PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart article

thenotman
6/20/2007, 10:20 AM
I noticed the Jon Stewart vs. Gary England thread and came across this and thought a few might be interested

What a joke
Traditional TV news is laughable compared to Jon Stewart's journalism, says Rick Rojas
By: Rick Rojas
Posted: 6/19/07
The Daily Show and broadcast news include all the same parts: a congenial anchor and a staff of correspondents on a flashy set, interviewing big name guests. The difference is one is a parody, while the other is the real deal - but deciphering which is which seems to become harder every day.

Jon Stewart, the host of The Daily Show, is the often pinned in the media as the Walter Cronkite for this generation of younger Americans - who we watch, who we get our news from, who we trust. Though such a contention is somewhat hyperbolic, it is a testament to how the media are failing us.

Stewart reported on his program how Tony Snow made a boldfaced lie in a press conference in saying the firings of several U.S. attorneys had nothing to do with politics. In a split screen, one box had Snow in a March 15 press conference saying, "It's pretty clear that these things are based on performance and not on some sort of attempt to do political retribution."

They played the tape from last Wednesday's briefing. A reporter asked if the firings were based on performance, not politics, as he had said. His response: "No…we have never said that."

What's more troubling than blatant mistruths coming from the White House is learning of them from a comedy show - because, besides Stewart, only a Washington Post columnist and a few others outside the mainstream media reported this.

In the same episode, Stewart interviewed actress, humanitarian, and the female half of the "Brangelina" tabloid craze, Angelina Jolie. Comparing Stewart's interview with Ann Curry's on The Today Show was like night and day. The comedian's, sadly, was the brighter of the two.

In between the punch lines and sophomoric cracks, Stewart asked Jolie about the rumor of her request that journalists sign a contract stating they wouldn't ask any questions about her personal relationship with the other "Brangelina" half, Brad Pitt, and her supposed request that the Fox News Channel not be allowed at the premiere of her new movie.

Meanwhile, Curry looked like a schoolgirl wanting to become Jolie's best friend. She not only avoided any tough questions, her queries were so indulging of the superstar I thought her next question would be, "How are you so awesome?"

Even worse, valuable time on the public airwaves was dedicated to Curry's lobbing of softball questions instead of issues of greater importance.

Of course, this is an old and common argument against television news. CNN spent hours following O.J. Simpson in the white Ford Bronco. Laci Peterson, whose murder mystery was a live-action Lifetime movie. Then, Anna Nicole Smith - and Larry King and Nancy Grace's investigations into who could be the father of her baby.

And the network executives wonder why they can't keep younger viewers. Last summer, CBS thought after the forced retirement of 76-year-old anchorman Dan Rather, it would be a time to spiffy up the newscast for the much-desired younger audience. Their solution: Katie Couric. In their minds, they revolutionized the CBS Evening News by bringing in more features such as "exclusive" photographs of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' baby, and an anchorwoman who has as less journalism gravitas than Stewart.

Couric is, no surprise, a colossal failure now with fewer viewers than Rather at his lowest point. Newscasts are going gaga over Paris Hilton, wasting airtime over an irrelevant airhead, analyzing a molehill as though it's a mountain. And, besides a few islands of sanity, such as Keith Olbermann, the TV viewer is left to watch Jon Stewart for hard-hitting questions and the competent analysis of current events - even if it does come from a comedian. All the while, TV news is giving Stewart a run for his money by being a parody of themselves.

http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper657/news/2007/06/19/Opinion/What-A.Joke-2916123.shtml

soonervegas
6/20/2007, 10:28 AM
The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are the best hour of "political commentary" on TV today.

I still watch CNN for breaking news. I also check out Fox News to see how the far right is spinning things and Keith Olbermann when I want to see the far left. I never sniff CBS, NBC, or ABC Nightly News. Those formats are dead.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 10:31 AM
I never sniff CBS, NBC, or ABC Nightly News. Those formats are dead.

what are you high? the MSM controlls your mind and even though don't watch/read it.....that's what's so insidious.

vote Lenin.

M
6/20/2007, 10:37 AM
I'm never home early enough to watch the national 5:30 p.m. news anyway. Most young people get their news through RSS so they don't have to be subjected to all the crap they don't care about.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/20/2007, 11:09 AM
The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are the best hour of "political commentary" on TV today.

I still watch CNN for breaking news. I also check out Fox News to see how the far right is spinning things and Keith Olbermann when I want to see the far left. I never sniff CBS, NBC, or ABC Nightly News. Those formats are dead.Oh YES! Stewart and Colbert are RIGHT ON! Both are particularly sweet on Market Economics, and are the REAL "Fair and Balanced" newscast.

Hatfield
6/20/2007, 11:18 AM
clip of him on crossfire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

StoopTroup
6/20/2007, 11:20 AM
Even Dennis Miller has appeared on The Daily Show as of late....

He even realizes that things have changed so drastically that Jon now is using Dennis as a Schtick, calling him for "One Liners" to use when talking about current events...

Miller has always been a classic for talking over peoples heads with his wit...

Stewart and Miller could quite possibly take over any Major Networks format and improve on them without even an appearance from either of them, is my guess...

OU4LIFE
6/20/2007, 11:54 AM
clip of him on crossfire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

that is awesome.

picasso
6/20/2007, 11:57 AM

I hope you're kidding.

I've seen Stewart before he was popular. He's gotten better but anybody can poke fun and show cute clips. He has no real answers.

It's a jackoff tv show.

JohnnyMack
6/20/2007, 12:01 PM
it's a jackoff tv show.

No. Those cost $12.99 and can be found in hotel rooms.

Or so I hear.

OU4LIFE
6/20/2007, 12:03 PM
well, it's not supposed to be a news show.....it's comedy.

But in that crossfire clip, he wears those guys out.

soonervegas
6/20/2007, 12:04 PM
I guess you missed the "political commentary" part. The quotation marks means I am using the term very loosely.

Fact is I would watch these before the drones on Fox, MSNBC, or CNN and still feel like I get more out of two comedy shows. Like the article says......these shows know what they are. Other shows are trying to be serious and come of looking no better than two programs on comedy central.

picasso
6/20/2007, 12:04 PM
that much?:D

my point is yeah he's funny, yeah he makes everyone in the political spectrum look stupid with his clips and comments but that's it.

it ain't news.

picasso
6/20/2007, 12:07 PM
I guess you missed the "political commentary" part. The quotation marks means I am using the term very loosely.

I understood that part.

Fact is I would watch these before the drones on Fox, MSNBC, or CNN and still feel like I get more out of two comedy shows. Like the article says......these shows know what they are. Other shows are trying to be serious and come of looking no better than two programs on comedy central.
That's where you get fuzzy.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 12:11 PM
if Dennis Miller is talking "over yer head".....it's kinda weak sauce.

picasso
6/20/2007, 12:11 PM
well, it's not supposed to be a news show.....it's comedy.

right, I realize that. It seems though that some of these younger knobs don't get that part.

I remember seeing Stewart on the old Maher show on HBO, Politically Incorrect. He was really funny, witty and impressive. But, he would have gotten stroked if he had to actually try to give any real solutions to things.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 12:21 PM
right, I realize that. It seems though that some of these younger knobs don't get that part.

I remember seeing Stewart on the old Maher show on HBO, Politically Incorrect. He was really funny, witty and impressive. But, he would have gotten stroked if he had to actually try to give any real solutions to things.

the old "solutions" argument is weak sauce. one of the lamest diversionary trick bags in the GOP playbook.

i'm not a Dem but i hate this rhetorical dodge.

what are the GOP solutions, lies about no taxes, small government? freedom while clamping down on civil rights "in the name of the people".

mother ****er, please.

Hatfield
6/20/2007, 12:23 PM

picasso
6/20/2007, 12:27 PM
the old "solutions" argument is weak sauce. one of the lamest diversionary trick bags in the GOP playbook.

what are the GOP solutions, lies about no taxes, small government? freedom while clamping down on civil rights "in the name of the people".

mother ****er, please.
sorry I missed the GOP playbook memo. and I'm not a straight party shooter.

I can go on tv and poke fun at everyone but that doesn't mean I know jack ****. Same as John effin Stewart.
and, I agree on the GOP crap concerning taxes. that's why the last group of 'em on the hill got sent home.

but, don't get too high up on that soapbox you power to the peoples and free speech types because you, just like everyone else, only wants to hear your side o the bitching.

StoopTroup
6/20/2007, 12:30 PM
I think the thing that seems to trouble most of the critics of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report is the fact that they have become popular by making fools out of people who were supposed to be well informed and doing a service to their audience via their opinions and research.

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report mostly find these shows weak sauce and capitilize by showing just how full of beans most of them have become.

The other shows seem to be ****ed off because The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are getting better ratings and their shows are faced with the reality that people are worn out by their Nightly Dribble which ultimately has solved nothing and created even more confusion in most viewers minds.

People whether Red or Blue or in-between are just sick of these shows and the Politicians / Political Parties that have made them.

picasso
6/20/2007, 12:30 PM

mother ****er, please.
and dude, we're cool but if you're going to pull that line then let's hear the brilliant left side solution to terrorism and our domestic energy crisis.

:cool:

picasso
6/20/2007, 12:32 PM
I think the thing that seems to trouble most of the critics of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report is the fact that they have become popular by making fools out of people who were supposed to be well informed and doing a service to their audience via their opinions and research.

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report mostly find these shows weak sauce and capitilize by showing just how full of beans most of them have become.

but that's not a new formula.

:)

StoopTroup
6/20/2007, 12:37 PM
It's my belief that the SO thrives on the formula...lol

OCUDad
6/20/2007, 12:54 PM
Maybe if someone actually HAD a solution, comedy like The Daily Show would have a smaller audience. Ragging on Stewart because he isn’t proposing solutions isn’t fair, because that’s not the business he’s in.

The people who ARE in the business of solutions haven’t done squat. So at least let’s get a laugh out of it, because nobody’s offering more than that.

Condescending Sooner
6/20/2007, 12:59 PM

mother ****er, please.

Can you please tell me ANY civil rights you have lost?

picasso
6/20/2007, 01:12 PM
Maybe if someone actually HAD a solution, comedy like The Daily Show would have a smaller audience. Ragging on Stewart because he isn’t proposing solutions isn’t fair, because that’s not the business he’s in.

The people who ARE in the business of solutions haven’t done squat. So at least let’s get a laugh out of it, because nobody’s offering more than that.
look, I realize that. my point is he's not any smarter than his research team and editors. if he was being held to the fire he just might look as stupid as those in the political game.
those in the business of solutions haven't done squat? they've disappointed me but they have worked hard to get a few things ironed out a time or two.

just don't act like the GOP party line or this and that is any worse or better. :rolleyes: it's all a game, from Mit Romney's fake smile all the way down to John Edwards and his mohairdo.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 01:19 PM
Can you please tell me ANY civil rights you have lost?

the possibility that my email be monitored when there was none before...because i have friends overseas who write for certain journals that are not 100% pro-Israeli.

i have friends who teach classes on the middle east who have their syllabi monitored by the FBI.

basically your question is stupid, since the Patriot Acts I and II stipulate such surveillance activity.

which i'm sure you support.

thenotman
6/20/2007, 01:20 PM
Stewart does report the news... He just makes fun of it as he does it

Condescending Sooner
6/20/2007, 01:41 PM
the possibility that my email be monitored when there was none before...because i have friends overseas who write for certain journals that are not 100% pro-Israeli.

i have friends who teach classes on the middle east who have their syllabi monitored by the FBI.

basically your question is stupid, since the Patriot Acts I and II stipulate such surveillance activity.

which i'm sure you support.

I said YOU. Who exactly has the time to monitor everyone in the USA's e-mails? My question is not stupid, your paranoia is.

SCOUT
6/20/2007, 02:00 PM
Stewart does report the news... He just makes fun of it as he does it
This isn't really true. Stewart reports snippets of news and takes them out of context to make fun of them as he does it.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 03:42 PM
I said YOU. Who exactly has the time to monitor everyone in the USA's e-mails? My question is not stupid, your paranoia is.

its not "everyone" in the USA that i refer to. it's a specific demographic. your question is stupid. the fact you don't know it, is.

should you choose to respond, i know already the two ways it will go.

def_lazer_fc
6/20/2007, 05:04 PM
This isn't really true. Stewart reports snippets of news and takes them out of context to make fun of them as he does it.
what exactly does he take out of context? besides snippets of qoutes, which if played in full, would still sound as stupid as they are in reality.

Vaevictis
6/20/2007, 05:31 PM

Ever read "First they came..."?

And as for having time, they don't need to spend all that much time. They have automated filtering tools that pick through the emails for them, and when something interesting pops up, THEN a human reads it.

TMcGee86
6/20/2007, 05:42 PM
I like John Stewart and I like his show, but he was a total kiss-ace with Kerry.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 06:10 PM
and dude, we're cool but if you're going to pull that line then let's hear the brilliant left side solution to terrorism and our domestic energy crisis.

:cool:

i know we all worship Ron Reagan here, but if he doesn't effectively kill the DOE budget, we are 25 years ahead of where we are in terms of foreign energy dependence. the Bushes are in bed with the Saudis. it's not that hard to figure out why we don't have alternative fuels.

it's all about the pipeline out of the south caspian....the last major oil grab on planet earth. Clinton ****ed it up, he could have had it through our puppet Turkey.....but he screwed it up. it had to go through two fake nations we are currently warring with (for moral and democratic purposes, of course). Karachi, the port town. look at a map. and Halliburton charges the US military about 70 bucks a meal for each soldier 3 time a day. lot of profit.

picasso
6/20/2007, 06:21 PM
not gonna argue with that but I thought every president we've had recently has dropped the ball on the energy problem.

King Crimson
6/20/2007, 06:51 PM
not gonna argue with that but I thought every president we've had recently has dropped the ball on the energy problem.

can't argue with that. notice i mentioned CLinton....but Reagan slashed the DOE. there was no ball to drop after that. only petroleum profit sectors.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/20/2007, 08:20 PM
can't argue with that. notice i mentioned CLinton....but Reagan slashed the DOE. there was no ball to drop after that. only petroleum profit sectors.We all know that if many off-limits-to-drilling areas were opened up by our lawmakers, the price of petroleum would go down, and we wouldn't be anywhere near as dependent on foreign, hostile countries as we now are. It's not nearly as complicated as you guys want to make it. Both parties are guilty of restrictive legislation. (but the democrats even moreso than the repubs) Heck, even Bush and his former gov. brother in Fla. have been against opening up new drilling sites.

Condescending Sooner
6/21/2007, 09:15 AM
its not "everyone" in the USA that i refer to. it's a specific demographic. your question is stupid. the fact you don't know it, is.

should you choose to respond, i know already the two ways it will go.

You still haven't listed any civil rights YOU have lost. That was my question, and you still haven't answered it, but keeep trying to divert the point. Why is my question stupid? You really need someone to explain punctuation to you.

thenotman
6/21/2007, 09:20 AM
You still haven't listed any civil rights YOU have lost. That was my question, and you still haven't answered it, but keeep trying to divert the point. Why is my question stupid? You really need someone to explain punctuation to you.

Wowen not having the right to vote doesn't effect me at all... guess I shouldnt support it.

SCOUT
6/21/2007, 10:43 AM
what exactly does he take out of context? besides snippets of qoutes, which if played in full, would still sound as stupid as they are in reality.
This is his modus operandi and Stewart himself has admitted it on his show. I don't really think my clarification is all that groundbreaking.

StoopTroup
6/21/2007, 10:44 AM
I think he's funny.

Hatfield
6/21/2007, 01:32 PM
his bit on tony snow the other day was funny as hell.

tony snow: as you can see this was performance based.

few months later reporter asks about tony saying it was performance based.

tony snow: i never said that.

TopDawg
6/21/2007, 01:56 PM
I hope you're kidding.

I've seen Stewart before he was popular. He's gotten better but anybody can poke fun and show cute clips. He has no real answers.

It's a jackoff tv show.

There is some poking fun, no doubt, but it's more than just poking fun. When he shows stuff like Hatfield just summarized (which was also in the story in the original post)

tony snow: as you can see this was performance based.

few months later reporter asks about tony saying it was performance based.
tony snow: i never said that.

that, to me, is newsworthy. It's not a "cute clip" and it's not "poking fun." It's calling out our governmental leaders when they're lying. Republicans were all for it when Clinton was in office, now it's childish?

I would argue that Stewart's answer is "Let's hold our decision makers accountable." When someone's denying they said something that they said, let's point that out.

Problem: Governmental leaders are lying.
Stewart's Answer: Don't lie.

Yes, sometimes his responses are childish and his answers aren't going to directly solve the Mid-East or environmental problems, but if more journalists practiced their trade by holding people accountable for their actions, perhaps we'd have better leaders in those governmental positions and, as a result, we would get better answers from them...the people who are SUPPOSED to be giving answers.

Condescending Sooner
6/21/2007, 02:30 PM
Wowen not having the right to vote doesn't effect me at all... guess I shouldnt support it.

WTF? Real relevant point there Einstein. Oh, and what exactly is a wowen?