PDA

View Full Version : ****2007 NBA Offseason Thread****

Scott D
6/19/2007, 04:00 PM
beat ya to it colley.

Draft is just over a week from today, and the potential trade wire is abuzz.

So far the "key" figures to watch over the next week or two.

Kobe Bryant - his on again off again trade demands (currently on) are going to be the biggest buzz of right now. Supposedly the most likely destinations for Jellybean's kid are Chicago or New York. But, there are about 6 other rumors out there which are unlikely (including Rasheed and Rip for Kobe).

Kevin Garnett - clearly wants out of the Twin Cities. Kevin McHale is listening to offers, the strongest suitor at the moment is supposed to be Boston.

Shawn Marion - Phoenix is probably about 70% likely to lose "The Matrix". The strongest rumors have Marion going to Detroit, or Washington.

Another rumor gaining strength right now is one involving Portland trading Zach Randolph to Washington for Antwan Jamison. Basically Portland's way of building a new "big 3" with Brandon Roy, Jamison, and Oden.

Also, apparently PJ Carlesimo is the frontrunner to be the Sonics new head coach.

Newbomb Turk
6/19/2007, 04:02 PM
Also, apparently PJ Carlesimo is the frontrunner to be the Sonics new head coach.

the way coaches are recycled in the NBA amazes me.

Scott D
6/19/2007, 04:06 PM
I almost attempted to be a walk-on for PJ at Seton Hall before I sent in an application to OU (I had already been accepted to Seton Hall as a probationary student the previous year). He's a stand up guy, but I think he's better served going back to college than being Popovich's sidekick in San Antonio (where he's been the past few years) or in another NBA head coaching gig.

NormanPride
6/19/2007, 04:48 PM
Do you think PJ leaving San Antonio will affect their game much?

Scott D
6/19/2007, 05:35 PM
Not really, the Spurs were successful before Pop hired PJ as an assistant.

NormanPride
6/20/2007, 10:29 AM
I was hoping he would take the OU job when it opened up.

sanantoniosooner
6/20/2007, 10:51 AM
If anything, PJ has picked up on some things that should make him a better coach.

Scott D
6/20/2007, 12:37 PM
If anything, PJ has picked up on some things that should make him a better coach.

well he learned the most important thing long ago. Don't have Latrell Sprewell on your roster if you are any sort of disciplinarian.

snp
7/19/2007, 03:16 PM
The FRANCHISE returns to Houston for a 2 year $6 million deal.

A part of me screams noooooooooooooo because it's Stevey Franchise. But a part of me is intrigued. If he can look around the league and see how Ginobli and Barbosa have got their credit as 6th man, it could work out. McGrady has shown that he isn't reliable so maybe they should cut down on his MPG. The whole offense relied on McGrady before, so he really couldn't get a break. Throw in Francis to spell McGrady and let him chuck it up 20 times in 2 minutes. He won't be worse than any of the other clowns in the backcourt, scoring wise.

sanantoniosooner
7/19/2007, 05:20 PM
Good luck to Houston. I don't think McGrady or Francis would be cool splitting time.

And Ginobili gets the minutes of a starter. He just comes off the bench to do it. The Spurs are so much better holding him out to see what the other team gets rolling and then throwing Manu in there to screw everything up. I don't think Ginobili would have the character to take that role if he wasn't playing with Tim. Team comes first or you hit the road.

NormanPride
7/20/2007, 02:37 PM
I thought we should at least mention in this thread that a ref got caught point shaving. For posterity.

snp
7/20/2007, 03:00 PM
Innocent and proven guilty, etc etc. Hope they nail him to the wall if he's convicted. Here's some gambling data on him:

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nba/referees/2005-2006/referee403935.html&t=0

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2007, 03:26 PM
Of course, your link is blocked at work.

For gambling. ;)

snp
7/20/2007, 10:16 PM
Looks like this is just the start of it:

Said one league source with ties to Philadelphia (Donaghy is one of four NBA refs who graduated from Philadelphia's Cardinal O'Hara High School and he still lives in the Quaker City suburbs): "When I heard that a referee was in trouble with gambling, I knew right away it was Donaghy."

Beyond the issue of the ref's alleged gambling, and whether or not the NBA knew about it, the baby-faced Donaghy is no stranger to trouble. In January, 2005, his next-door neighbors in Chester County sued him for harassment and invasion of privacy for a pattern of discord that had reportedly gone on for several years. Peter and Lisa Mansueto claimed that Donaghy vandalized their property and stalked them, even to the point of following Mrs. Mansueto around Radley Run Country Club, where Donaghy and the Mansuetos were members. After an internal investigation, Donaghy was suspended from Radley Run for the summer and early fall of 2004. The suit also alleged that Donaghy set fire to the Mansuetos' tractor and crashed their golf cart into a ravine.

That's one way to put it. The league source close to Philly put it this way: "He's the kind of guy who is always in fights. When he was a kid, you'd see him throwing rocks at cars. He's just an *******. No one likes the guy. He's always in fights on the golf course, that kind of thing. He's a very antagonistic guy. When you have too many enemies, one of them comes back to bite you.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jack_mccallum/07/20/ref.scandal/index.html

GrapevineSooner
7/24/2007, 11:46 AM
"He's the kind of guy who is always in fights. When he was a kid, you'd see him throwing rocks at cars. He's just an *******. No one likes the guy. He's always in fights on the golf course, that kind of thing. He's a very antagonistic guy. When you have too many enemies, one of them comes back to bite you.'

Which leads me to believe that this is truly an isolated incident.

Scott D
7/27/2007, 12:11 PM
well Mav fans....it's between your boys and mine as to who Chris Webber will be playing for next season.

sanantoniosooner
7/27/2007, 05:59 PM
Is that a threat?

Scott D
7/27/2007, 09:20 PM
no a threat would be someone other than the Spurs wanting Beef Jerky man. ;)

colleyvillesooner
7/30/2007, 02:10 PM
Don't know how I feel about that...

Beef
8/10/2007, 09:48 AM
Penny Hardaway signs with the Heat. Why is this "reunion" with Shaq so entertaining to me?

Scott D
8/10/2007, 12:00 PM
mebbe cuz of stuff like this.

Always an interesting quote Shaq may have said it best when he compared the aforementioned Wade and Bryant along with his Orlando sidekick Penny Hardaway to the Corleone brothers from the Godfather trilogy.

He claimed Penny was like Fredo, the weak, dumb brother. Kobe was Sonny, the overbearing, power-hungry brother. Finally D-Wade was Michael, the mature, respectful brother who ultimately has the power handed to him.