PDA

View Full Version : Merrill Hoge "Most over rated and under rated players in the NFL."

Big Red Ron
6/24/2007, 11:39 PM
I see a bit of a pro Sooner trend here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2913197

goingoneight
6/25/2007, 12:39 AM
Hmmm... interesting... hating on whorns and Sooners.

One's a rookie... one's not a natural NFL saftey.

...a-ahem... move to LB, Roy!!!

I agree with all the hype surrounding VY that he's overrated. He'll be good with time, but their are honestly some saying he's going to take them to the Super Bowl this year and crap like that.

TexasLidig8r
6/25/2007, 08:32 AM
Merrill Hoge is such a tool. All last year and even before the 2006 draft, he was a notorious Vince Young hater... the old, "he'll never make plays in the league, he won't be able to run away from the defenders.. the Titans made a wasted draft pick... he'll never be able to play quarterback.. blah blah blah.."

Now.. it's... "he could be a good quarterback in the league and maybe much more?"

The boy had too many concussions.

Having said all that... yes.. the expectations for VY are far too great for this next year.

Tear Down This Wall
6/25/2007, 09:50 AM
Both are right - about Williams and Young. Without help from a legitimate free safety, Williams is terrible in coverage.

As far a Young and the Titans, they won one game last year when a defensive end stopped tackling Young on a fourth down that would have ended the game because he thought the whistle blew. In another game, the Titans won without scoring an offensive touchdown.

The strength of the Titans in 2006 was their run game - when Henry was healthy - and their defense. Even with those two strengths they were still woefully average.

But, as I said last year, the NFL isn't about performance anymore, it's about marketing. That's why the league props up the notion that Young and Tony Romo are legitimate QBs. It's a huge joke, of course, but as long as the jerseys sell, the NFL plays along with it. Look how long they've propped up Michael Vick.

Soonermagik
6/25/2007, 11:36 AM
Roy Williams is no speedster, but he has made several interceptions in his career.

schlanker
6/25/2007, 11:40 AM
Did you guys miss the sooner love we got for Kelly Gregg? (I am assuming this is the same DL Kelly Gregg that was on those terrible John Blake Teams)

Big Red Ron
6/25/2007, 11:56 AM
Did you guys miss the sooner love we got for Kelly Gregg? (I am assuming this is the same DL Kelly Gregg that was on those terrible John Blake Teams)Seems like it was missed by most so far. Yes, it is THE Kelly G.

CatfishSooner
6/25/2007, 02:34 PM
"Most underrated players:
1) Wes Welker (hated this guy when he played for Miami)
2) Jason Taylor
3) Arizona WR's"

-by some guy named umassrebel...

I didn't know he went to Miami...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jimminy Crimson
6/25/2007, 03:16 PM
"Most underrated players:
1) Wes Welker (hated this guy when he played for Miami)
2) Jason Taylor
3) Arizona WR's"

-by some guy named umassrebel...

I didn't know he went to Miami...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Psssst! That'd be the Miami Dolphins, not Canes.

Just as a friend, I think Wes should have gotten mention in the article.

Big Red Ron
6/25/2007, 04:47 PM
Who is the most underrated player?

Schlereth: Rams quarterback Marc Bulger. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5197) He consistently performs and has proven he can put up big numbers even without Mike Martz leading the way. This is a talented kid who had to play last season with a shoddy offensive line and still put up big numbers. One of these seasons people are going to wake up and be amazed at the numbers he has amassed.
Hoge: Aaron Smith (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4759) of the Steelers and Kelly Gregg (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4823) of the Baltimore Ravens (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bal) are tied for this one. These are two of the best defensive linemen in the game and the linchpins for their team's defensive success up front. Neither gets the respect he deserves from the pundits, but both are highly regarded by offensive and defensive coordinators around the league.

As to Welker, yes maybe the most under rated cat in the history of football, period.

Desert Sapper
6/25/2007, 10:43 PM
Kelly's Ravens teammates would agree that he is underrated. Ray Lewis has called him out by name in the national media as the heart and soul of that defense.

47straight
6/26/2007, 07:34 AM
Roy Williams was tied for 2nd most interceptions among safeties and tied for 3rd most pass deflections among all safeties (strong and free) in the NFL last year. That's pretty darn good for a strong safety, but even better when you look at the lack production from the rest of the secondary. He doubled up Pat Watkins, the free safety in both categories. He had more interceptions than all the corners combined. He had the same number of interceptions as the entire rest of the defensive backfield, and was 2nd on the team in deflections behind Newman, a corner.

Boomerfreakinsooner
6/26/2007, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=TexasLidig8r]Merrill Hoge is such a tool. All last year and even before the 2006 draft, he was a notorious Vince Young hater... the old, "he'll never make plays in the league, he won't be able to run away from the defenders.. the Titans made a wasted draft pick... he'll never be able to play quarterback.. blah blah blah.."QUOTE]

No love for M-Hoj?

goingoneight
6/26/2007, 07:33 PM
Roy Williams keeps getting blamed for all three of his other DB's failures. He still led the NFL in INT's for a SS, and he's still among the best hitters/tacklers in the league... people who hate on him are just looking for a reason to.

BASSooner
6/26/2007, 11:03 PM
Roy Williams keeps getting blamed for all three of his other DB's failures. He still led the NFL in INT's for a SS, and he's still among the best hitters/tacklers in the league... people who hate on him are just looking for a reason to.
some of those are texass fans who expect WAYYY too much from there players, even in the NFL ;)

Rogue
7/1/2007, 06:01 PM
I went to school with Merrill's younger brother who really is a tool. Merrill is actually a decent guy and still a hero at Idaho State University (Go Bengals).

Jello Biafra
7/1/2007, 07:16 PM
he won't be able to run away from the defenders.. the Titans made a wasted draft pick... he'll never be able to play quarterback.. blah blah blah.."

Having said all that... yes.. the expectations for VY are far too great for this next year.

all we are waiting for is the sprained ankle that will slow him down juuuust enough to get a good shot from a ray lewis/brian urlacher type then vinnie will be on the downward spiral. yeh yeh yeh he can throw pfffttt whatever. the ONLY thing he has going for him right now is speed. we'll see when he's not quite so mobile.....

everyone can see it except whore/titan fans......he's a larger vick that's it. period. hide and watch.