PDA

View Full Version : 1984

SteelClip49
6/17/2007, 07:18 PM
Interesting finish for OU obviously and the UF cheaters. Washington has some beef to. But the point is, how good was BYU? How would the go against other national chammpionship teams 1970-present? BYU wasn't a fluke in 84 because they continued to dominate up until 2000 under Edwards.

John Kochtoston
6/17/2007, 09:58 PM
Interesting finish for OU obviously and the UF cheaters. Washington has some beef to. But the point is, how good was BYU? How would the go against other national chammpionship teams 1970-present? BYU wasn't a fluke in 84 because they continued to dominate up until 2000 under Edwards.

Impossible to say, because BYU was never tested during the 1984 season. Their best wins were against 6-5 Michigan, 8-4 Air Force, 7-4 Hawai'i and 6-5 Tulsa. All of those wins, save Tulsa, were by a TD or less. Washington, in my admittedly biased view, would have been a much better choice (one loss in a very competitive Pac-10, beat No. 2/3 OU in the Orange Bowl), but came into the bowl game ranked too low for consideration (No. 6/7, IIRC) Florida was probably better than both of those teams, but was on probation and did not go to a bowl.

However, BYU was undefeated, and Washington and Florida were the only teams to finish with even one loss (everyone else had two or more). So, they were champs by default, even though most Top 10 teams that year would have peckerslapped them.

http://mattsarz44017.tripod.com/blog/index.blog?topic_id=1069138

soonerhubs
6/17/2007, 10:20 PM
I've had this discussion with my Father In Law over and over again. I then calmly explain to him that a one-handed sooner has more rings than a two handed Couger.

RiddlerOK
6/18/2007, 12:12 AM
What made 1984 such a difficult projection at the end of the year was that no clear-cut undefeated or one loss team (not on probation) emerged to challenge BYU in the ranking. My memories from that season's finish were that the title should been a choice between Washington and Florida. I didn't think BYU was that strong but, the fact that Florida was the only one loss team in the land on probation and they played a faily decent schedule that year, it pretty much sealed the deal for the voters to just give the Cougars the trophy. I think they would have given it to the Gators if they hadn't been on probation. Probably the most disappointing finish of the past 40 years in college football.

BTW, BYU might have not been a fluke in 1984 but I don't think they were one of the five strongest teams in the country that year either.

yermom
6/18/2007, 12:53 AM
wouldn't have happened like that with the BCS ;)

OUfan7
6/18/2007, 07:11 AM
Little hung up on that "continued to dominate" part. They had good teams over the years but I don't know if they were ever dominate (lack of strength of schedule, mainly). Just sayin'...

SteelClip49
6/18/2007, 09:11 AM
you have to admit though, they were no slouch under Edwards. They may not have been a strong power but they did produce some fine talent. They did get a Heisman 6 years later; last mid major program to receive that honor.

CobraKai
6/19/2007, 10:51 AM
I thought this post was going to be about that Van Halen album. Hot for Teacher was a great song...

yermom
6/19/2007, 11:27 AM
my first thought was George Orwell :O

CobraKai
6/19/2007, 11:38 AM
my first thought was George Orwell :O

Apparently you're way more learned than I. I'm more likely to think George Constanza. :)

CU Sooner
6/19/2007, 04:24 PM
Isn't that the same year that the King voted Fresno State #1 because they were undefeated?

Salt City Sooner
6/20/2007, 12:12 AM
Isn't that the same year that the King voted Fresno State #1 because they were undefeated?
That happened in '85. He basically did it to drive home the point about the "only undefeated team" logic that the voters had used the year before, & IIRC, he was the only coach not to vote OU #1.

6/20/2007, 06:52 AM

Wow! Really? He isn't "The King" without reason. Maybe we should pay more attention to this OSU love he's been dealing out recently.

CU Sooner
6/20/2007, 12:06 PM
All I was pointing out is how he made the pollsters look stupid for their rationale of voting BYU number one, I got the year wrong but not the intention.