PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma...

Frozen Sooner
6/22/2007, 04:52 PM
...I have knowledge of something that is an NCAA violation by a player here in town.

Should I:

A) Contact the school and let them know
B) Contact the NCAA
or
C) Do nothing?

The nature of the violation is something that would definitely get caught if it were happening in a less-remote area. As in it's very public. Basically, I think that the school and player are just unaware that what's going on is a violation. I don't think that the school is getting a competitive advantage from the violation, nor do I think the player is getting anything for the violation.

I have no axe to grind against the local university at all.

BajaOklahoma
6/22/2007, 04:55 PM
A. And include the the paragraph and the last sentence in your note.

critical_phil
6/22/2007, 04:59 PM
D. axe them for a bunch of free ****, or else you'll turn them in.

Octavian
6/22/2007, 04:59 PM
:les: D.) Blackmail 'em for money or free tickets!!!

Octavian
6/22/2007, 05:00 PM
damnit, c_p :D

critical_phil
6/22/2007, 05:00 PM
post pwnd

auto
6/22/2007, 05:27 PM
the seawolves suck, nanooks rule baby.

Frozen Sooner
6/22/2007, 05:39 PM
If by "rule" you mean "suck donkey balls" you are correct.

John Kochtoston
6/22/2007, 05:50 PM
I'd go with A, in a written letter.

SoonerStormchaser
6/22/2007, 06:05 PM
You seriously think the NCAA will bring the hammer down on ALASKA??? They're too busy trying to screw us over to know where Alaska even is!

TopDawg
6/22/2007, 06:06 PM
Where's IAmAFormerEmployeeOfTheUniversityOfOklahomaAthleti cDepartment when you need him?

auto
6/22/2007, 06:43 PM
If by "rule" you mean "suck donkey balls" you are correct.

I see your intimately familiar with UAA:D

MiccoMacey
6/22/2007, 07:41 PM
A note to the Athletic Department on what you've observed, and how you believe it to be in violation of the NCAA.

And nothing else. We are not the police, and if they choose not to observe your warning, they'll get caught in the end and pay the price.

This applies to all Universities, not just the one in question. I'd say the same thing if it were OU.

TopDawg
6/22/2007, 07:48 PM
I don't wanna live in Micco's hood. If some suspicious people were around my house, he'd just tell him that he thought they were in violation of the laws and then let them decide whether they should turn themselves in.

;)

PLaw
6/22/2007, 08:01 PM
A note to the Athletic Department on what you've observed, and how you believe it to be in violation of the NCAA.

And nothing else. We are not the police, and if they choose not to observe your warning, they'll get caught in the end and pay the price.

This applies to all Universities, not just the one in question. I'd say the same thing if it were OU.

What he said.

Frozen Sooner
6/22/2007, 08:35 PM

That's sort of where I was leaning with it.

Basically, it has to do with an athlete appearing in commercials for his family's store.

Jack T.
6/22/2007, 10:00 PM
I guess I'll be the odd man out. . .C) MYOB. . .unless the player is from USC or Miami, in which case you should contact the school, the NCAA, the media, Congress, and the U.N.

OSUAggie
6/22/2007, 10:10 PM
UAA has a football team?

insuranceman_22
6/22/2007, 10:27 PM
A - correct choice I believe.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/23/2007, 03:50 AM

Basically, it has to do with an athlete appearing in commercials for his family's store.

That's a tough one, b/c #1 it's ok to receive money from family (gifts). #2 I'm pretty sure it's not against ncaa rules to be in commercials, you just can't be paid for them. Now if a roomate of said athlete starts showing up in commercials, then there might be a problem (see leinart)

This is just from memory so I may be off...

Sooner24
6/23/2007, 09:30 AM
UAA has a football team?

Yes, and I believe Gundy is trying to schedule them next year.

Sooner-N-KS
6/23/2007, 09:32 AM
I think I disagree with most of you. It sounds like it was a violation that was not malicious. The NCAA is heavy-handed and out of touch with reality. I don't think it's any of our business.....unless the athlete is a whorn or a poke. :D :D :D

If you know the athlete, I think I would let him know that it was a violation since he didn't seem to know. Then I would walk away from it.

StoopTroup
6/23/2007, 12:12 PM
If it was SUC...

The NCAA would just yawn and give them a pass.

yermom
6/23/2007, 12:43 PM
how did Colt McBoy get away with it?

Suerreal
6/23/2007, 01:01 PM
A - Written letter expressing concern to the AD and a copy to the University president. Also to the head of the family store - I suspect the last thing they want to do is to bring the wrath of the NCAA down upon the local university.

This sounds like one of those essentially innocent things that seems perfectly natural and logical but runs afoul of NCAA rules.

TopDawg
6/23/2007, 01:26 PM

You tryin to tell me this guy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xiHaqCFQLxA) still has eligibility left?

nmsoonergirl
6/23/2007, 06:13 PM
A - Written letter expressing concern to the AD and a copy to the University president. Also to the head of the family store - I suspect the last thing they want to do is to bring the wrath of the NCAA down upon the local university.

This sounds like one of those essentially innocent things that seems perfectly natural and logical but runs afoul of NCAA rules.

See, this thread just confirms my theory that I am more lazy than most people. I'd either just ignore it, because writing that many letters would take MUCH more effort than I'd want to put into it, or just email the AD at the school with a short email to the effect of "hmmmm, seems like this might be a violation." I definitely wouldn't invest more than about 30 seconds all together.

UNLESS it was a team I hated. Then I'd be obsessed about bringing them down.

JohnnyMack
6/23/2007, 06:24 PM
Nobody likes a snitch.

SoonerInKCMO
6/23/2007, 07:40 PM
Nobody likes a snitch.

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20051018jbSnitchin_450.jpg

GottaHavePride
6/23/2007, 08:40 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1735000/images/_1736201_quidditch150.jpg

KingDavid
6/23/2007, 11:29 PM
If you care about the program or that person . . . then a call or a letter, perhaps?

Otherwise . . . let it go.

RedstickSooner
6/24/2007, 02:07 PM
I thought the NCAA rules were to prevent players from using their fame for profit?

I don't see how this could apply to a player living in Alaska.

:D

(Pointing it out to the AD sounds like the correct thing to do.)

BigRedJed
6/24/2007, 03:04 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1735000/images/_1736201_quidditch150.jpg
Nerdiest.

Post.

Ever.

BigRedJed
6/24/2007, 03:06 PM
And FWIW, I'm guessing the player could appear in a commercial for a family store, but only if he weren't obviously trying to market based on his athletic notoriety. Seems nebulous and subject to much interpretation, yes, but I'm betting that's the case.

BigRedJed
6/24/2007, 03:10 PM
What I mean by that is that if, for instance, Gibson Diffee grew up to be a starting QB for the OU football team, he should be able to continue to be in those family commercials, as long as he didn't start showing up in a jersey, or identifying himself as "OU QB Gibson Diffee..."

OK2LA
6/24/2007, 03:29 PM
What I mean by that is that if, for instance, Gibson Diffee grew up to be a starting QB for the OU football team, he should be able to continue to be in those family commercials, as long as he didn't start showing up in a jersey, or identifying himself as "OU QB Gibson Diffee..."

I think that pretty much sums it up. If he's in the commercial with his uniform on, I think they might have something, but otherwise, I don't think it would be a violation.

. . . . Now, what if under his picture, they put the words: "Joe Athlete - University of Alaska Eskimos - Starting Forward & our son." :confused:

goingoneight
6/24/2007, 06:51 PM
Tell the media about it before we get blamed for Igloo Aggie foulplay!!! :eek:

Frozen Sooner
6/24/2007, 07:13 PM
And FWIW, I'm guessing the player could appear in a commercial for a family store, but only if he weren't obviously trying to market based on his athletic notoriety. Seems nebulous and subject to much interpretation, yes, but I'm betting that's the case.

The NCAA has been very rigid that no athlete will endorse any product unless it was to charitable purpose in the past.

Like I said, I don't think that anyone even thought about it being an NCAA violation. I sent a note to the UAA AD on Friday and got a response that they'd take a look at it.

goingoneight
6/24/2007, 07:17 PM
Wonder how long it will take this news to break on www.orangepower.com ?