PDA

View Full Version : 9 firefighters killed in S.C. furniture store blaze

colleyvillesooner
6/19/2007, 11:40 AM
Couldn't get search to work, sorry if posted before...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19301684/?GT1=10056

CHARLESTON, S.C. - Fire swept through a furniture warehouse, collapsing the building’s roof and claiming the lives of nine firefighters in a disaster the mayor described Tuesday as “difficult to fathom or quantify.”

“Nine brave, heroic, courageous firefighters of the city of Charleston have perished fighting fire in a most courageous and fearless manner, carrying out their duties,” Charleston Mayor Joseph P. Riley said at a morning news conference. “To all of their loved ones, our heart goes out to them.”

Two employees in the building were rescued from the blaze, which broke out at about 7 p.m. Monday in the Sofa Super Store and warehouse, Riley said.

Overnight, firefighters saluted as the bodies of their colleagues were taken from the warehouse.

“To lose nine is just a tragedy of immense proportions,” Riley said. “To lose nine is just unbelievable.”

Cause under investigation
Riley said the county coroner planned to disclose the names of the dead. The cause of the fire was under investigation, but Riley said arson was not suspected.

The warehouse was packed with furniture and the blaze “rolled through it like a fireball” while the firefighters were trying to put it out overnight, said Pam Blevins, secretary to the Charleston City fire chief, Russell Thomas.

“All we know is nine firefighters, all at once ...” Blevins told Reuters by telephone, choking up with emotion. “The building collapsed on them.”

Witnesses said the store’s roof collapsed, throwing debris over about two-dozen rescue workers. Onlookers were hit with flying ash.

“It was like a 30-foot tornado of flames,” said Mark Hilton, who was struck in his eye.

Daniel Shahid, a salesman at a nearby car dealership, said firefighters came in asking for towels.

“The next thing you know, we were carrying hoses, directing traffic, everybody from the dealership,” he said.

Shahid said he saw firefighters rescue four people from the building. “They were struggling. They were covered in black soot. They looked scared out of their minds,” Shahid said.

Riley called the missing firefighters heroes.

“This is a profession that we must never take for granted,” the mayor said. “There’s a fire raging and they go toward it.”

yermom
6/19/2007, 11:58 AM
i'll always have a place in my heart for firefighters after 9-11, and this is just awful :(

Tulsa_Fireman
6/19/2007, 03:55 PM
God bless, Charleston.

HOWEVER...

There's a reason why they died. And it's not because they're heroes and that's what heroes do. As a mentor of mine has said, a hero is a sandwich. Let us just hope Charleston doesn't glorify their death, but instead, glorifies their lives doing what it was they loved to do as well as taking this tragedy as a lesson that all of us in the fire service can learn from.

Not taking advantage of the fact that they're dead, but taking advantage in finding out why and changing what needs to be changed socially, administratively, municipally, and tactically so that when (not if) this happens again, it won't be for the reasons my brothers in Charleston are now gone.

soonerboomer93
6/19/2007, 07:04 PM
I hope they really do change and learn from this. I'll have to call my father and ask him about it this weekend. It's never good to lose a firefighter, but to lose 9 is really bad...

Tailwind
6/19/2007, 07:57 PM
My heart goes out to the families and friends of the fallen firefighters. God bless 'em.