PDA

View Full Version : My analysis, your opinions

BASSooner
6/19/2007, 02:40 PM
This my analysis of what I THINK is going to happen for OUr upcoming season with OUr team:

Offense
With the players that we have, I can honestly see us running a 3-back system VERY similar to USC's because of OUr young runningbacks(quality and quantity) and OUr elite offensive line. The only difference would be balance. USC passed for over 3000 yards and their 3 RBs rushed for a combined 1700 yards. Kevin Wilson loves balance and tends to keep it that way as long as he is here. Whether or not we do run the system, the RBs will rush for over 2000 yards combined just like last season and the QB, regardless of who, will pass for over 2000 yards.

Defense
For this season, I see us being less aggressive and instead of trying to force turnovers, we execute and just try to prevent from big offensive plays from happening. If any part of the defense were to be aggressive at all it would be the secondary just because of OUr veterans and how well they can make plays. I'm pretty sure you guys know that we are always great at LB regardless of who leaves.

Special Teams
Whoever doesn't have Hartley possibly winning the Groza award is a complete moron. However, there are people that hate us and I'm not surprised if they don't have him on their lists. Reggie Smith SHOULD have a breakout year considering the elite blockers that he has. Having DeMarco beside him will be just sickening and dangerous. OUr two punter system with Knall/Cohen has proven to be effective and unique.

Overall
This team should be great, better than last year. Although, this depends on if one thing happens just like every year and that is to execute OUr game plan from the get-go.

Collier11
6/19/2007, 02:46 PM
George Bush loves Tony Blair! ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
6/19/2007, 02:49 PM
Aggressive play in the secondary does not equal "preventing the big play".

Germans bomb Pearl Harbor!

BASSooner
6/19/2007, 02:51 PM
Aggressive play in the secondary does not equal "preventing the big play".

Germans bomb Pearl Harbor!
yes I know, hence I said IF up there. :rolleyes:

fwsooner22
6/19/2007, 02:52 PM
Let's Tackle Better.

Soonerringtones

CobraKai
6/19/2007, 03:08 PM
I think our offense needs an aggressive defense much like the 2001 offense did. That is assuming that we have avg QB play.

Collier11
6/19/2007, 03:20 PM
seriously though, we need to not be afraid to allow our qbs to make big plays/mistakes. IMO if you harness the qb they will be more likely to force something bad than if you allow them to just play and not be worried about making mistakes

85Sooner
6/19/2007, 03:23 PM
If I were the coach or the first team we play, I would run the same trick play that BS used to win the Fiesta bowl. If it worked then I would be very depressed.

PAW
6/19/2007, 04:28 PM
seriously though, we need to not be afraid to allow our qbs to make big plays/mistakes. IMO if you harness the qb they will be more likely to force something bad than if you allow them to just play and not be worried about making mistakes

I agree wholeheartedly!

You may not have been addressing a specific situation, but it sure seems like there is too much focus on not making mistakes (IMO), and the natural reaction in that situation is to tighten up. One missed throw long and we don't use that play for the rest of the game even if its open. Out of position on that play, hit the bench for the rest of the game. I realize I don't know everything going on, but I think there is too much focus on not making mistakes as opposed to making plays.

the_ouskull
6/19/2007, 04:38 PM
If I were the coach or the first team we play, I would run the same trick play that BS used to win the Fiesta bowl. If it worked then I would be very depressed.

I'd like to see us run it as our first offensive play of the season, just to kinda be like, "F*ck Boise State. We're still Oklahoma."

the_ouskull

flopshotjoe99
6/19/2007, 04:41 PM
Let's Tackle Better.

Soonerringtones

that alone would be a huge improvement over last year.

Geekboy
6/19/2007, 07:47 PM
Bottom line.........NEVER underestimate Stoops.

PLaw
6/19/2007, 10:13 PM
Let's Tackle Better.

Soonerringtones

So what's the over/under on the week that Stoops get "more involved" with the defense? I'll set the opening line at Week 3.

Seriously, until we can play sound fundamentals on D, we shouldn't be considered a Top 10 ball club.

Boomer

PLaw

goingoneight
6/19/2007, 11:31 PM
^^^ Agreed.

Offense: The quarterback is walking into a gold mine. Even a true freshmen will annihillate the likes of North Texas and Utah State. DeMarco Murray will shut up the critics very quickly. Why? He didn't just run well, he displayed a unique feel for the game and a talent the likes of which we haven't seen yet from a Stoops RB. The quicker DM and CB get rocking, the quicker AP begins to pwn again. AP is just a guy who needs motivation. I know I'm not the only one who was fretting when Stoops said we would be running the ball more with AP starting against Colorado. He had a major case of fumblitis until he was called upon to step up his game. Then for a short while he looked like an All-Conference RB.
Give everyone but the QB an A+ for potential and past accomplishments. And I think it's high time we ask more of a QB than to just "manage" the game. If the WR's focus really hard like they did in the 2nd half of the Fiesta Bowl, they ARE undoubtedly the best WR corps in the country.

Defense:
Abandon the obsession with blitzing. We get it, we're OU. We like to hit, we like to sack the QB. But we DON'T like surrendering a 4th and 19 TD Hook-and-Ladder. We don't like being beaten by grade school gadget plays because :les: WE GOTSTA GET MORE PRESSURE ON THE QUARTERBACK!!!
Some of OU's most dominant defenses and all of college football's most dominant defenses are based on simply making the play. Cover them, wrap them up, bring them down. No matter how fancy the catch, corner them, don't let them escape you... actually "tackle" them. Stop being so obsessed with making the big hit, unless you have a clean shot at someone with their back turned to you, then go for it.
With the size, speed and talent we have, why is this seemingly so hard? Even mid-majors are playing better defense than us at times because we're obsessed with stats and "pressure." Pressure is one thing, but don't rely on your LB's and DB's to bring the heat your line is supposed to.

Special Teams:
Reggie is hot and cold. Hot for the beginning of the 2006 season, cold after that bone spur incident against Iowa State. He says it's healthy now, so cool. My big question, why was he returning punts and stuff if it was hurt? It's my experience that tells me an injured knee doesn't bode well for a guy who has to return kicks and punts.
DeMarco should be a burst here, as well IMHO. AP has shown an ability to return kicks, Iggy has the only KO return for a TD the last two years if I'm correct. The kicking team? A++++, no questions, no excuses for failure.

snp
6/20/2007, 12:37 AM
So what's the over/under on the week that Stoops get "more involved" with the defense? I'll set the opening line at Week 3.

Seriously, until we can play sound fundamentals on D, we shouldn't be considered a Top 10 ball club.

Boomer

PLaw

Quit the crying for Venerables head until there's an actual gripe. We still finished 16th in total defense and 19th in scoring defense. And they weren't the reason we lost 2 of the 3 games last year either.

rainiersooner
6/20/2007, 04:04 AM

It depends on what the score is when they run it. If North Texas is hanging with us when they run it, we've got bigger problems than the Statue of Liberty.

The_Red_Patriot
6/20/2007, 09:27 AM
You always play aggressive defense and try to force turnovers. If you lay back preventing big plays, your playing not to lose(too cautious) instead of playing to win.

zeke
6/20/2007, 10:32 AM
I agree with "goingoneight".

I would add that along with outstanding WR's we have at least 2 of the best TE in the country. We need to use them more than what we did last year.

BASSooner
6/20/2007, 10:51 AM
Quit the crying for Venerables head until there's an actual gripe. We still finished 16th in total defense and 19th in scoring defense. And they weren't the reason we lost 2 of the 3 games last year either.
Not gonna bash BV at all. I think he continues to a better DC by season. He does know how to finish strong but, he needs to, like I said, execute from start to finish. He hasn't been able to do that since 05.

Like I said, not bashing him at all. I would pick him over 98% of other DCs in college football. He just needs to fix small mistakes that he can EASILY fix and maybe this is the season to do it.

Seamus
6/20/2007, 11:29 AM
I enjoyed your post -- several excellent points. But can you expound on this statement please:

a talent the likes of which we haven't seen yet from a Stoops RB

TIA

Collier11
6/20/2007, 11:59 AM
I enjoyed your post -- several excellent points. But can you expound on this statement please:

TIA

IMO I think he is talking about the total package/reggie bush type flair that we will see. The cutting and juking, the catching and running, the ability to break one guys ankles and outrun the next. We havent seen that since Stoops has been here,
Q: could break off any defender but often got caught from behind
AD: Fastest-strongest man alive, great vision but wasnt a so-called "juker", dont get me wrong he could make people miss but that wasnt his game. And we never threw the ball to him whether he could catch or not
Kejuan: straight ahead power runner with no break away speed

Seamus
6/20/2007, 01:28 PM
OK, that makes sense. I expect Murray will be just sick in the return game.

MextheBulldog
6/20/2007, 03:05 PM

I disagree - the worst thing you can do to an inexperienced QB is put pressure on him to "make big plays". More opportunities for big plays means more opportunities for mistakes. Limit your exposure to the possible mistakes, play great defense and run run run with those great RB's and that great OL. Play to your strengths - on this team it's the line and RB's. Sure, mix in some deep balls to MK from time to time, but only when the other team has 8 in the box. Plenty of recent teams have won with this strategy (Ravens '01, LSU '03, OU '01, '06).

Collier11
6/20/2007, 03:47 PM
I disagree - the worst thing you can do to an inexperienced QB is put pressure on him to "make big plays". More opportunities for big plays means more opportunities for mistakes. Limit your exposure to the possible mistakes, play great defense and run run run with those great RB's and that great OL. Play to your strengths - on this team it's the line and RB's. Sure, mix in some deep balls to MK from time to time, but only when the other team has 8 in the box. Plenty of recent teams have won with this strategy (Ravens '01, LSU '03, OU '01, '06).

You misread what I wrote, I never said put pressure on them to make big plays...what I said was dont put shackles on them where they are afraid to make a mistake or go for a big play from time to time because it is no "within" the offense

goingoneight
6/20/2007, 07:01 PM
IMO I think he is talking about the total package/reggie bush type flair that we will see. The cutting and juking, the catching and running, the ability to break one guys ankles and outrun the next. We havent seen that since Stoops has been here,
Q: could break off any defender but often got caught from behind
AD: Fastest-strongest man alive, great vision but wasnt a so-called "juker", dont get me wrong he could make people miss but that wasnt his game. And we never threw the ball to him whether he could catch or not
Kejuan: straight ahead power runner with no break away speed

That is right, but what I meant was he's a misdirection play in person. He turned defenders around and made fantastic moves on guys we haven't seen yet. The best way to describe it is, he runs like the 2002 Miracle Run against Alabama, but with the eyes and elusiveness of Q. His vision is phenominal from what I've seen so far.

NS5
6/21/2007, 12:42 PM
George Bush loves Tony Blair! ;)

Why not, Tony Blair and the UK is our number one ally. I don't care
if they want to tax our tea.

Seamus
6/21/2007, 12:47 PM
Tony Blair is gone very soon, and most of the people over there are champing at the bit for the day we have a new president. Hence, the reason Blair is gone.

Collier11
6/21/2007, 12:49 PM
Okayyyy, my statement was a joke, lets not make this a political convo! LOL!

Seamus
6/21/2007, 12:49 PM
Goingoneight,

Thanks for that. I agree -- some of the stuff DeMarco was doing in spring was mystical. I can't even calculate the over/under on the number of ankles (other players', hopefully not his) he snaps off this year.

NS5
6/21/2007, 12:51 PM
Quote: "Defense
For this season, I see us being less aggressive and instead of trying to force turnovers, we execute and just try to prevent from big offensive plays from happening. If any part of the defense were to be aggressive at all it would be the secondary just because of OUr veterans and how well they can make plays. I'm pretty sure you guys know that we are always great at LB regardless of who leaves."

Agressive, I guess we have to leave out a couple of players, who will not be slowed down. Harris, veteran and always aggressive. Beal, new guy, I think
he will surprises us all. We must not forget DJW, he proved in the past that
you do not run on him readily. All Qb's would do themselves a favor by putting a picture of DJW on their dorm wall, because they will see a lot of that
face on gameday.

Collier11
6/21/2007, 12:52 PM
"learn how to quote" ;)

CatfishSooner
6/21/2007, 12:56 PM
DJW...
Are you serious?

BASSooner
6/21/2007, 04:05 PM
DJW is too wishy washy. He is either explosive or he just doesn't execute at all.

goingoneight
6/22/2007, 01:03 AM
DJW got off to a rocky start in 2006, so what? Didn't EVERYONE? Even OUr All-American didn't look so great early on.

Cover saftey sounds good for him. We'll see, I guess. Kinda like Jason Carter, IMHO. Sounds intersting, won't go predicting all-conference, though.

PLaw
6/24/2007, 09:06 PM

Who said anything about Venables' head? You need to lay off of the steriods for a while.

Point is that at some point, Bob will need to get more involved with D. It happens virtually every year, even when brother Mike was running the show.

Boomer
PLaw

goingoneight
6/25/2007, 12:44 AM
I don't recall hearing about Mike's defenses getting off to a rocky start in 2000-2003... and while you could say 1999, it was Stoops's first year, so 7-5 was a godsend from what happened the previous eight or nine years.

In fact, there were several Sooner greats year in and out calling OUr defenses the greatest Sooner defense EVAR from 2000-2003.

BV's got to get them off to a faster start and no one knows that better than him. I jst wish we'd return to that monster of a D we had from 00-03. Man, they were aggressive and smart. :eek:

snp
6/25/2007, 11:14 AM
Who said anything about Venables' head? You need to lay off of the steriods for a while.

It's happened the past couple years at the beginning of the season and it'll happen again if the D falters. This was a preemptive strike.

Point is that at some point, Bob will need to get more involved with D. It

Uh, so what's the point? We're lucky to have a hands on coach like Stoops instead of a delegator of authority like Mack or Bowden?

vvv Exactly.

The_Red_Patriot
6/25/2007, 11:22 AM
The fact is the players have to execute.