PDA

View Full Version : Talapia

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 01:33 PM
Where the hell did talapia come from? Is this some new species of fish, purpose-bred in a lab or something? Two years ago, nobody had ever heard of it. Now it's talapia, talapia, talapia, talapia everywhere you go.

yermom
6/18/2007, 01:33 PM
it's like chipotle and ciabatta ;)

Boarder
6/18/2007, 01:34 PM
Why do you hate tilapia?

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 01:36 PM
Why do you hate tilapia?

I don't hate it, I'm just...suspicious.

TALAPIA IS PEOPLE! IT'S PEOPLE!

yermom
6/18/2007, 01:38 PM
at first i was thinking it was dolphin, but i think that is mahi mahi

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 01:46 PM
at first i was thinking it was dolphin, but i think that is mahi mahi

Mahi mahi is a fancy-shcmancy name for tuna, I think.

On a food-related topic, what's the deal with referring to beef, poultry, fish, etc. as "proteins" now? I gather that's chefspeak, but it seems to be making it's way into the general population--no doubt popluarized by cooking shows and the Food Network. It's MEAT, dammit! Quit making up new names for stuff that already has a name.

yermom
6/18/2007, 01:47 PM
i'm thinking it has more to do with all that carb counting crap

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 01:59 PM
i'm thinking it has more to do with all that carb counting crap

Oh, I see. I guess if you're lumping in legumes and stuff it really is generic "protein"...but it's usually used when referring to just animal flesh, i.e. meat. Maybe it comes from the misguided idea that fish isn't "meat"?

Sorry, Mr. "I'm A Vegetarian Because I Only Eat Seafod", but seafood is meat. :rolleyes:

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/18/2007, 02:01 PM
Mahi-Mahi is dolphin.

Did you know that we have a poster named 'legumer'?

silverwheels
6/18/2007, 02:07 PM
Most restaurants load up the fish with so much sauce or seasonings that it's impossible to taste the fish, so I don't see how tilapia got so popular, since every menu I've seen it on has it drowned in some kind of over-powering sauce.

The best fish I've had outside of sushi was some kind of swordfish steak at a restaurant in Texas. They didn't put anything on it, only a sauce for dipping. I didn't even need the sauce; it was great.

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 02:09 PM
Mahi-Mahi is dolphin.

The mystery is solved...it's dolphin fish, not dolphin mammal (i.e. Flipper).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_fish

Where the hell is Shamu when you need him?

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/18/2007, 02:12 PM
Kinda like catfish and catmammal.

Hamhock
6/18/2007, 02:15 PM
Kinda like catfish and catmammal.

heh.

bobcatfish

springs sooner
6/18/2007, 02:29 PM
uuummmm Mahi-Mahi grilled with some pineapple is gooood

Partial Qualifier
6/18/2007, 02:30 PM
I see yer tilapia and raise you two chilean sea bass!

crawfish
6/18/2007, 02:36 PM
Where can one find good manatee?

Mjcpr
6/18/2007, 02:37 PM
Where can one find good man?

Booty says all the good ones are taken.

Sorry.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/18/2007, 02:39 PM
He's gonna peench you.

OUDoc
6/18/2007, 02:56 PM
I see yer tilapia and raise you two chilean sea bass!
Are they ill-tempered?

OUinFLA
6/18/2007, 03:28 PM
Tilapia were imported into Florida over 30 years ago by the State Fisheries Department.

In the wild they are voracious plant eaters. Which brought to mind that Florida could use them to attempt to control such invasive plant species as hydrilla, water hyacinth, and several others.

They were to be sequestered in two fresh water impoundments near the SE of Tampa Bay while their effectivness at eleminating aquatic plants was studied.

Apparently, some selfish non-thinking individuals who had access to the two ponds decided to extract a few to release in their own individual ponds/favorite fishing holes to hasten the process of clearing out the unwanted growth.

They also discoverd that a whole bunch of birds also enjoyed snacking on the fry that Tilapia are quite effecient at producing The problem caused here is that a lot of those smaller fry while in the process of being airborn, went skydiving and fell into a lot of surrounding water bodies.

Now while the Tilapia was efficient at eating grasses, what they didnt realize was that moslty they wanted to eat enough grass to create a spawning bed and in the warm Florida waters, they could spawn on a nearly year-round basis. So, the expiriment did not turn out as expected. Lots of small "holes" appeared in the grass beds and "lots" of new Tilapia were hatched.

It has spread to the rest of the country from there. So, you can not only blame us for hanging chads, and GWB being elected for a second term, you can blame us for bringing this species of fish to the country as well.

On a positive note, it has created a new industry in the state. There are several hundred cracker-types who regularly take cast nets and seines and harvest several million pounds of Tilapia each year from the waterways. Once people figured out that they were fairly decent to eat, a market has developed for the critter. Down here the grocery stores are charging up to $9 a pound for their filets, and can't keep up with the demand.

The fish has led to indoor recirculating aquaculture production and processing facilities all over the country as other areas have discovered an edible fisheries resource that can be produced in captivity rather economically.

No matter where you are in the US, Im fairly certain there is a Tilapia growing and processing facility nearby. Or, some savy investor will figure out there should be. Farm/facility production of food fish is a thriving and growing industry.

Frozen Sooner
6/18/2007, 03:31 PM
Chilean Sea Bass is a marvel of marketing. Sounds much more appetizing than Antarctic Toothfish.

OUinFLA
6/18/2007, 03:33 PM
Oh, and originally from Africa. Notably, the Nile river. Hence it's other name is Nile Perch.

Pricetag
6/18/2007, 03:36 PM
They also discoverd that a whole bunch of birds also enjoyed snacking on the fry that Tilapia are quite effecient at producing The problem caused here is that a lot of those smaller fry while in the process of being airborn, went skydiving and fell into a lot of surrounding water bodies.

What the heck does "fry" mean in this context?

yermom
6/18/2007, 03:37 PM
i'm gonna go with "baby fish"

Frozen Sooner
6/18/2007, 03:38 PM
i'm gonna go with "baby fish"

Yep.

Turd_Ferguson
6/18/2007, 03:52 PM
Best fish I have ever eaten is Spanish Mackerel. Their like candy I tell you, CANDY!

Beef
6/18/2007, 03:52 PM
Mmmmm...baby fish fry.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/18/2007, 04:58 PM
Oh, and originally from Africa. Notably, the Nile river. Hence it's other name is Nile Perch.The Tilapia not only eat plants, but will take fry of other fish, when possible. As I understand, they do a good jorb of evading largemouth bass, so are difficult to keep the populations down in the warm water fisheries here in the USA.

With all due respect, I don't think many people call them Nile Perch, as there is a fish unrelated to Tilapia which has that as its official name. The Nile Perch is related to Barramundi and Snook, and are one of the largest freshwater fish in the world. Bastages get to over 300lb., and thrive in the big lakes on the Nile River.

OUinFLA
6/18/2007, 05:45 PM
could be Rush, they used to be called Nile Perch down here in chad-land years ago. But for the past 10 years they are simply Tilapia.

Since you brought up Barramundi, look for that fish to progress around the country in the future.
The state licensed someone to raise them as food fish here in my county.
Turns out the fish grows to gargantuan proportions, is very good to eat and readly takes the same lures as bass.
Publix food chain has a contract with the grower to take all he can produce.

But, then, there's those pesky birds around to give them rides to other areas in the future.

fry is the industry description for newly hatched fish. It is also used to describe juvenile aged fish.

OUinFLA
6/18/2007, 05:49 PM
Best fish I have ever eaten is Spanish Mackerel. Their like candy I tell you, CANDY!

Right now there is the biggest run of Spanish Macks in Tampa Bay that I have ever experienced. They follow the bait, mostly threadfins, and the threadfin population is enormous this year in the bay.
People are catching Spanish Macks up to 33-34 inches by the boatloads.

Im taking my grandkids from Oklahoma out next week and I suspect we'll wear our arms out catching them.

Turd_Ferguson
6/18/2007, 05:58 PM
Right now there is the biggest run of Spanish Macks in Tampa Bay that I have ever experienced. They follow the bait, mostly threadfins, and the threadfin population is enormous this year in the bay.
People are catching Spanish Macks up to 33-34 inches by the boatloads.

Im taking my grandkids from Oklahoma out next week and I suspect we'll wear our arms out catching them.

Went deep sea fishing a little North of Myrtle Beach and caught about 20 of'em 16-18" long. FIL pan fried them skin and all, with butter & garlic. Un Freakin Believably good.

6/18/2007, 06:12 PM
could be Rush, they used to be called Nile Perch down here in chad-land years ago. But for the past 10 years they are simply Tilapia.

Since you brought up Barramundi, look for that fish to progress around the country in the future.
The state licensed someone to raise them as food fish here in my county.
Turns out the fish grows to gargantuan proportions, is very good to eat and readly takes the same lures as bass.
Publix food chain has a contract with the grower to take all he can produce.

I can understand how they got to be called "perch" in the USA, since we in the South have called bluegills and other sunfish by that name, and a tilapia, sort of resembles a bluegill, by its shape and size. (although, I think some species of tilapia get up to 4 or 5 lbs.)

I wish they would stock the heck out of the barramundi. Maybe they can catch the tilapia better than our native largemouths can. I guess the barras can live in pure freshwater, and don't need to migrate to the ocean? They are native to Australia and new Zealand. I think the world record barra is over 80 lbs.

6/18/2007, 06:15 PM
Went deep sea fishing a little North of Myrtle Beach and caught about 20 of'em 16-18" long. FIL pan fried them skin and all, with butter & garlic. Un Freakin Believably good.I really like to eat them, too. They are a very rich tasting fish, and great fun to catch on light tackle. Over here in the Gulf of California, we have a close relative called a Sierra Mackerel. Also are very tasty.

C&CDean
6/18/2007, 06:58 PM
Listen to the Florida boy thinking Tilapia started there.

Out in Arizona, way more than 30 years ago, the Game & Fish Department stocked some smaller lakes with tilapia. The first time I caught one I thought "what the hell is this thing?" and threw it back. Some old man said "boy, that's some African fish that's supposed to be real hearty and be able to handle this heat. They're supposed to be good eatin'." I said "I ain't eating nothing from Africa."

They didn't last in the smaller lakes - I think because of how hot/dry it is out there. The lakes would get very low, and the water temp would be in the 90s+.

Tilapia is good eating fish though. Blackened, broiled, grilled, however. It's good stuff. Eat it and quit your bitchin'.

OUinFLA
6/18/2007, 07:21 PM
Listen to the Florida boy thinking Tilapia started there.

Out in Arizona, way more than 30 years ago, the Game & Fish Department stocked some smaller lakes with tilapia. The first time I caught one I thought "what the hell is this thing?" and threw it back. Some old man said "boy, that's some African fish that's supposed to be real hearty and be able to handle this heat. They're supposed to be good eatin'." I said "I ain't eating nothing from Africa."

They didn't last in the smaller lakes - I think because of how hot/dry it is out there. The lakes would get very low, and the water temp would be in the 90s+.

Tilapia is good eating fish though. Blackened, broiled, grilled, however. It's good stuff. Eat it and quit your bitchin'.

pfffft Florida boy! heh

NAS Fact Sheet (http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=463)

The first record of this tilapia in Florida was that of 3,000 fish stocked in a series of phosphate pits for aquatic plant control experiments at the Pleasant Grove Research Station in Hillsborough County in August 1961

It has been established in Arizona since about 1975 (Courtenay and Hensley 1979a). This species (and perhaps a hybrid with O. niloticus) is established and locally common in various parts of the lower Colorado River in the southwestern part of the state (Grabowski et al. 1984; Courtenay et al. 1984, 1986). Specimens of this species or a possible hybrid were collected from Alamo Reservoir on the Bill Williams River in the Colorado River drainage, Mojave and Yuma counties, ca. 1968 (Grabowski et al. 1984, Courtenay et al. 1986); the likely source of Alamo Lake tilapia was a population stocked in Francis Creek in 1968 that later moved downstream during flood periods (Grabowski et al. 1984).

OUinFLA
6/18/2007, 07:23 PM
Actually we may be able to blame this one on the Awbarn guys.

From the same fact sheet:

This species (often identified as Tilapia nilotica) was stocked annually by the Alabama Department of Conservation and Auburn University in lakes and farm ponds in Alabama during the late 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s

Barners will probably claim a MNC over this one.

C&CDean
6/18/2007, 07:25 PM
Either way, they've been around for more than 30 years. Damn, it's hard to believe that 1977 is 30 years ago. This gettin' old **** is highly overrated.

Penguin
6/18/2007, 08:23 PM
My favorite fish is rainbow trout. Sautéed with lemon butter sauce and capers.

Mmmmmmm.......

AlbqSooner
6/18/2007, 08:29 PM
Filet Spanish Mackerel with the skin on. Place skin side down on a piece of aluminum foil. Cover with butter and lemon pepper. Broil it till it browns a bit.
Take a plate and put the filet skin side down. Lift one end by the skin and use your fork to slip the meat off onto your plate. Easy to fix and deeeeelicious. King Mackerel are also called Kingfish or "smokers" both because they have the size to cause your reel to smoke and because they are best when smoked. On old timer who lived by me in Florida told me that to smoke fish you should use a freshwater wood for freshwater fish and a saltwater wood for saltwater fish. Although it is illegal to cut mangrove, pick up a few sticks off the ground and use them to smoke either Kingfish or mullet. Both are very good eating.

6/18/2007, 08:33 PM
If ever I was to eat a totuava, it is said they are one of the best eating fish.

C&CDean
6/18/2007, 08:34 PM
The couple of times in my life that I've eaten mackerel it tasted like.....fish. Fishy fish. Which along with guts is the only two things on God's earth that I don't eat.

jk the sooner fan
6/18/2007, 08:47 PM
no chitlins for you dean?

C&CDean
6/18/2007, 09:11 PM
no chitlins for you dean?

Oh I've had them many times. I can eat them if they're fried real crispy, but I just don't get the point. Guts are what you eat when you're starving to death and all the rest of the cow/hog/goat/sheep/monkey/horse or whatever is already ate up. My momma used to fry up calf brains with eggs. Sometimes hog brains too. Why?

One thing that is pretty tasty though is trepas de leche. Milk tripe. You gotta have some tequila under your belt though. Fried up crispy, and when you cut them some milk runs out in your plate. Good drunkytown grub.

jk the sooner fan
6/18/2007, 09:14 PM
hmm, i'll pass! :)

years ago at fort hood, we celebrated MLK day and the blacks in the office put together an ethnic lunch.....the old lady back in admin was begging me to try the chitlins

just couldnt do it

OUinFLA
6/18/2007, 09:14 PM
...On old timer who lived by me in Florida told me that to smoke fish you should use a freshwater wood for freshwater fish and a saltwater wood for saltwater fish. Although it is illegal to cut mangrove, pick up a few sticks off the ground and use them to smoke either Kingfish or mullet. Both are very good eating.

I have never heard that. I will pass it along to a friend of mine who smokes King Macks. Thanks.

OUinFLA
6/18/2007, 09:16 PM
. My momma used to fry up calf brains with eggs. Sometimes hog brains too. Why?

Why do you think you turned out so smart?

OUTromBoNado
6/19/2007, 03:12 AM
My momma used to fry up calf brains with eggs. Sometimes hog brains too. Why?

I hear these guys like brains.
http://www.shakingthrough.net/images/clemenza/movies/dawn_of_the_dead_still.jpg

OUDoc
6/19/2007, 07:41 AM
I have never heard that. I will pass it along to a friend of mine who smokes King Macks. Thanks.
I thought that was Chris Simms........oh, that was Coach Mack's. Sorry.

Petro-Sooner
6/19/2007, 01:56 PM
What is chitlans and what is tripe? I've heard of it but never bothered to ask what it was.

Hamhock
6/19/2007, 01:57 PM
What is chitlans and what is tripe? I've heard of it but never bothered to ask what it was.

the pitch is a slow, hanging curveball...

6/19/2007, 05:10 PM
What is chitlans and what is tripe? I've heard of it but never bothered to ask what it was.Chitlins is tilapia barf, and tripe is spicy intestine....YUM!