PDA

View Full Version : texass is WAYYYYY overhyped, sportswriters are more biased than ever

BASSooner
6/20/2007, 03:53 PM
Who's with me?

Apparently all sportswriters need to research is Colt McCoy and they are automatically #2 according to Athlon Sports.

The typical sportswriters these days don't do ANY research whatsoever.

John David Booty is automatically a 1st team all-american...oh really now why is that? Is he really that good to Carson Palmer and Matt Leinhart? HELL no. I guess if I go to NYC and put on a trojan jersey I have automatic admission to the heisman ceremony. JDB is good, don't get me wrong, but he isn't as super-star like his other QB buddies. Brian Brohm should be taking his spot as the first team all american. USC's LBs should be the spotlight in LA, not JDB.

Sportswriters, you all shouldn't be doing jack**** until you actually do some more in depth research on teams!!!!!!!

Let's talk about texas now. I hate em as we all do but I am going to try to be as unbiased as I possibly can about them. I do study my sooners but I also study texas very well(in order to beat your enemy, you must know them). Like every year they are a top 10 team and that is correct. HOWEVER, They should NOT be sitting up ANYWHERE in the top 3 spots and I will tell you why. Colt McCoy had an amazing season and threw for the highest percentage out of any other quarterback in the big 12. He threw for 29 TDs and ran for some, great executable QB although I give a lot of the credit to the offensive line that helped cushion his timing when throwing to receivers and/or scrambling. He had about 5-10 seconds to pass the ball EVERY single play. That juggernaut OL is now more powerless than it has been for a while. The only guys returning with experience and great talent are Ulatoski and Tony Hills Jr(both OTs)

Texas had one of the worst pass defenses in the country even with a jim thorpe award winner and an additional 1st round pick in the NFL draft. This next season they lose their entire secondary except for one man, marcus griffin and unless he's the second coming of OUr roy williams, I doubt their pass defense gets any better. Larry Macduff won't be called a savior just yet. To texass fans, MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND ABOUT AKINA! You guys flip-flop WAYYY too much about the guy. Do you like him now that he's taking over or do you want him out of austin?

Oh and a 3rd thing about texass, let's recap on what nearly happend to these guys last season as far as winning games:

-they got beat by ohio state...who could blame them?
-needed a miracle to beat texas tech
-got AMAZINGLY lucky to win against nebraska thanks to husker stupidity
-got beat by a horrible KSU team that scored 45 points on them
-got owned on their own turf against the aggies
-nearly blew it in their bowl game against a mediocre iowa team.

This texass team had an OL and a secondary and DEs that are now all gone and you are gonna tell me that THIS team is going to be #2 in the NATION????? Please...I'll be surprised if this team even makes the trip to aggieville. They couldn't even establish a run game this season and why should they this season? Jamal Charles has proven to be a complete bust and we are going to hear all kinds of hype about vondrell mcgee and foss whitaker and how both RBs will be "future heisman candidates".

One thing that Greg Davis and Mack Daddy did that was INCREDIBLY stupid and probably could possibly cost them the big 12 championship. If you are being interviewed by the media, do you honestly reveal anything that shouldn't be revealed to the media? "We might run a similar offense to Florida's Leak/Tebow". Note to coaches: start watchin florida games, and you have that system beat down on the spot! Mack and Greg, you guys are MORONS!!!!!!!!! We would like to know what you guys are doing on defense as well:rolleyes: . I mean we had an idea that they were going to use chiles and harris in someway last season but i thought chiles would go to WR and harris would play just a backup role...thanks for the info mack!

OUt of all the teams that texas plays, they have 5 opponents that should be labeled as question marks because they won't be easy wins(TCU...yes they could do it, they have a stellar DL and LB squad,aTm, us, nebbish, and okie state)

Is this team #2? you make the choice.

soonerhubs
6/20/2007, 05:13 PM
Let them hype the team. I'll enjoy the shock they receive in October. Oh, and nice post btw.

InTexasandImStuck
6/20/2007, 05:25 PM
It;s not hype if you back it up and it's not kinky if you do it more than once.

BASSooner
6/20/2007, 05:52 PM
so are you saying that they are all hype or not hype coming into the season?

soonerhubs
6/20/2007, 05:55 PM
It;s not hype if you back it up and it's not kinky if you do it more than once, every 35 years.
:D

soonerhubs
6/20/2007, 05:57 PM
so are you saying that they are all hype or not hype coming into the season?
The whorns are all hype.

BASSooner
6/20/2007, 06:01 PM
It;s not hype if you back it up and it's not kinky if you do it more than once.
I'm sorry I don't quite understand your post. If you are saying that they are NOT hype, then I would like evidence and facts to back that up.

If you say that they are just plain hype, thank you for agreeing with me.

Oh and one thing I can NOT understand, even from some of OUr own soonerfans is that they seem to not even woner without a doubt that we lose to texas. It drives me insane! I almost yell at the computer when I see writers put this chickensh*t down! I think we can beat them! Wanna know how? See what they lost and see what we gained. and there you have it. I'll be here for the rest of the week AND weekend.

On a side note: I can show you PROOF how we could beat texas not easily but steadly. I could go step by step evaluating each team's positions and how well they compare to their counterparts.

InTexasandImStuck
6/20/2007, 07:11 PM
I'm sorry I don't quite understand your post. If you are saying that they are NOT hype, then I would like evidence and facts to back that up.

If you say that they are just plain hype, thank you for agreeing with me.

I am saying until the season starts and a team flounders it isn't hype... Last yeart Kirk Kickmetothecurbstreit picked Miami and ND to play for the NC. Big time overhype looking back but then again if someone had said last spring that Wake Forest and GT would play in the ACC Championship game they would have been checked into the Houston Nutt house.

What I am saying is it isn't overhype until they fail. And if Syracuse and Baylor end up in the NC game well then all the experts are idiots.

goingoneight
6/20/2007, 07:34 PM
I want 'em undefeated an ranked No. 2 in the nation coming into Dallas. Although I'd giggle like an aggie alone in a barn if they lost to TCU or K-State again.

OSUAggie
6/21/2007, 09:49 AM
Here's some Dallas Morning News hype for UT (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/062107dnspobrown.242c270.html)

SOUTH

1. Oklahoma
Record: 10-2, 6-2

League losses: at Colorado, Texas

Bottom line: The Sooners are starting a first-year quarterback, which could make them vulnerable to a couple of early conference losses. But the defending Big 12 champs should be hard to beat by season's end with talent everywhere else. OU wins the South on tiebreakers.

2. Oklahoma State

League losses: at Nebraska, at OU

Bottom line: This program has serious momentum after pounding Nebraska last season and beating Alabama in the Independence Bowl. Road games at Georgia, Troy, Texas A&M, Nebraska and OU will be daunting, but the Cowboys have lots of fearless, young talent.

3. Texas

League losses: at Okla. St., at Texas A&M

Bottom line: The passing game and run defense should be among the best in the country, and TCU is the toughest nonconference opponent. But the Longhorns must answer serious questions from last year about their pass defense and inability to run the ball.

4. Texas A&M
Record: 7-5, 4-4

League losses: Okla. St., at Nebraska, at OU, at Mizzou

Bottom line: Quarterback Stephen McGee is a stud on an offense that mauls people. But key losses on defense and a road schedule that includes Miami (Fla.), Texas Tech, Nebraska, OU and Missouri will trip up the Aggies.

5. Texas Tech
Record: 7-5;3-5

League losses: at Okla. St., Texas A&M, at Mizzou, at Texas, OU

Bottom line: Tech has only four starters back on offense and only five back on defense. If Mike Leach hasn't been recruiting well, it will show. A typically soft nonleague schedule should ensure Tech remains the only Big 12 team without a losing season since the conference was formed.

6. Baylor
Record: 3-9, 0-8

League losses: All of them

Bottom line: After manhandling bowl-bound Kansas State last year and beating Colorado on the road, the Bears have lost too much manpower to succeed in 2007. Baylor is starting over at quarterback, receiver and in the secondary. Coach Guy Morriss will need more time.

BASSooner
6/21/2007, 09:56 AM
3. Texas

League losses: at Okla. St., at Texas A&M, *Oklahoma

Bottom line: The passing game if the offensive line questions can be answered and run defense should be among the best in the country, and TCU is the toughest nonconference opponent. But the Longhorns must answer serious questions from last year about their pass defense and inability to run the ball.
*possible loss, mostly a tossup

fixed.

haha we lose to colorado? wow we are hated. I like hawkins and he will jump his program up to pretty good status soon but he isn't there yet...

Ash
6/21/2007, 10:24 AM
I am saying until the season starts and a team flounders it isn't hype... Last yeart Kirk Kickmetothecurbstreit picked Miami and ND to play for the NC. Big time overhype looking back but then again if someone had said last spring that Wake Forest and GT would play in the ACC Championship game they would have been checked into the Houston Nutt house.

What I am saying is it isn't overhype until they fail. And if Syracuse and Baylor end up in the NC game well then all the experts are idiots.

It's hype if there's little or nothing to base it on. What about the team indicates that they'll be better than everyone except one team next year?

Ash
6/21/2007, 10:25 AM
fixed.

haha we lose to colorado? wow we are hated. I like hawkins and he will jump his program up to pretty good status soon but he isn't there yet...

That is laughable. My guess is they're banking on the fact the Buff D was decent last year. Of course, it doesn't matter if their offense can't gain a yard.

goingoneight
6/22/2007, 01:19 AM
Well, all things considered... CU can't be much worse. Their Offensive MVP was their kicker last year. Cody Hawkins could play blind-folded and probably play better than Jackson did.

Still calling OU big in this one. And the road win can help tremendously going into Dallas.

OSU 10-2??? How many times has OSU won ten games? And no, aggy... adding Gundy's season tallies doesn't count. Serious momentum??? On offense, yeah... but to predict 10-2 is to assume they bought Florida's defense. They have won ONE BIG 12 road game under Gumby... against KANSAS. Improved team? Yes, I believe 7 or 8 wins, but 2nd in the South? Tell Boone thanks for the advance.

Methinks it goes like diss:

1. Hook 'em (barely eeks victory in College Station to save the South representation in San Antonio).
2. OU (turnovers and sloppy defense does us in in a "shocking loss," don't want to see it... but I'm being realistic... a n00b wil turn it over at the worst times, and high-scoring RRS loss)
3. Tx Tech (just when you thought the pirates were gone)
4. OSU (3rd place Tie-breaker goes to Tech in Stillwater, losses to TT, UT, NU, OU)
5. FRANchise (stupid decision in LSS costs Fran his 6th loss and turns the gas up on his hot seat)
6. Baylor (Morris resigns :D)

OSUAggie
6/22/2007, 10:57 PM
Well, all things considered... CU can't be much worse. Their Offensive MVP was their kicker last year. Cody Hawkins could play blind-folded and probably play better than Jackson did.

Still calling OU big in this one. And the road win can help tremendously going into Dallas.

OSU 10-2??? How many times has OSU won ten games? And no, aggy... adding Gundy's season tallies doesn't count. Serious momentum??? On offense, yeah... but to predict 10-2 is to assume they bought Florida's defense. They have won ONE BIG 12 road game under Gumby... against KANSAS. Improved team? Yes, I believe 7 or 8 wins, but 2nd in the South? Tell Boone thanks for the advance.

Methinks it goes like diss:

1. Hook 'em (barely eeks victory in College Station to save the South representation in San Antonio).
2. OU (turnovers and sloppy defense does us in in a "shocking loss," don't want to see it... but I'm being realistic... a n00b wil turn it over at the worst times, and high-scoring RRS loss)
3. Tx Tech (just when you thought the pirates were gone)
4. OSU (3rd place Tie-breaker goes to Tech in Stillwater, losses to TT, UT, NU, OU)
5. FRANchise (stupid decision in LSS costs Fran his 6th loss and turns the gas up on his hot seat)
6. Baylor (Morris resigns :D)

OSU has won 10 games 3 times in the last 25 years.

You completely contradict yourself by saying that OSU will beat A&M in College Station but lose to Tech in Stillwater not more than two seconds after you make the point that OSU has won 1 conference road game in Gundy's extensive tenure.

insuranceman_22
6/24/2007, 02:01 AM
Hey be fair about things! OSU has definately won 10 games before. If you combine the last 2 years they've won 10. If you combine the last 4 years they've even won 10 games against D1 teams!

yermom
6/24/2007, 02:29 AM
someone has to be on crack to pick OSU to be 2nd in the South

i don't care how young Texass is, i have a hard time believing the Pukes can have a better record than the Pirates, Wh0rns and the Aggies

plus winning AT Georgia? yeah, right

Statalyzer
6/27/2007, 05:58 AM
No way in hell does OU lose to Colorado. The Buffs might be able to keep the margin of loss down to around 10 points or so. I'd expect more like 28-7.

As far as the original analysis of Texas, it's fair enough, but hardly "unbiased as possibly can be."

It wasn't a miracle. We outplayed Tech and won a close game.

got AMAZINGLY lucky to win against nebraska thanks to husker stupidity

Forcing a fumble is not luck, and it was hardly stupid of NU to try and make the first down.

A close game does not = a lucky win. Would you be using that same standard on OU? Was the Okie State win a lucky win b/c Zac Robinson missed the pitch for an easy walk-in touchdown and then fumbled inside the 1 yard line?

they got beat by ohio state...who could blame them?

Now, that is all exactly correct. Can't blame us for the OSU game in hindsight, but no excuses on the other games. Those were just both plain embarassing. Sure, Colt being injured hurt us, but the offense still scored 42 on KSU without him, and Colt's arm isn't going to help our defense stop A&M from going on 8-minute long scoring drives in the fourth quarter or make our OL learn to run-block any better.

Iowa felt like a good win because it was our 3rd straight bowl win, it was an exciting game, and we came from behind to do it, but objectively looking back, it was exciting b/c the teams were evenly matched. That doesn't mean evenly good. We were evenly average teams, we played down to the level of a team that didn't even deserve to go to a bowl.

goingoneight
6/27/2007, 10:17 PM

You completely contradict yourself by saying that OSU will beat A&M in College Station but lose to Tech in Stillwater not more than two seconds after you make the point that OSU has won 1 conference road game in Gundy's extensive tenure.

To predict 10 wins is to predict the following.

at Georgia = ???
Popcorn State = W
at Other Trojans = W
Bomar Tech = W (they could have Barrry Sanders and will still lose, sorry Rhett)

... you with me? that's three guaranteed and one iffy...

TX Tech = ??? (No one ever knows how they'll do in shootouts with Leach... you can assume, but we all know what happens when we assume things)
aTm = W (I honestly don't see you all OR Texass losing here. This is the season that does Fran in, IMHO. If Calahan can do it, y'all can)
at Nebraska = ??? (I'll give you the edge... but I won't put money on it. Nebraska's tough when they want revenge at home)
K-State = W (fart)
Hook 'em = L (just my opinion, I don't see it happening... especially looking at how McCoy handled the game at Tech last year)
Kansas = W (Manginowned!!!)
at Baylor = W (Floyd Casey is no one's nightmare... 2005 was a fluke for you all there)
at Oklahoma = L (Stoops remembers a lot of things... especially what happens when you underestimate a team with nothign to lose playing their "rival." To add, you all shot yourselves in the foot by moving this to the final game of the year when you consider Stoops's teams improvements year in and out. It won't be 42-14, but we'll win solidly.)

I see 8 gimmes. If you want to coutn an under-matched bowl game contest, then yeah... 10-3 is possible if you eek one of those iffy matchups.

It's not contradicting yourself to assume Franchione is a choke-job. And it's not out of reason to say that Tech wins a lot of those last-minute games. That's been Mike Leach's specialty throughout his entire TT career.

I will predict OSU is ranked by season's end... there's your improvement.

goingoneight
6/27/2007, 10:32 PM
No way in hell does OU lose to Colorado. The Buffs might be able to keep the margin of loss down to around 10 points or so. I'd expect more like 28-7.

Agreed. We ran a totally boring offense and OUr defense tried to let them score several times last year but they just couldn't manage a completion.

As far as the original analysis of Texas, it's fair enough, but hardly "unbiased as possibly can be."

I think a lot of people are talking out their asses about you all. I still see 11 likely wins for you all no matter how much "rebuilding" you have to do.

It wasn't a miracle. We outplayed Tech and won a close game.

You all shut them out in the 2nd half. No one can call that a miracle. In fact, they need to watch Colt McCoy's performance against them if they want to even think of calling him overrated or not good in tough situations.

Forcing a fumble is not luck, and it was hardly stupid of NU to try and make the first down.

It wasn't exactly a jarring hit, the TE just freaking dropped the ball. It was like he thought "Alright, I got it!" and just put it on the grass. That, WAS a miracle for Texass. Whether you want to admit it or not, not just anyone gets lucky enough to pick up a fumble in FG territory in the fianl moments of the 4th quarter to take the lead.

A close game does not = a lucky win. Would you be using that same standard on OU? Was the Okie State win a lucky win b/c Zac Robinson missed the pitch for an easy walk-in touchdown and then fumbled inside the 1 yard line?

Agreed, for the most part.

The Okie State game was a great game, but we owned their defense well enough that day that if we absolutely needed points, we'd have gotten them. It was like the Fiesta Bowl, except Stoops did the out-coaching the opponent here. These things happen. Keep in mind that about 16 plays in that game were just securing the ball and running out the clock. The final OU possession was basically utitlized to take away OSU's timeouts, which IMHO was brilliant on Stoops's part.

BASSooner
6/27/2007, 10:54 PM
I do admitt, I was a bit harsh on the tech game, you guys did execute well. I had forgotten that you did shut out tech in the 2nd half.

Nebraska, though, I'm still stickin with my thoughts about it being pure luck.

As for the RRS, I hate to say this but, you guys deserve full credit whether that penalty was there or didn't happen. You guys had us contained throughout the 2nd half.

BASSooner
6/27/2007, 11:05 PM
I think a lot of people are talking out their asses about you all. I still see 11 likely wins for you all no matter how much "rebuilding" you have to do.

I have to strongly disagree with this. 11 wins is possible but highly unlikely. You need to like into UT's inexperience at OL and the secondary. The OL also has some serious depth issues due to some men transferring.

Some of the other teams are better in the big 12 than you think, and I'm also talking about okie state. Let's all laugh at those guys because it is fun but this will be their best offense they've had in a while and it's diverse. They have those receivers that are All-Big12 candidates. If texas can't find a way to cover them, then we're gonna see a VERY close game.

Texass is going TO aggieville. I see this being a loss but not because texas is in aggieville though. If franny continues those 8 minute drives, he wins the game. Why? His OL is back and he will use JLane to make the defense run out of gas and have Michael Goodsen come out and have a field day. McGee will also scramble as well.

As I also mentioned, TCU has a chance. They have an all-american DE and a stellar LB core that is arguably one of the best in the country.

Nebraska will be a tuff one IF they do horribly against the pass. Otherwise, they get a break since the game is in austin

Us, well it's a toss up, but I see us winning, barely.

TexasLidig8r
6/28/2007, 04:13 PM
Bass.. your initial analysis started good.. I was starting to think.. maybe it WILL be an unbiased review and then... the wheels went flying off mighty quickly.

Let's look objectively... first, the Texas offensive line will not be as ragged as you think. Dockery, who was a starter through the OU game will be back (he tore his ACL in the RRS). Mack has always had a reputation for rotating in offensive linemen so it's not as if the others have not played (Tanner and Griffin).. In fact, they have a great deal of experience. Having said that, offensive line is the one position which depends on the entire unit operating as one. That quality is missing. And that quality will definitely hurt.

As for Colt having 5 - 10 seconds to throw the ball last year. :rolleyes:

Running backs.. Jamal Charles a bust? :rolleyes: He split time with Selvin Young last year and yes, his numbers decreased from his very good freshman year. Now, why are his numbers likely to increase this year? 1. He is the undisputed first team RB. 2. He put on 10 - 15 pounds of muscle without losing speed (See his performance in track this spring) and 3. The offense is evolving out of the zone read into more of a pro style offense to better utilize McCoy's passing ability and Charles' speed. You will see more straight ahead blocking and less east-west running.

On defense, last year's defensive secondary statistics and play was inconsistent because of the "stop the run first" attitude and refusal to play outside of the standard 4 - 3 set Chizik played. It started with the Ohio St. game. It wasn't Ginn that killed us, it was Gonzales. Ohio St. put him in the slot, then split or offset their tight end. Instead of putting in a 5th DB and go with 2 linebackers, Chizik stayed in the basic set. This created a mismatch with Gonazles up against a strong safety. This defense was also seen in the Tech game where for reasons known only to God and broccoli, we played 3 flipping LBs! as for aggy, even in our MNC year, Chizik couldn't figure out how to defense the option.

Akina and McDuff are purportedly going to play a more aggressive defense this year adapting to what our opponents strengths are.

Having said that.. is No. 2 too high for Texas right now?? Yes.... I believe it is. Too many questions on the OL and DBs. 2008 is the year when Texas should be very very salty.

I do believe we should be thrown in with that group of teams, including LSU, Michigan, Florida and yes.. OU who will be competing for a top 5 position with USC.

OSUAggie
6/28/2007, 04:31 PM
The Okie State game was a great game, but we owned their defense well enough that day that if we absolutely needed points, we'd have gotten them. It was like the Fiesta Bowl, except Stoops did the out-coaching the opponent here. These things happen. Keep in mind that about 16 plays in that game were just securing the ball and running out the clock. The final OU possession was basically utitlized to take away OSU's timeouts, which IMHO was brilliant on Stoops's part.

You had 1 yard (on 3 possessions) in the fourth quarter running the same **** you ran the entire game. Calling Stoops' move to run the ball on OU's final possession brilliant is like congratulating a dog for taking a ****. Pee wee coaches can make that call.

Your defense stepped up when it needed to. That's what won the game.

Ash
6/28/2007, 04:32 PM
Bass.. your initial analysis started good.. I was starting to think.. maybe it WILL be an unbiased review and then... the wheels went flying off mighty quickly.

Let's look objectively... first, the Texas offensive line will not be as ragged as you think. Dockery, who was a starter through the OU game will be back (he tore his ACL in the RRS). Mack has always had a reputation for rotating in offensive linemen so it's not as if the others have not played (Tanner and Griffin).. In fact, they have a great deal of experience. Having said that, offensive line is the one position which depends on the entire unit operating as one. That quality is missing. And that quality will definitely hurt.

As for Colt having 5 - 10 seconds to throw the ball last year. :rolleyes:

Running backs.. Jamal Charles a bust? :rolleyes: He split time with Selvin Young last year and yes, his numbers decreased from his very good freshman year. Now, why are his numbers likely to increase this year? 1. He is the undisputed first team RB. 2. He put on 10 - 15 pounds of muscle without losing speed (See his performance in track this spring) and 3. The offense is evolving out of the zone read into more of a pro style offense to better utilize McCoy's passing ability and Charles' speed. You will see more straight ahead blocking and less east-west running.

On defense, last year's defensive secondary statistics and play was inconsistent because of the "stop the run first" attitude and refusal to play outside of the standard 4 - 3 set Chizik played. It started with the Ohio St. game. It wasn't Ginn that killed us, it was Gonzales. Ohio St. put him in the slot, then split or offset their tight end. Instead of putting in a 5th DB and go with 2 linebackers, Chizik stayed in the basic set. This created a mismatch with Gonazles up against a strong safety. This defense was also seen in the Tech game where for reasons known only to God and broccoli, we played 3 flipping LBs! as for aggy, even in our MNC year, Chizik couldn't figure out how to defense the option.

Akina and McDuff are purportedly going to play a more aggressive defense this year adapting to what our opponents strengths are.

Having said that.. is No. 2 too high for Texas right now?? Yes.... I believe it is. Too many questions on the OL and DBs. 2008 is the year when Texas should be very very salty.

I do believe we should be thrown in with that group of teams, including LSU, Michigan, Florida and yes.. OU who will be competing for a top 5 position with USC.

**** BEING OBJECTIVE! THIS IS THE SMACK FORUM HOMO!

HTown77095
6/28/2007, 07:37 PM
I agree with the original poster. But the one thing that worries me about Texas is the fact Mack Brown lets the QB "do what he wants to do". I remember vividly Vince Youngs dramatic improvement and how Mack had said "we just let him do what he wanted to do". Lets hope Mack Brown and Greg Davis get more involved in their program. Otherwise, we could be in trouble:eek:

BASSooner
6/28/2007, 08:30 PM

I agree with this to an extent. Some of those guys do have experience and it will be interesting to see how well they perform, however, once agian, tony hills jr is the only man on the line along with ulatoski(i think?) with FULL-time experience. It will be decent, but it will be the weakness of the offense.

As for Colt having 5 - 10 seconds to throw the ball last year. :rolleyes: I guess you don't pay attention:rolleyes:

I like how you fail to mention his injury history. He will of course be the starter but he will be splitting a lot of play time with fozz and mcgee just because those 2 are play-makers and there is a chance, yet again, that an injury may occur.

We're talking about this upcoming season, not last. I will agree with you though that chizik was not thinking straight and that he was not on the same page as akina. However, even with the addition of macduff, good luck rebuilding the secondary. You guys have talent, but no experience except for marcus griffin and he can't cover the field by himself.

goingoneight
6/30/2007, 11:06 PM
You had 1 yard (on 3 possessions) in the fourth quarter running the same **** you ran the entire game. Calling Stoops' move to run the ball on OU's final possession brilliant is like congratulating a dog for taking a ****. Pee wee coaches can make that call.

Yes, we had a good defensive game. That wide-open receiver on a freaking obvious half-back pass was SUCH a great play. The D did OK at best, OSU basically choked. Don't believe me? The infamous fumble that would have supposedly "won" the game for you? "Coach Gundy, hey we have last ball playing against the league's best defense... let's burn all of our timeouts and run the ball!!!"

OSUAggie
7/3/2007, 01:43 PM
That post made my head hurt.

Jello Biafra
7/3/2007, 05:00 PM

why is that contradictory, nutthugger? because stillwater is the hardest place in the universe to win a football game for a visitor? we have a fuggin emoticon on this board for a joyous occasion that happened at your house a few years back for christ sake........:stunned:

Jello Biafra
7/3/2007, 05:05 PM

we can't win in any situation with you tree humpers.....

we take the field and stick the ball in every orifice dressed in orange, you guys squeel that we are poor sports... we choose to try and run the ball to keep you guys from being "orange faced" at your house, you guys claim that you were "this far" from beating us......

cheers.....here's to getting your skid mark stained thongs handed to you in norman AGAIN this year.

Jello Biafra
7/3/2007, 05:06 PM
That post made my head hurt.

the diploma on your wall should make your head hurt.

goingoneight
7/4/2007, 01:49 PM
the diploma on your wall should make your head hurt.

Because "all OSU fans go to college at OSU." :D

Jello Biafra
7/4/2007, 04:09 PM
Because "all OSU fans go to college at OSU." :D

zactly, so they claim....... AND he has a friggin degree in sprinkler engineering from there or some such sheite....

OSUAggie
7/5/2007, 09:02 AM
zactly, so they claim....... AND he has a friggin degree in sprinkler engineering from there or some such sheite....

You're getting your aggies confused again....

Jello Biafra
7/5/2007, 04:48 PM
You're getting your aggies confused again....

pffft. you all smell/look alike...honest mistake.

goingoneight
7/5/2007, 09:47 PM
Is there a difference? Don't they have the same amount of CFB National Championships when you put both teams together?

Jello Biafra
7/6/2007, 03:58 PM
Is there a difference? Don't they have the same amount of CFB National Championships when you put both teams together?

nope aundm actually HAS a national championship in football.

goingoneight
7/6/2007, 11:40 PM
1+0=1
It could be viewed that way, I guess...

okstateguy987
7/8/2007, 10:13 PM
We have an MNC from 1945, arguably....so yes, I suppose we do both have one....Anyway, next year is going to be very exciting, and I can't wait to go down to norman and watch us beat the gooners in their house! The good thing about this program now is, you can't attach any of the past expectations on it. Since the administration is actually showing support for the football program now, things are only going up. Just a little more time before we completely step out of the shadow of the old Cowboy Football era.

goingoneight
7/8/2007, 10:23 PM
Sure thing, aggie... sure thing. :rolleyes:

yermom
7/8/2007, 10:48 PM
We have an MNC from 1945, arguably....so yes, I suppose we do both have one....Anyway, next year is going to be very exciting, and I can't wait to go down to norman and watch us beat the gooners in their house! The good thing about this program now is, you can't attach any of the past expectations on it. Since the administration is actually showing support for the football program now, things are only going up. Just a little more time before we completely step out of the shadow of the old Cowboy Football era.

good luck with all that

who named them National Champs that year? the Stoolwater Gazette? they appeared to be 5th in AP... http://www.soonerstats.com/football/polls/ap/seasons.cfm?SeasonID=1945

okstateguy987
7/9/2007, 12:09 AM
good luck with all that

who named them National Champs that year? the Stoolwater Gazette? they appeared to be 5th in AP... http://www.soonerstats.com/football/polls/ap/seasons.cfm?SeasonID=1945

hahaha! I like that you got that from "soonerstats.com", that's very humorous....

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~dwilson/waits/1945/byrate1.html

like i said, it's "arguably" a national championship.....anyways, Sept. 1 can't get here fast enough....

Ash
7/9/2007, 12:17 AM
hahaha! I like that you got that from "soonerstats.com", that's very humorous....

like i said, it's "arguably" a national championship.....anyways, Sept. 1 can't get here fast enough....

hahaha! arguably doesn't count. Army was #1 in 45. Only in aggieland does 5th place make you "arguably" a national champion.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/national_championships/poll_results.php?year=1945

yermom
7/9/2007, 12:25 AM

Ray Wait's Division I-A College Football Retrodictive Ratings 01/01/1946

:rolleyes:

okstateguy987
7/9/2007, 12:29 AM
hahaha! arguably doesn't count. Army was #1 in 45. Only in aggieland does 5th place make you "arguably" a national champion.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/national_championships/poll_results.php?year=1945

if Alabama can claim it, then we can claim it.....anyways, I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it, so settle down, I was just trying to say that TAMU has just as much of a MNC as we do. you'd think that your fans wouldn't really care that much, considering you have 6 more than us, but this whole argument just proves how deep the rivalry goes, when each side tries to take as much as they can away from the other

Ash
7/9/2007, 12:34 AM
if Alabama can claim it, then we can claim it.....anyways, I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it, so settle down, I was just trying to say that TAMU has just as much of a MNC as we do. you'd think that your fans wouldn't really care that much, considering you have 6 more than us, but this whole argument just proves how deep the rivalry goes, when each side tries to take as much as they can away from the other

6 more? Using your bogus system of claiming every tom-dick-and-harry championship, OU has 23.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/oklahoma/all_national_champs.php

yermom
7/9/2007, 12:43 AM
you know it's bad when they are using Bama as a reference

you sure it's only one?

Ash
7/9/2007, 12:45 AM
you know it's bad when they are using Bama as a reference

you sure it's only one?

ROFL! No kidding, couldn't you come up with more than one using the 'Bama system? Hell, didn't they already win one for 2007 because they got a new coach?

OSUAggie
7/9/2007, 11:42 AM
I claim '45, '46, '76, '84, '87, '88, '91, '97, '02, '03, '04, and '06..

Got 12, bitches?

;)

TexasLidig8r
7/9/2007, 11:52 AM
nope aundm actually HAS a national championship in football.

Championships won before the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor should not count.

OSUAggie
7/9/2007, 12:00 PM
Yah, who was Knute Rockne anyway?

okstateguy987
7/9/2007, 01:22 PM
LOL, sooo easy to get you all off track....

BTW, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, smartypants

Ash
7/9/2007, 01:31 PM

off track from what? all you orange wearing ****heads smell the same to me, anyway.

TexasLidig8r
7/9/2007, 03:28 PM

watch Animal House much homeslice? :rolleyes:

yermom
7/9/2007, 03:44 PM
he's on a roll

Jello Biafra
7/9/2007, 03:52 PM
:rolleyes:

phuckin dork.

Jello Biafra
7/9/2007, 04:01 PM

when chiloca; norman high school; and The Tulsa Business no longer have scoreboard on you dumb assses, come back and see us......
\

btw, what happened to that powerhouse team of 1945 the following year? right back in the ****tter....it's a never ending cycle in that cess pool you guys call boogerpickens stadium. 1 step forward, 3 steps back.

OSUAggie
7/9/2007, 04:14 PM
1 step forward was in 1944.. the next step forward was 1945... it's been about 61 steps back from that point.

Jello Biafra
7/9/2007, 10:02 PM
1 step forward was in 1944.. the next step forward was 1945... it's been about 61 steps back from that point.

very good. the first step is to admit the problem.......

BOOMERSOONERFAN25
7/13/2007, 01:31 AM
we can and should beat texas this season were picked to win against them this october since they lost a lot of good players im sure we will since i live in texas its alwayz fun win we win but ya they shouldnt be numbedr 2 after the severe *** kicking they got by k state and aggies they should probably be around 8 or 9th by the way where are we in the rankings?

OSUAggie
7/13/2007, 10:34 AM
That was a pretty crazy sentence.

BASSooner
7/13/2007, 01:29 PM
we can and should beat texas this season were picked to win against them this october since they lost a lot of good players im sure we will since i live in texas its alwayz fun win we win but ya they shouldnt be numbedr 2 after the severe *** kicking they got by k state and aggies they should probably be around 8 or 9th by the way where are we in the rankings?
according to athlons, 7th

josh09
7/16/2007, 05:57 PM
Who's with me?

Apparently all sportswriters need to research is Colt McCoy and they are automatically #2 according to Athlon Sports.

The typical sportswriters these days don't do ANY research whatsoever.

John David Booty is automatically a 1st team all-american...oh really now why is that? Is he really that good to Carson Palmer and Matt Leinhart? HELL no. I guess if I go to NYC and put on a trojan jersey I have automatic admission to the heisman ceremony. JDB is good, don't get me wrong, but he isn't as super-star like his other QB buddies. Brian Brohm should be taking his spot as the first team all american. USC's LBs should be the spotlight in LA, not JDB.

Sportswriters, you all shouldn't be doing jack**** until you actually do some more in depth research on teams!!!!!!!

Let's talk about texas now. I hate em as we all do but I am going to try to be as unbiased as I possibly can about them. I do study my sooners but I also study texas very well(in order to beat your enemy, you must know them). Like every year they are a top 10 team and that is correct. HOWEVER, They should NOT be sitting up ANYWHERE in the top 3 spots and I will tell you why. Colt McCoy had an amazing season and threw for the highest percentage out of any other quarterback in the big 12. He threw for 29 TDs and ran for some, great executable QB although I give a lot of the credit to the offensive line that helped cushion his timing when throwing to receivers and/or scrambling. He had about 5-10 seconds to pass the ball EVERY single play. That juggernaut OL is now more powerless than it has been for a while. The only guys returning with experience and great talent are Ulatoski and Tony Hills Jr(both OTs)

Texas had one of the worst pass defenses in the country even with a jim thorpe award winner and an additional 1st round pick in the NFL draft. This next season they lose their entire secondary except for one man, marcus griffin and unless he's the second coming of OUr roy williams, I doubt their pass defense gets any better. Larry Macduff won't be called a savior just yet. To texass fans, MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND ABOUT AKINA! You guys flip-flop WAYYY too much about the guy. Do you like him now that he's taking over or do you want him out of austin?

Oh and a 3rd thing about texass, let's recap on what nearly happend to these guys last season as far as winning games:

-they got beat by ohio state...who could blame them?
-got AMAZINGLY lucky to win against nebraska thanks to husker stupidity

This texass team had an OL and a secondary and DEs that are now all gone and you are gonna tell me that THIS team is going to be #2 in the NATION????? Please...I'll be surprised if this team even makes the trip to aggieville. They couldn't even establish a run game this season and why should they this season? Jamal Charles has proven to be a complete bust and we are going to hear all kinds of hype about vondrell mcgee and foss whitaker and how both RBs will be "future heisman candidates".

One thing that Greg Davis and Mack Daddy did that was INCREDIBLY stupid and probably could possibly cost them the big 12 championship. If you are being interviewed by the media, do you honestly reveal anything that shouldn't be revealed to the media? "We might run a similar offense to Florida's Leak/Tebow". Note to coaches: start watchin florida games, and you have that system beat down on the spot! Mack and Greg, you guys are MORONS!!!!!!!!! We would like to know what you guys are doing on defense as well:rolleyes: . I mean we had an idea that they were going to use chiles and harris in someway last season but i thought chiles would go to WR and harris would play just a backup role...thanks for the info mack!

OUt of all the teams that texas plays, they have 5 opponents that should be labeled as question marks because they won't be easy wins(TCU...yes they could do it, they have a stellar DL and LB squad,aTm, us, nebbish, and okie state)

Is this team #2? you make the choice.

Word. Ill let them be #2 though, that way when they get owned (if its by us, or by someone before us), it will be EXTRA embarrassing :D

Statalyzer
7/19/2007, 12:51 PM
One final word about the Nebraska fumble. Plenty of fumbles are forced by hits that are not jarring ESPN-highlight hits, doesn't mean they are luck. Aaron Ross specifically said afterward something like "Coaches tell us, if a guy jumps into you, get your helmet on the ball, it's your best chance to cause a fumble, so that's what I did."

You could say Nebraska got lucky that Greg Johnson pulled a hamstring and shanked an short kick with the wind at his back, or else we'd have already been ahead at that point.

if Alabama can claim it,

If you're only standard is "If Alabama can claim it", then Oklahoma State has about 50 National Championships and so does everyone else.

Anyway, next year is going to be very exciting, and I can't wait to go down to norman and watch us beat the gooners in their house!

While I always root for OSU to beat OU, I don't see it happening this year.

goingoneight
7/26/2007, 02:44 AM
Let's see, this thread was about Texass being ranked high and evolved to Oklahoma Farm Tech grads claiming National Championships using Bama math?

soonerhubs
7/26/2007, 09:57 PM
I award the aggies one Schrute-Buck.

http://www.tobyhilden.com/images/schrute_buck.jpg

illinisooner
8/3/2007, 10:14 AM
Could someone please tell me how Texas was preseason #2 last year with essentially the same team we bring back this year? Good backs and receivers, solid defense, but no quarterback. Exactly what we have, except better backs and receievers, albeit not as solid of a front four. We're #8, they were #2. What?

goingoneight
8/23/2007, 01:12 AM
Question: how many losses do people honestly think they'll have? If they get by us, I don't see anyone that should scare them without a major injury (McCoy).

BASSooner
8/23/2007, 08:26 AM
us, aTm, okie state(believe it or not), tcu, and nebraska.

These are all possibilities. The chances have but increased due to receiver injuries, back up QB injuries, and other players getting into trouble.

josh09
8/26/2007, 02:19 PM
OSU deserves to beat them, after those 2 years of going up on them by 3 touchdowns or w/e it was, and then texass coming back and winning.

Well i guess thats the choke pokes for ya.

goingoneight
8/26/2007, 06:16 PM
I think it will be a good game (OSU versus UT) much like K-State versus Tejas last year... but OSU definitely needs some breaks to go their way to stay in it late. By the time they play Tejas, the whorns will have no excuses for a weak defense, as the season will be more than midway through, and Tejas can put it together usually by the RRS in Dallas if not during or shortly after.
Usually an underdog needs some things to go their way to establish momentum, then they have to be able to ride with it. Best example is the Fiesta Bowl. Kelly goes down and PT tosses a couple of picks and we had to eek OUr way back into it. If we played carefully like we did versus OSU and Nebraska, minus the injury, things could have been much different. Same could be said for Florida State when Snoop Minnis got suspended before the 2001 Orange Bowl. Although that one's probably shot since their entire offense was shut out.

BASSooner
9/2/2007, 01:52 AM
im pretty sure that the arkie state game backed me up on this one.