PDA

View Full Version : Holy Carp

Sooner in Tampa
6/21/2007, 06:32 AM
By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON
(AP)
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Police on Wednesday were pleading for witnesses to help them track down members of an angry mob that beat a man to death after the car he was riding in apparently struck and injured a child.
Investigators were struggling to piece together what happened Tuesday when David Rivas Morales died defending the driver from members of a crowd. There could have been anywhere from two to 20 attackers, Austin Police Commander Harold Piatt said.
The car in which Morales, 40, was a passenger had entered an apartment complex's parking lot when it struck a 2-year-old boy, Piatt said. The boy was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The driver got out of the car to check on the child and was confronted by several people, Piatt said. When they attacked the driver, Morales got out of the car to protect the driver and was attacked as well. Police said no guns or knives were used.

OU4LIFE
6/21/2007, 06:54 AM
so, the illegals are killing each other.....

[Montgomery Burns] Excellent [/MB]

47straight
6/21/2007, 07:36 AM
so, the illegals are killing each other.....

I think that the folks in the mob have been here in America since their ancestors were brought here against their will on ships in the 17-1800s.

47straight
6/21/2007, 07:40 AM
And contrary to whatever else they say - the beating was racially motivated.

OU4LIFE
6/21/2007, 07:45 AM
I think that the folks in the mob have been here in America since their ancestors were brought here against their will on ships in the 17-1800s.

without more information, I can't say. The ONLY surname I saw was Morales...and he sure wasn't brought here on a boat.

OU4LIFE
6/21/2007, 07:46 AM

against their will, and sold by their own....let's not forget that part.

Sooner in Tampa
6/21/2007, 08:21 AM
the rest of the story...

The driver got away and is cooperating with investigators. Police identified the child as Michael Hosea Jr.

There were conflicting accounts of how many people were in the area. Police originally estimated 2,000 to 3,000 and a woman who lives at the complex said hundreds who had been at a Juneteenth festival filled the parking lot and street.
But late Wednesday police spokeswoman Toni Chovanetz said only 20 people were in the area where the assault occurred.

Chovanetz also said there was no connection to the nearby city-sponsored festival for Juneteenth, which commemorates Texas slaves getting the word that they had been freed.
Margaret Morales said a young boy came to her door to tell her that her brother was lying on the ground outside. She found David Morales, sprawled on the pavement 100 feet from her townhouse, battered and choking on blood.

She said her mother came running after hearing her screams, but police wouldn't let either of them get close to him.
Police arrived one minute after receiving a 911 call, by which time the beating had stopped, Chovanetz said. But the Morales family complained that medical help was slow in coming.

Chovanetz said witnesses told police that three or four men attacked Morales, knocking him to the ground. A man got out of another vehicle and hit Morales again, Chovanetz said.
David Morales arrived at the hospital about 35 minutes after the 911 call was received, said Warren Hassinger, Austin-Travis County Emergency Services spokesman. Emergency officials said police ordered them to wait until the area was secure.

Several hundred people had filled the parking lot and street as the daylong festival at a nearby park ended and spilled over into the surrounding neighborhoods, said Katherine White, a Morales family friend who lives in a townhouse next door to where the beating took place.
Margaret Morales said her brother, who was staying with her, was a painter on his way home from work. The driver, whom she knew only as Victor, picked him up and dropped him off everyday, she said.

The Morales family remembered David as a caring brother who loved the San Antonio Spurs and was thrilled when they won the NBA title last week. Earl White, Katherine's brother, said David Morales enjoyed sitting on the porch, watching the neighborhood children play in the parking lot. "I just want the people caught and brought to justice," another sister, Elizabeth Morales, said. "I want them to feel the same pain that they caused my brother."

Osce0la
6/21/2007, 09:45 AM
There were conflicting accounts of how many people were in the area. Police originally estimated 2,000 to 3,000 and a woman who lives at the complex said hundreds who had been at a Juneteenth festival filled the parking lot and street.

They're about 10 days late for that festival. It is junetweentyfirst now...it was junetweentieth when this happened after a juneteenth festival...

OU Adonis
6/21/2007, 10:01 AM

There is a large amount of irish people in texas?

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2007, 10:12 AM
They're about 10 days late for that festival. It is junetweentyfirst now...it was junetweentieth when this happened after a juneteenth festival...

This happened on Tuesday, June 19th. That is the day it's celebrated in Texas.

Osce0la
6/21/2007, 10:41 AM
This happened on Tuesday, June 19th. That is the day it's celebrated in Texas.
Yeah, I can't read...I saw police were looking for people Wednesday, took that as it happened Wednesday :rolleyes:

I was educated in the state of Alabama, take it easy on me...:O

Scott D
6/21/2007, 10:47 AM
that's the day it's celebrated nationwide.

StoopTroup
6/21/2007, 10:48 AM
There is a large amount of irish people in texas?
To much Green Beer at the Festival?

LOL...

:pop:

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2007, 10:58 AM
that's the day it's celebrated nationwide.

Only cause that's when Texas celebrates it! ;)

Scott D
6/21/2007, 11:00 AM
Only cause that's when Texas celebrates it! ;)

I think when I'm dictator for life, I'm giving Texas back to Mexico and putting a fence up at the red river.

OU4LIFE
6/21/2007, 11:17 AM
I think when I'm dictator for life, I'm giving Texas back to Mexico and putting a fence up at the red river.

I'll vote for you, now.

colleyvillesooner
6/21/2007, 11:19 AM
Let me know so I can get the hell out first. :D

47straight
6/21/2007, 01:05 PM
against their will, and sold by their own....let's not forget that part.

Accept it. Mr. Morales wasn't beaten by illegals. The perps been here for a long time and are regular 'mericans.

47straight
6/21/2007, 01:12 PM
without more information, I can't say. The ONLY surname I saw was Morales...and he sure wasn't brought here on a boat.

And in your complete and utter ignorance about east austin you automatically assumed it must be other (you assume) illegal immigrants.

And in your complete and utter ignorance about hispanics in austin you automatically assume that his forebears weren't already here before Texas became part of the United States. They're just as likely to be a 5th generation american around here. Which beats me by 3.

Mjcpr
6/21/2007, 01:13 PM
And in your complete and utter ignorance about east austin you automatically assumed it must be other (you assume) illegal immigrants.

And in your complete and utter ignorance about hispanics in austin you automatically assume that his forebears weren't already here before Texas became part of the United States. They're just as likely to be a 5th generation american around here. Which beats me by 3.

Maybe you should go back to where you came from?

:D

Scott D
6/21/2007, 01:13 PM
Let me know so I can get the hell out first. :D

you'll be the first to be deported back to the People's Republic of Texico.

47straight
6/21/2007, 06:07 PM
Maybe you should go back to where you came from?

:D

:)

I have! The wommin are hawt and it's pretty darn cheap.

OU4LIFE
6/22/2007, 02:59 PM
and yet you came back.

weird.

A little touchy aren't you?