PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Denver Hippies

SeattleOUstudent
6/20/2007, 11:37 AM
Im comin to your neck of the woods this weekend. Going to be in the downtown area, but will have access to a rental car. What are some cant-miss things in your city? Good local place to eat? Maybe some touristy stuff? :texan:

Petro-Sooner
6/20/2007, 12:50 PM
If you want to see hippies check out the outdoor mall in Boulder. Its a sight to see. :mack:

springs sooner
6/20/2007, 12:55 PM
if you want to see hippies just go anywhere in Boulder. they are all over the place.

there is a few cool brewries in the lodo area that are pretty cool.

Petro-Sooner
6/20/2007, 12:58 PM
Its definatly a different life style there.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 01:02 PM
there haven't been hippies in Boulder for 10 years. it's too expensive. nice try, guys.

Petro-Sooner
6/20/2007, 01:09 PM
King I knew you would chime in on this. ;) What do you mean? Granted I have one been there once, but the people I saw there sure did fit the bill to a hippie. Dreads, shoeless, looked like they hadnt bathed in sometime. Just very "earthy". Those type of people. Maybe you have a different definition of a hippie though. :)

Petro-Sooner
6/20/2007, 01:11 PM
I have seen what some people call, "trustafarians". Maybe thats what I saw.

picasso
6/20/2007, 01:26 PM
still plenty of hippies in Taos. just over the hill the rednecks still rule in Red River.

hippies do know good art and cool old vinyl records.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 01:27 PM
welcome to 2007. trustafarians exist, but they look like you and me today. 10 years ago they played the dreads, poverty guilty cause i'm rich look.

it's the Baby Boomers who have taken over Boulder, not the weirdos or freaks.

there's no such thing as a hippie anymore, it's just a lame pejorative people who wear white Reebok tennies, white socks, white t-shirts and edge their yard in the burbs use.

Petro-Sooner
6/20/2007, 01:31 PM
Its Nikes thank you very much. :D

picasso
6/20/2007, 01:35 PM
our guide last week for the rio grande white water rafting was a Taos hippie.
in the winter he's a ski guide.
he knew all about the geological progression of the mountains we went through, had BO, had lost his wife to her gay lover, wore spandex shorts and hiking boots and had a dead tooth.

pretty qualified.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 01:38 PM
our guide last week for the rio grande white water rafting was a Taos hippie.
in the winter he's a ski guide.
he knew all about the geological progression of the mountains we went through, had BO, had lost his wife to her gay lover, wore spandex shorts and hiking boots and had a dead tooth.

pretty qualified.

see that's different. it's too expensive in Boulder for guys like that. i understand completely.....but Boulder is too pricey these days.

Petro-Sooner
6/20/2007, 01:41 PM
I had a phone interview with a company in Denver and somehow the talk moved to Boulder and the high price of living there. Something about how the government owns the land around it so it cant expand. Something like that. Pretty country though.

ric311
6/20/2007, 06:20 PM
I had a phone interview with a company in Denver and somehow the talk moved to Boulder and the high price of living there. Something about how the government owns the land around it so it cant expand. Something like that. Pretty country though.

2/3 of Boulder County is publicly controlled. It's astonishing.

There are hippies in Boulder, but they live in their cars and panhandle on the Pearl St. Mall. They wake up every day and have a convention to decide what they'll protest that day. No, they don't have jobs, they just protest a bunch of stuff.

Most of the folks in Boulder anymore have an elitist attitude and an enormous sense of entitlement. I can say that because I grew up there. It's a beautiful city with lots to do and see, especially if you like out-doorsy kinds of stuff like rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, etc. If you're coming to Colorado, I'd take a day to get up to Boulder and see the place. You don't need any more time than that.

Denver is a very fun city, IMO. You'll be within walking distance of most of the attractions in Denver if you're staying in a downtown hotel. Hit Lodo and Larimer Square. Maybe catch a ball game at Coors Field if they're in town this weekend (I don't know if they are or not, to be honest). Go to REI and just walk around the place. I love REI. It's outrageously expensive, but they have the coolist stuff there.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 07:00 PM
ric: you talk like a suburbanite. those aren't "hippies"; those are bums and mean spirited alcoholics and meth kids. and they don't have cars. this time of year they sleep near Boulder Creek or up in the canyon or near the Flatirons by Chautauqua.

"hippies" were upper middle class college students in the late 60's who didn't have to go to Vietnam.

i like Denver a lot. i think it's a cool city that has great public transportation...the light rail is awesome.

nmsoonergirl
6/20/2007, 07:13 PM
The Flying Dog Brewery tour is fun, and they give you enough beer that I actually got a little drunk.
9th Door is our current favorite LoDo uppity place to eat/drink.
KingC knows a great Sushi place in LoDo, but I've forgotten the name...he'd probably tell you if you asked.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 07:24 PM
El Chapultapec is Denver's legendary jazz bar. it's a dive, but it's great. great history. Denver has a great jazz history.

Sushi Mori, not a bs trendy place. was the american legion post for japanese fighters in Denver. "japs" who fought for the US. really interesting, weird place. great bargain for sushi. especially at lunch.

did you really go there nms?

nmsoonergirl
6/20/2007, 07:28 PM
I went there with my friends after our 9 hour multiple choice test--it was perfect. Laid back, no pretense, but really good sushi. Had a great time--thanks for the tip.
We are moving Mr. nms up there in August for school. We need to find him a room to rent near campus, and hopefully a job in a kitchen working with a decent chef (I refuse to send him to school unless he actually has at least a token job).....any ideas?

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 07:40 PM
what campus? where?

i dont' know much about the Denver culinary scene, to be honest. all my experience is in Boulder and Lake Tahoe (north shore).

you might check out the food writer Jason Sheehan, at Westword (free publication).....not because he's great, but he knows his way around Denver. i give him that. but maybe we all would if we got paid to do it, no? but the back issues of the column might be workable about the "hot" chefs around town.

http://restaurants.westword.com/

Petro-Sooner
6/21/2007, 09:14 AM
Last summer we went by the nature history museum in Denver. I believe that is what it is called. Pretty impressive actually. At the time they had the Body Works exhibit there. That was really cool and kinda freaky to see. I'm sure they are not there anymore but seattleOUstudent that would be a place to check out if your into that type of stuff.

And go check out the flatirons.

springs sooner
6/21/2007, 09:27 AM
take the tour of New Belgium ( fat tire and many others ) brewry in Fort Collins. you are sure to come back with a good buzz

ric311
6/21/2007, 06:15 PM
Last summer we went by the nature history museum in Denver. I believe that is what it is called. Pretty impressive actually. At the time they had the Body Works exhibit there. That was really cool and kinda freaky to see. I'm sure they are not there anymore but seattleOUstudent that would be a place to check out if your into that type of stuff.

And go check out the flatirons.

Right now they're having a fantastic exhibit on Benjamin Franklin at the Denver Museum of Natural History. Great stuff. It's a pretty good museum.

Also, the Denver Art Museum was just re-opened after a big-time renovation and expansion by architect Daniel Liebeskind. I think it looks like a giant bomb went off, but I suppose that's what passes for architecture these days.

CORNholio
6/22/2007, 02:56 AM
El Chapultapec is Denver's legendary jazz bar. it's a dive, but it's great. great history. Denver has a great jazz history.

Sushi Mori, not a bs trendy place. was the american legion post for japanese fighters in Denver. "japs" who fought for the US. really interesting, weird place. great bargain for sushi. especially at lunch.

did you really go there nms?

Am I the only one who thinks sushi and middle america might not be the best combo? Unless it's catfish or sumtin.

King Crimson
6/22/2007, 02:00 PM
Am I the only one who thinks sushi and middle america might not be the best combo? Unless it's catfish or sumtin.

overnight air. nearly all restaurants or distributors use it.

nmsoonergirl
6/22/2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, it's not like they aren't flying fish into the sushi places on the coast.....
KC, he's going to Johnson & Wales--I think we'll have some luck finding someone who has a basement or something to rent near the campus. He'll only be there 9 months, so he definitely doesn't need anything nice.
Thanks for the link--he's browsing around looking for a lead.

1stTimeCaller
6/22/2007, 05:34 PM
I lived about 7 minutes from Johnson & Wales in the Lowry North Apartments at 11th & Quebec. Nice, quiet. 700sf for about 700/month. There are some efficiencies on the actual old Lowry AFB that may be cheaper.

Call them whatever you want to KC, I've been to Boulder once in my life and that was in 2004 to do a safety audit of the ATLAS building on campus. Near campus I saw a white guy with dreads walking his dog while riding a unicycle. We ate lunch at some Campus Corner type area and there were many more 'natural' or 'hippy' or 'trustafarian' types that smelled of inscense than I had ever seen in my life.

This time of year is a great time to eat outside on the 16th street mall and people watch.

King Crimson
6/22/2007, 05:42 PM
1tC, maybe I just don't notice it anymore. to me i see more mean-spirited drunks and poseur kids.

ATLAS building huh? my current office is in the library just around the corner. small world.

ric311
6/22/2007, 06:47 PM
1tC, maybe I just don't notice it anymore. to me i see more mean-spirited drunks and poseur kids.

ATLAS building huh? my current office is in the library just around the corner. small world.

You work at Norlin?

There was a time in my life that I really wanted to move back to Boulder. I live in Longmont now and I'm very happy because of it. Boulder has become one of those places that's great to visit, but the mentality of the people in that town is downright insane.