PDA

View Full Version : All these fancy new cookware sets have me confused

MamaMia
6/25/2007, 07:22 PM
My Goddaughter just bought her first home; a darling little 2 bedroom condo. She assumed, since I do a lot of cooking, that I would be the perfect person to help her pick out a small cookware set that would give her the most bang for her buck. I've just spent a half hour on the computer and am embarrassed to say that I've totally confused myself. My goodness, they sure do have a lot to choose from these days. Over the years I've built up a nice supply of pieces I fell in love with from several different companies, but shes wanting a matching starter set. If y'all could help me find a set thats reasonably priced, I could make it my house warming gift to her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

SoonerStormchaser
6/25/2007, 07:23 PM
Anything she can hit her man with is too much.

soonerboomer93
6/25/2007, 08:54 PM
but cast iron skillets rmfo

and I have no clue what's good, I just go buy something when the old stuff wears out...

GottaHavePride
6/25/2007, 09:44 PM
Make sure it feels heavy. Make sure the handles are sturdy and well-connected. The rest is just decoration.

I'll quote my friend (though he was talking about trombones, not cookware) "It's not the equipment, it's the idiot using the equipment." ;)

MamaMia
6/25/2007, 09:58 PM
Make sure it feels heavy. Make sure the handles are sturdy and well-connected. The rest is just decoration.

I'll quote my friend (though he was talking about trombones, not cookware) "It's not the equipment, it's the idiot using the equipment." ;)
I'm buying it on line since I'm not able to get around just yet. I would imagine that stainless would be pretty heavy. Thats what I like anyway.

What do y'all think of that Emerilware? I have some All Clad sauce pans and a flat bottom wok that I'm real happy with, and I understand its made by that same company.

TopDaugIn2000
6/25/2007, 10:03 PM
I bought the wolfgang puck stainless steel set about 3 years ago and absolutely love them

we got my mom a good set of nonstick calphalon about 2 years ago and she really likes those.

I got my great grandmother's cast iron skillets last christmas, BEST GIFT EVER. but those are hard to come by, they're WELL seasoned!

TopDaugIn2000
6/25/2007, 10:06 PM
this is the set I bought
http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0060219006019_L2.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
6/25/2007, 10:09 PM
oh and Mama....I recently bought a home. and I really like kitchen stuff ;)

NormanPride
6/25/2007, 10:41 PM
Got the Emerilware for a wedding gift, but I haven't been able to test them out yet. :( Our apartment is too small!

Jimminy Crimson
6/26/2007, 12:11 AM
Emerilware is a product of All-Clad, just a little FYI.

Emeril's line is cheaper than the regular All-Clad, but is just as good. The main difference is that All-Clad is made in the good ol' US of A, while Emerilware is made in China.

King Crimson
6/26/2007, 02:19 AM
Emerilware is a product of All-Clad, just a little FYI.

Emeril's line is cheaper than the regular All-Clad, but is just as good. The main difference is that All-Clad is made in the good ol' US of A, while Emerilware is made in China.

All Clad does make Emerilware but is much better than Emeril's stuff. it's also quite a bit more expensive. the Emeril stuff has nice heavy bottoms but the sidewalls of, say, yer saucier or 3 qt. are much thinner than it would be if it was All Clad. Also, Emeril's stuff has glass lids. the total effect is the heat conduction and retention is kinda uneven with the 3 different variables. but, hey....the classic styling (form=function) is there and all the shapes are right.

that said, i have 4 All-Clad pieces and some other mix and match stuff from Calphalon, Chantal, Le Creuset that i've picked up on sale here and there over the years.....but i also have an Emeril saucier and, for the money, it's a nice little piece of equipment. i think the deals on Emeril sets are pretty sweet. like i say, for the money, it's pretty good stuff as near as i can tell and certainly a big step up in quality from most of the other mid-range stuff that has flooded the market--the latter is a good thing, IMO. though, i'm not a big fan of the glass lids.

key is to get something you are gonna commit to and use the heck out of. the first couple pieces of All-clad i bought i spent about 8 months treating them like art or something....and now, i use them like the everyday workhorses they are.

one of my faves i own is a brandless beater 10" high rimmed sautee pan....i use it for everything. i bought it at Target I think about 5 years ago. brand isn't everything--but for a set and a gift: it's nice. for me, the rag tag collection suits my needs and budget over the years. and there is something to be said for trying different stuff *in use*. if i were buying a set on a budget, i'd prolly get the Emeril stuff....I'm also kind of an All-Clad slut so i like the "styling" and the long handle etc....i don't like Calphalon that much (i always get ripped when i say that).

no budget, it's All Clad and some Le Creuset stuff for the oven. and a really kick *** set of Global knives. but that ain't happening any time soon.

JMO.

MamaMia
6/26/2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll see what she thinks about the glass lids and run all of your ideas by her. My friends and family members know how much fun I have with my advice questionnaires on the South Oval and have come to enjoy y'alls opinions as much as I do. :D

Got the Emerilware for a wedding gift, but I haven't been able to test them out yet. :( Our apartment is too small! Not long after PapaMia and I were first married, we lived in an apartment right off Classen Blvd., back when it was a nice neighborhood. They called it an "efficiency". It came with a refrigerator, stove and 2 brand new window unit air conditioners. The rent was $150.00 a month, all bills paid. :D

The living room was also the bedroom, so we got a nice fold out sofa and the dining room was also the kitchen. The stove was from the 40's and only had two gas burners on the right. The left side was a griddle.

Our Formica and metal table only sat 4 but it was next to a beautiful bay window. After dinner we would have hot cocoa by the little fireplace in the living/bedroom. Papa says I cooked him up some of the best dinners he ever had on that little old white stove.

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 10:03 AM
Hey, at least those burners were gas... When I showed up they had a crappy stovetop/oven combo with electrical coils on top. To make it look pretty, some jerk had spray-painted the coils black, and I had to burn off all the damn paint before I could use it!

Now, I can make some pretty darn good eatin' in that 5x8 hole of a kitchen. I just don't have room to store all the nice cookware in there. :(