PDA

View Full Version : Cold Hard Facts talks about Sam Bradford.

AimForCenterMass
6/21/2007, 10:46 PM
Says he could be next Colt McCoy. That was about it. I'll bet you can catch it later tonight if you missed it.

BASSooner
6/21/2007, 10:50 PM
I saw that coming. Look who he has all around him...I would say the same thing. He can do it but he just won't have as good of stats as McCoy did because we'll be able to establish a run game compared to texas...

goingoneight
6/21/2007, 11:26 PM
... link?

Don't leave me hangin'.

goingoneight
6/21/2007, 11:34 PM
I saw that coming. Look who he has all around him...I would say the same thing. He can do it but he just won't have as good of stats as McCoy did because we'll be able to establish a run game compared to texas...

He "can" doesn't mean he will. If he limits mistakes, look what Paul Thompson did? PT didn't exactly throw a dead strike most of the time. Watch the Malcom Kelly video and you'll see what I'm saying. If Murray pans out like we all are fairly certain he will, they already have an All BIG 12 candidate in AP, Chris Brown looks to be catching on with his pass-blocking and receiving skills... the TE's and WR's are deadly when used. We're still going to have to wait it out on the OL, though. They had a solid season under Patton, but a good unit doesn't always come out firing right from the get-go.... see: Brent Venables hate mail from early 2006.

I really like what I see for 2007, but I have to be honest, I can see us losing two "shockers" in 2007. Shocker meaning like the 2001 and 2002 Bed-dumb losses or the Aggy 2002, Sand Aggy 2005 games.

I hope to GAWD we don't get ripped off by bad officiating again this year. :mad: All things considered, I see us 10-2, possible BIG 12 Title (unless Colt McCoy gest hurt again and UT falls apart) and BCS berth.

That's not saying Texas beats us, it's saying they out-win us. Like what we did last year. They could drop a single loss in BIG 12 play to us and win out. Think: 2001.

BASSooner
6/21/2007, 11:46 PM
He "can" doesn't mean he will. If he limits mistakes, look what Paul Thompson did? PT didn't exactly throw a dead strike most of the time. Watch the Malcom Kelly video and you'll see what I'm saying. If Murray pans out like we all are fairly certain he will, they already have an All BIG 12 candidate in AP, Chris Brown looks to be catching on with his pass-blocking and receiving skills... the TE's and WR's are deadly when used. We're still going to have to wait it out on the OL, though. They had a solid season under Patton, but a good unit doesn't always come out firing right from the get-go.... see: Brent Venables hate mail from early 2006.

I really like what I see for 2007, but I have to be honest, I can see us losing two "shockers" in 2007. Shocker meaning like the 2001 and 2002 Bed-dumb losses or the Aggy 2002, Sand Aggy 2005 games.

I hope to GAWD we don't get ripped off by bad officiating again this year. :mad: All things considered, I see us 10-2, possible BIG 12 Title (unless Colt McCoy gest hurt again and UT falls apart) and BCS berth.

That's not saying Texas beats us, it's saying they out-win us. Like what we did last year. They could drop a single loss in BIG 12 play to us and win out. Think: 2001.

1st bold statement: OUr OL is INFESTED with talent and experience. I don't see it taking long to fire off from the get-go. BV, however, has had 2 full years of experience as DC and know his weaknesses and I hope he is spending the rest of his summer and working twice as hard in the fall to strengthen his weaknesses which is: failure to launch from the get-go

2nd bold statement: see my thread in smack central

goingoneight
6/22/2007, 12:58 AM
We were supposed to be the best Stoops defense yet in 2006. Now, I wasn't at all couting on that looking at OUr current product versus 2000-2003, but I felt we should have had a WAY better start to 2006. The coaches believed so, too. Sometimes no matter how deep or talented you are, you just kinda slouch a little. Even soem of Stoops more "steallar" teams had weaknesses. 2001 was the drop-off in the passing game. You had MNC receivers, Mark Clayton and Co, Trent Smith, Q... you get it, I'm sure.

I'm not going all NickZepp and predict 6-6, but like the rest of the country, I'm waiting for them to prove something.

yermom
6/22/2007, 01:17 AM
our O-line in 2001 was pretty weak, with new QB's and all that shuffling it was bad

oh yeah, we went 11-2 ;)

i think it comes to the DT's this year, personally. i'm thinking the LB's will be fine, they always seem to be. if the D can do it's job, the QB won't have to do as much, especially with the RBs we have.

reign in the turnovers and don't give up the big play, and we should be fine

Snrfn4ever08
6/22/2007, 01:52 AM
I'm not sure I can agree on having to wait out on the o-line. Our o-line is solid and should be one of the best (if not the best) lines in the nation. Not saying that their opinions really matter, but the talking heads are even touting it as the best in the country, and remember, they hate us. :D

The_Red_Patriot
6/22/2007, 09:04 AM
Hopefully he doesnt have a mangina like Colt does.

Beat up Rhett Bomar all you want, he was one tough S.O.B

NS5
6/22/2007, 09:29 AM
Of course, we want the best. SB had it in high school, what did he forget over
the summer? No, but neither did KN. So, we must wait and let the field results
rule. Speculation is only that !

MojoRisen
6/22/2007, 10:01 AM
I am comfortable with Nichol or Bradford at this point. No way we let those guys throw the ball anyway- so I say Nichol should start - based on his running skills. don't neg me- I hope I am wrong. A&M ring a bell?

I'd rather let these guys play this year and be ready next year 100% to go for a national tittle. We have a good schedule this year but that should not stop progress or we may get killed in the BCS again- which is worse than winning a lessor BCS or major bowl.

Let the boys throw the ball- They are capable and accurate !

NormanPride
6/22/2007, 10:33 AM
our O-line in 2001 was pretty weak, with new QB's and all that shuffling it was bad

oh yeah, we went 11-2 ;)

i think it comes to the DT's this year, personally. i'm thinking the LB's will be fine, they always seem to be. if the D can do it's job, the QB won't have to do as much, especially with the RBs we have.

reign in the turnovers and don't give up the big play, and we should be fine

I think our DTs did pretty well last year. And what we lack in sheer talent we gain in depth. Our DEs are where the trouble lies. They were less than stellar last year, and that's with the talent we had. Now Ah You and Birdine are gone, leaving us with a grade problem (Dotson) and a bunch of greenhorns. Chris Wilson better step up the coaching job, or teams like A&M are going to murder us off the edge.

Taxman71
6/22/2007, 10:39 AM
Kevin Wilson can tailor the pass/run game around the QB's strengths and weaknesses (see PT last year). Thus, the QB that starts is the one who excels mentally....as in limits turnovers, makes good decisions and provides leadership. It doesn't take a cannon or pinpoint accuracy to win in college.

Based on that, I give the edge to Bradford solely b/c he has been in the system longer than Nichols. Not being a coach or player, I don't know how close they are competition-wise.

SoonerMike1991
6/22/2007, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't doubt them.

insuranceman_22
6/22/2007, 10:41 PM
Offensive line (barring several serious injuries) will be a strength this year. Initially teams are going to have to gear up to stop the run on us...until Miami. We'll find out what we've got offensively against them. Personally I think we'll be good. Our line and stable of backs is excellent. WR's and TE are also very good. While I don't expect Bradford or Nichol to be better decision makes than PT was, they are more accurate passers and should have time to throw (usually). If we'll mix it up offensively we should put points up on everybody we face. Don't get me wrong, I like 65-13 in Dallas, but I don't expect it this yr (although we are going to win).

Defense - I certainly agree with the above comments, we better come out of the gates ****ed off at the world. We can't wait until the 6th game to get settled in on D. Interior line should be very strong, as SHOULD

insuranceman_22
6/22/2007, 10:48 PM
(sorry) the secondary. OU always has talent at LB and this year is no different. The interior line should be better than most people think. We've got some serious talent (although young) there. The ends are what scare me. We've ability, but it's young and inexperienced...and you can't hide it. If they play well for the entire season, then gentlemen we'll be very tough to handle on game days. The schedule favors us this year, it could be a very special year for the Sooners.

MojoRisen
6/22/2007, 10:48 PM
Just got some new college pre-season mags

1. Demarco Murray - is a dark horse for the heisman (KR, Half Back and Reciever).

#1. Defensive Backs

#1 & 4 Offense Line

#1 Special Teams

#4 and #7 Wide Recievers

I think we have a shot this year! The OL and RB's could be leathal

Miami will be much improved this year and had 8 games decided by 7 points or less last year. They have 3 All American's back on D

LittleWingSooner
6/22/2007, 11:48 PM
With the OLine and RBs and WRs we have it'll be easier for the QB. The biggest question mark toward next year is the front 7 on defense. We lose a lot from that area and I'm still not sure about our defensive tackles. If we get good play from the defensive tackles we'll have a chance to win it all next year.

HTown77095
6/23/2007, 10:51 AM
Somethin' tells me its going to be Bradford and he's going to be great.

Do we get some vCash if we correctly predict who will be QB this season? :)

okienole3
6/23/2007, 11:34 AM
With the OLine and RBs and WRs we have it'll be easier for the QB. The biggest question mark toward next year is the front 7 on defense. We lose a lot from that area and I'm still not sure about our defensive tackles. If we get good play from the defensive tackles we'll have a chance to win it all next year.

Why are you unsure about our DT? It is DE that you need to be worried about.

LittleWingSooner
6/23/2007, 12:20 PM
Why are you unsure about our DT? It is DE that you need to be worried about.

I think we have talent at DE. Now if Reynolds isn't healthy LB may be a bit of a problem. But the DTs last year were weak. They made it hard for any of the other guys to make plays in the front 7. They were by far the weakest under Stoops. I mean watch them get dominated against a small Boise State line. If you watch that game again they were killed by that front line. Hopefully they are a lot better, but based off last year it's tough to say that right now. That'll be interesting to watch next year. They will also be tested really early on against Miami.

MojoRisen
6/23/2007, 12:50 PM
I am getting a little nervous on the Miami/OU Match up. We better come out and clean clock on D-Fense for that game. I don't think we can afford to give up more than 14 points.

Hoping we are pass wild against North Texas so to be able to throw against Miami in key situations and mix it up on them a bit- They have a top d-line and secondary- I smell another A&M type game here.

Laughing At Texas
6/23/2007, 03:33 PM
SB is a gamer...I have seen him play at various sports since his Hefner Junior High School days here in OKC.

HTown77095
6/23/2007, 03:45 PM
I don't think we'll have much problem w/ Miami. They aren't what they used to be. We certainly don't want to look past them though. 1st year coaches usually have a few losses. One will be to OU:D

I am more concerned with Hook 'em than Miami at this point

Big Red Ron
6/24/2007, 10:45 AM
Next season, at Miami, could derail our NC season.

OU Adonis
6/24/2007, 10:54 AM
Next season, at Miami, could derail our NC season.

Yeah that place is a snake pit with their rabbid fans.

:D

SoonerStormchaser
6/24/2007, 11:06 AM
Miami will be much improved this year and had 8 games decided by 7 points or less last year. They have 3 All American's back on D

I hate to break it to you Mojo, but the majority of those games were against ****ty teams.

SoonerStormchaser
6/24/2007, 11:07 AM
Hoping we are pass wild against North Texas so to be able to throw against Miami in key situations and mix it up on them a bit- They have a top d-line and secondary- I smell another A&M type game here.

Shhhhh...don't tell that to the Mean Green fans on their fanboard...they're expecting to come up here and lay a smackin on us.

MojoRisen
6/24/2007, 11:22 AM
Miami is going to be better than last year- we better have all cylinders going - Defense will win this game - but we need to put up 24 points.

They beat some top 20 teams last year - and lost some close ones- we didn't exactly blow anyone out- I think we are better this year - but I expect it too be a defensive battle and hopefully we are aggressive enough to cause some turn overs - and not turn over the ball ourselves.

Match up wise early - this is a real test.... I hope we smack them hard in the mouth - and jump out on them to an arse whooping though.

Sooner74
6/24/2007, 06:37 PM
Well let us see. I just don't like people saying Miami is going to be better because they lost close games and they beat some top 20 teams last season. If this were true the whole damn ACC could beat OU and that is a foresaken lie. Now Miami could possible be better ,but I think they will be along the same lines as last year playing for a 3rd string spot in the state of Florida.

goingoneight
6/24/2007, 06:43 PM
I'm still trying to figure out where exactly this thread came from. Did he say somethign on the news? It's totally not like him to be that arrogant, even though it is OU/TX we're talking here.

If he said something like... "I have a great team to work with, much like Colt McCoy had with Texass last year..." I could see that as a comparison. But saying "I'll be as good or better than Colt" is weak smack. Get out there and put up some numbers first, dood. When ESPN starts mentioning you and "Heisman" in the same sentence, then you can compare yourself to a record-setting freshmen all you want. Albeit, it's a whorn, so who cares at that point?

goingoneight
6/24/2007, 06:44 PM
Well let us see. I just don't like people saying Miami is going to be better because they lost close games and they beat some top 20 teams last season. If this were true the whole damn ACC could beat OU and that is a foresaken lie. Now Miami could possible be better ,but I think they will be along the same lines as last year playing for a 3rd string spot in the state of Florida.

So is Schnellenboozer really a close second? :D

Shneeg11
6/24/2007, 08:25 PM
SB is a gamer...I have seen him play at various sports since his Hefner Junior High School days here in OKC.

He went to Cooper, but ya, same thing

Sooner74
6/24/2007, 09:43 PM
I would say USF. :texan:

Jdog
6/24/2007, 11:28 PM
I think we have talent at DE. Now if Reynolds isn't healthy LB may be a bit of a problem. But the DTs last year were weak. They made it hard for any of the other guys to make plays in the front 7. They were by far the weakest under Stoops. I mean watch them get dominated against a small Boise State line. If you watch that game again they were killed by that front line. Hopefully they are a lot better, but based off last year it's tough to say that right now. That'll be interesting to watch next year. They will also be tested really early on against Miami.

The Fort Worth Star Telegram recently ran an interview with Remi Ayodele, who had said that he had learned so much from his new coaches with the Galaxy that he thought he was ready for the Cowboys. The artical left the impression that he was missing something out of college. After the Boise game I would have to say that the defense will be a work in progress.

goingoneight
6/25/2007, 12:22 AM
Still waiting...

Tear Down This Wall
6/25/2007, 09:57 AM
Says he could be next Colt McCoy. That was about it. I'll bet you can catch it later tonight if you missed it.

Let's hope not because McCoy proved he couldn't stay healthy for a season, and doesn't have a Big 12 Championship under his belt. The OU-Texas game was ridiculous. Our DE coach masquerading as a Secondary coach had tailback D.J. Wolfe at corner that game and McCoy didn't exploit it until the second half.

Sooner74
6/25/2007, 06:38 PM
All I know is that Miami will be a challenge. Obviously being the homer I am I think Bradford will not be starting and we have Nichol in their of course. Nichol throws for a modest 250 yds against a superior Miami Defense and then the cops come arrest half of Miami's team at half time and they are forced to forfeit.

jccouger
6/25/2007, 07:04 PM
I'm still trying to figure out where exactly this thread came from. Did he say somethign on the news? It's totally not like him to be that arrogant, even though it is OU/TX we're talking here.

If he said something like... "I have a great team to work with, much like Colt McCoy had with Texass last year..." I could see that as a comparison. But saying "I'll be as good or better than Colt" is weak smack. Get out there and put up some numbers first, dood. When ESPN starts mentioning you and "Heisman" in the same sentence, then you can compare yourself to a record-setting freshmen all you want. Albeit, it's a whorn, so who cares at that point?

Bradford wasnt on cold hard facts. They were just talking about the OU QB situation and mentioned that bradford could be as good as colt was last year. Bradford has never mentioned anything about this.

goingoneight
6/25/2007, 07:49 PM
All I know is that Miami will be a challenge. Obviously being the homer I am I think Bradford will not be starting and we have Nichol in their of course. Nichol throws for a modest 250 yds against a superior Miami Defense and then the cops come arrest half of Miami's team at half time and they are forced to forfeit.

A true freshmen throwing for 250 against Miami??? That would be cool, but we agree to disagree. No offense to Nichol, I do think he'll be great when he plays, but I have the feeling Bradford is ahead of them both right now because he made better decisions overall and constantly receives praise from his coaches for it.

I know, I know... it's off-season and no one knows anything for sure. I just hope that if Bradford pans out alright that we can hold onto Jones and Nichol. Everyone else in the country can hold onto players for as much as five years, I'm sick of us having to start all over everytime a good 'ern graduates.

Big Red Ron
6/26/2007, 08:37 AM
No offense to Nichol, I do think he'll be great when he plays, but I have the feeling Bradford is ahead of them both right now because he made better decisions overall and constantly receives praise from his coaches for it.

I just hope Sam doesn't have a nervous or bad game in his first start cuz, he'll be playing WR in short order.

;)

Tear Down This Wall
6/26/2007, 09:22 AM
I just hope Sam doesn't have a nervous or bad game in his first start cuz, he'll be playing WR in short order.

;)

...or moved to corner! :D

MojoRisen
6/26/2007, 01:05 PM

Miami has a lot comming back, they had a ton of distractions last year and Coker definitely lost controll of that team.

They beat BC late and I would assume they are going to be a legit top 20 team with a sound Defense. So in that case I would bet they are every bit as good as an A&M or OK St and we barely beat em. So my point is we better be able to throw against one of the best D lines in the Country and a top 5 secondary. Frosh Quarterback against a top 10 defense if not higher is a bit nerve racking.

Sooner74
6/26/2007, 05:13 PM
Yes, they do have lots coming back. They also have a lot to prove. The ACC was a wacky conference last year with Wake being as good as they were and some of the powerhouses being down. They will be forced to prove something before people can say anything. Bringing in a new coach was a good decision getting rid of the coaches from 2 years ago was a bad one. I hope their defensive philosophy will be kin to that of the great miami d's or else I believe this OU offense will hang some numbers in the 40's. It is a crap shoot now though.

wdupyall
6/26/2007, 09:56 PM
I think OU will wear down Miami's Dline sometime later in the 3rd quarter...their DE's are nice, but they have no depth at DT. Are big Oline will lean and bang on them long enough for our backs to break some runs and put the game away. I think Finely and or Gresham could have big days against Miami's man to man coverage, not to mention Malcolm Kelly.

OU 31
UM 13

goingoneight
6/26/2007, 10:04 PM
"Are big Oline???"

:D Sorry, I just had to pick on the n00b. Welcome aboard, wdupyall.

Sooner74
6/26/2007, 11:27 PM
I think OU will wear down Miami's Dline sometime later in the 3rd quarter...their DE's are nice, but they have no depth at DT. Are big Oline will lean and bang on them long enough for our backs to break some runs and put the game away. I think Finely and or Gresham could have big days against Miami's man to man coverage, not to mention Malcolm Kelly.

OU 31
UM 13

I'm glad we can have a decent conversation on the board for once. I have to humbly disagree about you saying their Defensive Line will break down. I believe this Miami Defense is the strength of their team and their line can and will hold up and if not they have tons of different schemes they can work in. What I am interested in is what kind of plays we can run in the short patterns. The Cane team is incredibly talented in the secondary and we need to find a way to pick up yardage other than running. I think if we throw the pigskin short into the middle of the field we stand the best shot. Our strength in that game will definately be accuracy of the QB. Miami will be ready to play and little mistakes will kill us. We can't rely on the run in this game either. With that said, a balanced short attack is the way to go against this defense.

KantoSooner
6/26/2007, 11:41 PM
something like, say, running Kelly wide and then bringing Murray in motion to the flat underneath him? I'd like to see Murray in Miami's secondary.

BASSooner
6/27/2007, 02:15 AM
something like, say, running Kelly wide and then bringing Murray in motion to the flat underneath him? I'd like to see Murray in Miami's secondary.
That's a pretty hefty order. Murray is going to be a star, don't get me wrong, but that cane secondary is and will always be something special.

htownsooner7
6/27/2007, 05:34 AM
I'm afraid the staff will put our QB on the "don't lose the game" plan that has been there so often the last 3 years. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Putting a less-than confident QB on edge furthers the situation. I mean, how scared were we to throw the ball at A&M last year.. Wind aside, we never let PT get into rhythm so we had to hold onto that lead for dear life in the 2nd half. May not have even deserved that one. It's like a pitcher, you have to establish a breaking ball early or it won't be there later in the game. Here, we have to get our QB's in space and throwing the ball early in the game or their confidence will wain.

MojoRisen
6/27/2007, 06:09 AM
I'm glad we can have a decent conversation on the board for once. I have to humbly disagree about you saying their Defensive Line will break down. I believe this Miami Defense is the strength of their team and their line can and will hold up and if not they have tons of different schemes they can work in. What I am interested in is what kind of plays we can run in the short patterns. The Cane team is incredibly talented in the secondary and we need to find a way to pick up yardage other than running. I think if we throw the pigskin short into the middle of the field we stand the best shot. Our strength in that game will definately be accuracy of the QB. Miami will be ready to play and little mistakes will kill us. We can't rely on the run in this game either. With that said, a balanced short attack is the way to go against this defense.

This I agree with- if they have weakness on D it is inexperienced Line Backers Vrs our Slot recievers and TE's keep it away from the DB's and occassionally get em cheating up for the Run or mid range game and take some shots down feild to Kelley or Tennel!

KantoSooner
6/27/2007, 07:47 AM
Yup. But from what little we've seen so far, Murray has some pretty special ability to make people miss him. (he embarassed a couple of OU corners and they are not shabby). Give him a little space and the pucker factor for ANY secondary is going to be huge. And that's not dissing Miami's D whatsoever.

But it's really up to him, if he'd rather start in the backfield and go through their line before getting into their secondary, I'm okay with that, too.

Tear Down This Wall
6/27/2007, 03:11 PM
I'm afraid the staff will put our QB on the "don't lose the game" plan that has been there so often the last 3 years. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Putting a less-than confident QB on edge furthers the situation. I mean, how scared were we to throw the ball at A&M last year.. Wind aside, we never let PT get into rhythm so we had to hold onto that lead for dear life in the 2nd half. May not have even deserved that one. It's like a pitcher, you have to establish a breaking ball early or it won't be there later in the game. Here, we have to get our QB's in space and throwing the ball early in the game or their confidence will wain.

I've noticed that, too. But, it's been going on longer than that. In 2001, they had Hybl throwing tons of screens to Q to open the season. Josh Heupel is the only QB they've ever let cut loose from day one...and Mike Leach was the OC.

Anyway, I just want to get through a season without the merry-go-round secondary line-ups for a change.