jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 07:26 PM
dunno, the article doesnt say

SapulpaSooner
6/25/2007, 08:05 PM
sad news

Scott D
6/25/2007, 08:08 PM
police only saying that the family wasn't shot...kind of an odd statement.

Jerk
6/25/2007, 08:09 PM
police only saying that the family wasn't shot...kind of an odd statement.

Yeah. Thank goodness they weren't killed with a deadly weapon.

Scott D
6/25/2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah. Thank goodness they weren't killed with a deadly weapon.

mmm'kay. I just thought it was an odd statement to stress that they weren't shot. Then again, I don't know what the climate is like in Atlanta in regards to crime right now.

Jerk
6/25/2007, 08:18 PM
mmm'kay. I just thought it was an odd statement to stress that they weren't shot. Then again, I don't know what the climate is like in Atlanta in regards to crime right now.
It was meant as a jab at the media, not you.

eta - "cops" said it. I'm just as puzzled as you are.

Sooner24
6/25/2007, 08:23 PM
FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. – WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a homicide.
Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department said the three were found at their home about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

Looks like murder. Sad deal.

Czar Soonerov
6/25/2007, 08:33 PM
Update: Apparently, some sources are reporting that Benoit called in to WWE on Sunday and said he would be unable to make it to the scheduled event because his family was ill and they were spitting up blood. It has also since been confirmed that Beniot was not shot to death.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/06/25/chris-benoit-and-family-found-dead/

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 08:36 PM
he was supposed to appear in an event the nite before but left saying he had a family emergency to tend too

sounds like a weird deal for sure

OUTromBoNado
6/25/2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, NormanPride and Badger invited me over to watch the Vengeance PPV last night. He was supposed to wrestle C.M. Punk for the ECW World Title. When their match came up, they announced Nitro "would be Chris Benoit's replacement." The play-by-play guys then said that Benoit was not present for "personal reasons." I remarked that either he walked out of the story line (although there was really a storyline) or that there was a family emergency.

I actually met Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Perry Saturn, and Dean Malenko when they made a special appearence at the Wal-Mart in Sapulpa. This was about 2 weeks before they left WCW for WWE. I have a picture that all four of them signed. Benoit and Guerrero were always two of my favorites.

John Kochtoston
6/25/2007, 09:38 PM
Sad and strange at the same time. At least the media that blows this story all out of proportion will be talking about a dude that did something with his life, unlike Paris Hilton.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2007, 10:07 PM
Being reported as a murder/suicide. Sad deal.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286673,00.html

NormanPride
6/25/2007, 10:09 PM
Terrible. The guy was one of my favorites, but I think the saddest story is his two surviving children. Thank the Lord they're okay, but definite prayers their way to ease their loss. :(

RacerX
6/26/2007, 12:02 AM
Being reported as a murder/suicide. Sad deal.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286673,00.html

What a stupid ****er.

John Kochtoston
6/26/2007, 12:10 AM
Note to hot chicks: Don't marry wrestlers.

Sincerely,
http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/pictures/elizabeth3.jpg

http://rfis1.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/woman160.jpg

oumartin
6/26/2007, 12:16 AM
ah, Miss Elizabeth! We sure do miss you.

I sure hope Chris dent kill his family.

OU4LIFE
6/26/2007, 07:19 AM
looks like it's nearly confirmed....the canadian went crazy and offed his family.

man, you really gotta be off center for something like that.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 07:33 AM
If that's true, that 3 hour tribute wasn't really necessary...

OU4LIFE
6/26/2007, 08:09 AM
ya, it looks pretty dumb now doesn't it.

OU4LIFE
6/26/2007, 08:10 AM
"I just wanted to say, that Chris was a man of integrity and I had nothing but respect for him'

*ouch*

pb4ou
6/26/2007, 08:16 AM
I've never heard of him, until now.

Still pretty tragic.

pb4ou
6/26/2007, 08:17 AM
BTW, whatever happened to Elizabeth?

C&CDean
6/26/2007, 08:18 AM
People who live fantasy lives...

TexasLidig8r
6/26/2007, 08:33 AM
People who live fantasy lives...

Like.. Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan?

(and Sic??) :O Sorry Sic.. I had to! :D

usmc-sooner
6/26/2007, 08:36 AM
sounds like roid rage

Beef
6/26/2007, 09:00 AM
If that's true, that 3 hour tribute was in really poor taste...
And pretty offensive to his wife's family.

C&CDean
6/26/2007, 09:04 AM
Guys, the whole wrasslin' industry is distasteful and offensive. It's only survived this long because of all the slobbering morons who dig it.

usmc-sooner
6/26/2007, 09:06 AM
and some people think it's real.

jk the sooner fan
6/26/2007, 09:08 AM
you mean its not?

one of the guys on the radio this morning said 'he was a really good wrestler"

not sure i understand that, if its all staged, fake, etc etc...dont you mean "he's a really good performer"

i've never understood the attraction to the whole pro wrestling thing

C&CDean
6/26/2007, 10:04 AM
you mean its not?

one of the guys on the radio this morning said 'he was a really good wrestler"

not sure i understand that, if its all staged, fake, etc etc...dont you mean "he's a really good performer"

i've never understood the attraction to the whole pro wrestling thing

The attraction is this - weenis men who couldn't fight their way out of a damp ****** bag love wrasslin'. They can be tough guys vicariously through some boneheaded behemoth. I believe the guys are really great athletes and many are great actors, but the people who follow/love this tripe need some serious introspection.

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 10:24 AM
The attraction is this - weenis men who couldn't fight their way out of a damp ****** bag love wrasslin'. They can be tough guys vicariously through some boneheaded behemoth. I believe the guys are really great athletes and many are great actors, but the people who follow/love this tripe need some serious introspection.

Meh. I like watching guys fly around and flip people over their heads. It's like an acrobatics show with some small amount of context and a bunch of funny posturing. If this is so bad, why do people like watching mixed martial arts or boxing?

soonervegas
6/26/2007, 10:31 AM
I watch WWE and the main reason is that many times the story lines and real life issues merge. It is really like watching a car wreck.....an entertaining one. That and there isn't crap on on Monday nights.....at least until MNF.

I do agree that the people running around wearing T-shirts and ordering Pay Per View need to reevaluate things. These guys are some of the most flawed individuals on the planet.

WWE is a really marginal soap opera. But like I said, best thing going on Monday nights until MNF.

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 10:31 AM
. If this is so bad, why do people like watching mixed martial arts or boxing?

mostly because the outcome is not predetermined?

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 10:34 AM

If it's just for the surprise finish, why not watch poker? Why watch grown men beat the ever-loving **** out of each other?

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 10:37 AM
If it's just for the surprise finish, why not watch poker? Why watch grown men beat the ever-loving **** out of each other?

if it's for the showmanship and "story line merging with real life issues", why not watch Days of our Lives?

rasslin' is much more like a soap opera than it is like boxing.

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 10:43 AM
if it's for the showmanship and "story line merging with real life issues", why not watch Days of our Lives?

rasslin' is much more like a soap opera than it is like boxing.

First of all, that wasn't me that said that. :D Second of all, Days of our Lives doesn't have people throwing other people through tables. It also doesn't have the funny posturing I mentioned. I have a soft spot for ad-lib I guess.

slickdawg
6/26/2007, 10:44 AM
the message here? NEVAR MESS WITH A NINJA!

TexasLidig8r
6/26/2007, 11:08 AM
Guys, the whole wrasslin' industry is distasteful and offensive. It's only survived this long because of all the slobbering morons who dig it.

Rasslin is merely "opera for the common man." They both share similarities... plots and storylines often times involving betrayal and/or good vs. evil, costuming, music, sometimes comedy, more often than not tragedy, love interests, and grand finales designed to evoke deep emotions of some sort.

SoonerAcesUp
6/26/2007, 11:44 AM

Yeah I was wondering the same thing????

Scott D
6/26/2007, 11:45 AM

She died in 2003.

On May 1, 2003 in Marietta, Georgia, Larry Pfohl, aka Lex Luger, called 9-1-1 from his home and reported that Elizabeth was not breathing. She did not respond to mouth to mouth resuscitation, and paramedics rushed her to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead at age 42. (Luger's phone call was later aired on an episode of WWE Confidential.)

Police launched an investigation. Two weeks prior to her death, Lex Luger had been arrested on charges of domestic violence. In the home he and Hulette shared, police found pills of hydrocodone and alprazolam (Xanax), as well as anabolic steroids, testosterone, and saizen. The subsequent autopsy showed that Hulette died of an accidental drug overdose, having ingested some of the medications with vodka. Though Luger was cleared of any wrongdoing in connection with her death, he was charged with felony drug charges.

In her honor, a slideshow of her career was shown on WWE SmackDown!.

While some websites and news sources have reported her being buried somewhere in Georgia, her final resting place is in Frankfort, Kentucky, at the Frankfort Cemetery next to her grandparents, the Sorgs.

Scott D
6/26/2007, 11:56 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA that was a funny retort.

Boxing has been fixed in the past and will be fixed again in the future. The slow death it's dying is the result of it.

As for MMA, the allegations have been out there for years that some of those matches (UFC specifically) have been fixed in the past to build interest in the "league".

C&CDean
6/26/2007, 11:58 AM
Rasslin is merely "opera for the common man." They both share similarities... plots and storylines often times involving betrayal and/or good vs. evil, costuming, music, sometimes comedy, more often than not tragedy, love interests, and grand finales designed to evoke deep emotions of some sort.

That just might be the gayest thing you've ever posted on this board Lid. And that is saying something.

yermom
6/26/2007, 12:02 PM
well, it does prove that wrestling is gay

but we already knew that ;)

TexasLidig8r
6/26/2007, 12:02 PM
That just might be the gayest thing you've ever posted on this board Lid. And that is saying something.

ghey, gay or not paisan... it is nonetheless... the truth.

Can you handle the truth? :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/26/2007, 12:08 PM
I like how when Rae Carruth went on his killing spree...there was people posting about "how this was to be expected from a football player...and from those inbred hillybilly yokels who are dumb enough to drive around with flags of their team from their window(or even so bad as to get their license plate made with their football team..what a bunch of losers). I like how when that Blake Actor guy killed his wife...there was a person posting about "How this was to be expected from a narcissistic and liberal Hollywood, where these morans who actually pay money to see something acted by other people...I mean seriously IF you really wanted to see D-Day, you should have signed up not watch some ***** *** Saving Private Ryan...I mean there is people out there who go to a booth give the guy money to see something completely staged!!" My point is that it just doesn't seem appropriate to broad bush a LARGE portion of our population as idiots because they like something that has been HUGELY popular since as far back as the 1920's. And as for calling Benoit a wrestler...do you think ANY one even on OsU's wrestling team could have grappled or traded holds with Benoit...not likely, no more than they could last more than 20 seconds with Kurt Angle. I just get frustated when people talk **** about wrestling without knowing anything about the people. No one gets on here and post the story of how Mick Foley met this kid with Cancer who wanted to be a wrestler so Mick arranged it with Vince McMahon that he would be introduced in front of the whole crowd. What you don't hear about is that the kid asked to meet his 5 favorite wrestlers....every single person on the roster came and met this kid. You don't hear about how the kid was wheel chair bound so he couldn't even get in the ring and how Batista carried the kid out to the ring so he could have 80,000 people chanting his name. I guess they are all *******s though...

yermom
6/26/2007, 12:12 PM
sounds like someone needs to do some introspection ;)

IT'S REAL TO ME, DAMMIT!

Penguin
6/26/2007, 12:13 PM
They reported on the news that Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his kid sometime this weekend.

He hung himself in his gym on Monday.

sooner_born_1960
6/26/2007, 12:14 PM
I've never seen the guy, but could steroids be involved?

oumartin
6/26/2007, 12:21 PM
bash on wrasslin' all you want but don't forget there was is a wife and child also dead. Its sad.

Osce0la
6/26/2007, 12:21 PM
They reported on the news that Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his kid sometime this weekend.

He hung himself in his gym on Monday.
Wow...

Why take out the other 2? If you want to go then go hang yourself, but why kill your wife and child as well?

r5TPsooner
6/26/2007, 12:23 PM
Wow...

Why take out the other 2? If you want to go then go hang yourself, but why kill your wife and child as well?

I believe it's referred to as being scared and a coward?

Osce0la
6/26/2007, 12:29 PM
I believe it's referred to as being scared and a coward?
As some stated earlier, it seems as though the tribute was a bad idea, not that they had any way of knowing at that point...

Turd_Ferguson
6/26/2007, 12:41 PM
I like how when Rae Carruth went on his killing spree...there was people posting about "how this was to be expected from a football player...and from those inbred hillybilly yokels who are dumb enough to drive around with flags of their team from their window(or even so bad as to get their license plate made with their football team..what a bunch of losers). I like how when that Blake Actor guy killed his wife...there was a person posting about "How this was to be expected from a narcissistic and liberal Hollywood, where these morans who actually pay money to see something acted by other people...I mean seriously IF you really wanted to see D-Day, you should have signed up not watch some ***** *** Saving Private Ryan...I mean there is people out there who go to a booth give the guy money to see something completely staged!!" My point is that it just doesn't seem appropriate to broad bush a LARGE portion of our population as idiots because they like something that has been HUGELY popular since as far back as the 1920's. And as for calling Benoit a wrestler...do you think ANY one even on OsU's wrestling team could have grappled or traded holds with Benoit...not likely, no more than they could last more than 20 seconds with Kurt Angle. I just get frustated when people talk **** about wrestling without knowing anything about the people. No one gets on here and post the story of how Mick Foley met this kid with Cancer who wanted to be a wrestler so Mick arranged it with Vince McMahon that he would be introduced in front of the whole crowd. What you don't hear about is that the kid asked to meet his 5 favorite wrestlers....every single person on the roster came and met this kid. You don't hear about how the kid was wheel chair bound so he couldn't even get in the ring and how Batista carried the kid out to the ring so he could have 80,000 people chanting his name. I guess they are all *******s though...
Your ****t'n us, right?

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/26/2007, 01:00 PM
I am not ****ting you on any level whatsoever. I have been watching wrestling since I was 5 years old. My biggest thing I have a problem with is that a portion of people bash these people without understanding anything about wrestling. I love OU...I mean absolutely love OU. I love movies...absolutely get one hundred percent excited about Pirates of the Caribbean, can't wait to watch John McClane whoop some *** tomorrow...can't wait for Harry Potter movie, and all these other movies. I love wrestling, I know it isn't real but in some small sense I have grown up with most of these guys. There is a small part of me that still gets tingles when Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Undertaker and certain people's music hits. There is a part of me that absolutely cherishes the fact that people like Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, and other were able to beat their demons of drug use and become the fathers and Christians(in those two cases) that they always could have been. It's the same part of me that wanted Dusty Dvoracek to overcome his problems. I guess I am too idealistic in some sense, I mean I still am hoping that PacMan Jones at some point before he is dead in the next 5 years realizes he was given a gift. Every night I pray for my family, and it may seem pathetic but part of me prays for people like Gregory Helms who is having to deal with a broken neck(a broken neck he got while fake wrestling). I just consider alot of these wrestlers like extended family in some sense. That may be pathetic but that is just what it is.

John Kochtoston
6/26/2007, 01:16 PM

As a long-time and current wrestling fan, I agree with many of your points.
But Benoit would have been lit up in a real match with a top NCAA wrestler. Just because he could make it look good doesn't mean he could actually wrestle. Guys like Angle, Charlie Hass, Shelton Benjamin and a few others around today could probably legitimately wipe out just about anyone. Benoit and others from the Dungeon? Not so much, despite what they'd like you to believe.

oumartin
6/26/2007, 02:17 PM
foxnews live news conference right now

OUTromBoNado
6/26/2007, 02:22 PM
If that's true, that 3 hour tribute wasn't really necessary...

And pretty offensive to his wife's family.

In the WWE's defense, they probably didn't know the full details surrounding the tragedy when they decided to air the tribute. Keep in mind, this was a 3-hour show that took place 4 hours after they were notified the by the police that the family was dead. They probably got more details during the show, but by then it was too late.

I'm just speculating here, and I probably shouldn't. It's never good to speculate in cases like this.

Scott D
6/26/2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it's not like they knew much more than them being dead at that point. Since basically we're all finding out everything today the same can be assumed with them.

OUTromBoNado
6/26/2007, 02:29 PM
foxnews live news conference right now

This is some bizarre sh!t.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 02:31 PM
Here's an idea...wait. Wait 24 hours before doing any kind of tribute show. Especially if people were getting weird enough text messages that the WWE called the police to go check it out...

Beef
6/26/2007, 02:31 PM
I would have erred on the side of caution just knowing that a man, his wife and child were all dead. A tribute could have been done a week later. I guess the WWE isn't known for caution, though.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 02:34 PM
Also, if they cancel RAW and don't air anything, do they lose that ad revenue?

Beef
6/26/2007, 02:36 PM
Here's an idea...wait. Wait 24 hours before doing any kind of tribute show. Especially if people were getting weird enough text messages that the WWE called the police to go check it out...
But then they couldn't have milked the moment. I'm guessing a tribute would generate higher ratings than a re-run.

oumartin
6/26/2007, 02:41 PM
now wonder how stupid Vince looks fakin' his own death. That man is a joke and if steroids played a part he looks more guilty for pushing that crap under the rug

OUTromBoNado
6/26/2007, 02:51 PM
That was the problem. Due to the "Vince's death" storyline, which is tasteless in itself, there wasn't much that they could do with the show. With the strange set of events, the decided to cancel. Now, what are they supposed to do for those 3 hours?

I'm glad it's not me sitting in the hot seat having to make those decisions on-the-fly.

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 02:56 PM
now wonder how stupid Vince looks fakin' his own death.

wha? soap. opera.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 03:04 PM
Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son. Steroid abuse has been linked to depression, paranoia, and aggressive behavior or angry outbursts known as "roid rage."

"We don't know yet. That's one of the things we'll be looking at," said Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard. He said test results may not be back for weeks.

Looks like we've got an early scapegoat.

Like Rock said: Whatever happened to crazy?

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 03:19 PM
Little new information:

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself by the pulley of a weightlifting machine, authorities said Tuesday.
Authorities are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Chris Benoit, above, his wife and child.

Investigators also found prescription anabolic steroids in the house, Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department. He would not comment on Benoit's state of mind or possible motive.

Autopsies showed all three died of asphyxiation, Pope said.

Benoit's wife, 43-year-old Nancy, was killed Friday in an upstairs family room, her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle, Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said.

The son, Daniel, was likely killed late Saturday or early Sunday, the body found in his bed, Ballard said.

Creeeeepy...

Beef
6/26/2007, 03:27 PM
I can't wait to see the NFL's tribute to OJ and Rae Carruth.

JohnnyMack
6/26/2007, 03:47 PM
I am not ****ting you on any level whatsoever. I have been watching wrestling since I was 5 years old. My biggest thing I have a problem with is that a portion of people bash these people without understanding anything about wrestling. I love OU...I mean absolutely love OU. I love movies...absolutely get one hundred percent excited about Pirates of the Caribbean, can't wait to watch John McClane whoop some *** tomorrow...can't wait for Harry Potter movie, and all these other movies. I love wrestling, I know it isn't real but in some small sense I have grown up with most of these guys. There is a small part of me that still gets tingles when Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, the Undertaker and certain people's music hits. There is a part of me that absolutely cherishes the fact that people like Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, and other were able to beat their demons of drug use and become the fathers and Christians(in those two cases) that they always could have been. It's the same part of me that wanted Dusty Dvoracek to overcome his problems. I guess I am too idealistic in some sense, I mean I still am hoping that PacMan Jones at some point before he is dead in the next 5 years realizes he was given a gift. Every night I pray for my family, and it may seem pathetic but part of me prays for people like Gregory Helms who is having to deal with a broken neck(a broken neck he got while fake wrestling). I just consider alot of these wrestlers like extended family in some sense. That may be pathetic but that is just what it is.

We know, we know, it's still real to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6pRbwu4Pf0

;)

Scott D
6/26/2007, 04:07 PM
I can't wait to see the NFL's tribute to OJ and Rae Carruth.

meh, I think the real difference here, is that he killed himself as well whereas OJ and Carruth are still alive. Because of his death, and the lack of any sort of note can lead to the thought that it was something other than a murder suicide situation. Regardless, the WWE (who will be blamed far and wide for the next week or so by the media for this) was really put in a no win situation. They try to make the show go on as normal they get blasted (ala the Owen Hart death). If they do what they ended up deciding to do last night making it a tribute to the career of a performer (before anyone outside of the investigators have reason to believe it was a murder suicide situation) they get blasted later on because they are commemorating someone who killed his family. They'll get blasted now because of the presence of steroids in the home (acquired legally apparently).

Now, if say a current NFL star who hasn't gotten into any trouble off the field all of a sudden kills his family and then himself the day before a game we'll see how the NFL will handle it.

soonerbrat
6/26/2007, 04:09 PM

I don't have the attention span to read all that.

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 04:10 PM
I don't have the attention span to read all that.

what did you say?

Scott D
6/26/2007, 04:10 PM
Little new information:

Creeeeepy...

what's creepy colley, besides the bibles next to each body are the reports that those text messages he apparently sent to people were various scripture verses. It'll likely end up via toxicology that he had in addition to the steroids in his system at least one or two types of pain killers and possibly alcohol. I think it's more realistic that he might have been in a deluded paranoid state brought on by "roid rage" long enough to kill both his wife and child, and as it wore off the realization of what he did led to him killing himself.

Beef
6/26/2007, 04:14 PM
I'm just blasting the greed of Vince McMahon. I think the proper call with the information they had would have been to show "Roadhouse" and bite the bullet financially. Of course, Vince didn't become a billionaire or whatever he is by always doing the "proper" thing.

Hamhock
6/26/2007, 04:15 PM
I'm just blasting the greed of Vince McMahon. I think the proper call with the information they had would have been to show "Roadhouse" and bite the bullet financially. Of course, Vince didn't become a billionaire or whatever he is by always doing the "proper" thing.

wha? i thought he was dead too?

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 04:16 PM
I woulda watched Roadhouse...

Scott D
6/26/2007, 04:17 PM

Not defending McMahon here, but some of the onus would have had to go on the USA Network as well. They could have shown more Law & Order reruns or Monk reruns in the time slot as well.

Scott D
6/26/2007, 04:18 PM
I woulda watched Roadhouse...

yes, but you also "allegedly" like to dress up in women's clothing and prance about singing "I'm a little teapot", so this comes as a surprise to no one outside of SicEm. ;)

Beef
6/26/2007, 04:21 PM
Not defending McMahon here, but some of the onus would have had to go on the USA Network as well. They could have shown more Law & Order reruns or Monk reruns in the time slot as well.
I completely agree. All parties made a knee-jerk decision that I'm pretty sure they're regretting today.

And I probably would have switched between the Ranger game and Roadhouse.:O

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 04:27 PM
yes, but you also "allegedly" like to dress up in women's clothing and prance about singing "I'm a little teapot", so this comes as a surprise to no one outside of SicEm. ;)

Hey, just cause Stan's gone, I ain't your new whipping boy...You can share Sic Em with Bri. :D

soonerbrat
6/26/2007, 04:32 PM
Hey, just cause Stan's gone, I ain't your new whipping boy...You can share Sic Em with Bri. :D

i don't think bri likes to share.

Scott D
6/26/2007, 04:44 PM

aww coffeyville I was pickin' on you before then. :D

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 04:45 PM
:mad:

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 05:04 PM
With the recent deaths in the business, combined with the backlash they got when someone really died while this fake death stuff was going on with McMahon, I'm not surprised they held a tribute right off the bat. Sure it looks bad, but they didn't know that the guy offed his family...

Okay, say a new source comes out with solid proof that Pat Tillman had defected and was killed while working for the bad guys. Do we get mad at the NFL for canonizing the dude previously? Of course not. Why get mad at the WWE for doing what they thought would best honor a member of their community? I also doubt McMahon was being greedy as well. If he wanted money, he wouldn't have kicked everyone out of the arena and run a thrown-together tribute for 3 hours.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 05:18 PM
Okay, say a new source comes out with solid proof that Pat Tillman had defected and was killed while working for the bad guys. Do we get mad at the NFL for canonizing the dude previously? Of course not. Why get mad at the WWE for doing what they thought would best honor a member of their community? I also doubt McMahon was being greedy as well. If he wanted money, he wouldn't have kicked everyone out of the arena and run a thrown-together tribute for 3 hours.

Dude, that is a huuuuuge reach. Pat Tillman was killed 3 years ago.

WWE didn't wait for 24 hrs to find out more information about what happened before airing a tribute...

jthomasou78
6/26/2007, 05:21 PM
The WWE is damned if they do, damned if they dont. They made a decision with the information they had. It turns out it was a bad one. Chris Benoit went to a bad place and did a bad thing. Dont blame the Fed because they responded that way to a coworker, employee, and friend passing away.

Scott D
6/26/2007, 05:22 PM
Dude, that is a huuuuuge reach. Pat Tillman was killed 3 years ago.

WWE didn't wait for 24 hrs to find out more information about what happened before airing a tribute...

eh go back to my reply to beef you crossdressing slacker :)

leavingthezoo
6/26/2007, 05:25 PM
it seems weird that defending steroids is such a high priority for WWE right now whether they (steriods) contributed to this craziness or not.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitpressrelease

WWE® Shocked At Latest Developments In Benoit Tragedy, Concerned By Sensationalistic Reporting
Written: June 26, 2007

STAMFORD, Conn., June 26, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment is stunned and saddened by the details released by local authorities concerning the double homicide-suicide involving Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son, Daniel.

However, WWE is concerned with the sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

WWE is continuing to monitor the ongoing investigation being conducted by local authorities.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2007, 05:27 PM
that is weird,

leavingthezoo
6/26/2007, 05:27 PM
maybe i misinterpreted that. i guess the passion is to imply he wasn't using steriods and therefore no wrassla' uses 'em.

olevetonahill
6/26/2007, 05:36 PM
Im sorry the wife and kid are dead. The ww whatever not so much

TopDawg
6/26/2007, 05:38 PM
Y'all think this was really a no-win situation for the WWE? It's not like "air a tribute" or "stay silent" were their only options. There's a lot of room for a "win" solution between those two options.

OUTromBoNado
6/26/2007, 05:52 PM
what's creepy colley, besides the bibles next to each body are the reports that those text messages he apparently sent to people were various scripture verses. It'll likely end up via toxicology that he had in addition to the steroids in his system at least one or two types of pain killers and possibly alcohol. I think it's more realistic that he might have been in a deluded paranoid state brought on by "roid rage" long enough to kill both his wife and child, and as it wore off the realization of what he did led to him killing himself.

We don't know this. The only person I heard say this was some guy on Fox News speculating as to what happened and Benoit's state of mind. He said, "Since there were Bibles, I bet those text messages were scripture verses." Granted, that would fit in with them being described as "strange" and "weird" But, that could mean anything. He could have sent something like, "OMG what have i done?" If you got that message on your phone from someone, wouldn't you be saying, "WTF?"

The WWE statement does have a point about the sensationalist reporting and all the speculating. I noticed the same thing after the press conference. But, let's face it, we all now how the media reports and always jumps to conclusion. Like I said earlier, it's never good to speculate in this cases, but speculating and stirring the sh!t is what the media does best. And of course, we all know Fox News is the greatest news channel to watch.:rolleyes: Good to get the basic facts, but not much else.

Of course, Fox News was also able to use it as a nice segue into their reports on steroids in other sports and the current hearings in Congress about the health of NFL players.

picasso
6/26/2007, 05:59 PM
if you've ever known anyone on roids, you would understand they are not themselves and are highly strung. I knew a pro football player who completely changed when he stopped stacking them.

now, add that to HGH, Coke, pain killers and whatever else this pro wrestler may have been taking and it's not surprising he went off the deep end.

sad.

Scott D
6/26/2007, 06:34 PM
We don't know this. The only person I heard say this was some guy on Fox News speculating as to what happened and Benoit's state of mind. He said, "Since there were Bibles, I bet those text messages were scripture verses." Granted, that would fit in with them being described as "strange" and "weird" But, that could mean anything. He could have sent something like, "OMG what have i done?" If you got that message on your phone from someone, wouldn't you be saying, "WTF?"

The WWE statement does have a point about the sensationalist reporting and all the speculating. I noticed the same thing after the press conference. But, let's face it, we all now how the media reports and always jumps to conclusion. Like I said earlier, it's never good to speculate in this cases, but speculating and stirring the sh!t is what the media does best. And of course, we all know Fox News is the greatest news channel to watch.:rolleyes: Good to get the basic facts, but not much else.

Of course, Fox News was also able to use it as a nice segue into their reports on steroids in other sports and the current hearings in Congress about the health of NFL players.

yeah I should have said speculation rather than reports.

Spanish Sooner
6/26/2007, 07:00 PM
for those of you upset about the tribute, I read where the WWE will be releasing a statement in apology for airing the tribute some time soon

usmc-sooner
6/26/2007, 10:37 PM
if you're comparing WWE to MMA, collegiate wrestling, or boxing you should no longer be allowed to participate in rational posts on this board, not that that has stopped anyone in the past.

royalfan5
6/26/2007, 10:43 PM
Did Benoit have any history of concussions? There have been several incidences of pro football players having incidents after a series of concussions.

usmc-sooner
6/26/2007, 10:53 PM
Did Benoit have any history of concussions? There have been several incidences of pro football players having incidents after a series of concussions.

probably

Soonerus
6/26/2007, 10:54 PM
rip....

oumartin
6/26/2007, 11:43 PM
I'm guessing he flipped out on his wife(formerly married to Kevin Sullivan, who was also a wrassler) and then his child due to some chemical influence. Then couldn't deal with what he had done to his child and took his own life..

Pricetag
6/27/2007, 02:41 PM
it seems weird that defending steroids is such a high priority for WWE right now whether they (steriods) contributed to this craziness or not.
I don't see it as defending steroids, but rather defending themselves from a feared indictment of wrestling as an underlying cause of a horrific event that has happened many a time in average families.

Sooner_Bob
6/27/2007, 05:16 PM
It's really sad that professional wrestling has been marred by another senseless death. Call it what you want, but when I was younger we gathered around the TV every Saturday and cheered on our favorite wrassler. Be it Junkyard Dog, Tommy Rich, Magnum TA, etc. 20 some odd years ago professional wrestling was very fun to watch.

Then along came Vince McMahon.

Regardless of what happened I was saddened to hear that "The Crippler" actually had a hand in the deaths of his wife and son. If this doesn't cause the major promotions to institute some type of oversight and offer counciling and lighten the load of some of their "stars" I don't know what will. Professional wrasslin' may be a joke to most folks, but it's very apparent that the human toll this "fake sport" takes is as real as it gets.

oumartin
6/27/2007, 05:24 PM
Tommy "Wildfire" Rich was my hero !

leavingthezoo
6/27/2007, 06:05 PM
I don't see it as defending steroids, but rather defending themselves from a feared indictment of wrestling as an underlying cause of a horrific event that has happened many a time in average families.

... well, i guess if i were defending against a feared indictment my own argument would be... regardless of whether steroids were found in benoits system or not, we the wwe do not encourage, condone or approve the use of steriods.

each point talked directly to why steroids could not be the cause which sounds to me it is in defense of steriods. but whatever. it's a sad deal and wrestling isn't responsible for anything he did. i just found it odd to be so detailed. [/shrug]

soonerboomer93
6/27/2007, 06:31 PM
Nothing religious in his text messages that they revealed...

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6960688

jk the sooner fan
6/27/2007, 06:44 PM
his son was mentally retarded? (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2918751)

wow, i'm sick to my stomach.......

Sooner_Bob
6/27/2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah . . . not a good situation at all.

I wonder why he couldn't/didn't seek help. Was he too prideful? stubborn? Did he even know he needed help? Sadly I doubt we'll ever know.

Turd_Ferguson
6/27/2007, 10:29 PM
Reguardless if he needed help, roid rage, male pms or whatever. He's burning in hell right now. He killed an inoccent child and his own wife. F**k him!

skycat
6/27/2007, 10:38 PM
This is a really weird thread.

colleyvillesooner
6/28/2007, 08:56 AM
:( :mad:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/fayette/stories/2007/06/27/0627metbenoitchoke.html

Chokehold may have killed Benoit's son

By KEVIN DUFFY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/27/07

Professional wrestling star Chris Benoit may have killed his 7-year-old son with a chokehold, Fayette County's district attorney said Wednesday.

The bodies of Benoit, his wife Nancy, and son Daniel were found in the family's exclusive Fayette County home Monday afternoon. Authorities say the deaths appear to have been murder-suicide.

District Attorney Scott Ballard said the boy had internal injuries to the throat area, but showed no bruises, indicating he may have been locked in the crook of his father's arm. Previous reports have said the boy had been smothered or strangled.

Nancy Benoit, 43, had bruises on her back and stomach consistent with someone pressing a knee into the small of the back while pulling on a cord around the neck, Ballard said.

Benoit, 40, killed himself by wrapping a cord around his neck that was attached to a weight machine, Ballard said. Benoit released the weights — about 240 pounds — to cause strangulation, he said.

Ballard said the pull-down bar had been removed from the machine. He was found seated against the machine in the basement of his home.

M
6/28/2007, 09:09 AM
Did anyone else see the WWE chairman on the Today Show this morning? Geez he desperately needs some media relations training.

soonervegas
6/28/2007, 03:21 PM
I watch WWE and the main reason is that many times the story lines and real life issues merge. It is really like watching a car wreck.....an entertaining one. That and there isn't crap on on Monday nights.....at least until MNF.

I do agree that the people running around wearing T-shirts and ordering Pay Per View need to reevaluate things. These guys are some of the most flawed individuals on the planet.

WWE is a really marginal soap opera. But like I said, best thing going on Monday nights until MNF.

Some guy negged me for saying that he was "flawed" for ordering PPV and t-shirts, and rereading my post, I can see how one could read it that way. I actually meant that the wrestlers were flawed and were not worth waisting PPV money and T-shirts on. So my bad. On 2nd though....maybe the guy in question was flawed. I hate people that neg and don't leave their name.

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2007, 03:24 PM
if you watch them, do you think you arent supporting them the same way the shirt purchasers are?

im not sure i understand your logic there

Scott D
6/28/2007, 03:27 PM
Well I think his point is that the channels they are on, are generally part of a basic cable package, so watching them costs him no more than not watching them. However, PPV and T-shirt sales are more directly to the pocket of the WWE, at hypothetically a bigger rate.

Kinda like how you might watch a music video on MTV or VH-1 and think an artist/group is alright, but you wouldn't go to a concert or buy a cd/t-shirt.

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2007, 03:48 PM
if everybody stopped watching them, they'd eventually go off the air

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:00 PM
if everybody stopped watching them, they'd eventually go off the air

perhaps, as it is they aren't on all that much really. Theoretically you could say the same about any "sport" that is on television in any capacity as well.

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2007, 04:03 PM
where are those damn "oh really" pictures when you need them.......

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2007, 04:07 PM
http://heroicsalmonleap.members.winisp.net/OhReally.jpg

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:08 PM
where are those damn "oh really" pictures when you need them.......

Well look at it...the "Viewing Public" shuns the NHL (partially based on the lockout) the NHL ends up in virtual television exile being on Versus (not even on all cable systems), and NBC (which nobody ever really watches for sports sans Sunday Night Football).

ESPN promotes the hell out of Arena football after it has died nearly twice in the past, including the one time lucrative package they got from NBC, viewership via ABC/ESPN isn't necessarily "better" than it was on NBC.

You could probably throw any marginalized "sport" into this picture. The ones that seem to have staying power no matter what with television...NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA (Football and Basketball), and NASCAR (Cart to a lesser degree). Anything else it's up in the air as to whether or not it'll maintain television coverage for any extended period of time.

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2007, 04:11 PM
dude, seriously, you're taking my comment WAY more seriously than i ever intended for it to be taken

i wasnt being 100% literal on the "if everybody quit watching it"

i just found it funny that he says its moronic to support it by buying tshirts, yet he seems to watch it on a regular basis

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:17 PM
dude, seriously, you're taking my comment WAY more seriously than i ever intended for it to be taken

i wasnt being 100% literal on the "if everybody quit watching it"

i just found it funny that he says its moronic to support it by buying tshirts, yet he seems to watch it on a regular basis

*shrug* I watch it occasionally....in the past I went to a few PPVs with some friends. From the pro wrestlers that I've met they generally seemed to be good guys. I've bought a couple of t-shirts also.

That being said, I do shudder when I think of the fact that there is "that guy" who goes to every PPV, and buys nearly every t-shirt. so I do see his point to a degree.

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2007, 04:18 PM
i dont watch it ever....i watched it as a kid

to each his own, there are things i watch that others probably wouldnt

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:21 PM
i dont watch it ever....i watched it as a kid

to each his own, there are things i watch that others probably wouldnt

that's pretty much my view. I don't particularly care for any "reality show" after it's first and maybe second season. After that they tend to become formula shows and look for certain types of makeup and conflicts to maintain their audiences. However, I'm not going to fault someone or blast them (not referring to you), for being someone who regularly watches those shows.

now this is probably the part of this thread where Dean comes in and proclaims everyone gay and/or dickless for watching television in the first place ;)

C&CDean
6/28/2007, 04:23 PM
****in' A Scott, ****in' A.

Wrasslin' is a very close identical twin to Survivor/Idol/Bachelor. VERY close.

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2007, 04:23 PM
now this is probably the part of this thread where Dean comes in and proclaims everyone gay and/or dickless for watching television in the first place ;)

or for any number of other things......

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:35 PM
****in' A Scott, ****in' A.

Wrasslin' is a very close identical twin to Survivor/Idol/Bachelor. VERY close.

heh... True story..my grandmother used to give my father the business about him watching wrestling when he was growing up. Amusingly, as she was sinking into her alzheimer days, we'd rent an old ppv from the late 80s from the video store and sit on the couch watching it with her amused when she'd make comments like "My god, he's gonna kill that maan!" during a match. Fun times man...fun times.

But Dean, Wrasslin' doesn't pass itself off as not being fixed anymore..those shows try to ;)

Mongo
6/28/2007, 04:39 PM
JK and ScottD would make a helluva cage match. While I think Scott is more physically gifted, JK tends to be more crafty and smart.

I'd buy the PPV

Scott D
6/28/2007, 04:41 PM
yeah but you'd buy a PPV of two cells combining to create a new cell.

NormanPride
6/28/2007, 04:53 PM
yeah but you'd buy a PPV of two cells combining to create a new cell.

:hot:

r5TPsooner
6/29/2007, 11:14 AM
Interesting read.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2007/06/29/4299824-sun.html

Boomer.....
7/17/2007, 04:22 PM
New developments (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/17/wrestler.murder/index.html)