PDA

View Full Version : Bloomburg bolts GOP

85Sooner
6/19/2007, 05:35 PM
Think he is thinkin about a presidential run? Don't think he would get very far IMHO.

(CBS) NEW YORK CBS 2 HD has learned New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is leaving the Republican party and has announced he is currently unaffiliated with a political party.

The move will clearly begin advancing rumors that the mayor is gearing towards a presidential run, which he has denied in the past.

In a statement, however, Bloomberg indicated this doesn't change his plans for his political future.

"I have filed papers with the New York City Board of Elections to change my status as a voter and register as unaffiliated with any political party. Although my plans for the future haven’t changed, I believe this brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead our City."

On Tuesday, Bloomberg was in California attending a conference at the University of Southern California along with California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. The pair appeared on this week's cover of Time magazine.

In his statement, Bloomberg went on to discuss his progress leading New York City.

“A nonpartisan approach has worked wonders in New York: we’ve balanced budgets, grown our economy, improved public health, reformed the school system and made the nation’s safest city even safer.

“We have achieved real progress by overcoming the partisanship that too often puts narrow interests above the common good. As a political independent, I will continue to work with those in all political parties to find common ground, to put partisanship aside and to achieve real solutions to the challenges we face.

“Any successful elected executive knows that real results are more important than partisan battles and that good ideas should take precedence over rigid adherence to any particular political ideology. Working together, there’s no limit to what we can do.”

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_170181024.html
Go Thompson

SoonerStormchaser
6/19/2007, 05:39 PM
Whatever...he may be popular in NYC, but he has as much a chance of being POTUS as I do running the NAACP.

Rudy would eat him for lunch.

Jerk
6/19/2007, 05:43 PM
He wasn't much of a Republican anyway. Maybe a blue-blood country club Republican, but not a red-stater.

Harry Beanbag
6/19/2007, 06:13 PM
New York City is the safest city in the country?

SoonerStormchaser
6/19/2007, 06:52 PM
Just ahead of New Orleans, Detroit and Gary, Indiana.

Jerk
6/19/2007, 06:52 PM
I just read a little more info on this. Bloomberg was a registered Democrat when he wanted to get in the mayorial race, but the Dems had already picked their nomination.

So...

He is the living and breathing manifestation of a RINO

He's a big government lib, and he could spend a half a billion dollars (or more) of his own money on a Presidential run.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/19/2007, 08:23 PM
He must not be able to think of any better way to spend his billion$ than to run for POTUS. I predict a waste of money.

King Crimson
6/19/2007, 08:32 PM
He wasn't much of a Republican anyway. Maybe a blue-blood country club Republican, but not a red-stater.

this is most hilarious.

Jerk
6/19/2007, 08:37 PM
this is most hilarious.

Somewhere in the world of internet-land, there is a picture of someone's mailbox that looks like a giant replica of a handgun. Below it is a caption that reads "Welcome to the Red States."

That always makes me snicker for some reason.