PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you say about potential

SoonerJLB
6/21/2007, 05:12 PM
recruits on college football message boards. Recruits as well as their parents and family frequent them.

I saw this thread on the WeAreSC.com board.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=15&F=1720#S=15&F=1720&T=643039&P=1

Reagrding a recruit named Manti Te'o (he looks like a good get for some team)

http://byu.scout.com/2/652713.html

Then the father comes on at the bottom of page 2 on the thread and it gets interesting.

laiepoint
3 posts
It's been interesting reading the thread about my son. I don't think I'll have him read it since he's always been a USC fan since he started attending Pete Carrol's camp in the 8th grade. Pete Carrol did speak to Manti and I a few weeks ago over the phone. Coach Carroll did verbally offer a scholarship to Manti and confirmed that offer with me. He also said the SC has never offered any sophomore in the past, so needless to say we were humbled by the gesture. I will tell you that my son Manti was "ecstatic" to say the least. But I do know that there is ONE thing that will turn him off, and that is a blaitant disrespect for him and the religion that he believes defines him. Coach Carrol has offered Manti his support for serving a mission. IN Coach Carrol's own words, "ONce a Trojan, always a Trojan". For that I have the deepest respect for him. I don't care what others have said about him here in Hawaii or even in Utah. Coach Carrol explained to me why the university adopted that philosophy and I respect that. Manti has just as much a chance to be Trojan as he has to be a Cougar (at BYU). The decision will be his.
The comment about the "USC campus" was "misinterpreted" to say the least. When I read the article yesterday I was put back a bit since some of MY words were misrepresented. We've (Manti and I) have attended USC's camp since 2005 along with his cousin Shiloah (from Kahuku). We love the campus, and the tradition of football excellence. That's why we've always gone every summer despite the cost of travel. The surrounding community is one where my brother once roamed and the stories he's shared regarding gang activity and other negative influences has placed "caution" in the wind as far as USC is concerned.....but it hasn't deterred Manti. USC is his first love. Let's see how the cards play out.

I'm glad there are some on this forum that respect our beliefs. It means a lot to our family.

BASSooner
6/21/2007, 05:24 PM
I hope Mack's daddy and/or brother don't come on here ;)

Scott D
6/21/2007, 05:37 PM
It'd be nice if more 'fans' would be considerate of that possibility in terms of all potential recruits. The ridiculous crap people spout regarding a player is silly, and with the continued growth of the internet and access, eventually message boards could play a factor in kids picking one school over another.

That being said, I still hate Punahou. (glad pg doesn't read this side of the board) :D

KC//CRIMSON
6/21/2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.scott-porter.com/images/tommy.jpg

damn, that's gotta hurt.

goingoneight
6/21/2007, 08:38 PM
Let's brag about "potential recruits" who succccc. Maybe everyone at Rivals will start adding stars and SUC will pick them up. :D