PDA

View Full Version : Grass/turf/bermuda expert be-ers

Hamhock
6/21/2007, 08:09 AM
Aeration: Is it worth the cost/effort?

Clearly, I'm in search of the personal experiences and opinions of the members of this board. Said matter cannot be ascertained by simply doing a Google search. Anyone suggesting that Google is anything but the devil, will be the recipient of a 2 day ban.

TopDaugIn2000
6/21/2007, 08:11 AM
http://www.ryanlawn.com/resource/aeration.jpg

sooner_born_1960
6/21/2007, 08:12 AM
With all this rain, I have to mow every 4 days. Why in the world would I want to help it grow?

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2007, 08:12 AM
it helped my yard, but its a muddy mess for a couple of weeks

Hamhock
6/21/2007, 08:17 AM
With all this rain, I have to mow every 4 days. Why in the world would I want to help it grow?

my grass is growing great, in most spots. i've got a few patches that aren't doing so well and some bare spots up near the house.

springs sooner
6/21/2007, 08:24 AM
aerating is good if you have a hard soil and need to get water and air down to the roots. if you have grub worms they do it for you at no charge.

for the bare spots and stuff just try some turf builder and some patch repair grass seed. worked for me

Hamhock
6/21/2007, 08:28 AM
aerating is good if you have a hard soil and need to get water and air down to the roots. if you have grub worms they do it for you at no charge.

for the bare spots and stuff just try some turf builder and some patch repair grass seed. worked for me

aren't grub worms bad for the lawn? truegreen wants me to pay kill them.

i actually wouldn't mind some free bait in the lawn.

Mjcpr
6/21/2007, 08:29 AM
i actually wouldn't mind some queer bait in the lawn.

Have you considered a Howzit gnome?

Turd_Ferguson
6/21/2007, 08:30 AM
Aeration, from my understanding, is for turf that is kept very short (as in putting green short) or for hard pan soil areas.

....i've got a few patches that aren't doing so well and some bare spots up near the house.
Thin or yellowish spots, unless shade related, are typically grubs/june bugs. Triazicide from Walmalart works great on the grubs.

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2007, 08:35 AM
mine got aerated before we got all that rain, i didnt have to water it at all!

and its VERY thick right now

Hamhock
6/21/2007, 08:35 AM
mine got aerated before we got all that rain, i didnt have to water it at all!

and its VERY thick right now

do you use a service?

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2007, 08:36 AM
you cant treat for grub worms in the middle of the summer, i think you have to wait till november to do that

jk the sooner fan
6/21/2007, 08:37 AM
do you use a service?

yeah i just started using one this year.....best thing i ever did

the weeds are under control - hopefully they'll attack the crab grass soon, but i dont think its hot enough yet

TopDaugIn2000
6/21/2007, 08:38 AM
http://www.bookofjoe.com/images/126896zz.jpg

make sure you wear slacks and dress shoes too.

Hamhock
6/21/2007, 08:39 AM
http://www.bookofjoe.com/images/126896zz.jpg

make sure you wear slacks and dress shoes too.

keep your secks chair accessories out of my lawn thread.

springs sooner
6/21/2007, 08:39 AM
aren't grub worms bad for the lawn? truegreen wants me to pay kill them.

i actually wouldn't mind some free bait in the lawn.

to many of them can be bad yes, but since they are diggers they do a natrual aeration. Keeps the soil from getting really compacted. i do usually aerate once a year. but i live in Colorado and the soil has a tendency to get compacted pretty good

CobraKai
6/21/2007, 11:32 AM
If you do aerate you may want to round up some neighbors and do it together. One year I paid Chemlawn to do it for $100. The next year me and about 6 neighbors kicked in $5 each and rented one from Sooner Rental. It took about 2 hours to get everyone's lawn, and saved alot of $$$. I think we spent the savings on beer for a cookout that night.