is acceptable behavior.

OCUDad
6/25/2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks Mom.Hey, if you can decide which words are offensive and the degree of offense that should be taken, why can't Paperclip advise Melo on dating?

Melo
6/25/2007, 10:52 PM
Okay, this was all in good fun, I wasnt posting this incident because I wanted to prove a point - I knew there would be conflicting opinions, so I went ahead with it. I even wasted my 3kth post on this.

And I get negged for the incident? It makes me laugh...

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 10:53 PM
Hey, if you can decide which words are offensive and the degree of offense that should be taken, why can't Paperclip advise Melo on dating?

If I'm mom and you're dad, I'd hate to see our kids.

Melo
6/25/2007, 10:54 PM

So he thinks its okay to wear a shirt in public that says 'f**k'. You know, I just dont see it as being ZOMG, SO HORRIBLEZ!

OCUDad
6/25/2007, 10:55 PM
If I'm mom and you're dad, I'd hate to see our kids.Don't you ever go there again. :mad:

leavingthezoo
6/25/2007, 10:56 PM

oddly enough, you just described me from 16 to now except i'm not quite so down on the world. maybe the world has been kinder to me? i was homeless once and even then felt kindness was wherever i sought it to be. i'm fine with your expression, opinions, etc. i'm not even offended by a shirt that says anything really... but i'm aware other people are and i guess for me- it hurts little to consider others even if i am not necessarily being considered. and if i choose to act in a way i know is potentially offensive, then i am prepared to face the consequences- including a father wanting his child to eat without **** on a t-shirt sitting within view. i promise you we have all been inconsiderate even without our knowledge, and someone has been considerate of us even without our acknowledgment.

i think it's just a difference of views.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2007, 10:57 PM

True.

Next thing you know he'll be walking around with a dildo glued to his forehead and wondering why the usher is asking him to leave the theater.

Melo
6/25/2007, 11:00 PM
oddly enough, you just described me from 16 to now except i'm not quite so down on the world. maybe the world has been kinder to me? i was homeless once and even then felt kindness was wherever i sought it to be. i'm fine with your expression, opinions, etc. i'm not even offended by a shirt that says anything really... but i'm aware other people are and i guess for me- it hurts little to consider others even if i am not necessarily being considered. and if i choose to act in a way i know is potentially offensive, then i am prepared to face the consequences- including a father wanting his child to eat without **** on a t-shirt sitting within view. i promise you we have all been inconsiderate even without our knowledge, and someone has been considerate of us even without our acknowledgment.

i think it's just a difference of views.

I dont want it thought of me, either, that I am a horrible person. I love my job, and it focuses ON our customers. I realize how it all works, and honestly, it makes my day go by quicker when I can smile at people and ask them how their day is going and actually listen and care about what they say. I enjoy interacting with people, I enjoy learning and hearing stories, all of that.

Bottom line - some people just dont care about you. Nothing will ever change that about them. I choose to overlook them.

I also realize that everyone has their fair share of hard times. Im not taking that away from anyone - its how you deal with it that makes you who you are.

1stTimeCaller
6/25/2007, 11:01 PM
I think everyone should be allowed to wear whatever they want to. It makes it easy to see the idiots and Melo's boyfriend is obviously one.

I have a lot of band shirts. My favorite is one of the Muffs, a chick band. I wore it when I was in HS, I thought I was cool. I was just an idiot. It's now my favorite rag. I also have a shirt of the band Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash. It's currently a work shirt.

Some stuff just isn't acceptable in the real world.

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 11:04 PM
I love it when people try to give you neg spek and it's gray. :twinkies: :D

Melo
6/25/2007, 11:06 PM
I think everyone should be allowed to wear whatever they want to. It makes it easy to see the idiots and Melo's boyfriend is obviously one.

I have a lot of band shirts. My favorite is one of the Muffs, a chick band. I wore it when I was in HS, I thought I was cool. I was just an idiot. It's now my favorite rag. I also have a shirt of the band Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash. It's currently a work shirt.

Some stuff just isn't acceptable in the real world.

Oh cmon. The real world? This IS the real world! Idiots and f**k-ups a-plenty!

I can see not wearing stuff like that to work, or to pick your kid/sibling up for school, etc. But out to eat? Give me a break. Its a piece of cloth with 4 letters on it.

I have a Hatebreed shirt (from another thread)... it has a faint skull and says 'supremacy' on it. I would think that would be more offensive than the word 'f**k'.

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 11:07 PM
B) Hes 12 and in public school. plus he lives with the guy. Im pretty sure the kid knows the appropriate places for the word 'f**k'.

Which makes the 12 year old smarter than your boyfriend.

Melo
6/25/2007, 11:08 PM
Which makes the 12 year old smarter than your boyfriend.

Yes... but he hasnt hit puberty yet, so there is no telling.

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 11:10 PM
Oh cmon. The real world? This IS the real world! Idiots and f**k-ups a-plenty!

I can see not wearing stuff like that to work, or to pick your kid/sibling up for school, etc. But out to eat? Give me a break. Its a piece of cloth with 4 letters on it.

If it was just "a piece of cloth with 4 letters on it" your boyfriend wouldn't have worn it.

Melo
6/25/2007, 11:12 PM
If it was just "a piece of cloth with 4 letters on it" your boyfriend wouldn't have worn it.

Why wouldnt he? Its just a shirt.

Paperclip
6/25/2007, 11:14 PM
Why wouldnt he? Its just a shirt.

He wore it because of what was on it. That's what makes it not just a shirt.

Melo
6/25/2007, 11:22 PM
He wore it because of what was on it. That's what makes it not just a shirt.

Its all on how you view it, I guess.

Soonrboy
6/25/2007, 11:25 PM
so, why did he buy the shirt in the first place? he chose it over other ones.

Melo
6/25/2007, 11:31 PM
so, why did he buy the shirt in the first place? he chose it over other ones.

I wasnt with him when he bought it. He obviously thought it was funny, or something. I don know.

jk the sooner fan
6/26/2007, 08:31 AM
how did Dean miss this thread?

TUSooner
6/26/2007, 08:46 AM
Even as former irreverent groovy counterculture hippie free-speech type, I am sorely discouraged that any body would make or wear such a shirt, and that anyone would defend it. But I realize it's just another common sign of our pathetic de-civilization. We're like sailors on a ship that's breaking up on the rocks, and all we want to do is die drunk.
If the world is not coming to an end, it should be. <shakes head sadly>

C&CDean
6/26/2007, 08:46 AM
I just found it.

Here's the deal, and someone may have touched on this cause I haven't read the whole thread:

Your dumbass boyfriend wore that shirt for one reason. To get a reaction out of people. To be the center of attention. To have everyone go "look at that guy's shirt." It's the same reason people dye their hair pink, dress like ghouls, and stick jewelry into their faces. It ain't got a damn thing to do with "freedom of expression." It's all about "look at me everybody, I'm a ****ing moron."

I had a bumper sticker when I was in the Army. Some of you older folks may remember the smiley face with the "Have a Nice Day?" Mine was a smiley face with a tongue sticking out and it read "Sit on a Happy Face." I was a ****ing moron. I had it there for one reason. So other young and stupid people would go "ooh, look at him, he's soooo cool."

Throwing on an old t-shirt is putting on "just a shirt." Throwing on a shirt with a pot leaf or swear words that you know are going to draw attention isn't.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say that you could do much better Melo.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/26/2007, 08:49 AM

I would think your bf was out of line for wearing a shirt to a family restaurant that said any of those words on it, just like I think it's stupid for people to wear 'Cocks hats when they don't even root for South Carolina.

TUSooner
6/26/2007, 08:51 AM
F*ckin-A, Dean!
er, well... you know.
"Right on," or "You are exactly correct," or something.

usmc-sooner
6/26/2007, 09:01 AM
your boyfriend is a bonehead, I'd be upset if people did that around my young kids.

Real men don't have to do stupid stuff like that.

VeeJay
6/26/2007, 09:11 AM
Even as former irreverent groovy counterculture hippie free-speech type, I am sorely discouraged that any body would make or wear such a shirt, and that anyone would defend it. But I realize it's just another common sign of our pathetic de-civilization. We're like sailors on a ship that's breaking up on the rocks, and all we want to do is die drunk.
If the world is not coming to an end, it should be. <shakes head sadly>

There is an understated elegance in that post.

Not knowing a lot about the posters, this is the kind of issue that leads one to believe it's easy to identify the students from the parents who post here. Twenty five years ago I thought it was pretty cool for someone to wear a t-shirt with the word "F---" or some other word or phrase whose sole purpose was to shock.

Simply, people grow up. I don't see many elderly people wearing offensive t-shirts (save for college professors, daring anyone to challenge their First Amendment rights). In the meantime, the young ones who haven't reached a maturity level and a level of responsibility will continue to be bitch-slapped by society.

JohnnyMack
6/26/2007, 09:12 AM
The :dean: has spoken.

MamaMia
6/26/2007, 09:17 AM
FYI - My opinion on the matter is that the BF has a right to wear the T-Shirt because I am a supporter of free speech.

Saying that I think he does look like a tool for wearing it. Thats whats great about free speech. People can look like idiots in the process and we can discard what they are trying to say.
I doubt very seriously that the families in that restaurant were there to be on the receiving end of some guys nasty free speech, but Melos friend made sure thats what they had to contend with. I suppose thats the risk you take when you try to take your family out for a nice dinner.

Melo, you should consider getting a boyfriend with some manners.

OzarkSooner
6/26/2007, 09:17 AM
People have danced all around this, but, that I could tell no-one came right out and said it. You said, and I quote " That man ruined OUR meal by interrupting us and calling the police. Over what? A shirt. Why involve us in things that you as parents should handle? It wasnt ANY of his business to come over and bother us. IMO, anyways."

This is wrong on a couple of levels. The man didn't ruin your meal, your boyfriend ruined your meal when he decided to fly in the face of common decency by wearing the offensive shirt to the restaurant. He knew there was a potential for shock, and as others have said, that's the reason he wore it. Did the ex-cop over-react, he sure did. I've handled situations like this with young people before and 99% if the time if you just explain why you don't like something they are saying/wearing and ask them to change, they will do it. Having said that, don't blame the ex-cop for ruining your meal, blame your boyfriend. I'm also confused that you say it ruined your meal, yet you say your boyfriend wasn't offended by being made to turn his shirt inside out. Which is it?

usmc-sooner
6/26/2007, 09:34 AM
I'm confused as to why she would go out in public with a guy wearing it. It's kinda disrespectful to her as well. If he's going to take her out he should think enough of her to dress decent and not wear something that got him in an argument on their date.

If I were a girl and a guy showed up to take me out in that shirt, I'd say we aint going nowhere with you wearing that shirt.

mdklatt
6/26/2007, 09:41 AM
Give me a break. Its a piece of cloth with 4 letters on it.

How about these four letters: c*nt? Would that be okay? What about those four letters an arrow that points to the side--the side you're standing on. It's just some marks on a piece of cloth, right?

I'm about the most irreverant SOB there is, and even I know there's a line. It's all fun and games when you're young and foolish, but maturity will slap you up side the head soon enough.

Soonrboy
6/26/2007, 09:44 AM
If a boy came to pick up my daughter in that shirt, all I could think about is how disrespectful it was. If he's that way about a shirt, then soon, he will be disrespecting my daughter...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/26/2007, 09:48 AM
Melo,
Does your bf happen to have a **** the BCS shirt too by chance?

frankensooner
6/26/2007, 09:55 AM
I used to be embarassed when my friend from Jersey wore his Hooters t-shirt.

I don't get the whole "Look at ME" mindset, but hey, to each his own.

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 09:57 AM
I know if I had a daughter that was dating a guy and I wore that shirt around that guy I'd yell at my daughter for dating the guy I wore that shirt around because he was around my daughter, too.

Wait... what?

frankensooner
6/26/2007, 09:58 AM
Does he have facial tatoos? ;)

Sooner in Tampa
6/26/2007, 10:02 AM
Just my 2 cents.

It is disrepectful to you and to everyone that has to look at it...and personally I am suprised that you don't have a problem with such a vulgar shirt.

That is fine, that is your perception, but you and your bf need to think about other people who are exposed to the language you are broadcasting.

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 10:08 AM
I just found it.

Here's the deal, and someone may have touched on this cause I haven't read the whole thread:

Your dumbass boyfriend wore that shirt for one reason. To get a reaction out of people. To be the center of attention. To have everyone go "look at that guy's shirt." It's the same reason people dye their hair pink, dress like ghouls, and stick jewelry into their faces. It ain't got a damn thing to do with "freedom of expression." It's all about "look at me everybody, I'm a ****ing moron."

I had a bumper sticker when I was in the Army. Some of you older folks may remember the smiley face with the "Have a Nice Day?" Mine was a smiley face with a tongue sticking out and it read "Sit on a Happy Face." I was a ****ing moron. I had it there for one reason. So other young and stupid people would go "ooh, look at him, he's soooo cool."

Throwing on an old t-shirt is putting on "just a shirt." Throwing on a shirt with a pot leaf or swear words that you know are going to draw attention isn't.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say that you could do much better Melo.

The guy wore the shirt to get a reaction. He got a reaction and someone didn't like the reaction that it got. End of story.

That would be me. ;)

yermom
6/26/2007, 10:08 AM
i think some of this goes with the title of the thread

Melo just doesn't understand people ;)

all this "disrepect" stuff seems a bit much though. do you really expect her to care that much about the shirt? it's like you think she should be offended that he just owns the shirt, or if he was wearing it at home. that's kinda silly

TUSooner
6/26/2007, 10:10 AM
***Not knowing a lot about the posters, this is the kind of issue that leads one to believe it's easy to identify the students from the parents who post here. Twenty five years ago I thought it was pretty cool for someone to wear a t-shirt with the word "F---" or some other word or phrase whose sole purpose was to shock.

Simply, people grow up. I don't see many elderly people wearing offensive t-shirts (save for college professors, daring anyone to challenge their First Amendment rights). In the meantime, the young ones who haven't reached a maturity level and a level of responsibility will continue to be bitch-slapped by society.

On that theme (and Dean's) this certain generation, and those who cater to them, remind me of a three-year-old who learned that you can make the grownups laugh by saying "poo-poo." That shtick gets old a lot faster than you do, and sooner than you realize.

yermom
6/26/2007, 10:11 AM
That would be me. ;)

*ahem*

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1941073&postcount=96

what, am i glass?

Fraggle145
6/26/2007, 10:11 AM
So basically after marinating on this for the night this is what I dont get. Why is it that the same people on here who love to spout off platitudes about america and the freedoms we have are first ones to want to restrict those freedoms around their values system and what they consider to be decent and moral?

It seems hypocritical to me. Basically it is saying "I am all for freedom of speech until somebody says something I dont agree with and if you dont think that way I am going to look down on you." Look the shirt is retarded and it is just to attract attention, but that doesnt excuse the other guy for being oppressive push his ideal system down Melo's bf's throat. He was a jerk and acting like a jack ***, and as Melo already stated if he would have been more polite her bf probably would have turned the shirt around without the police and the yelling etc. Funny how that guy gets of the hook for his transgressions just because he is part of the moral majority.

Why does everyone have to bow down to what "you" think is moral? And why does everyone who doesnt have children have to change their behavior for those that do? I hate children I am not going to lie, I cant stand them. And I cant stand the: "you need to have respect for my kids." Like they dont hear the word **** 80 times a day by the time they are in 6th grade. Give me a break. What about having some respect for those of us that dont have them and keep them at home.

Also calling out Melo on who she wants to date is just uncalled for, I am sure that everyone here has dated someone that has done something "inappropriate" in public. I just think it is crazy that he is obviously a terrible person because he wears **** on his shirt, what about making somebody happy, love or any of that good stuff?

I'm not asking anyone here to wear a shirt that has curse words or to like it, and even though I cant see myself ever wearing one I think you should respect my right to do so.

TUSooner
6/26/2007, 10:12 AM
****- hes my bf, not my child. Im not going to dictate to him what he can or cannot do.
And you call yourself a WOMAN !? :eek: :eek: :D

SteelClip49
6/26/2007, 10:12 AM
If the shirt posed no threat to anyone then there isn't a problem. It's only a personal problem with others who have a problem with it. There was an example like this in my Media Law book about wearing controversial clothing. It was apparel expressing a certain manner and the person wearing the apparel won the case. MELO, if the shirt was burnt orange and said that then there would be a problem (from a SOONER standpoint). If it was just a shirt, then there is no problem. It's all about a matter of taste and some of the oldies here need to realize that. There are worse shirts that are worn such as promoting drugs and violence. This shirt isn't the best of choices but it could be a lot worse. MELO, I favor you and your BF over those who were crying about it. There is probably a reason why the cop is retired; probably had too much of an anger problem.

F**K ya'll, I'm from Texas...obviously isn't the best choice in a public setting (unless it's gameday or in a bar setting or with friends at home, whatever), but it does not pose a threat to anyone and is freedom of expression.

You would be able to take this to court and win.

Melo, I am sorry you and your BF had to be treated with such disrespect like that.

Sooner in Tampa
6/26/2007, 10:13 AM
And I think you should respect my right to take my kids out in public and not have to subject them to foul language on a shirt in a resturant. There are certain places that this could be argued as acceptable, but NOT in a resturant frequented by children.

Fraggle145
6/26/2007, 10:16 AM
And I think you should respect my right to take my kids out in public and not have to subject them to foul language on a shirt in a resturant. There are certain places that this could be argued as acceptable, but NOT in a resturant frequented by children.

I think you should respect my right to say **** wherever I choose and take your kids someplace else where I dont have to bothered by them.

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 10:18 AM
So basically after marinating on this for the night this is what I dont get. Why is it that the same people on here who love to spout off platitudes about america and the freedoms we have are first ones to want to restrict those freedoms around their values system and what they consider to be decent and moral?

It seems hypocritical to me. Basically it is saying "I am all for freedom of speech until somebody says something I dont agree with and if you dont think that way I am going to look down on you." Look the shirt is retarded and it is just to attract attention, but that doesnt excuse the other guy for being oppressive push his ideal system down Melo's bf's throat. He was a jerk and acting like a jack ***, and as Melo already stated if he would have been more polite her bf probably would have turned the shirt around without the police and the yelling etc. Funny how that guy gets of the hook for his transgressions just because he is part of the moral majority.

Why does everyone have to bow down to what "you" think is moral? And why does everyone who doesnt have children have to change their behavior for those that do? I hate children I am not going to lie, I cant stand them. And I cant stand the: "you need to have respect for my kids." Like they dont hear the word **** 80 times a day by the time they are in 6th grade. Give me a break. What about having some respect for those of us that dont have them and keep them at home.

Also calling out Melo on who she wants to date is just uncalled for, I am sure that everyone here has dated someone that has done something "inappropriate" in public. I just think it is crazy that he is obviously a terrible person because he wears **** on his shirt, what about making somebody happy, love or any of that good stuff?

I'm not asking anyone here to wear a shirt that has curse words or to like it, and even though I cant see myself ever wearing one I think you should respect my right to do so.

That's just sad. :rolleyes:

SteelClip49
6/26/2007, 10:19 AM
It's only a problem if you make it one. It may be unacceptable and a bit childish to wear it but it is NON-THREATENING. Now parents, how many times have you cussed and your kids have heard it? The shirt poses no threat and is a comical view of expression. It's only a problem if people around make a big deal out of it such as the retired cop. Lawsuit, lawsuit.

PrideTrombone
6/26/2007, 10:20 AM
I think if public places would just institute a "no-*********" policy everyone would be better off. And I'd have to wait in line much less. :)

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 10:22 AM
I think if public places would just insittute a "no-*********" policy everyone would be better off. And I'd have to wait in line much less. :)

Yeah, 'cause they'd never allow you in it.

;)

Sooner in Tampa
6/26/2007, 10:22 AM
I think you should respect my right to say **** wherever I choose and take your kids someplace else where I dont have to bothered by them.:rolleyes: It's nice to know that it is your world...the rest of just pay rent.

PrideTrombone
6/26/2007, 10:23 AM
Yeah, 'cause they'd never allow you in it.

;)

Heh, well played.

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 10:24 AM

did the guy robbing you explain that your right to keep the presents wasn't more important than his right to take them?

Fraggle145
6/26/2007, 10:25 AM
That's just sad. :rolleyes:

Whatever :rolleyes: , why is it sad because it is what you do?

Unless you are going to make a real comment keep this carp to yourself.

yermom
6/26/2007, 10:25 AM
:rolleyes: It's nice to know that it is your world...the rest of just pay rent.

how is your viewpoint any different?

all of a sudden because someone's kids are there everyone is supposed to bend their world around yours?

Fraggle145
6/26/2007, 10:26 AM
:rolleyes: It's nice to know that it is your world...the rest of just pay rent.

Same could be said for your position.

VeeJay
6/26/2007, 10:26 AM

That's the most selfish post I have read in this thread.

The ex-cop was standing up for his right not to be offended. He has a right to take his family in a restaurant and not be offended by smart assery and *** hattery. The restaurant shouldn't have allowed the bf in the door wearing that. To me, that says something about the class of the restaurant.

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 10:27 AM
Whatever :rolleyes: , why is it sad because it is what you do?

Unless you are going to make a real comment keep this carp to yourself.

I don't fish for carp. And guess what I have a right to post anything I want. :D Really that is pretty funny that the guy that says anything should go in public is telling me what I should post on a message board.

yermom
6/26/2007, 10:30 AM

The ex-cop was standing up for his right not to be offended. He has a right to take his family in a restaurant and not be offended by smart assery and *** hattery. The restaurant shouldn't have allowed the bf in the door wearing that. To me, that says something about the class of the restaurant.

boo hoo

it's funny how if this was a guy putting up a cross or something the roles would be reversed

Fraggle145

I said it was up to the restaurant a long time ago, maybe like page 1?

And Melo's bf has a right to be an asshat so long as he isnt physically harming anyone.

Why is it so selfish? couldnt the same be said for those who want me to bend what I do for them and their kids?

sooner_born_1960
What's all the nonsense about a lawsuit? You don't have freedom of expression in a restaurant. The proprieter can decide on what's appropriate.

TUSooner
If the shirt posed no threat to anyone then there isn't a problem. It's only a personal problem with others who have a problem with it. There was an example like this in my Media Law book about wearing controversial clothing. It was apparel expressing a certain manner and the person wearing the apparel won the case. MELO, if the shirt was burnt orange and said that then there would be a problem (from a SOONER standpoint). If it was just a shirt, then there is no problem. It's all about a matter of taste and some of the oldies here need to realize that. There are worse shirts that are worn such as promoting drugs and violence. This shirt isn't the best of choices but it could be a lot worse. MELO, I favor you and your BF over those who were crying about it. There is probably a reason why the cop is retired; probably had too much of an anger problem.

F**K ya'll, I'm from Texas...obviously isn't the best choice in a public setting (unless it's gameday or in a bar setting or with friends at home, whatever), but it does not pose a threat to anyone and is freedom of expression.

You would be able to take this to court and win.

Melo, I am sorry you and your BF had to be treated with such disrespect like that.

We "oldies" DO realize that. The eternal sophomores of the world need to realize that we are just saying it's really POOR taste and a sign of gratuitous offensiveness for the sake of getting attention...lofty theorizing on freedom notwithstanding. Put a simpler way, it's not illegal, but it's rude. Rudeness does not make something a cause celebre unless you're an eternal sophomore.

Just because a damnfool CAN say something doesn't mean he should. Should melo's idgit bf be jailed? No. But if idgit bf wears stuff like that in public, he'd better expect some free speech back at him. And he'd better not cry about it.

Sooner in Tampa
6/26/2007, 10:31 AM
how is your viewpoint any different?

all of a sudden because someone's kids are there everyone is supposed to bend their world around yours?No, it is called common decency. It is called having respect for the youth that within in earshot. IF I said **** and someone told me that they really dislike the word, I would refrain from using it. It is called RESPECT, something that seems to be SERIOUSLY lacking in some people.

We spent Memorial Day weekend at a campground the contained 'hundreds' of University of Florida students hangin out have a VERY druken time...no problem what so ever. The thing that my wife and I commented on was that there were several occasions when some of the students would drop the f-bomb. If they happen to see we had kids...they were very appologetic about it. It was very classy. On occasions some of them would drop f-bombs one right after the other...and we would ask them to be considerate of the kids. GUESS WHAT, THEY WERE!!!!

They didn't take the jack *** mentality that it's all about them.

crawfish
6/26/2007, 10:31 AM
Wow...saw this thread starting last night and didn't get a chance to reply. I figured it'd be 2-3 pages by the time I got back this morning. :)

I agree with most of the fogeys here. Your bf is inviting such behavior by wearing the shirt. Wearing it to a family restaurant, you should expect something like that to happen.

I really don't like the lack of respect people have for each other. "It's just a word." Yeah. To you. It has connotations that offend quite a few people.

Fraggle145
6/26/2007, 10:32 AM
I don't fish for carp. And guess what I have a right to post anything I want. :D

carp was on purpose. people use it all over the board, but thanks for more english smack, I was messing with Melo when I did it in my original post. And you do have a right to post whatever you want within the rules of the board...

yermom
6/26/2007, 10:34 AM
No, it is called common decency. It is called having respect for the youth that within in earshot. IF I said **** and someone told me that they really dislike the word, I would refrain from using it. It is called RESPECT, something that seems to be SERIOUSLY lacking in some people.

We spent Memorial Day weekend at a campground the contained 'hundreds' of University of Florida students hangin out have a VERY druken time...no problem what so ever. The thing that my wife and I commented on was that there were several occasions when some of the students would drop the f-bomb. If they happen to see we had kids...they were very appologetic about it. It was very classy. On occasions some of them would drop f-bombs one right after the other...and we would ask them to be considerate of the kids. GUESS WHAT, THEY WERE!!!!

i'm just saying there are jackasses on both sides of most things

if you really don't want your kids to hear "****" maybe you should keep them at home all the time if it's that important.

SteelClip49
6/26/2007, 10:34 AM
VeeJay, you are soo off base. Others didn't have to agree with it and left it at that. But no, some retired pansy whiny cop had to make a big deal out of it. He made the situation worse. The cop is lucky he isn't going to be taken to court by this. The kids would be embarrassed to see their parent(s) lose their temper over something as minor as this.

Melo, your BF should stand tall after all this because he was not the one at fault.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 10:35 AM
This whole thing is ****ing stupid...

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 10:35 AM
VeeJay, you are soo off base. Others didn't have to agree with it and left it at that. But no, some retired pansy whiny cop had to make a big deal out of it. He made the situation worse. The cop is lucky he isn't going to be taken to court by this. The kids would be embarrassed to see their parent(s) lose their temper over something as minor as this.

Melo, your BF should stand tall after all this because he was not the one at fault.

you haven't posted in this thread without mentioning a lawsuit.

what, exactly, would be your cause of action?

Fraggle145
6/26/2007, 10:36 AM
No, it is called common decency. It is called having respect for the youth that within in earshot. IF I said **** and someone told me that they really dislike the word, I would refrain from using it. It is called RESPECT, something that seems to be SERIOUSLY lacking in some people.

But you were much more appropriate in your response and didnt start yelling and screaming and threaten to call the police at the beginning of the conversation

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 10:37 AM
carp was on purpose. people use it all over the board, but thanks for more english smack, I was messing with Melo when I did it in my original post. And you do have a right to post whatever you want within the rules of the board...

YW.

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 10:38 AM
:pop:

colleyvillesooner
me thinks the real dividing line on this is around 28-30....

SteelClip49
Also, there is a difference when saying F**K out loud and 2 of the letters being asteriked out when on a shirt.

Besides, the 2 missing letters could have been an A and R.

FARK Y'all, I'm from Texas.

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 10:39 AM
did the guy robbing you explain that your right to keep the presents wasn't more important than his right to take them?

seriously. just because you value personal property rights doesn't mean everybody has to, right?

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 10:39 AM
But you were much more appropriate in your response and didnt start yelling and screaming and threaten to call the police at the beginning of the conversation

And since we are just getting Melos side of the story how do we know that wasn't how their incident began?

Sooner in Tampa
6/26/2007, 10:40 AM
I think you need to re-read the first post...the dude didn't START off yelling. It became a difference of opinion and THEN the yelling started. The exact same thing would have happened in my situation if someone had told that they could talk how they wanted.

a man walked up to us and asked my bf to step outside, due to the shirt he was wearing. He explained that it was offensive and that he didnt want the wrong impression being given to his two daughters, one of them looked about 12 and the other maybe 14, at oldest. The shirt said 'F**k yall Im from Texas', which I understand isnt exactly proper, but it IS just a word.

Anyways. The bf told the man that he wasnt doing anything wrong, it was just a shirt, and that the other family was leaving to begin with. The man started yelling,

yermom
6/26/2007, 10:41 AM
i assumed that the asterisks were just to show us what word she meant instead of just seeing ****

i don't think they were on the shirt... not the way i've been reading this

SteelClip49
6/26/2007, 10:42 AM
Verbal abuse in public and being "forced" to do something. That may sound minor and pointless but you would be surprised on some things that have been taken to court over simple little matters like this.

Did the restaurant have a problem with it? All I have seen is a retired cop get his panties in a wad over it.

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 10:42 AM
Also, there is a difference when saying F**K out loud and 2 of the letters being asteriked out when on a shirt.

Besides, the 2 missing letters could have been an A and R.

FARK Y'all, I'm from Texas.

Were the letters asteriked out? I think Melo just did that so the whole word wouldn't look like **** but I might be wrong.

Turd_Ferguson
6/26/2007, 10:43 AM
Why is it so selfish? couldnt the same be said for those who want me to bend what I do for them and their kids?

It's called respect. I'm not understanding what you don't understand about respect. What if the dumb *** wore a shirt with a picture of a vaginer on it? Would a Dad not have the right to wear his *** out for displaying that in front of his kid's?

Dis-respect!! This is where our future is heading. Get used to it I guess.

Sooner24
i assumed that the asterisks were just to show us what word she meant instead of just seeing ****

i don't think they were on the shirt... not the way i've been reading this

You beat me to it. :P

Fraggle145
seriously. just because you value personal property rights doesn't mean everybody has to, right?

It does if they are protected by the law. I hope it never happens to you then I doubt you will think that this is so funny.

Pricetag
6/26/2007, 10:44 AM
Look the shirt is retarded and it is just to attract attention, but that doesnt excuse the other guy for being oppressive push his ideal system down Melo's bf's throat. He was a jerk and acting like a jack ***, and as Melo already stated if he would have been more polite her bf probably would have turned the shirt around without the police and the yelling etc. Funny how that guy gets of the hook for his transgressions just because he is part of the moral majority.
Okay, if I read it correctly, the man didn't begin the whole thing by being a "jerk and acting like a jack ***." The boy did that by stepping out in the shirt in the first place. At any rate, it sounds to me (and I'm only going by what she wrote in the original post) like the man did attempt to approach the situation in a rational manner.

The boy responded by saying that he was doing nothing wrong. If we're able to vilify the man and read jerk and jack *** into his behavior, then I'm going to assume that the boy responded with a certain amount of indignance typical of kids his age, especially ones who would wear a shirt like that in public. This set the man off. It doesn't excuse his behavior, but doesn't make him the bad guy, either.

Regarding the "moral majority" reference, that phrase carries quite a bit of baggage. This isn't the religious right trying to inflict its will here. This is a societal norm, an opinion that such a vast majority of people share as to leave the opposition without a leg to stand on.

It isn't just the word "****," either. It's the phrase "**** you," which increases the offense exponentially.

VeeJay
6/26/2007, 10:45 AM

Heh. Nice try.

TUSooner
6/26/2007, 10:45 AM

Stand tall for saying "f*ck" on a tee-shirt in public?
Wow.
Civility may not be dead, but it's coughing up blood!

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 10:46 AM
Verbal abuse in public and being "forced" to do something. That may sound minor and pointless but you would be surprised on some things that have been taken to court over simple little matters like this.

Did the restaurant have a problem with it? All I have seen is a retired cop get his panties in a wad over it.

I am thinking about suing my dry cleaner 54 million dollars for losing my F**k Ya'll I'm from Oklahoma shirt.

Fraggle145
It's called respect. I'm not understanding what you don't understand about respect. What if the dumb *** wore a shirt with a picture of a vaginer on it? Would a Dad not have the right to wear his *** out for displaying that in front of his kid's?

Dis-respect!! This is where our future is heading. Get used to it I guess.

Or the dad could show some respect and ask him nicely to turn his shirt inside out or he could take his kids someplace else.

Look if you want freedom of speech then you are going to have to realize that some people are not very smart or responsible with speech, but it is still protected even though it may be stupid.

mdklatt

That has nothing to do with this discussion. There is a legal difference between being robbed and being offended. There is no tangible harm in being offended.

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 10:47 AM
It does if they are protected by the law. I hope it never happens to you then I doubt you will think that this is so funny.

i don't think it's funny. i think it's terrible.

i'm pretty sure that i am protected, by law, from people using profanity in public.

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 10:50 AM

no i wouldn't be surprised. see last night's evening news about the judge.

hell yea, if life doesn't work out the way you hoped it would, sue somebody!!!!

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 10:52 AM
That has nothing to do with this discussion. There is a legal difference between being robbed and being offended. There is no tangible harm in being offended.

i thought they were both against the law?

the relevance is the idea that each individual is allowed to determine right and wrong.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/26/2007, 10:52 AM
Right to this...freedom of that...moral this...imposing that...

Some things you should shouldn't do...simply because you shouldn't.

Commmon sense and all.

Turd_Ferguson
6/26/2007, 10:54 AM

Commmon sense and all.
Concur

JohnnyMack
6/26/2007, 10:54 AM
Why does everyone have to bow down to what "you" think is moral? And why does everyone who doesnt have children have to change their behavior for those that do? I hate children I am not going to lie, I cant stand them.

People who don't like kids must have never been one themselves.

I hate it when people say they don't like kids. It's such a moronic statement. You think you weren't a snot nosed little twerp that was drug around to restaurants and malls and whatnot? You just emerged as a angst ridden teenager and skipped childhood?

You're acting like a whiny little *********. Grow up.

Viking Kitten
6/26/2007, 10:55 AM
SRSLY.

If you don't want to be confronted, don't wear a confrontational T-shirt.

Pricetag
6/26/2007, 10:56 AM
I'd like to add that while I side with the fogeys in this argument, I don't think society is lost.

I had a shirt back in my late teens/early twenties that featured a chicken and a cat squaring off, with the cat calling the chicken a chicken, and the chicken calling the cat a p***y. I thought it was sooooooooo amusing and clever. I even had my eye on a shirt at Starship that said "F*** this s***." Never pulled the trigger on that one, but, the tendency was there.

I grew up, and am fine now. Melo will, too, and so will boyfriend. Like someone else already said, they will, or will continue to be "bitch slapped by society."

achiro

I hate it when people say they don't like kids. It's such a moronic statement. You think you weren't a snot nosed little twerp that was drug around to restaurants and malls and whatnot? You just emerged as a angst ridden teenager and skipped childhood?

spek! :D

Sooner24

He didn't say he didn't like kids he said he hated kids.

Mongo
6/26/2007, 10:57 AM

So have you taken all of your "I love the c*ck" shirts to goodwill since you are a father?:D

JohnnyMack
6/26/2007, 10:57 AM
So have you taken all of your "I love the c*ck" shirts to goodwill since you are a father?:D

I gave them to your mom.

toast
6/26/2007, 10:58 AM

Commmon sense and all.

Nice.

Also, it's refreshing to see others who appreciate overall decency and respect.

Sooner24
6/26/2007, 10:58 AM

Spek!

Mongo
6/26/2007, 10:59 AM
I gave them to your mom.

At least she knows better not to wear them in public

Sooner in Tampa
6/26/2007, 11:00 AM

You're acting like a whiny little *********. Grow up.Very well put!

toast
Also, I don't think I saw this in the previous 11 pages and please forgive me if I'm wrong, but:

this should have been a pole

Sooner in Tampa
At least she knows better not to wear them in public:D :D Well played.

dolemitesooner
6/26/2007, 11:03 AM
I think your bf and the man are both stupid they are both to blame for a scene being caused.

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 11:03 AM
I'd like to add that while I side with the fogeys in this argument, I don't think society is lost.

I had a shirt back in my late teens/early twenties that featured a chicken and a cat squaring off, with the cat calling the chicken a chicken, and the chicken calling the cat a p***y. I thought it was sooooooooo amusing and clever. I even had my eye on a shirt at Starship that said "F*** this s***." Never pulled the trigger on that one, but, the tendency was there.

I grew up, and am fine now. Melo will, too, and so will boyfriend. Like someone else already said, they will, or will continue to be "bitch slapped by society."

i went to padre my senior year. i bought about 8 tshirts laced with all sorts of vulgarity. my favorite was the one that showed the iguanas in about 30 different sex positions. i spent over $100 on the shirts. my mom found them and threw them all in the trash.

Fraggle145
6/26/2007, 11:11 AM

Give it a rest. Ya I was a kid. That doesn't mean I have to like them. And I am not a teenager either. You're acting like a an crabby old fart. Loosen up.

The other thing I love that just because I defend somebodies right to be a dumb ***, makes me a dumb ***. I think the shirt is stupid, which is I have said throughout the thread. I do think it is classless and doesnt show respect that is not the issue for me.

The issue for me is how hypocritical everyone is on moral issues. So long as the freedom of speech fits your standard its okay. Its just ridiculous, you want respect for your position, but you refuse to respect the rights of the people that dont fit your standards. Whatever, I'm done with this.

Fraggle145
6/26/2007, 11:13 AM
And how hypocritical is it that what gets respect around here is calling me a whiny little *********.... glad thats the respect I am trying to earn. :rolleyes:

Okay now I am done.

OCUDad
6/26/2007, 11:17 AM
Whatever, I'm done with this.

Okay now I am done.
Promises, promises. :rolleyes:

frankensooner
6/26/2007, 11:19 AM
I can picture Dean wearing a "Free Mustashe Rides" shirt back in the day.

Beef
6/26/2007, 11:22 AM
Would it have made a difference if everytime someone looked at Melo's bf, he said "**** y'all, I'm from Texas"?

mdklatt
6/26/2007, 11:23 AM
i thought they were both against the law?

They are? That's news to me.

the relevance is the idea that each individual is allowed to determine right and wrong.

That's still not the same thing. Offending somebody is no way, no how in the same league of being wrong as stealing from them.

MamaMia
6/26/2007, 11:27 AM
Or the dad could show some respect and ask him nicely to turn his shirt inside out or he could take his kids someplace else.

Look if you want freedom of speech then you are going to have to realize that some people are not very smart or responsible with speech, but it is still protected even though it may be stupid. Yes, I agree with you that the boy has the right to wear the shirt but only in places where less people would be shocked than not. The reason being is that the general public has a right to not be subjected to obscenity in certain settings. A family restaurant would certainly be one of those settings because of the implications of that particular venue.

What I don't think you understand is that the shirt really has nothing at all to do with his right to free speech or free expression because over the years certain limitations have been made on both. These limitations have been included in our laws prohibiting obscenity in certain settings because of the general publics right to not have to be subjected to obscenity in certain venues. The majority of us would not expect to see that type of obscene language on a shirt in a family atmosphere, therefore the safety level one should feel to not be subjected to that type of language in that particular setting supersedes his right to be obscene. :D

Tailwind
6/26/2007, 11:33 AM
Yes, I agree with you that the boy has the right to wear the shirt but only in places where less people would be shocked that not. The reason being is that the general public has a right to not be subjected to obscenity in certain settings. A family restaurant would certainly be one of those settings because of the implications of that particular venue.

What I don't think you understand is that the shirt really has nothing at all to do with his right to free speech or free expression because over the years certain limitations have been made on both. These limitations have been included in our laws prohibiting obscenity in certain settings because of the general publics right to not have to be subjected to obscenity in certain venues. The majority of us would not expect to see that type of obscene language on a shirt in a family atmosphere, therefore the safety level one should feel to not be subjected to that type of language in that particular setting supersedes his right to be obscene.
What the f*** did you just say?:confused: