PDA

View Full Version : airplane/pilot types

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2007, 04:51 PM
flying in to DFW last weekend, i noticed that some of the American Airline planes had "fins" on the ends of the wings.......while some did not

i realize that every different model of plane has different features, but this one seemed odd to me given that most commercial airliners have the same wing features

what is the purpose of this "fin thingy", and why dont all the planes have them?

Flagstaffsooner
6/24/2007, 04:57 PM
Those fin thingies are to reduce wing tip vortex instability.
http://www.mae.cornell.edu/fdrl/research/wingvortex.html

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2007, 04:59 PM
wow, that link is so far over my head......but thanks anyway

Turd_Ferguson
6/24/2007, 05:00 PM
The "Winglets", from what I have read, reduce fuel consumption like a muh****er.

BajaOklahoma
6/24/2007, 05:06 PM
I think the article said that the fin thingies are to reduce the air turbulence for the next plane or planes coming along.

Turd_Ferguson
6/24/2007, 05:14 PM
Winglets have the potential to give the following benefits:

Improved climb gradient. This will enable a higher RTOW from climb limited airports (hot, high or noise abatement) or obstacle limited runways.
Reduced climb thrust. A winglet equipped aircraft can typically take a 3% derate over the non-winglet equivalent aircraft. This can extend engine life and reduce maintenance costs.
Environmentally friendly. The derate, if taken, will reduce the noise footprint by 6.5% and NOx emissions by 5%. This could give savings on airport noise quotas or fines.
Reduced cruise thrust. Cruise fuel flow is reduced by up to 6% giving savings in fuel costs and increasing range.
Improved cruise performance. Winglets can allow aircraft to reach higher levels sooner. Air Berlin notes, “Previously, we'd step-climb from 35,000 to 41,000 feet. With Blended Winglets, we can now climb direct to 41,000 feet where traffic congestion is much less and we can take advantage of direct routings and shortcuts which we could not otherwise consider.”
Good looks. Winglets bring a modern look and feel to aircraft, and improve customers' perceptions of the airline.Linky thang (http://www.b737.org.uk/winglets.htm)

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2007, 05:18 PM
thanks

winglet sounds like it comes from applebee's.....

GottaHavePride
6/24/2007, 07:26 PM
Learjet used to be the only company that put those on wings. A lot of manufacturers are doing it now.

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2007, 07:28 PM
southwest had them a few years ago

just seems like AA is going that route now

GottaHavePride
6/24/2007, 07:33 PM
southwest had them a few years ago

just seems like AA is going that route now

Well, yeah. I just mean it doesn't have to do with the airline - it has to do with how new the planes are and who manufactured them. Them suddenly appearing on AA planes means AA just bought some new planes from a company that has started making wings like that since the last time AA purchased planes.

RacerX
6/24/2007, 07:51 PM
Boneless winglets.

soonerboomer93
6/24/2007, 07:52 PM
actually, it's a new option or a retrofit option

(but apparently only on 737's)

click on turd's link...

Turd_Ferguson
6/24/2007, 08:05 PM
737 isn't a huge plane as far as large planes go....however, the winglet being 4' wide and 8' tall kinda puts it in perspective.

actually, it's a new option or a retrofit option

(but apparently only on 737's)

Don't have the link, but I think some of the Regional Jets and most of the Boeing family (72's through 77's) can be retrofitted. Supposedly, AA's 767 fleet will save appoximately 17 million gallons of fuel per year with the 11' tall winglet.:eek:

soonerboomer93
6/24/2007, 08:13 PM
That linky just listed 737's but said others would be on the way. However, I travel on 777's and I'm pretty sure I've seen it on them...

soonerboomer93
6/24/2007, 08:22 PM
oh, apparently they won't go on the 777 because they already have the up curve at the end and a better overall wing design with higher efficiency. It must have been a 757 or a430 I was in that had them...

OUWxGuesser
6/24/2007, 08:43 PM
AA has been retrofitting their 757s with winglets for a year or two now...

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2007, 08:44 PM
Boneless winglets.

the ones at applebees are all bone, easy to choke on.....

RacerX
6/24/2007, 08:47 PM
That's pleasant. You made me clear my throat.

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2007, 08:53 PM
im just saying, beware of the riblet at applebees

dangerous

on the other hand, their ribs.......for a chain restaurant, are pretty damn good

KABOOKIE
6/24/2007, 10:50 PM
Winglets are an "add-on" to improve a wing's efficiency. There's a big debate between Boeing and Cooperate Airliners as to how much efficiency is actually added. Boeing Marketing winos will rave about the plane's added fuel and performance efficiency and how those "winglets" make the plane look sleek. A Boeing Engineer will cringe listening to the Marketing bozo's blabber as they know the efficiency claimed is not necessarily true.

See here's the deal. There's a well known phenomenon that happens as a air flows over a wing. It's called span wise flow and at the edges of a wing the air flow is trying to flow outward instead of passing over the length of the wing. This span wise flow decreases the overall efficiency of a wing usually causing the last several feet of a wing to not produce lift. There are a number of factors that cause the degree of span wise flow but, one attempt to stop this is to put a winglet at the tip. Think of it as a damn stopping the flow of water (in this case air) from flowing outward. This winglet will allow for the entire length of the wing to produce lift causing for improved takeoff, climb performance and low speed handling qualities. However, there's a catch. The increased profile of the winglets add drag therefore reducing cruise speeds and performance i.e. fuel consumption over longer distances. So it's a "wash" (heh aero geeks will laugh). Adding winglets increase efficiency in some areas but reduce it in other. IMHO you've just spent a ton of money on your plane for 0 net benefit. It's the "fart car" modification of airplanes.

Turd_Ferguson
6/24/2007, 11:25 PM
But, the 73NG with them looks cool:D

Viking Kitten
6/25/2007, 12:11 AM
The increased profile of the winglets add drag therefore reducing cruise speeds and performance i.e. fuel consumption over longer distances.

Would it still overall benefit an airline like Southwest that tends to fly shorter hops?

Mmmm. Spicy buffalo winglets.

StoopTroup
6/25/2007, 03:40 AM
I'm pretty sure this will answer most of your questions about winglets.

Aviation Partners Boeing (http://www.aviationpartnersboeing.com/)

TheHumanAlphabet
6/25/2007, 06:20 AM
Continental is doing the same thing, just to add more info, CAL is doing it to extend the range of their A/C. The winglets reduce fuel consumption greatly, or as described by Turd...

AlbqSooner
6/25/2007, 07:03 AM
im just saying, beware of the riblet at applebees

dangerous

on the other hand, their ribs.......for a chain restaurant, are pretty damn good
The riblet at Applebees is not a rib at all. It is a transverse process from the spine.

AlbqSooner
6/25/2007, 07:05 AM
Think of it as a damn stopping the flow of water (in this case air) from flowing outward.
Interestingly, in bridge construction there is a dam of this type used. It is referred to as a "wing dam".

jk the sooner fan
6/25/2007, 07:30 AM
The riblet at Applebees is not a rib at all. It is a transverse process from the spine.

see, that sounds even more dangerous