PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Gets Probation - I Hate The NCAA Vol. 293857

JohnnyMack
6/21/2007, 03:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2911946

DENVER -- The University of Colorado is being punished by the NCAA for inadvertently undercharging 133 student-athletes for meals totaling $61,700 over six academic years.

The violations, announced Thursday, are considered "major," the infractions committee said.

The school was placed on two years' probation, fined $100,000 to be paid to a hunger- or homeless-relief charity and ordered to cut one football scholarship for the next three seasons.

The NCAA said the violations were discovered by the university's athletic staff, which promptly reported them. The NCAA found the impermissible benefits for walk-on student-athletes from 2000-01 through 2005-06.

The NCAA said Colorado failed to monitor training table regulations adequately.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/21/2007, 03:58 PM
So, the NCAA once again shows the benefit of "self-reporting" :rolleyes: can't wait for OU's ruling

CU Sooner
6/21/2007, 03:59 PM
Walk-ons? I guarantee you they undercharged regular students as well. What are they going to do to them?

BASSooner
6/21/2007, 04:01 PM
Hmmm, might as well call it the Peoples' NCAA and carve statue of a hammer and sickle..and paint it red.

yermom
6/21/2007, 04:02 PM
wtf?

Sooner in Tampa
6/21/2007, 04:35 PM
what an effin joke the NCAA has become!!!

NormanPride
6/21/2007, 04:36 PM
Reduce a scholly? Hmm... Did their transgression give them that much of an advantage over other teams? I certainly don't think so. Stick with the fine and maybe reduce the amount they can spend on recruiting? But don't limit the scholly...

sooner_born_1960
6/21/2007, 04:53 PM
Offering financial aide to so-called walk-ons is a major violation, folks. The NCAA had to do something.

NormanPride
6/21/2007, 05:04 PM
Financial aid != oops we forgot the blue plate was supposed to be 8.50 not 6.50

Scott D
6/21/2007, 05:40 PM
Walk-ons? I guarantee you they undercharged regular students as well. What are they going to do to them?

I doubt regular students had access to that cafeteria

ric311
6/21/2007, 06:10 PM
I'm simply flabbergasted at this. If you do the math, it comes to something like $1.50 a day per student. Un-freaking-believable.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush's family is doing just fine with all the money he made while playing at USC. No, there's no double standard at the NCAA. None at all.

zeke
6/21/2007, 06:17 PM
I dont like Colorado at all but this sucks. ncaa is a JOKE

The Maestro
6/21/2007, 06:26 PM
Coach Hawkins reaction to the probation was quite a rant...

"It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals!

Go eat with the intramurals, brother...go eat with intramurals!"

Scott D
6/21/2007, 06:42 PM
I'm simply flabbergasted at this. If you do the math, it comes to something like $1.50 a day per student. Un-freaking-believable.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush's family is doing just fine with all the money he made while playing at USC. No, there's no double standard at the NCAA. None at all.

once again, the NCAA has to wait in line behind this thing called the Federal Government in this matter.

Soonerfan88
6/21/2007, 10:18 PM
So, the NCAA once again shows the benefit of "self-reporting" :rolleyes: can't wait for OU's ruling

I believe the biggest issue here is over six academic years!! If they had caught it the first year and said "oops, sorry" they probably would have gotten a slap on the hand. But for SIX YEARS?? Now that it true "failure to monitor" in my book.

goingoneight
6/21/2007, 10:37 PM
Well, Kelvin Sampson made over 500 (but if you ask anyone in orange the number grows by the thousand every second) "impermissable phone calls to recruits over the course of five years."

Look at your phone bills at the end of the year and tell me you don't have at least 100 BS phone calls. We got hammered for "cheating" and were insulted by everyone across the country.

Yet not so far away, in a pit called Stoolwater... another basketball coach gest drunk and pilled out, drives a car, then hits someone. He later gets into the hall of fame and is labeled "Sportsman of the Year" and is labeled a "hero" and a model citizen. People praise his boring, monotone self on the Sports Animal saying just the same. What a guy!!! Did we mention his "cheating" at Kentucky? Of course not, paying recruits is not as bad as phone calls. :rolleyes:

The media and the NCAA **** people over by choice, not by merit of injustice. How many times did you hear USC or Texas associated with their run-ins with the NCAA the last few years? Got a hint for ya... they've historically been just as "bad" as us or anyone else with "violations."

All things considered, when OUr program handles things with dignity, class and sacrifice... they're still boned right out of the gates. Was it REALLY necessary to mention Bomar before, during and after EVERY game in 2006? Was it REALLY necessary to mention the NCAA and their probing around when kids from all across the country were on hand in Norman looking at OU as a possible school to get their college education? How about the thousands of others nationally watching the Spring Game? We get one little commercial from Boren representing the University of Oklahoma, and 30 minutes of rehashing something EVERYONE already knew about.

OU Adonis
6/21/2007, 10:38 PM
Failure to monitor the cost of a meal?

goingoneight
6/22/2007, 01:00 AM
Jeez, no wonder nobody else offered Tha LOAD... only we can afford him. :D

AlbqSooner
6/22/2007, 06:31 AM
Jeez, no wonder nobody else offered Tha LOAD... only we can afford him. :D
The NCAA was already dealing with the Colorado undercharging at the time Loadholt was being recruited. He did not go there because, out of an abundance of caution, Colorado underfed him.:D

Flagstaffsooner
6/22/2007, 12:35 PM
The EDSBS take on it (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=3541)

North Dakota Sooner
6/22/2007, 12:48 PM
Coach Hawkins reaction to the probation was quite a rant...

"It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals!

Go eat with the intramurals, brother...go eat with intramurals!"

Now thats funny right there

ric311
6/22/2007, 06:55 PM
I believe the biggest issue here is over six academic years!! If they had caught it the first year and said "oops, sorry" they probably would have gotten a slap on the hand. But for SIX YEARS?? Now that it true "failure to monitor" in my book.

You do realize that as of Aug 1, 2007 these "infractions" are no longer considered illegal?

Do you also realize that the person who was in charge of monitoring these "infractions" is now employed by the NCAA? She had to leave and go to work for the NCAA before they were caught by her replacement.