PDA

View Full Version : Homey's going off the net tomorrow in the a.m.

Okla-homey
6/16/2007, 08:10 PM
...sadly, the angels are circling for Mrs. Homey's mama, a saint I might add.

She didn't do well during her quadruple by-pass and aortic valve replacement Monday (6/11). She has not regained consciousness and her kidneys are shutting down. She's also bleeding internally.

That said, we could use some more good thoughts from our Sooner bretheren and sisteren. Tomorrow (Sunday) my blonde daughter and I are heading to SC for what I believe will be a funeral and all the attendant stuff.

That said, Mama had a good long life at 78, raised four great and kind kids, one of which I was blessed to join my life with over 25 years ago. Mrs. Homey's Daddy died right before we got married in '82 so I expect Mama will be happy to see him in Paradise.

So, say a prayer &/or send good thoughts for Mrs Ophelia Delaine Tyler Corbett of Orangeburg County, SC. She is a True Southern Lady and child of Jesus. I love her as much as I love my own Mom.

I fear she's not long for this world. I expect when she gets to Heaven, she'll immediately start cooking for everyone. Lord knows, that woman could make a meal that would make you forget your troubles and revel in gustatory nirvana. She also loves her Braves baseball and had a satellite system installed just so she would never miss a game. To quote an old Scots-Irish blessing, "May she be in Heaven an hour before the Devil knows she's dead."

Finally, there isn't any innerweb at Mama's house. She still has a single rotary dial phone and that's it. That means there won't be any "Good Mornings" 'til I get back on or about a week from now. Y'all might wanna direct folks to this post in case people wonder wassup. I undertstand a few folks log-in in the mornings to read the silly "Good Morning" doofers.

I expect my brother TU Sooner or young jedi Soonerstormchaser may pick up the slack. They have my permission to use "Good Morning..."

"There’s a land that is fairer than day,
And by faith we can see it afar;
For the Father waits over the way
To prepare us a dwelling place there.

In the sweet by and by,
We shall meet on that beautiful shore;
In the sweet by and by,
We shall meet on that beautiful shore.

We shall sing on that beautiful shore
The melodious songs of the blessed;
And our spirits shall sorrow no more,
Not a sigh for the blessing of rest.

In the sweet by and by,
We shall meet on that beautiful shore;
In the sweet by and by,
We shall meet on that beautiful shore."

Scott D
6/16/2007, 08:12 PM
meh....never good to get news like this.

StoopTroup
6/16/2007, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear Homey.

Our thoughts are with you and your Family during this time.

Travel Safe and without anxiety...

God Bless

ST

BajaOklahoma
6/16/2007, 08:18 PM
Thoughts and prayers for all of you. It's very hard to see a beloved family member like this.

C&CDean
6/16/2007, 08:22 PM
Be safe, and God bless you, your lovely bride, and the whole Homey family. Update us when you can.

Turd_Ferguson
6/16/2007, 08:23 PM
Prayer's sent from me & mine.

Frozen Sooner
6/16/2007, 08:24 PM
Best wishes for the Homey clan.

Flagstaffsooner
6/16/2007, 08:37 PM
Blessing from the Mountain to the Homey's.

crawfish
6/16/2007, 08:41 PM
Thoughts and prayers. :(

Suerreal
6/16/2007, 08:41 PM
More prayers and good thoughts for the Homeys and Homeys-in-law.

Sooner24
6/16/2007, 08:48 PM
So sorry to hear that. I lost my MIL in 1991 and she sounds just like yours, minus the Braves. Godspeed to you and yours Homey.

olevetonahill
6/16/2007, 08:54 PM
One of the few post that have made My Eyes get a lil wet .
God Bless and God spead

Blue
6/16/2007, 09:22 PM
I know it's a common name in the south, but are you familiar with the Corbetts of Lowndes county in southern Georgia, homey? There's a ton of them.

SoonerStormchaser
6/16/2007, 09:31 PM
Hang in there sir...I'll try to fill in for you while you are on emergency leave.

bri
6/16/2007, 09:42 PM
My thoughts are with your family, Homey. :(

olevetonahill
6/16/2007, 09:44 PM
Lessin you say Ya dont think its right or sompun we be dedicatin tonights portion Of DT to her life

stoops the eternal pimp
6/16/2007, 09:59 PM
prayers for your family...

Jimminy Crimson
6/16/2007, 10:41 PM
Thoughts and prayers with the Homey gang. :(

Mjcpr
6/16/2007, 10:41 PM
I'll bet she hangs on for you and the blonde granddaughter to arrive.

I know it will be tough for everyone, especially the Mrs.....good luck with everything The Homey family.

BigRedJed
6/16/2007, 11:02 PM
Hang in there Homey. Best wishes.

pb4ou
6/16/2007, 11:03 PM
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family Homey. Be safe on the trip.

OCUDad
6/16/2007, 11:15 PM
Prayers and best wishes to all the Homeys.

ChickSoonerFan
6/17/2007, 12:06 AM
She sounds like a very special lady, love the way you described her and her arrival in heaven, ready to cook. Gotta love those southern women.

Be safe and sound, you will be missed here.

Tailwind
6/17/2007, 12:17 AM
Godspeed mama. Be safe Homey.

John Kochtoston
6/17/2007, 01:08 AM
Best wishes and prayers.

OKC-SLC
6/17/2007, 01:14 AM
best wishes and safe travels.

soonerboomer93
6/17/2007, 01:36 AM
sorry about the news, Best wishes for the Homey clan..

OUHOMER
6/17/2007, 07:15 AM
sorry to hear that, but prayers for your entire family

VeeJay
6/17/2007, 08:35 AM
God Bless her.

Be safe, Homey.

royalfan5
6/17/2007, 09:30 AM
best wishes

Howzit
6/17/2007, 09:39 AM
So sorry, Homey. Thoughts are with your family.

Rogue
6/17/2007, 09:50 AM
May your neighbors respect you,
Trouble neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And heaven accept you.
--Irish Blessing

Soonrboy
6/17/2007, 09:55 AM
losing a mama is tough, prayers for you and your family.

usmc-sooner
6/17/2007, 10:45 AM
sorry to hear Homey

SoonerGirl06
6/17/2007, 11:33 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with your mother-in-law, as well as the rest of your family during this very difficult time.

God Bless

85Sooner
6/17/2007, 11:43 AM
Be safe and prayers are on their way for your loved one. Stay Strong my man!

SleestakSooner
6/17/2007, 11:45 AM
Hopefully she is leaving her recipe book in good hands.

My prayers go out to you and your kin folk in this difficult time. May God guide her to his kitchens and may the devil never get one bite of her fine cooking!

Viking Kitten
6/17/2007, 01:52 PM
Sorry to hear this Homey. Give Miss D. a big ol' hug from me when you get a chance to read this. You married an awesome lady - sounds like she's her mother's girl.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/17/2007, 10:26 PM
Sorry to hear this. I'll keep you, Delaine and Blondie and the rest of the fam in my prayers.

jk the sooner fan
6/17/2007, 11:20 PM
prayers for your family during this tough time :(

TUSooner
6/18/2007, 06:01 AM
Wow. I just saw this on Monday morning, and I'm very sad to learn about it.
God bless all y'all, Homey!

Sooner in Tampa
6/18/2007, 06:16 AM
Homey...God Bless you in your travels. Prayers from the CSF clan to your yours!!

sooner_born_1960
6/18/2007, 07:23 AM
Prayers for your family.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/18/2007, 08:46 AM
:(

colleyvillesooner
6/18/2007, 08:59 AM
:(

OUDoc
6/18/2007, 09:03 AM
My best to your family, Homey.

Mjcpr
6/18/2007, 09:08 AM
Looks like she passed away yesterday. Sorry Mr and Mrs Homey. :(

Ophelia Corbett Wingard -- Neeses

Monday, June 18, 2007
Ophelia Corbett Wingard, 78, of Neeses, died Sunday, June 17, 2007.

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, June 19, at Neeses Baptist Church, with the Rev. Robert “Bob” Frederick and the Rev. Darrell Boyleston officiating. Burial will be in the Neeses Cemetery.

The casket will be placed in the church at 10 a.m.

Pallbearers will be grandsons and step-grandsons.

Mrs. Wingard was born in Orangeburg County, a daughter of the late Arthur and Matilda Brown Tyler. She was a member of Neeses Baptist Church, where she was a former member of the church choir. She was a former member of the Neeses Town Council and Fire Department.

Survivors include her husband.......(deleted)

She was first married to the late F. F. “Tally” Corbett. She was preceded in death by a son, Ronald M. Tyler.

The family will receive friends from 6 to 9 p.m. Monday, at Culler-McAlhany Funeral Home of North, and other times at the home, 112 Pine St., Neeses.

Memorials may be made to Neeses Baptist Church Building Fund.

SoonerJack
6/18/2007, 09:17 AM
One of the few post that have made My Eyes get a lil wet .
God Bless and God spead

True dat and ditto.

olevetonahill
6/18/2007, 09:21 AM
Looks like she passed away yesterday. Sorry Mr and Mrs Homey. :(

Ophelia Corbett Wingard -- Neeses

Monday, June 18, 2007
Ophelia Corbett Wingard, 78, of Neeses, died Sunday, June 17, 2007.

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, June 19, at Neeses Baptist Church, with the Rev. Robert “Bob” Frederick and the Rev. Darrell Boyleston officiating. Burial will be in the Neeses Cemetery.

The casket will be placed in the church at 10 a.m.

Pallbearers will be grandsons and step-grandsons.

Mrs. Wingard was born in Orangeburg County, a daughter of the late Arthur and Matilda Brown Tyler. She was a member of Neeses Baptist Church, where she was a former member of the church choir. She was a former member of the Neeses Town Council and Fire Department.

Survivors include her husband.......(deleted)

She was first married to the late F. F. “Tally” Corbett. She was preceded in death by a son, Ronald M. Tyler.

The family will receive friends from 6 to 9 p.m. Monday, at Culler-McAlhany Funeral Home of North, and other times at the home, 112 Pine St., Neeses.

Memorials may be made to Neeses Baptist Church Building Fund.
Dayum :mad:
Thots an Prayers for the Homeys

Boomer.....
6/18/2007, 10:43 AM
Sorry to hear it. Prayers sent.

85Sooner
6/18/2007, 10:53 AM
Sounds like The BIg Guy has another Angel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

picasso
6/18/2007, 11:56 AM
God bless you and your family Homey.

C&CDean
6/18/2007, 07:07 PM
Goooooood cookin' in heaven tonight. The Saints are gonna get fat.

Be safe y'all.

Okla-homey
6/22/2007, 03:34 PM
Update:

As you know if you read the obit above, we lost her last Saturday night. The whole family was at the bedside when she slipped away to Glory...which is always a good thing.

Daughter and I got here Sunday night having left Tulsa Sunday morning. It was actually pretty cool being with her for 15 hours because we had some great talks -- Dad's of colllege girls probably understand why that is special.

The funeral was Tuesday. As is the custom in the South, we had more food brought to the house than we could possibly eat. And it was all good. I swear, some ladies brought boxes which contained complete meals for ten including entrees, salads, sidedishes and desserts.

The funeral was attended by friends and family from near and far. I saw folks I hadn't seen in over twenty years. As an aside, why does someone have to die in order to precipitate these meetings? Anyway, the weather was hot but clear. The grandchildren delivered a eulogy, completely planned by them in coordination with the minister who officiated and a total surprise to us, that was essentially each kids' favorite "granny" anecdote. There wasn't a dry eye in the church and we were all very proud that these young people could pull it off.

We buried her in the family plot. Nearby are Revy War veterans and quite a few Civil War vets. Mostly 20th SC Vol. Inf. (CSA) which was the regiment raised in that district during the "Late Unpleasantness."

Wednesday was about wills and probate stuff. Looks like Mrs. Homey is coming into some land and some cash -- both of which she'd gladly swap for a bit more time with her Mama.

We fished yesterday at her Mama's favorite spot. The crappie are bedding and we pulled in tons. Family fish fry tonight.

Headed back to the Sooner State tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Will probably overnight in Memphis (we both dig Memphis, having been stationed 60 miles north of there for a few years). Back in T-Town on Sunday. It can be done in 15 hours of hard driving in one swoop, but, no rush now.

That's it in a nutshell. Thanks to each of you for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. It's tough to lose someone dear like that, but as we all know, "Dying is part of living." We are comforted in the knowledge that she is now with our Redeemer where there is no pain or suffering.

Again, you guys are great.

colleyvillesooner
6/22/2007, 03:43 PM
have a safe drive back.

NormanPride
6/22/2007, 03:47 PM
God bless.

TUSooner
6/22/2007, 04:02 PM
Good to hear from you again, bub.
Be careful.

olevetonahill