PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Music as picked by musicians...

OUAndy1807
6/20/2007, 08:03 PM
http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/story/0,,2102991,00.html
interesting take, especially from Mr. Coyne.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 08:10 PM
i almost got killed for suggesting that Nevermind was overrated.

side 2 is weak.

i think Franz Ferdinand is one of the most overrated bands ever. their best record has already been made by Modest Mouse or was already called Talking Heads 77. you choose.

if Franz Ferdinand makes a record half as good as Marquee Moon, i'll be impressed.

everyone knows white light/white heat and VU are better than Nico.

also, everyone knows the best smiths record is not Meat is Murder.

royalfan5
6/20/2007, 08:12 PM
I agree with Mr. Coyne. I also agree with the assertion that Franz Ferdinand sucks.

GottaHavePride
6/20/2007, 08:18 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't get all the love for Dark Side of the Moon.

OUAndy1807
6/20/2007, 08:22 PM
I like Nevermind, but it might be nostalgia. I might like side 2 better than side 1. Territorial ****ings, On a Plain, and Drain You are all solid offerings from side B. Polly, Breed, Lithium are not as good IMO and I get sick of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

In summation: I like side b of Nevermind better than side a.

OUAndy1807
6/20/2007, 08:23 PM
also, I never understood Stone Roses or Captain Beefheart love (or the Pretenders for that matter)

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 08:31 PM
stone roses are overrated, but i admit maybe there is something there i don't get *yet*. i'm open to that possi-hillbill-ity.

beefheart is great. i don't know how to say it. i never gpt it too. replica is hard to listen to. i can't explain it. for me, it was tequila, marijuana, and the spotlight kid. it all made sense after that.

thenotman
6/20/2007, 08:32 PM
You're going to think, "Who is this band that sounds just like Nickelback? What are these drug addicts going on about?"

Well I would think Nickleback sounds like Nickelback due to Nirvana, not the other way around.

Overrated, sure, but the impact it had on the mainstream is undeniable. I think of that genre Badmotorfinger and Facelift blow it out of the water, not to mention the more obscure stuff such as Louder than Love and other Seattle products. But there is a lot of music that is out there that the novice music fan misses becaue its not the "In thing" or pimped by Clear Channel. It was great to see Nirvana come to the scene and kill the HAIR.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 08:38 PM
Well I would think Nickleback sounds like Nickelback due to Nirvana, not the other way around.

Overrated, sure, but the impact it had on the mainstream is undeniable. I think of that genre Badmotorfinger and Facelift blow it out of the water, not to mention the more obscure stuff such as Louder than Love and other Seattle products. But there is a lot of music that is out there that the novice music fan misses becaue its not the "In thing" or pimped by Clear Channel. It was great to see Nirvana come to the scene and kill the HAIR.

Louder than Love is a great record. word up.

JohnnyMack
6/20/2007, 08:41 PM
Mr. Singh can suck bofa deez.

TUSooner
6/20/2007, 08:51 PM
As a raving, narrow-minded, short-sighted Beatles fan, I think the guy is actually 93% correct about SPLHCB. I get it that it was all "ground-breaking" and stuff, but there's really not THAT much on it that I really & truly love a lot, at least compared to other Beatle stuff. And I can't really think of it as Rock & Roll. The other 7% = "Kill the blasphemer!" :)

Newbomb Turk
6/20/2007, 08:54 PM
i almost got killed for suggesting that Nevermind was overrated.

Playing golf on a tree-lined course listening to Nevermind. That's Nirvana to me.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 09:03 PM
Playing golf on a tree-lined course listening to Nevermind. That's Nirvana to me.

you'll need to work a little harder on your game with Carnoustie coming up. 'cause that's pretty weak.

i'm already one up with the network gushing about the tree removal and Oakmont.

Newbomb Turk
6/20/2007, 09:13 PM
i'm already one up with the network gushing about the tree removal and Oakmont.

pfft - what do the network types know.

actually, I liked how Oakmont looked.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 09:21 PM
of course you did. because it looked and *was* great.

i'm gonna close you out early this year. might as well concede now. save yourself a year of **** talking and righteous links style golf ****-strutting.

silverwheels
6/20/2007, 09:27 PM
Is This It? I can see how it would be overrated, but not enough to land on this list. Blame the British press for all the hype it got. I personally love the album, mostly because it came out at a time when mainstream rock music really, really sucked, and it still hasn't gotten better.

Neon Bible? That just came out 3 months ago, and it's already on a "Most Overrated" list? Give me a break.

OUAndy1807
6/20/2007, 09:59 PM
Neon Bible? That just came out 3 months ago, and it's already on a "Most Overrated" list? Give me a break.
it's gotten a ****ing lot of hype. we'll see how it stands up.

Scott D
6/20/2007, 10:12 PM

Keep in mind, to the average 12-15 year old....Nevermind is something they've never heard of. So to them, the concept of it sounding like Nickleback isn't too far fetched. It's akin to how until George Lucas released the original films all doctored up in theaters, there were children who never experienced Star Wars in the theater.

That being said, Wayne Coyne is my new hero and that Singh guy sounds damned smart. :)

silverwheels
6/20/2007, 10:16 PM
it's gotten a ****ing lot of hype. we'll see how it stands up.

That's true. Metacritic has it as the #3 album of the year, based on reviews. I like them, but not as much as the critics do, so I guess I can see how they'd end up on this list.

skycat
6/20/2007, 11:21 PM
That list is hilarious.

Anybody taking anything out of that other than musicians make crappy critics is messed up.

SicEmBaylor
6/20/2007, 11:34 PM
They lost me when they overrated Abba.

BigRedJed
6/21/2007, 12:48 AM
Doh. New Order is officially broken up for good? :(

One of the very few bands I always wanted to see live and never did...

King Crimson
6/21/2007, 12:48 AM
Billy Childish had a Beatles wig when he was 4, he knows what he's talking about, thereby.

i think it's also fair to say that Craig Finn doesn't "get" LA Woman, at all. or the Brechtian camp that Morrison did (Alabama Song on the first record, written by Kurt Weill, one of Brecht's comrades).

say what you want about Morrison, but he had read some books and was a lot smarter than Perry Farrell, for instance. he died in a bathtub which kinda sucks.....but he's smarter than Perry Farrell.

King Crimson
6/21/2007, 12:50 AM
Doh. New Order is officially broken up? :(

One of the very few bands I always wanted to see live and never did...

saw them open for Echo and the Bunnymen in about 86 at Red Rocks. they don't have a live show. pretty weak show of pretending to play instruments. Echo was GREAT though. wow. i'd have loved to see them in a small venue inna day. they rocked.

BigRedJed
6/21/2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I saw Echo twice. Once in Dallas, once at Rome, or the Edge, or whatever it was at the time. Great stuff.

BigRedJed
6/21/2007, 12:52 AM
Still, I'm bummed about New Order. One of my all time faves, significant banality notwithstanding.

BigRedJed
6/21/2007, 12:54 AM
True Faith might be my favorite song of all time. Although I was glad to see one of my other favorites, God Only Knows, get props in that article (despite the knock on Pet Sounds).

King Crimson
6/21/2007, 01:00 AM
Age of Consent is my fave New Order tune. off Power, Corruption and Lies.

william_brasky
6/21/2007, 01:21 AM
I agree with Mr. Coyne. Nevermind does nothing for me. In Utero and Bleach were much, much better.

In addition, I think alot of the latest Flaming Lips' albums are overrated. I wish they would kick it old school again and rock out with their caulk out. :D

Frozen Sooner
6/21/2007, 01:26 AM
If all that Singh dude gets out of DSOTM is a rant against greed, then there's no real wonder I've never heard of him. That's the worst analysis of the album I've ever heard. That's not even a good analysis of "Money."

The fact that DSTOM sells more albums in one day thirty years after its release than Mr. Singh has sold in his entire career-with many of those sales being to audiophiles-should help provide a clue as to the greatness of the album.

King Crimson
6/21/2007, 01:29 AM
the DSOTM thing is pretty stupid, really. again, he clearly doesn't "get it". it's cold and distant but sounds great for a reason. the music is a means on DSOTM to express an end. however pompous Waters is/was....he wins with DSOTM.

Frozen Sooner
6/21/2007, 01:31 AM
Exactly. As far as production values go, there's very very few albums that have been released that measure up to DSOTM. As far as surround mixes on SACD, only Brothers in Arms comes close that I've heard so far. Helps that DSOTM was originally mixed in quad, I guess.

Frozen Sooner
6/21/2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah, I saw Echo twice. Once in Dallas, once at Rome, or the Edge, or whatever it was at the time. Great stuff.

If it was the show in 1992, it was Rome then. And I probably saw you there.

King Crimson
6/21/2007, 01:36 AM
In addition, I think alot of the latest Flaming Lips' albums are overrated. I wish they would kick it old school again and rock out with their caulk out. :D

they were better IMO when they played guitars and made dirty acid rock....Wayne' crooning gets old to me. i couldn't be happier about their success and they represent our state in a great way. but, i liked the freaky guitar **** better. just me. Preist was a killer, but the last record i really loved.

King Crimson
6/21/2007, 01:41 AM
If it was the show in 1992, it was Rome then. And I probably saw you there.

i've posted this a 1000 times. the first Echo record Crocodiles is one of the most underrated records ever made.

it's a great record.

def_lazer_fc
6/21/2007, 03:52 AM
That being said, Wayne Coyne is my new hero and that Singh guy sounds damned smart. :)
of course he's smart. he's from Cornershop. all drugged out pop goodness. and the dude from battles saying that strokes album was overrated. yeah, i agree. but i never knew it was lauded as a "great" record to begin with. it just spawned all that other shat like Jet and Kings of Leon or whatever. the new "garage rock". but none of this changes the fact that Battles is a killer band, and i was psyched to see him on here. going to see them in denton pretty soon. :D

King Crimson
6/21/2007, 10:23 AM
Exactly. As far as production values go, there's very very few albums that have been released that measure up to DSOTM. As far as surround mixes on SACD, only Brothers in Arms comes close that I've heard so far. Helps that DSOTM was originally mixed in quad, I guess.

DSOTM doesn't sound like it was recorded by human beings. it sounds like something else infinitely displaced. kinda like the monolith in 2001.

i used to have DSOTM on vinyl inna day. my stoner uncle bought it for me. it came with a poster and PF stickers and such. it was weird **** for a 12 year old. i'd like to actually have that poster right now.

I_SMELL_FEAR
6/21/2007, 10:38 AM
I found it interesting that the guy baggin on the doors said they were not as good as the Velvets, nor as nihilistic and dark, then the last guy baggin on Nico, co-produced by the Velvets, says the Velvets were not as good the Doors, nor were they as nihilistic or dark.

So after reading that, I am under the assumption that artists have other artists they like, and ones they dont...just like everyday joe...hmmm.

sitzpinkler
6/21/2007, 10:57 AM

From what I understand, Alan Parsons created a quad mix, but it wasn't originally released that way. In fact, the SACD wasn't made from the quad mix at all.

Frozen Sooner
6/21/2007, 11:07 AM
My apologies. It was originally mixed in stereo but was recorded with the eventual quad mix in mind:

Although Dark Side of the Moon was monitored in studios equipped for stereo reproduction, many sections were recorded with regard to the eventual quadraphonic reduction, even though this took more track space than would have been necessary for stereo. For example, the clock sounds for Time were built in an imaginary quad picture on to four tracks of the 16 track master.

http://www.stereosociety.com/body_foursides.html

From what I understand, the original masters were used to create the SACD. My point being that DSOTM was originally recorded with surround effects in mind, which is one of the reasons it's such a natural-sounding 5.1 SACD.

Beef
6/21/2007, 11:10 AM
That's true. Metacritic has it as the #3 album of the year, based on reviews. I like them, but not as much as the critics do, so I guess I can see how they'd end up on this list.
I like Neon Bible, but I think part of all the hype is everyone wanted another Funeral, and they are in denial that everyone's artsy darlings didn't live up to the billing.

Viking Kitten
6/21/2007, 11:13 AM
The posts in this thread as well as the article on which it is based remind me of the old adage, "Opinions are like a**holes. Everybody's got one."

OU4LIFE
6/21/2007, 11:23 AM
but how do they smell?

Viking Kitten
6/21/2007, 11:25 AM
'Bout the same really.

OU4LIFE
6/21/2007, 11:33 AM
I was hoping for 'flowers'...

Viking Kitten
6/21/2007, 11:37 AM
That's Howzit's schtick.

soonerinabilene
6/21/2007, 12:37 PM
Eminem is probably the Dylan of rap, whereas Tupac just sounded like he was whining.

I thought this was comedy gold, myself.

Taxman71
6/21/2007, 01:50 PM
Tupac is to rap what Dean Blevins is to sports....they got the credentials, money, airtime, fame, etc....just no talent to speak of.

william_brasky
6/21/2007, 04:28 PM
Tupac is to rap what Dean Blevins is to sports....they got the credentials, money, airtime, fame, etc....just no talent to speak of.

Don't you mean "was" to rap?

Oh Snap.

East Sieeede.

soonerinabilene
6/21/2007, 04:45 PM

Not saying Tupac was great, but calling Eminem the Dylan of rap is what I found funny. Writing a song about asking yourself if you can stand up isnt exactly what I call poetry. And yeah, he hates his mom. I got that the first time he wrote a song about it. Didnt need 20 more to make me believe he actually felt that way.