PDA

View Full Version : My New Toy...OUCH...OOOF...@%!&**#@!

Rogue
6/17/2007, 09:19 AM
:D

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/cjrogue/cr.jpg

It's the Liquid Logic CR (Cross-River) 250. Sort of a "hybrid" kayak for river running and playboating. I don't know if it can do either one because I'm just learning. I do know that it can tip over, the operator can perform a wet-exit (by pulling the oh**** handle on the skirt cover) and bounce said operator through some pretty awful rocks and stuff.

I took 2 days of group lessons and went to one Tuesday night "roll clinic" at our local pool. Well I was hooked. Been wanting to do this for years. Rafted some in Idaho years back and I've done some pretty tame water in inflatable kayaks and sit-on-top ones. Last spring/summer hobbling around after foot surgery I decided that come hell and/or high water I was going to learn to kayak.

I got a little bonus from my 3 month stint in West Virginia, and having more $$ than good sense I got what they call in the motorcycle, new truck, and kayak selling business (at least I'm pretty sure they do and if they don't they should) "THE FEVER."

:hot:

So, I planned yesterday to go to NOC, an area outfitting and guide shop, to buy a boat and the gear I lack, get some lessons, and kick off my new hobby. Long story short, the lessons were all full this weekend due to some teeny-bopper shindig. Unfazed, I demo'd a couple of boats and found one that I can paddle for an hour without my feet falling asleep. I bought it, a helmet, a paddle, a spray skirt, some other gizmos that I couldn't live without and felt pretty proud of myself.

:texan:

Caught a shuttle up to the top of the river and jumped in, fairly confident in my river reading abilities and general knowledge of paddling. Met up with some folks who were taking some other "beginners" along and said I could go with them.:cool:

HO.

LEE.

CARP!

Long story short...I am now black and blue from mid-thighs down, my knee is the size of a grapefruit, and I am absolutely going to every Tuesday night roll clinic forever because I am living the consequences of not being able to roll today. FAIL.

I later caught a ride with a hip kid "Tyler" whose friends (junior olympic kayakers) had taken him up the same way. Sorta like how we teach new skiers...just go to the top and fail. And learning seems a lot like learning to ski...even the wipeouts are fun. And kayaking is much less forgiving than rafting. I still can't tell if it's more technical or more "feel" to learn this but I hope I figure it out soon. Lessons are in my future for sure.

This is either going to be a great new adventure and lots of fun or I'll drown face down on a river somewhere.

85Sooner
6/17/2007, 11:45 AM
Enjoy the hot tub is all I can say.

critical_phil
6/17/2007, 01:17 PM
let me know when you wanna meet at Ocoee.

Rogue
6/17/2007, 01:29 PM
Great, I will.

Right now I'd just hold you up and test your swift-water rescue skills.
The Ocoee is above my skill level for now. After I get a good roll, I'm up for pushing myself. Right now I at least want to be able to learn from my mistakes without swimming every time.

Suerreal
6/17/2007, 01:48 PM
I'm envious. Kayaking is something I've always wanted to do...

OUTromBoNado
6/17/2007, 06:33 PM
I went kayaking in the Lower Mountain Fork River below Broken Bow about 8 years ago when I was in Boy Scouts. Nothing real major, but going over the man-made dams for the trout streams was fun. I never could do an Eskimo roll though. I was pretty skinny back then and didn't have much lower body strength, so I think it was a leverage problem though. But boy, it sure was fun.

Besides practicing the wet exit, I always enjoyed rolling under on purpose and "calling for help" to get back upright. We always had races to see who could get there first.

OUWxGuesser
6/17/2007, 06:52 PM
Kayaking rocks. Here are our (myself and the wife) boats:
http://photos-388.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v79/80/59/9612126/n9612126_34058388_3043.jpg

My primary kayak is the one on the left... a Perception Carolina 14.5 (ft) boat. Pretty well rounded boat for running rivers, lakes, whatever.

The one on the right is a Dagger Approach 10 (ft). This is a pretty cool boat. It's built like a river running whitewater boat, but also has a dry hatch and a skeg to let it track straight in non white-water environments.

We took them yesterday to North Dakota's only natural whitewater river (class I-II wimpy stuff)... what a blast!

http://people.aero.und.edu/~kennedya/KAYAKING/PEMBINA_RIVER-061607/

This is how I roll (friends rented the tandem kayak):
http://photos-126.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v79/80/59/9612126/n9612126_34144660_1640.jpg

Aaron

Chuck Bao
6/17/2007, 06:59 PM
That's pretty cool. I think that it will pay off if you have time and desire to continue to pursue your hobby.

I've wanted to buy a single skull since competing as a member of the Shatin Rowing Club in Hong Kong. I think that Lake Texoma would be a good place to go rowing, if I ever decide to move back home.

AlbqSooner
6/17/2007, 07:06 PM
let me know when you wanna meet at Ocoee.
In the spring, the Taos Box is pretty heavy water as well.

Blue
6/17/2007, 10:20 PM
the Upper and Lower Gauley and New Rivers in West Virginia were fun. I went when it was low, but there were still some places I was screaming OH SHIIIT! Fun stuff.

Rogue
4/5/2008, 09:56 PM
Oh yeah!!!!

Got in another class at the pool at ETSU this time. Thursday night I finally rolled on my own a few times in a row. Far from a "bombproof" roll, but my confidence is growing and I'm looking forward to some trips on the water again. If I could get my feet to quit falling asleep in the damn thing! Happens in all 3 types I've spent any time in.

Rogue
9/1/2008, 08:18 PM
Update...only took a couple trips this summer cause I've been out of town a bunch. Today was awesome. A little rain after our drought made the rivers rise a bit so we did the lower Nolichucky. About 10 minutes from my house is a great playhole that some of the better boaters hang out in. I made it through "Big Rock" today. I'm 2 for 4 on that maneating widowmaking monster. Actually it's probably just a class II+ rapid with a reputation of making n00b carnage.

I'm not ready yet, CP, but one of these days man.

Now, y'all know I live in one of the prettiest places on earth, right?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/soonercody/100_2910.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/soonercody/NolichuckyLaborDay08.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/soonercody/100_2911.jpg

OUHOMER
9/1/2008, 08:24 PM
that looks like fun. Where do your store the beer on that thing?

StoopTroup
9/1/2008, 08:29 PM
Rogue...

I salute you....

I used to windsurf...

It's way to much trouble for me now.

Live your dream.

Chuck Bao
9/1/2008, 08:32 PM
I prefer rowing and if I someday by some miracle I get rich, the first thing I'm buying is a single skull.

But, I agree with OUHOMER, that looks like a hell of a lot of fun. And, I assume your lifevest has adequate pouches for beer.

Curly Bill
9/1/2008, 08:32 PM
I've almost bought a kayak two or three times after going kayaking once on the Mountain Fork River. Now you have me thinking about it again. :D

...but then I also want a new deer rifle too, so......

Rogue
9/1/2008, 08:34 PM
that looks like fun. Where do your store the beer on that thing?

Heh! At the takeout for me, I'm havin' a hard enough time as it is.
I do keep some H20 on board though.:cool:

Oh, the yellow tape and stickers on my paddle are so my rescuers can see it in the water after a wipeout if I lose it. At the suggestion of the first rescuer last year the day of our maiden voyage together. :D :D :D

I did manage to surf a few waves today, that's a blast and a little creepy to ge sitting still in the middle of some swift water. One of my swimming pool instructors that taught me to roll this spring was there at the bottom when I came blasting through Big Rock Rapid. It was sheer luck and my group thought for sure they were gonna see some carnage. Not this time.

Rogue
9/1/2008, 08:44 PM
OK, the true story about how I got into this.
After moving to Tennessee, I was looking for some pr0n and found this:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/soonercody/APES.jpg

Well, I HAD to check that out, didn't I?

Curly Bill
9/1/2008, 08:46 PM
Were you looking for ape prOn? :D

OUWxGuesser
9/1/2008, 11:09 PM
Nice... I picked up a LL Hoss for clearance late last summer which has seemed limited action due to a variety of reasons (home remodeling, injuries, low water levels, not living in TN). If I can get me knee to heal and find some cooperative indoor pools, I want to have a roll down by next spring.