PDA

View Full Version : God Bless Firemen...

Okla-homey
6/22/2007, 04:11 PM
This morning, I watched the locally televised services for nine Charleston (SC) FD guys who lost their lives earlier this week in a single fire. Biggest loss of life among firefighters since 9-11. Furniture store roof cave-in. The FD had arrived at about 1800 earlier this week and two engine companies were clearing the "Mathis Bros."-sized retailer of employees when the roof collapsed. The guys ranged in age from early 20's rookies to a guy who had put in thirty years, retired, and had just returned to active duty because he was bored with retired life.

Current theory is that some a-hole threw a lit ciggy in dumpster behind the store near the "designated smoking area" which quickly caught fire and somehow ignited the building. Apparantly, a store crammed full of new furniture really torches up quick.

It was a sad thing to watch. They covered the thing in its entirety on the local news. The pipe band from the FDNY made the trip, along with what seemd like a thousand fire engines from all over the east coast.

God Bless our firefighters. They run IN when we're running OUT.

chisdavis
6/22/2007, 04:31 PM
I thought about something as I watched some news story on some random police officer that may have used excessive force (in the same segment of the Firemen tribute) -- cops really do not get much credit for what they do. Like firemen, they are constantly putting their lives at risk.

Sometimes it seems like the media makes cops look like the bad guys.

CUinNC
6/22/2007, 05:42 PM
Bless those Young men..my BIL went to the services, as well as over 1K of the firemen from NC......RIP to the brave & best of life to those left behind

PEACE