PDA

View Full Version : "Evening:" A Thoughtful and Dare I Say Well-crafted Film Review

Viking Kitten
6/25/2007, 02:26 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I have not seen this movie. Nor do I intend to. In fact, I am not sure if it has even opened yet. Nor do I care. I am reviewing the promos. In a word? Estrogenfest. Looks like this movie features a lot of women sitting around, hating on men. They may be doing more that just sitting around; from what I saw in the promo, there might even be some post-menopausal lesbian action in it. Eww. Who wants to see two old ladies get it on? I bet even young hot lesbians don’t want to see that s***.

The movie stars a couple of young cute actresses in period costume, leading me to believe they play younger versions of the main characters, probably before some evil man dicks ‘em over. It also stars “the most important actresses of our time” Meryl Streep and Vanessa Redgrave. Okay. I’ll concede that those are both pretty awesome actresses. But dude. They walk around in the promos looking all grannyfied with long, stringy, white granny hair. Yuck. I don’t know what’s worse: Old ladies that cut their hair all dykey or old ladies that refuse to cut their hair at all. You know who looks good for an old lady? Catherine Deneuve. They should put her in more movies.

Anyway… just the title annoys me. “Evening.” “Oh it’s evening! A time for quiet reflection! A time to contemplate the subtle mysteries of womanhood.” Or maybe a time to BARF!

Good lord… why do they take up valuable theatre space with this crap? I am not going to say all chick flicks are bad. I loved “Muriel’s Wedding,” I really liked “Thelma and Louise.” Hell, I even liked “The Joy Luck Club.” It just seems like the movies aimed at the granny demographic are particularly poorly made. Schmaltzy, one-dimensional crap better viewed on the Lifetime Channel.

So let me think… when I choose what movie I see this week, do I want to be hit over the head with a reminder of my own mortality, or perhaps I would rather watch Bruce Willis blow some s*** up and generally kick a**? Golly, which should I choose?

Hey Hollywood? If I want to see women bond, I’ll go to a ****in’ Mary Kay party. TIA.

M
6/25/2007, 02:37 PM
I don’t know what’s worse: Old ladies that cut their hair all dykey or old ladies that refuse to cut their hair at all.

Well when they cut their hair all dykey they tend to look like Kim Jong-Il.

M
6/25/2007, 02:42 PM
As for my take on these estrogen-oozing movies, I prefer the "My-15-Year-Old-Daughter-Got-Raped-By-The High-School-Football-Coach-And-Now-She's-Contemplating-An-Abortion" type found daily on Lifetime. :rolleyes:

PhxSooner
6/25/2007, 02:50 PM
Let's not forget We's usual "Woman in a man's world" movies, which are usually about a woman cop raped by a male cop, and the entire world believes him. Gah.

C&CDean
6/25/2007, 02:52 PM
I just wanted to be the second guy to post in this thread.

Viking Kitten
6/25/2007, 02:55 PM
How about "Two-infants-switched-at-birth,-one-going-to-live-with-teen-newlyweds-(one-of-whom-is-abusing-stereoids,)-the-other-being-adopted-by-a-cold,-distant-mother-who-only-wants-a-baby-to-live-out-her-unfulfilled-dreams-of-being-a-gardener."

PhxSooner
6/25/2007, 02:56 PM
Ooh, ooh, the kidnapped baby movies! Usually with Kelly Martin.

Viking Kitten
6/25/2007, 02:56 PM
Let's not forget We's usual "Woman in a man's world" movies, which are usually about a woman cop raped by a male cop, and the entire world believes him. Gah.

Well damn. Did you see the way she was dressed? She was totally asking for it.

PhxSooner
6/25/2007, 02:58 PM
I know. And she didn't really say no, did she?

"One woman's struggle..."

Viking Kitten
6/25/2007, 02:59 PM
"One woman's struggle..."

... to be accepted on her terms."

JohnnyMack
6/25/2007, 03:05 PM
I just wanted to be the second guy to post in this thread.

Shocking that you'd be hanging out in this thread.

TexasLidig8r
6/25/2007, 03:06 PM
Ok.. now... the real question is... how many men will take their dates (and, it will probably be limited to first or second dates) to see this movie in the vainglorious hope that, their dates will naively believe they have a sensitive side to them, are tender and caring and thus, are worthy of engaging in a little inflagrante delecto? Answer: A LOT !

The things we men are forced to do. :(

M
6/25/2007, 03:12 PM
They should just rename the Lifetime channel to the "It's-Time-To-Start-Styling-Your-Hair-Like-The-Church-Lady-And-Start-Buying-Poise-Pads,-Premarin-And-Playtex-Bras" channel.

M
6/25/2007, 03:16 PM
Ok.. now... the real question is... how many men will take their dates (and, it will probably be limited to first or second dates) to see this movie in the vainglorious hope that, their dates will naively believe they have a sensitive side to them, are tender and caring and thus, are worthy of engaging in a little inflagrante delecto? Answer: A LOT !

Even if his intentions were to get on the girl's good side, would this movie put the girl in the mood? Hell no!

Viking Kitten
6/25/2007, 03:18 PM
I can think of a certain Bridesman who might take a girl to see this...

PhxSooner
6/25/2007, 03:30 PM

Eww, no. My first date with my now-husband was to "The Fugitive" at the Norman AMC.

crawfish
6/25/2007, 03:41 PM
So...which character slowly dies of some disease, causing grief and reconciliation among the other characters?

frankensooner
6/25/2007, 04:06 PM
Movies are also a great way to break up, just watch War of the Roses with a soon-to-be ex-girlfriend and say, "Wow, I could see us ending up like that"...Believe me, it works...

I also started laughing while listening to Supertramp's Breakfast in America and that ended a relationship.

Mixer!
6/25/2007, 04:27 PM
Take a look at my girlfriend
She's the only one I got
Not much of a girlfriend
Never seem to get a lot

Take a jumbo cross the water
Like to see America
See the girls in California
I´m hoping it´s going to come true
But there´s not a lot I can do

Could we have kippers for breakfast
Mummy dear, Mummy dear
They got to have ´em in Texas
Cos everyone's a millionaire

I´m a winner, I´m a sinner
Do you want my autograph
I´m a loser what a joker
I´m playing my jokes upon you
While there´s nothing better to do

Don´t you look at my girlfriend
She´s the only one I got
Not much of a girlfriend
Never seem to get a lot

Take a jumbo cross the water
Like to see America
See the girls in California
I´m hoping it´s going to come true
But there´s not a lot I can do.

OCUDad
6/25/2007, 06:02 PM
"estrogen-oozing"??? :eek:

Okla-homey
6/26/2007, 05:24 AM
For the record, I support ghey marriage...as long as both chicks are really hawt.

IB4OU2
6/26/2007, 09:07 AM
If I want to see women bond, I’ll go to a ****in’ Mary Kay party. TIA.[/COLOR]

So just what does go on at these Mary Kay parties?