PDA

View Full Version : Chip Brown, DMN picks OU #1 and Okie State #2 in the South

Big Red Ron
6/25/2007, 12:05 PM
If things fall just right this football season, Dallas billionaire Boone Pickens' next donation to his alma mater, Oklahoma State, could be free rounds for everyone at Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater – the best bar in the Big 12.
If Oklahoma struggles with a first-year quarterback, if Texas can't solve its problems running the ball or stopping the pass, or if Texas A&M gets beaten down by a brutal schedule, the Cowboys could be BCS-bound in 2007.
Crazy? Not really. OSU is loaded on offense, will be improved on defense and has slippery speed on special teams. Also, you'd hope the Cowboys have learned how to finish after losing five of their six games in 2006 late in the fourth quarter.
"I think it can be a special year," said Mike Gundy, the third-year coach at the school where he shared the backfield with Barry Sanders from 1986 to '88 and remains the school's all-time leading passer.
"We open up at Georgia. They may be top 15 or better, but our players believe we can go there and win that game. We believe we can win every game if we play well. The attitude of our team is tremendous."
Pickens has already given $165 million to Oklahoma State, allowing the Cowboys to compete with any school in the nation in resources. A renovation to OSU's stadium, which bears Pickens' name, will be completed in 15 months.
Gundy has hired bright, young assistants like offensive coordinator Larry Fedora.
Fedora's Big Three – quarterback Bobby Reid, running back Dantrell Savage and wide receiver Adarius Bowman – helped make OSU one of two teams to average 200 yards passing and 200 yards rushing last season (along with Boise State). All three players return this season.
First-year defensive coordinator Tim Beckman's last two stops were Ohio State (defensive backs coach) and Bowling Green (defensive coordinator), working under national championship coaches Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer, respectively.
And thanks to Pickens, Gundy can make his assistants among the highest-paid in the country. Fedora is slated to earn $393,000 this season. Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis will earn $351,440 this season. While most assistant coaches work on a year-to-year basis, Gundy's assistants have four- and five-year guaranteed contracts.
"We've had really good football coaches here over the past 20 years, but we weren't able to keep them," Gundy said. "One reason is we weren't able to take care of them financially. When you look at the cost of living in Stillwater, and the money these guys make now, I'm going to say we're probably as competitive as anyone in the country."
Gundy has also been able to recruit Texas, where he signed 15 of his 22 incoming freshmen. Included in that group are top national prospects Richetti Jones, a pass rusher from Lincoln, and receivers Dez Bryant of Lufkin and Hubert Anyiam of North Garland.
Part of Gundy's recruiting pitch is that he doesn't want to coach anywhere else.
"This is home," Gundy said. "My wife and I graduated from here, and we're being taken care of. Most coaches will tell you, never let the administration know you think this is your last stop. I don't have a problem with that. I'm happy here, and we have big goals."

SOUTH

1. Oklahoma
Record: 10-2, 6-2
League losses: at Colorado, Texas
Bottom line: The Sooners are starting a first-year quarterback, which could make them vulnerable to a couple of early conference losses. But the defending Big 12 champs should be hard to beat by season's end with talent everywhere else. OU wins the South on tiebreakers.

2. Oklahoma State
League losses: at Nebraska, at OU
Bottom line: This program has serious momentum after pounding Nebraska last season and beating Alabama in the Independence Bowl. Road games at Georgia, Troy, Texas A&M, Nebraska and OU will be daunting, but the Cowboys have lots of fearless, young talent.

3. Texas
League losses: at Okla. St., at Texas A&M
Bottom line: The passing game and run defense should be among the best in the country, and TCU is the toughest nonconference opponent. But the Longhorns must answer serious questions from last year about their pass defense and inability to run the ball.

4. Texas A&M
Record: 7-5, 4-4
League losses: Okla. St., at Nebraska, at OU, at Mizzou
Bottom line: Quarterback Stephen McGee is a stud on an offense that mauls people. But key losses on defense and a road schedule that includes Miami (Fla.), Texas Tech, Nebraska, OU and Missouri will trip up the Aggies.

5. Texas Tech
Record: 7-5;3-5
League losses: at Okla. St., Texas A&M, at Mizzou, at Texas, OU
Bottom line: Tech has only four starters back on offense and only five back on defense. If Mike Leach hasn't been recruiting well, it will show. A typically soft nonleague schedule should ensure Tech remains the only Big 12 team without a losing season since the conference was formed.

6. Baylor
Record: 3-9, 0-8
League losses: All of them
Bottom line: After manhandling bowl-bound Kansas State last year and beating Colorado on the road, the Bears have lost too much manpower to succeed in 2007. Baylor is starting over at quarterback, receiver and in the secondary. Coach Guy Morriss will need more time.

NORTH

1. Missouri
League losses: at OU, at Colorado
Bottom line: The Tigers have the most experienced talent in the North, only four road games, and they get Nebraska at home. Quarterback Chase Daniel of Southlake Carroll will help erase any mistakes by coach Gary Pinkel. Mizzou wins the North with a tiebreaker win over the Cornhuskers.

2. Nebraska
Record: 8-4, 6-2
League losses: at Mizzou, at Texas
Bottom line: Coaching blunders cost the Big Red a Cotton Bowl victory against Auburn and tempered enthusiasm about progress made in three seasons under Bill Callahan. If a new defensive line exceeds expectations, Nebraska could return to the Big 12 title game this year.

3. Colorado
Record: 7-5, 5-3
League losses: at Kansas St., at Texas Tech, Nebraska
Bottom line: Dan Hawkins redshirted his son, Cody, at quarterback last season. With Cody on the field, an offense that couldn't score in 2006 will improve dramatically. There's talent on defense, although not much depth anywhere if injuries flare up.

4. Kansas State
Record: 6-6, 4-4
League losses: at Texas, at Okla. St., at Nebraska, Mizzou
Bottom line: There's lots of uncertainty in Manhattan as coach Ron Prince goes to a 3-4 defense and attempts to rebuild on the offensive line. Ian Campbell will move from defensive end to outside linebacker after posting 11 ½ sacks in 2006. Quarterback Josh Freeman is a rising star.

5. Kansas
Record: 6-6, 2-6
League losses: at K-State, at Colorado, at A&M, Nebraska, at Okla. St., Mizzou (in Kansas City)
Bottom line: Last year, KU lost five games in which it led in the second half. Coach Mark Mangino is struggling to find a quarterback, as he has the last four years. Cornerback Aqib Talib is the real deal on a defense with lots of questions.

6. Iowa State
Record: 2-10, 0-8
League losses: All of them
Bottom line: It could be a rough start for new coach Gene Chizik. He must rebuild both lines, has no proven running back and faces a schedule that includes South opponents OU, Texas and Texas Tech. Eleven of his 25-man freshman class are junior college transfers.
BIG 12 TITLE GAME IN SAN ANTONIO: OU over Missouri

TheUnnamedSooner
6/25/2007, 12:07 PM
I read that last week. I don't see texass losing to osu, but then again, it is the most powerful offense in the world...

LittleWingSooner
6/25/2007, 12:26 PM
With that schedule there's no way Oklahoma State wins more then 7 games.

Big Red Ron
6/25/2007, 12:41 PM
I can't see us losing to Colorado either.

yermom
6/25/2007, 12:45 PM
we haven't played well there lately...

i am a little scared, you know he is going to have them up for that game. it would mean a lot in getting CU back to beat OU

1stTimeCaller
6/25/2007, 12:57 PM
there is no way Eskimo Joe's is the best bar in the Big XII.

Dio
6/25/2007, 01:00 PM
1. Oklahoma
League losses: at Colorado, Texas

This ain't intramurals, brotha!

NormanPride
6/25/2007, 01:02 PM
Alabama didn't have a coach when OSU played them. And 'Bama probably should have won that game, IMO. I say our biggest threats (outside of Texas) are A&M, Tech, and CU.

yermom
6/25/2007, 01:06 PM
there is no way Eskimo Joe's is the best bar in the Big XII.

yeah, i forgot to mention that

although, to be fair i haven't been there

they are surely #1 in shirt sales...

NormanPride
6/25/2007, 01:07 PM
There has to be something in Austin better than Joe's. That place is corny and overpriced. Even the aggots are sick of it.

Beef
6/25/2007, 01:14 PM
How come defense allegedly wins championships but seems to have no importance whatsoever in pre-season rankings?

Beef
6/25/2007, 01:15 PM
And OSU is not going to win at Georgia.

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 01:36 PM
at colorado?

is he serious?

HTown77095
6/25/2007, 01:43 PM
Well, saying that CU will beat OU, that discredits the whole article right there. CU was horrible against OU last year. There were more Sooner fans catching passes than CU players :rolleyes:

soonerinabilene
6/25/2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

TopDawg
6/25/2007, 01:59 PM
If things fall just right this football season, Dallas billionaire Boone Pickens' next donation to his alma mater, Oklahoma State, could be free rounds for everyone at Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater – the best bar in the Big 12.
If Oklahoma struggles with a first-year quarterback, if Texas can't solve its problems running the ball or stopping the pass, or if Texas A&M gets beaten down by a brutal schedule, the Cowboys could be BCS-bound in 2007.

You let me line up that many if's, and I can make a case for Duke being in a BCS bowl.

OSUAggie
6/25/2007, 02:03 PM
Alabama didn't have a coach when OSU played them. And 'Bama probably should have won that game, IMO. I say our biggest threats (outside of Texas) are A&M, Tech, and CU.

What is your reasoning for 'Bama winning that game?

OSU dominated the yardage and points until 'Bama returned the punt for a TD. It was 31-17 in the 4th.

Rushing Yards
OSU - 207
Alabama - 108

Passing Yards
OSU - 212
Alabama - 168

Landthief 1972
6/25/2007, 02:22 PM
OUCH OUCH OUCH...

Between Abs Class at lunch and laughing at that rankings list, my sides hurt. :D

CatfishSooner
6/25/2007, 02:24 PM
:eek:

Collier11
6/25/2007, 02:24 PM
since when does yardage make a huge diff if you arent considering special teams and turnovers???

OSUAggie
6/25/2007, 02:32 PM
since when does yardage make a huge diff if you arent considering special teams and turnovers???

umm..... pretty sure most people on here would argue that Texas did not dominate the game as much as the score would indicate in the 2006 OU/UT game...

NormanPride
6/25/2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I don't think Alabama should have blown you guys out or anything, but with 8 minutes left 'Bama had all the momentum in a tied game. Then they took the air out of themselves taking 4 minutes to go 16 yards and the game was pretty much over. Again, it was just an opinion. I thought Alabama was in the best position to win near the end, but OSU made the plays. Really, 'Bama shouldn't have even been in the game, but it's amazing how crappily you guys concentrated in that one.

OSUAggie
6/25/2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I don't think Alabama should have blown you guys out or anything, but with 8 minutes left 'Bama had all the momentum in a tied game. Then they took the air out of themselves taking 4 minutes to go 16 yards and the game was pretty much over. Again, it was just an opinion. I thought Alabama was in the best position to win near the end, but OSU made the plays. Really, 'Bama shouldn't have even been in the game, but it's amazing how crappily you guys concentrated in that one.

ok, I can understand that logic.

It becomes less amazing when you see it 5,000 times.

Tear Down This Wall
6/25/2007, 02:37 PM
I read that thing this weekend. It was the most uninformed, least researched article about American football ever written. The notion that OSU would challenge for a conference championship in football is absurd enough. But, then the guy throws in a loss for us to Colorado....

The guy mailed in that article. Besides, what's the deal with writing a Big 12 Preview in June!

Collier11
6/25/2007, 02:40 PM
umm..... pretty sure most people on here would argue that Texas did not dominate the game as much as the score would indicate in the 2006 OU/UT game...

You are confusing the hell out of me, against texas we dominated on defense but because of turnovers we got rolled by 18. that proves that you cant always look at yardage!

OSUAggie
6/25/2007, 02:52 PM
I didn't say that you just have to look at the yardage to see who the winner was.

I asked NP to provide a reasoning why he thought 'Bama should've won and put the yardage #'s up to back up a bit of my point.

OSU also had less turnovers...

Collier11
6/25/2007, 03:00 PM
youre dumb!!!

;)

virginiasooner
6/25/2007, 03:01 PM
that columnist must be able to get his hands on some awesome drugs if he thinks that the Horns are going to lose to OSU. Wonder where I can get some. And the Sooners better not lose to Colorado. We're going to that game, and after the 2001 OU/OSU game and the Fiesta Bowl, I don't know if my husband will forgive me if the Sooners lose.

flopshotjoe99
6/25/2007, 04:32 PM
pretty shocking considering Chip Brown is the biggest UT homer ever. When A&M beat UT last year, he put them ahead of OU in his weekly rankings of the Big 12.:rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
6/25/2007, 04:51 PM
You let me line up that many if's, and I can make a case for Duke being in a BCS bowl.Perfect!

fwsooner22
6/25/2007, 05:20 PM
Here is how many outright conference championships Stool has..........

TopDawg
6/25/2007, 06:24 PM
Perfect!

On top of all the ifs...it's funny that he still says "the Cowboys could be BCS-bound in 2007."

If A, B and C all happen, then D might happen. He's not exactly going out on a limb there.

Harry Beanbag
6/25/2007, 06:30 PM
http://www.websophist.com/Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

Sooner74
6/25/2007, 06:33 PM
Wow, this guys picks are lame. I would have more fun listening to my 4 year old brother picking who would win because of their "costumes".

goingoneight
6/25/2007, 08:07 PM
Amazing how someone can get a woody over OSU running up scores against patsies, then choking against real opponents. Same thing with Nebraska and Notre Dame.

OSU either gets out-coached or chokes badly against Georgia. JMHO. I wouldn't put money on USC playing on the road there. I'd pick them, but not a gamble worth taking, yaaaa mean?

I find it hard to believe they'll beat Texass, too. Sure UT is rebuilding... but did they or did they not just sign back-to-back-to-back Top 3 recruiting classes? UT better damn well have answered their "questions" by the time they visit Augua De La Stool, IMHO.

And us losing to CU would be the ultimate choke job. Like saying we'd lose against Missouri last year without AD. HELLO!!! They're Missouri!!!

I refuse to put us No. 1 in the South until whoever takes the snap can complete passes. Same thing I said with Romar in 2005 after the benched PT. Just like last year, it's still Texas's CCG to lose until OU proves they're better, IMHO.

TopDawg
6/25/2007, 08:35 PM
I refuse to put us No. 1 in the South until whoever takes the snap can complete passes. Same thing I said with Romar in 2005 after the benched PT. Just like last year, it's still Texas's CCG to lose until OU proves they're better, IMHO.

In 2005, though, we were also breaking in a pretty new o-line. Our offensive situation is completely different this year. Talent and experience on the line makes it a lot easier for new QBs to develop as they go. I think Texas has more important questions to answer than we do.

OU-HSV
6/25/2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah, that prediction of a loss to CU is surprising. I'd think he'd pick us to lose a close one against the cocanes before he'd pick us to lose to CU. I mean I know he's talking about conf. losses...but he doesn't have us losing any non conf. games. Just an interesting choice is what I'm saying.

illinisooner
6/25/2007, 09:30 PM
The Mizzou pick last year and CU pick this year have some sense of reason to them, since they always play us tough at Columbia and Boulder. But last year Mizzou was somewhat good, Colorado might as well be playing intramurals this year.

utex74
6/25/2007, 10:12 PM
In 2005, though, we were also breaking in a pretty new o-line. Our offensive situation is completely different this year. Talent and experience on the line makes it a lot easier for new QBs to develop as they go. I think Texas has more important questions to answer than we do.

I think you guys will be fine. Last year everyone said Colt was our weakness. A good supporting cast and coaching can make a freshman look like a junior and I think whoever yours is will have both. Texas' OL is better than people think and if the young guys in the secondary learn quickly they have the talent and speed to be good.

That said, I think we win the RRS and then maybe find a way to blow it in Stillwater, just because that has been such a tough place to play for Texas. (hope I am wrong because I am going to that game since I work up here in OKC) We play Nebraska in a rematch in San Antonio on the tie breaker in Dallas. No way we lose to the Aggies again.

Game one in 67 days!

HTown77095
6/25/2007, 11:13 PM
No way we lose to the Aggies again.

Famous last words....he he :P

stoopified
6/26/2007, 08:10 AM
we haven't played well there lately...

i am a little scared, you know he is going to have them up for that game. it would mean a lot in getting CU back to beat OU
sAYS WHO ? tHE ONLY BAD GAME sTOOPS' sOONERS HAVE HAD THERE WAS IN '99.Since then we have owned CU in Boulder.Personally I think this guy is hittin' the crack pipe on his overall picks in the Big 12.Lotta IFs required for oSu to RISE to top of the Big 12.

Big Red Ron
6/26/2007, 08:24 AM
sAYS WHO ? tHE ONLY BAD GAME sTOOPS' sOONERS HAVE HAD THERE WAS IN '99.Since then we have owned CU in Boulder.Personally I think this guy is hittin' the crack pipe on his overall picks in the Big 12.Lotta IFs required for oSu to RISE to top of the Big 12.Didn't have yer coffee yet when you posted that did ya? ;)

Soonermagik
6/26/2007, 08:31 AM
at colorado?

is he serious?

That's what I was thinking, didn't they only win like 2 or 3 games last year? LOL!!! If we lose 2 games I could see it being to Texas and a bowl game, but Colorado give me a break. LMAO!!!

stoopified
6/26/2007, 08:58 AM
Didn't have yer coffee yet when you posted that did ya? ;)
True,up all night with sick three year old.I would edit it but am too tired.

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 09:34 AM
CU gave us everything they could in one of our best years - 2003. Having a frosh QB on the road is no cakewalk in the Big 12.

SOONER STEAKER
6/26/2007, 09:43 AM
Is Boone now paying off writers for from the DMN? O-Choke U will finsih in the bottom half of the South. It may take another botched snap, or an underaged RB being arrested on the Stillwater strip, but O-Choke U will find a way too dissapoint. A new stadium, YES, same ol' finish, YES!

OSUAggie
6/26/2007, 09:51 AM
Is Boone now paying off writers for from the DMN? O-Choke U will finsih in the bottom half of the South. It may take another botched snap, or an underaged RB being arrested on the Stillwater strip, but O-Choke U will find a way too dissapoint. A new stadium, YES, same ol' finish, YES!

Ah, the IQ displayed in this one ...

NormanPride
6/26/2007, 10:26 AM
Don't feed the trolls.

htownsooner7
6/26/2007, 01:10 PM
I'm getting tired of all the idiots and their predictions. Not picking OU and texass 1&2 is stupid (I understand if they are switched by some). Look it up, over 85% of the time, it has happened.

Picked up the Sporting News preview and one of the 2 bowl prediction 'experts' didn't have OU in a bowl game. Nice oversight. No credibility.

goingoneight
6/26/2007, 07:47 PM
How come people don't get any flak when these whack predictions are exposed? :confused:

To all the IDIOTS who predict OU to lose four to five games... and the group predicting a no-bowl season, **** off dip ****s.

OSUAggie
6/27/2007, 05:30 AM
We've heard about their offense...but they also return seven off their defense as well. Not that their seven are All-American candidates or that their defense was super last year

3 of them were freshmen All-Americans (Sexton, Lavine, Collins), while a 4th frosh was on some AA teams for KR (Cox).

MiccoMacey
6/27/2007, 07:37 AM
I will say this...

We've heard about their offense...but they also return seven off their defense as well. Not that their seven are All-American candidates or that their defense was super last year, but if you're going to believe our guys will be better than last year with a season under them, you have to give them the same benefit. They will be a better defensive unit. Which will help their offense.

And for all the crap they get about their offense from Sooner fans, you'd be foolish not to like an offense that can run and pass as well as they can. Especially an offense that ran for almost 120 yards against our defense and passed for fifty more than our average in passing yards.

OSU has the week off prior to the Texas game (so does KSU). That's huge. How would we like an extra week to prepare for Texas?

This is not your father's Texas team. Question marks in the running game, secondary, and a new OL. While they may have tons of talent, they are not unbeatable. And two losses at the end of the season last year coupled with a crappy performance in the bowl can't have given this team a lot of confidence going into the offseason.

OSU plays Texas at home. I know they're only 27-17 over the past seven years at home, but they DO seem to find a way to play specific teams pretty evenly there (beat us in 2002, extremely close games in 2000, 2004, and 2006). I say it gives them an intangible.

Texas may have one of the worst schedules in the NCAA. Not hardest, but the worst. Texas has to play TCU. TCU may be the most underrated team in all of college football this year. They bring back almost an entire team from a two-loss season. Their defense allowed 20 or more points only three times last year. Texas may already have a loss or two going into the game with OSU. And OSU and KSU have open dates prior to the Texas game (needed to be said twice).

This game is definitely winnable for OSU.

AzianSooner
6/27/2007, 10:13 PM
Chip Brown himself a whorn fan and he sets a trap by saying OK's school to be in top 2.