PDA

View Full Version : A small bit of racial progress in Mississippi

slickdawg
6/24/2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070624/NEWS/706240398

It's nice to see this for a change. I wish more of them damned ex-kluckers would testify against their brethren.

It's also nice to see the black family accept his apology and forgive him.

Yes, blacks in Mississippi are just as guilty as whites for not making much progress over the last 30 years. Both sides are polarizingly racist.

Turd_Ferguson
6/24/2007, 05:04 PM
Spent enough time in Mississippi to learn that they don't call african americans "blacks". They call them Democrats, swear to Gawd.

slickdawg
6/24/2007, 06:52 PM
Spent enough time in Mississippi to learn that they don't call african americans "blacks". They call them Democrats, swear to Gawd.

I know, I lived there 38 years. :O

Okla-homey
6/24/2007, 06:55 PM
ditto in Montgomery AL. It's code. 'Cept they don't capitalize "democrat" and they call it the "democrat party.";)

VeeJay
6/25/2007, 01:21 AM

I have heard blacks referred to in much more heated terms than simply "Democrats."

As much as I portend to know about the South, there's a lot I don't get.

VeeJay
6/25/2007, 01:46 AM
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070624/NEWS/706240398

Yes, blacks in Mississippi are just as guilty as whites for not making much progress over the last 30 years. Both sides are polarizingly racist.

Slick - you hit the nail squarely.

My visit last week to Jackson for my grandfather's funeral was like going back in a time machine. Jackson is a sewer hole - there's hardly a section of it that's suitable for human habitat. And, IMO that is on the shoulders of the black community just as much as it is on Whitey (and believe me, Whitey bears a lot of responsibility). There is no strong black leader who's emerged to get the city out of the sh!thole it's fallen into. And, it's one of the most dangerous places in the U.S. Our funeral procession from Wright & Ferguson to Lakewood took us through a virtual war zone. I was embarassed for Mrs. VJ and my seven year old daughter to see where I grew up.

The city needs a strong black leader who can work with the core business community, and who can successfully navigate Jackson out of the crime statistics. One of the most disgusting things I heard in recent years was when Nissan was preparing to open the huge plant in Canton, just outside town. Some Japs (Nissan executives) were mugged and robbed in their hotel parking lot. Surprisingly, they didn't put the brakes on the project.

The whites have all fled to Rankin and Madison Counties - and I don't blame them. Hell, everybody's getting shot at, beaten, robbed or raped.

But has there been any dialogue? Some members of the Jackson City Council make Sharpton and Farakkhan look like The John Birch Society.

It seems like the whites and blacks just want to continue to one-up each other.

It's "Us" and "Them." Members of my own family, I am sure, are wondering why I am only going to visit for funerals.

Oh, sorry - this was about a civil rights matter.