PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Basketball

william_brasky
6/18/2007, 08:05 AM
I'm a Sooner, and I play pick-up basketball from time to time.

What other jokers up in here do, and what would the scouting report on you say?

The book on william_brasky:
- good stand still shooter, make him dribble and move
- good rebounder when he has position, make him move to blockout and jump
- good halfcourt defender for a step or two, make him chase you around the court
- good passer when noone's in his face, pressure him
- excellent free throw shooter until winded, wait until late in the game to foul

birddog
6/18/2007, 09:27 AM
-at 5'9, a liability on offense and defense.
-a tireless worker on the bench.
-likes to foul hard when at mid-court.
-screams out ontjes when taking it to the rack.

the_ouskull
6/18/2007, 11:29 AM
Heh... I'll try it. It's just kinda ironic, 'cause I sat around with a group of 3 or 4 dudes doing this exact same thing after we played ball yesterday afternoon.

Physically:
- 6'0", (currently) 205 pounds. Not very muscular, but fairly strong. Bad knees, bad back, bad ankle; but stubborn enough so that you wouldn't know it. Dresses like Woody Harrelson from White Men Can't Jump when he's on the court, minus the hat. He also sweats like Patrick Ewing, and swears like Bill Cosby thought Eddie Murphy did.

Offensively:

- First things first, do NOT leave him open behind the arc. He's a spot up shooter, either off of the dribble as a snap shot, or as a set shot, ESPECIALLY coming off of screens or as a spot shot. As soon as the ball crosses halfcourt, find him.
- When he catches the ball on the perimeter, run out on him, and if possible, also force him right. (I'm right-handed, but I can get lower driving to my left...)
- Play solid, fundamental defense. He'll pull a lot of passes out of his magic anus, many of them within reach of his primary defender (man-to-man) and, if you keep your hands up and your palms out, you'll take away most of those passing lanes. If you don't, he's going to set his teammates up (well) first, and take his own offense second.
- If he hits more than 2 or 3 shots in a row, start playing ball-denial defense.
- He shoots better as the game progresses, so don't get lazy.
- He doesn't attack well versus a zone.
- Sees the game very well, and can usually immediately recognize both his teammates strength's and his opponents weaknesses, and will attack the defense accordingly.
-- And, as much as I hate admitting this... If I get hot, it can get ugly, but if I go cold, I go ALL THE WAY cold. I'm talking like a two or three week slump. I'm just now coming out of one, in fact. I'm pretty streaky unless I'm wide-open; or at least have time.

Defensively:

- He is going to be in your face the entire game. This is a negative, for obvious reasons, and a positive. You're not going to shoot an open jumper inside 22', but most guards are going to be able to get to the corner on him. If you don't play aggressively, he'll wear you out, but if you do, you should be able to get off relatively open mid/short range jumpers.
- Really good hands. Don't take 2 on 1, or 3 on 1 breaks lightly. (I LIVE to break up 2 or 3 on 1's... well, as least as far as fast breaks go... wink.) Also, you need to protect the ball on the way to the basket. He strips the ball really well on drives once the offensive player has committed to going to the rack.
- Not a good rebounder, but very good at (this is going to sound soooo gay...) keeping balls alive.
- Persistant, sometimes to the point of not knowing when a game is over. (Running back to break up a fast break when we're down 13-2 in a game to 15 and stuff like that...)
- Sees the game very well and is an excellent help and position defender. You're going to find a Texas Lineman in the diet line at Furr's more often than you'll find him out of position.

I'm not playing competitive ball right now, well, other than leagues and stuff, so I'm not including things like free throw shooting. I'm including pick up game stuff...

Anyway, I think that those are fair... Most of them are from the guys I play with 20ish hours a week anyway. I hate when they're calling me out, outloud ("run out there on him, make him put the ball on the floor and go to the basket") but I do the same thing to them too. :D God, now I want to go play and work on my "areas of opportunity,"

Anybody that answers on this thread that plays on a regular basis, feel free to PM me your info, especially if you're in the Norman area, 'cause I'm always looking for a game when I'm up there. I'm currently living in Duncan, but I'll be back up in the Norman area a lot this summer. God, I love basketball.

the_ouskull

stoops the eternal pimp
6/18/2007, 02:39 PM
I think the Cavs could use you Skull

OKC-SLC
6/18/2007, 09:19 PM
OKC-SLC:

-6'0", 190
-plays down low like he's 6'2" 190
-runs the floor like he's 5'6" 255
-make him use his left hand and good things will happen
-tough rebounder, decent defender, gets good position
-not good with the ball outside--pressure will often create an opportunity for turnover

stoops the eternal pimp
6/18/2007, 09:44 PM
STEP- 6'4 230-former 3 spot player at EOSC and NSU

-torn acl so cant guard any offensive threat. has too give too much room to a shooter so you better put him on the guy out there taken up space. Wing span of 6'7 so at least he has long arms to go with those no legs.
-can still rebound strong even against much taller players. Was trained in rebounding by Dennis Rodman(ok spent 5 days working with him while in high school) so knows hows to go after the ball. Led EOSC in rebounding...12 years ago.

offensive side

-can shoot from anywhere...I take that back..THINKS he can shoot from anywhere. He has good days and bad days just like everybody else.
-can play all 5 spots. He doesnt have any shake and bake left but he can bring the ball up and handle it in any situation.
-cant play well vs taller players..no ACL No jumpy. Needs screens and has to be set up for shot.
-former ballhog could care less if he scores. Scored 43 points in a church league game a month or so ago and followed it up with a 5 pt. 14 reb. 12 assist game the next week. Feels he has nothing to prove.

Ash
6/18/2007, 09:53 PM
5' 11", 220 (obviously not in basketball shape anymore)

- can shoot with either hand, good thing he doesn't have range

- unlike most good bball players, has a mid-range game but easy to stifle down low -- let him shoot if he steps outside 3 pt. range

- lefty, but more comfortable with the righty dribble - if he had a crossover he might be dangerous

- quick step and fast down the court, but the regimen of beer and BBQ have caught up to him -- just wait a while and he'll slow down

- good passer, can hit behind the back passes, etc. (most of the time) - pressure D can keep it under control

- decent defender but tends to be too aggressive, he'll foul out if he plays long enough (and fouls are called) -- on the flipside, don't play me if you're a *****, because I'm going to D up. period.

william_brasky
6/18/2007, 11:14 PM
here's a move I recently implemented into my post game: The Jack Sikma Move (http://www.cleveland.com/nba/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1169371845266510.xml&coll=2)

OUSKINS
6/19/2007, 08:07 AM
6'0, about 250. A tad heavier than in my Huffman days in Norman :)

--Great shooter from all distances. Especially deadly from 4 feet and in.
--Incredibly slow, both defensively and off the dribble. If you get within three feet of me on either end of the floor, I'm probably toast.
--Not a rebounder. Takes way too much effort.
--Not a passer. Once I get the ball, it's going up. Guaranteed.
--One thing I do like to do is run around the entire offensive set ala Reggie Miller. I find it annoys most defenders and they will usually sag off and give me open looks. Problem is, after two offensive trips, I say "forget this."
--I foul my man basically 100% of the time on drives to the hoop. After a while he gets sick of calling it and I get away with some nice hacks.
--I will argue every out of bounds call. If I miss an easy layup, I will call a follow-- even if it's a one on none breakaway.
--Possible the worst open court player in the history of the game. I get nervous if I have the ball all by myself on the break. I usually catch and shoot-- even if I'm at midcourt.

A few more:

--I am always the official "scorekeeper." Yeah, I'm THAT guy that blurts out the score after EVERY basket.
--My left hand might as well not even exsist. Totally dependent on my right. If I am alone in the gym, standing under the basket, it still might take me about three hours to make a left-handed layup.
--I will backpeddle and act cool after every made three. I will usually even croutch into a defensive stance and act like it ain't no thang-- after I call out the score of course.

the_ouskull
6/19/2007, 09:31 AM
I think the Cavs could use you Skull

Lol. Granted they needed SOMETHING, but I don't think that an out-of-shape, nearing middle-aged guy was their answer. I could compliment Lebron, sure, but complement him? I don't see it. :D

the_ouskull

King Crimson
6/19/2007, 12:21 PM

i think we've played some pick'up together inna day--in a couple different states across about 15-20 years. :D you prolly left one off:

--when i score, i exercise my stipulated, no exceptions free license to take the next 3-4 possessions off on D....in which my man go to the hoop (and score) completely unguarded.

Jeopardude
6/19/2007, 02:05 PM

--Great shooter from all distances. Especially deadly from 4 feet and in.
--Incredibly slow, both defensively and off the dribble. If you get within three feet of me on either end of the floor, I'm probably toast.
--Not a rebounder. Takes way too much effort.
--One thing I do like to do is run around the entire offensive set ala Reggie Miller. I find it annoys most defenders and they will usually sag off and give me open looks. Problem is, after two offensive trips, I say "forget this."
--I foul my man basically 100% of the time on drives to the hoop. After a while he gets sick of calling it and I get away with some nice hacks.
--I will argue every out of bounds call. If I miss an easy layup, I will call a follow-- even if it's a one on none breakaway.
--Possible the worst open court player in the history of the game. I get nervous if I have the ball all by myself on the break. I usually catch and shoot-- even if I'm at midcourt.

:D

This is me but add:

-- won't stop talking trash even after airballing three in a row and getting juked by a twelve year old.

Collier11
6/19/2007, 02:54 PM
6'2'' 210 but not overly long, can get off the floor quick but doesnt jump out of the gym, can make a dunk with no one standing in the way and if lucky.
good 3pt shot with unlimited range, very streaky though, often times can miss or make 5-6 three's in a row.
Quick shot, rarely gets shot blocked, has really good moves in the post but not a strong post player.
Shoots better 15ft out than in the post.

Defensively, average to above average at times, better side to side movement than straight forward speed.
Ok shot blocker, good rebounder, doesnt mind gaurding other teams best player, but that doesnt mean he stops them.

one on one, only average player but put with a team and overall basketball IQ, passing skills, unselfishness, and ability to hit big shot makes him a good to sometimes really good bballer. Best players will pick him to be on their team!

Collier11
6/19/2007, 02:55 PM
sh*t talking skills are nba level if provoked, otherwise usually keeps mouth shut. If provoked, can **** off the other teams best player without blinking! :)

Jeopardude
6/19/2007, 04:28 PM
Calling out Okienole to self-assess.

Collier11
6/19/2007, 04:49 PM
-former ballhog could care less if he scores. Scored 43 points in a church league game a month or so ago and followed it up with a 5 pt. 14 reb. 12 assist game the next week. Feels he has nothing to prove.

Then why you keeping stats in a church league game? ;)

stoopified
6/20/2007, 08:58 AM
Short,slow heavy,no jumping ability and virtually devoid of any skills whatsoever.Best attribute- bench-shining.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/21/2007, 01:12 AM
Then why you keeping stats in a church league game? ;)

my agent keeps them

oumartin
6/23/2007, 12:19 PM
White version of Lebron James! Nuff said

the_ouskull
6/23/2007, 01:21 PM
White version of Lebron James! Nuff said

So you're like, 50 years old and shoot from too far away from the basket?

the_ouskull

oumartin
6/23/2007, 02:50 PM
that would be it!
but my crossover would break your ankles.
maybe chip douglas (aka the cable guy) would be more accurate

101sooner
6/24/2007, 02:16 PM
My game is very similar to Michael Jordan's game.

We both dribble. We both Shoot. We both Jump. We both pass.

It's really kind of freaky when you watch me. Just last week, I scored 60 on my 5 year old and his buddy (indoor nurf ball league).