PDA

View Full Version : What was the worst car you owned?

yermom
6/17/2007, 12:05 AM
'72 Buick Skylark

not really the model itself was the problem, it was just in bad shape when i got it as a hand-me-down. Adam Sandler wrote a song about this car.

honorable mentions are:

'87 Ford Taurus
'96 Honda Civic, mostly for the same reason as the Buick. less than 100k on it and it had still had a rough life, apparently

my '86 Jetta and '77 Silverado should probably be in there somewhere, but the positives outweighed the negatives too much

stoops the eternal pimp
6/17/2007, 12:07 AM
2001 dodge truck..had a v6 which was worthless and sucked more gas than the v8

SoonerInKCMO
6/17/2007, 11:43 AM
1980 Mercury Cougar. Got it used and it seemed to have had a rough life as well. Hard cornering or braking would kill the engine. Plenty of electrical problems. Smoked.

crawfish
6/17/2007, 11:55 AM
1990 Chrysler LeBaron. Piece o' crap.

royalfan5
6/17/2007, 12:01 PM
1992 Grand Prix. The Brakes lines cut once while I was driving, and the cruise, windows, AC, heat, and cassette deck didn't work most of the time owned it.

Frozen Sooner
6/17/2007, 12:05 PM
1990 Chrysler LeBaron. Piece o' crap.

Was it Jon Voight's?

I had an '89 LeBaron Convertible for a while. Never had a problem with it.

1986 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer. This was back before Chrysler bought AMC, so it didn't even meet Chrysler reliability standards.

Rogue
6/17/2007, 12:49 PM
1986 Chevy Celebrity.

Norman Sooner
6/17/2007, 02:08 PM
1995 Ford Probe- 2 engines, 3 transmissions. That thing sucked

SicEmBaylor
6/17/2007, 02:13 PM
'90 Dodge Ram

royalfan5
6/17/2007, 02:21 PM
1995 Ford Probe- 2 engines, 3 transmissions. That thing sucked
I've never known anyone to be happy with a Ford Probe.

SicEmBaylor
6/17/2007, 02:23 PM
I've never known anyone to be happy with a Ford Probe.
........or a backward probe for that matter!

ba boom boom

crawfish
6/17/2007, 02:28 PM
Was it Jon Voight's?

I had an '89 LeBaron Convertible for a while. Never had a problem with it.

1986 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer. This was back before Chrysler bought AMC, so it didn't even meet Chrysler reliability standards.

I wanted the GT convertible. I settled on the base model, and it spent waaay too much time in the shop.

To be honest, it might've been better than the '89 Accord we had, whose engine spontaneously caught fire and totaled the car in my work parking lot. (Didn't have a lick of problems with the car before then.)

BajaOklahoma
6/17/2007, 03:39 PM
Worst vehicle ever - the turquoise Corvair my dad gave me to drive my sophomore year at OU. That POS had a problem every single time I drove it - flat tires, dead battery, etc. The mailman for our apt complex helped me change a tire one day. The last time I drove it, I was heading north on 35, just got to the firing range hill and the POS had a belt in the engine break, which meant I barely made it to the side of the road before it died. I refused to drive it again - and I know my dad hated me or he wouldn't have given me that POS.

I had an '89 Probe GT - one of the first ones off the assembly line (Mr. Baja worked for the second largest group of Ford dealers at the time, so we always got the newest models fast). I loved that car. Good mileage, great handling, fun to drive - and I had three young kids at the time. I never had a problem with it and I really hated to turn it in.

yermom
6/17/2007, 03:42 PM
unsafe at any speed

your dad did hate you :D

SleestakSooner
6/17/2007, 03:54 PM
I almost owned a yellow POS Gremlin that my dad (who really did hate me) tried to give me. I told him no thanks and bought the Cougar instead. But later on I made the biggest mistake of all my car buying mistakes when I purchased a Renault Alliance on credit. How I let that ****ing salesman talk me into that one I still don't know!

Flagstaffsooner
6/17/2007, 04:35 PM
Where are all the Yugo owners?

Jerk
6/17/2007, 04:50 PM
Ford Sterling .. I didn't own it but I did have to drive it

http://www.truckweb.ca/images/Ford/sterling.jpg

BajaOklahoma
6/17/2007, 05:00 PM
unsafe at any speed

your dad did hate you :D

Only unsafe if it moved first!
After I refused to drive it anymore, my dad's second wife loaned it to her b-i-l - who somehow managed to roll it into a ditch. The center of gravity for that car was two inches off the ground - I never did figure out how he managed to roll it (even drunk, as I am sure he was at the time).

1stTimeCaller
6/17/2007, 05:10 PM
I had an '89 Probe GT - one of the first ones off the assembly line (Mr. Baja worked for the second largest group of Ford dealers at the time, so we always got the newest models fast). I loved that car. Good mileage, great handling, fun to drive - and I had three young kids at the time. I never had a problem with it and I really hated to turn it in.

My dad had a red one with gray interior. It was awesome.

SoonerInKCMO
6/17/2007, 05:32 PM
Where are all the Yugo owners?

My parents had a used Yugo back in the day. Sadly, it was better than the Cougar.

soonerboomer93
6/17/2007, 07:44 PM
86 ford mustang
only had the 4 banger in it
transmission went out, blew the head gasket, (water pump failed and then my friend did a **** job of putting a new one in)

KsSooner
6/17/2007, 07:57 PM
My parents had a '72 Vega station wagon. My Mom tried to open the passenger door and the whole thing came off in her hand. She was the 'Bionic Mom' after that.

It was like riding in a tin can...

Sooner24
6/17/2007, 09:37 PM
1972 Plymouth Barracuda

OUDoc
6/17/2007, 09:48 PM
I've had:
'84 Pontiac Fiero
'90 Pontiac Sunfire convertible (don't ask)
'93 Chevy Blazer 2WD
'97 Chevy Blazer 4WD
'99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'04 Pontiac GTO
All were reliable, although the Fiero was the worst of the group. A/C problems, recalled engine, slower than sh!t, but it always started for me.

slickdawg
6/17/2007, 09:52 PM
My Dad had a 76 AMC Pacer - total POS.

81 Olds Omega - worst car ever made

royalfan5
6/17/2007, 09:58 PM
I've had:
'84 Pontiac Fiero
'90 Pontiac Sunfire convertible (don't ask)
'93 Chevy Blazer 2WD
'97 Chevy Blazer 4WD
'99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'04 Pontiac GTO
All were reliable, although the Fiero was the worst of the group. A/C problems, recalled engine, slower than sh!t, but it always started for me.
At least you were one of the ones that didn't have their Fiero burst into flames.

Soonerus
6/17/2007, 10:10 PM
probably a Chevy Caprice, what a mistake although it ran pretty good...

Blue
6/17/2007, 10:14 PM
2 Pathfinders, a Maxima, a Land rover, and a Tahoe. I guess the Land Rover was a pain to upkeep...;)

OUDoc
6/18/2007, 08:19 AM
At least you were one of the ones that didn't have their Fiero burst into flames.
Yup, that was the engine recall. No, I haven't burst into flames....yet.

olevetonahill
6/18/2007, 08:23 AM
I never had a car or truck that I didnt want ;)

dolemitesooner
6/18/2007, 08:26 AM
Not going to talk about it

TopDaugIn2000
6/18/2007, 08:31 AM
1996 Pontiac Firebird. Bought it new when I turned 16, total POS.

Frozen Sooner
6/18/2007, 11:33 AM
Yup, that was the engine recall. No, I haven't burst into flames....yet.

I don't know. Considering you owned a Sunfire convertible, I'd say you were pretty flaming...

;)

OUDoc
6/18/2007, 11:59 AM
I don't know. Considering you owned a Sunfire convertible, I'd say you were pretty flaming...

;)
Only a real man would admit he had such an automobile. ;)

Long story, Mom and Dad gave it to their son when he graduated college. He didn't want this car. He tried to turn it down, they felt proud he would make such a gesture and they insisted he keep it. He kept it for a few years and sold it. The end.

Pricetag
6/18/2007, 01:15 PM

;)
Heh, I love how he said don't ask about that one after already admitting that he owned a Fiero. Total chick car.

royalfan5
6/18/2007, 01:18 PM

;)
Pretty strong words from someone who owned a Lebaron Convertible.

Frozen Sooner
6/18/2007, 01:24 PM
Pretty strong words from someone who owned a Lebaron Convertible.

Good point.

Boarder
6/18/2007, 01:27 PM
'80 LeMans. At least it was a 2 door. My dad traded a guy a radar detector for it. I could drive from Purcell to the Lindsey Street exit with the AC on before it overheated. The headliner was coming apart and was held up with about 1 hundred thumbtacks. Vinyl seats. AM/FM stereo with one speaker (I guess it was mono, actually).

Some dude bought it and made a drag car out of it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/18/2007, 01:30 PM
My dad traded a guy a radar detector for it.

I'm sorry...what? Detals on this part, please. I sense some hillbilly awesome.

Boarder
6/18/2007, 01:33 PM
Pretty straight forward. The guy wanted a radar detector dad had but didn't have any money. He had just bought a new '88 Chevy pickup that was stripped but had a 350 and a 5 speed. That thing would fly.

He said he'd trade the car for it. It was in fair shape and dad was about to take a body shop class at the Vo-Tech so got it as a project car.

I'm pretty sure the aforementioned previous owner liked to puff the doobage.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/18/2007, 01:40 PM
Mine was a Cutlass. 1983. Black and slick. I loved that car...until I started driving it regularly.

But what I failed to realize when I bought it was that it used to be a diesel. They converted it. And after they converted it they put a 355 Rocket tranny in it with that teeny motor.

I couldn't keep hoses or gaskets on the stupid thing. Blew 'em off weekly, almost. I kept spare radiator hoses in my trunk. I learned how to change a thermostat in about 4 minutes. I learned how to get a radiator cap off without burning my face off. I learned that StopLeak is a bunch crap.

Man, that car was a turd.

Soonrboy
6/18/2007, 01:41 PM
I had an 84 mercury lynx. It was baby **** brown, and had a dark brown design on both sides that resembled a shpinx..I don't know why.
No air conditioning, then no heater. had no money in college to replace the heating coil. Had to park it facing downhill and pop the clutch.

Man, I loved that car. :)

Okieflyer
6/18/2007, 01:41 PM
1975 Chevy Monza

What a piece of &*%$%$*&!!! :mad:

Mjcpr
6/18/2007, 01:56 PM
I thought it was widely understood that the Vega was the worst car ever made?

TMcGee86
6/18/2007, 02:06 PM
I never owned this car, luckily, but I did have to drive a Dodge Neon for about a month once when my car was in the shop after a wreck.

Worst. Car. Evar.

Horrible seats, horrible power, handled like crap, ugly, and you couldn't see out of it, the back seats are like a foot higher than the front so you could barely see out the rear, which in a small car is just ridiculous.

Man I hated that car.

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 02:16 PM
I've only owned two cars, a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Civic. By default I guess the Corolla is the "worst", because I like the Civic better. But I never had real problems with either one.

frankensooner
6/18/2007, 02:21 PM
The 1992 Olds Achieva. The quad four engine was recalled and they gave me a diahaitsu charade to drive for a couple of months while the Olds was in the shop. Both cars were the worst peices of crap I have ever driven.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/18/2007, 02:23 PM
I don't know why...but hearing stories about POS cars makes me giggle.

royalfan5
6/18/2007, 02:28 PM
The 1992 Olds Achieva. The quad four engine was recalled and they gave me a diahaitsu charade to drive for a couple of months while the Olds was in the shop. Both cars were the worst peices of crap I have ever driven.
The Quad 4 might have been the worst engine ever developed.

CUinNC
6/18/2007, 02:28 PM
MGB's - had 2 of 'em....guess it was a love/hate thing, but they brought on the chicks......

Howzit
6/18/2007, 02:29 PM
When I was in the Army I bought some old Fiat clunker for about $300. I don't remember the year, don't remember the model. What I do remember is that it was so badly rusting out that I had a real concern that the floor of the car would fall out onto the road while I was driving it.

6/18/2007, 02:33 PM
I bought a piece of crap ’84 Pontiac Fiero from some punk who said he was trying to put his way through medical school. Slower than sh!t and had no A/C. But it always started for me.

OUDoc
6/18/2007, 02:43 PM
I bought a piece of crap ’84 Pontiac Fiero from some punk who said he was trying to put his way through medical school. Slower than sh!t and had no A/C. But it always started for me.
I'll bet the women were all over you.

TUSooner
6/18/2007, 04:18 PM
'85 Talapia

......nuthin.....

SicEmBaylor
6/18/2007, 04:23 PM
I'll bet the women were all over you.
Well, were they when you sold it to him?

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 04:26 PM
New Beetle...110% chick car. What was I thinking??

Yep.

SicEmBaylor
6/18/2007, 04:28 PM
Yep.
The car doesn't make the man. The man makes the car.:texan:

NormanPride
6/18/2007, 04:28 PM
87' Caddy Fleetwood. Powder Blue and rust, with no A/C and an accelerator that stuck frequently. The shocks were gone, so it felt like I was driving a boat through high tide all the time, and the hoses to the wiper fluid were all clogged so I could never get any fluid to rinse the windshield. Oak pollen season sucked hard.

royalfan5
6/18/2007, 04:29 PM
The car doesn't make the man. The man makes the car.:texan:
Of course sometimes the car makes statements about the man that the man may not want the car to be saying.

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 04:35 PM
The car doesn't make the man.

If the car has a built-in flower vase it does. And what it makes the man is gay.

The only reason a straight man should be driving around with flowers in his car is because he's delivering them to his wife/girlfriend with the expectation of hawt sex for in return for his thoughtfulness. You can try to fool yourself by calling it a pencil holder or something, but that won't change the fact that you're the only male in North America that owns a New Beetle. The only male without a "Key West Is For Lovers" bumper sticker, that is.

yermom
6/18/2007, 04:37 PM
the Beetle is the least of SicEm's problems :D

i'd take a new Beetle over a Sunfire any day

SteelClip49
6/18/2007, 04:50 PM
Little Tikes red and yellow car that required movement of feet to move. Used many band aids in my time.

Turd_Ferguson
6/18/2007, 04:52 PM
1996 Ford Exploder=HOS

SicEmBaylor
6/18/2007, 05:00 PM
What I really want is a Crossfire.

yermom
6/18/2007, 05:01 PM
i can't help you there, i hate those things

SicEmBaylor
6/18/2007, 05:03 PM
i can't help you there, i hate those things
Supposedly the convertible version comes with a built-in humidor, but I hate convertibles and for the life of me I'm not sure how a built-in humidor would work. The heat and humidity fluctuations in a car are so great that it would destroy the cigars, and I don't know how they'd prevent that.

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 05:39 PM
Supposedly the convertible version comes with a built-in humidor

Good lord, that's worse than a flower vase.

The heat and humidity fluctuations in a car are so great that it would destroy the cigars, and I don't know how they'd prevent that.

Isn't the point of a humidor to control the heat and humidity fluctuations?

TUSooner
6/18/2007, 06:33 PM
Tie between 2 Fiat 124 Spiders. On one, I heard a rubbing, grating sound, so I opened the hood to find that the battery had fallen through the rusted frame and was resting on the tire. I stuck a piece of 1x2 under it and kept driving. That car made so much noise - mostly clanking - that the radio was usless. The other blew a head gasket in the first week, then I coudn't find a distributor rotor that would work without being "customized" with pliers and a hammer. The first one was a chick magnet though! (as if I needed one :rolleyes: ) Good times!

mdklatt
6/18/2007, 06:39 PM
Tie between 2 Fiat 124 Spiders. On one, I heard a rubbing, grating sound, so I opened the hood to find that the battery had fallen through the rusted frame and was resting on the tire. I stuck a piece of 1x2 under it and kept driving. That car made so much noise - mostly clanking - that the radio was usless. The other blew a head gasket in the first week, then I coudn't find a distributor rotor that would work without being "customized" with pliers and a hammer. The first one was a chick magnet though! (as if I needed one :rolleyes: ) Good times!

If it was made in Italy and you can't eat it or wear it, you probably don't want it.

It's like the old joke:

It's every European's dream to have an a British banker, a German mechanic, a French cook, and an Italian lover. It's every European's nightmare to have a British cook, a German lover, a French banker, and an Italian mechanic. :D

SicEmBaylor
6/18/2007, 06:40 PM
Good lord, that's worse than a flower vase.

Isn't the point of a humidor to control the heat and humidity fluctuations?

Yeah, but we're talking about small fluctuations that occur in a normal room setting not the huge fluctuations that occur inside a car.

C&CDean
6/18/2007, 06:48 PM
I'm kinda like Olevet on this one. Being an auto mechanic by trade, I've never owned anything I didn't like - or couldn't at least fix.

The worst pickup I've ever owned was a 1975 Ford 4x4. Fuel pumps, water pumps, valve cover gaskets, brakes, always something needing to be fixed.

The worst car I ever owned - hand down - was a 1971 Saab. I don't remember the model, but the A/C compressor was on the back of the engine between the engine and the firewall. WTF? That was when I began my education on what massive POS European cars were. I began working on Mercedes, Audis, Volvos, Saabs, Fiats, Triumphs, MGs, and my favorite European POS, the Opel.

Best European car I've ever owned was a 1973 VW Thing. And it was still a POS.

C&CDean
6/18/2007, 06:50 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I'm renting a brandy-new Jeep Commander this week in Baltimore. Black cherry red. Leather. All the bells and whistles. And the worst driving, noisiest, road wandering, non-ergonomic, gutless, and butt ugly vehicle I've rented yet. Even worse than the Grand Cherokee. Jeep needs to just quit. Since the CJ-5, they haven't built a vehicle worth ****ting on.

Okieflyer
6/18/2007, 09:49 PM
1975 Chevy Monza

What a piece of &*%$%$*&!!! :mad:

I thought it was widely understood that the Vega was the worst car ever made?

Yup, almost the same car!:D

def_lazer_fc
6/18/2007, 10:27 PM
What I really want is a Crossfire.
if it came with the boardgame Crossfire, then i'd totally be in.

but my worst car was a blue 95 cavalier. ugh.

Shamrock
6/19/2007, 12:03 AM
Worst - 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe .... it did have good speed though.

Best - 1969 Porsche 911
(tie) - 1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Both fun as hell to drive. Instant date machines .....

SoonerBOI
7/17/2007, 11:55 PM
My 2001 Ferrari Spyder. I can only drive the damn car in my dreams.:)

StoopTroup
7/18/2007, 12:20 AM
1971 pinto...

goingoneight
7/18/2007, 01:12 AM
My old Mustang owned a Camaro once on a 1/4 mile... does that count? :D

soonerbrat
7/18/2007, 07:49 AM
1972 Chevy Vega. my stepdad got it for me when I was 16. It was loud and I hated it. it was brown with one orange fender. I never drove it. We ended up painting it and giving it to my younger stepsister.

OUHOMER
7/18/2007, 08:11 AM
I'm kinda like Olevet on this one. Being an auto mechanic by trade, I've never owned anything I didn't like - or couldn't at least fix.

The worst pickup I've ever owned was a 1975 Ford 4x4. Fuel pumps, water pumps, valve cover gaskets, brakes, always something needing to be fixed.

The worst car I ever owned - hand down - was a 1971 Saab. I don't remember the model, but the A/C compressor was on the back of the engine between the engine and the firewall. WTF? That was when I began my education on what massive POS European cars were. I began working on Mercedes, Audis, Volvos, Saabs, Fiats, Triumphs, MGs, and my favorite European POS, the Opel.

Best European car I've ever owned was a 1973 VW Thing. And it was still a POS.

My worst car was a 70 something opel cadet

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2007, 08:44 AM
I didn't own it, but my parents did and I used it. A 1978 Puke orange Pinto hatchback.

My parents worst car, a 1977 K-car station wagon that my Dad bought from the USDA.

I have only owned 2 cars in my life, a 1980 Toyota Corolla Liftback (owned 8 years) and a 1990 Honda Accord EX (still drive it - 250K miles baby).